Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 24 »

Re: What's going there?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Baron-Bay wrote:
Good on you, Voyeur, for getting behind Monty. I do not know the guy, but I am disappointed at the number of JC List contributors who like to joke about businesses that are slow to get their doors open. It takes a great leap of faith and much financial and emotional strain to open ANY business. There are MANY forces to overcome. Delays are not a laughing matter. I took a glance inside in the spring. As far as I can tell, a beautiful, unique space is being created. We should all wish him well and thank him for further contributing to a great, diverse Downtown scene.

I *think* you fail to understand why people comment (and, joke, or make light) of the usual business delays in opening in JC. It isn't that people do not understand or appreciate the hardships and obstacles associated with opening a business. It is the expression of our collective jaded experience... our Buildings Department is regarded by many as the ultimate obstacle for most entrepreneurs. I certainly do not make fun of business owners for failing to meet their expected opening dates. I make fun of the absurdity that is getting inspected and approved to open your doors. Over the past 10 years, it would seem like most new restaurants and bars missed their expected opening dates by many, many months, sometimes years. It is so ridiculous as to have become laughable. Our mayor ran on a platform that, among many things, promised a more streamlined buildings inspection process free of corruption. I am sure there are differing opinions on the progress on this campaign promise, but it would *seem* like things have improved. Over the past year, we have had many new places open in what could be considered record time (by JC standards) and welcoming guests by their announced opening dates. Let's hope things stay on track and we can look forward to many more businesses opening their doors and making all of JC a better place.

for a textbook example of the JC Buildings Dept torpedoing a business before it even had a chance to succeed, see Ox.

While Ox is a great example, their story is a bit complicated. For an even better example: Atomic Wings. It took the guy what? 18 months?? By the time he finally opened, he was so in the hole, he had to sell the business immediately and Bon Chon moved in. That's just wrong.

Posted on: 2015/2/24 15:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Baron-Bay wrote:
Good on you, Voyeur, for getting behind Monty. I do not know the guy, but I am disappointed at the number of JC List contributors who like to joke about businesses that are slow to get their doors open. It takes a great leap of faith and much financial and emotional strain to open ANY business. There are MANY forces to overcome. Delays are not a laughing matter. I took a glance inside in the spring. As far as I can tell, a beautiful, unique space is being created. We should all wish him well and thank him for further contributing to a great, diverse Downtown scene.

I *think* you fail to understand why people comment (and, joke, or make light) of the usual business delays in opening in JC. It isn't that people do not understand or appreciate the hardships and obstacles associated with opening a business. It is the expression of our collective jaded experience... our Buildings Department is regarded by many as the ultimate obstacle for most entrepreneurs. I certainly do not make fun of business owners for failing to meet their expected opening dates. I make fun of the absurdity that is getting inspected and approved to open your doors. Over the past 10 years, it would seem like most new restaurants and bars missed their expected opening dates by many, many months, sometimes years. It is so ridiculous as to have become laughable. Our mayor ran on a platform that, among many things, promised a more streamlined buildings inspection process free of corruption. I am sure there are differing opinions on the progress on this campaign promise, but it would *seem* like things have improved. Over the past year, we have had many new places open in what could be considered record time (by JC standards) and welcoming guests by their announced opening dates. Let's hope things stay on track and we can look forward to many more businesses opening their doors and making all of JC a better place.

for a textbook example of the JC Buildings Dept torpedoing a business before it even had a chance to succeed, see Ox.

+1 - I still feel awful for the owners of Ox, one of whom we've become friendly with after being regulars for the short time they were open. I do think businesses are opening more efficiently now than before. I believe if Ox were to have opened now, they would have been able to stay open. They were one of the first more forward-thinking/contemporary restaurants, in terms of cuisine.

Now we've got Box Spring.

Posted on: 2015/2/24 0:32

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/10 17:47
Group:
Registered Users
Fair enough. Perhaps the comments that made an impact on me were read in isolation, and thereby misinterpreted. In any case, thanks for the clarification.

Posted on: 2015/2/23 22:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Baron-Bay wrote:

Posted on: 2015/2/23 20:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Baron-Bay wrote:

Posted on: 2015/2/23 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
I'll go for the great chili. If the street fair chili is any guide, it's terrific.

Posted on: 2015/2/23 14:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/10 17:47
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/2/23 14:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frinjc wrote:
Anyone knows someone from Monty's on newark by grove? It looks like there is some leak coming from their roof or sprinkler. The wood frame around the entrance is leaking from inside.

I saw something there too this morning about 11.15am. A ton of water right there in the recessed doorway which looked like melted snow, but that brown paper covering the door windows was wet on the inside.

Looked like some kind of leak coming from the roof/burst pipes. This poor guy seems to have had a hell of a time getting this bar up and running. I hope for his sake that this is not another setback.

If he ever opens up I'll stop in for a pint or three opening night just to get the guy on his feet.

Posted on: 2015/2/22 20:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone knows someone from Monty's on newark by grove? It looks like there is some leak coming from their roof or sprinkler. The wood frame around the entrance is leaking from inside.

Posted on: 2015/2/22 19:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/27 13:11
From Hudson County
Group:
Registered Users
Whats going on Puccini's? Staying the way it is?

Posted on: 2015/2/18 0:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
westchester county and long island are not building enuff housing,while hudson county building is booming.....sounds like some of you would be happier in long island or westchester county

http://newyorkyimby.com/2015/02/westc ... ing-permit-approvals.html

Posted on: 2015/2/15 15:49

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sp2xs wrote:

On another note, anyone know what's going on with the old food co-op / Goods & Greens in the Silverman building facing Hamilton Park? It's on the corner of the same block as Milk Sugar Love and GP's. Originally it seemed like it was on its way to becoming the new home of a photography photo, but that "coming soon" sign is gone and I haven't seen any construction. It's a really nice space, would love to see it put to good use for the neighborhood...

Looks like the Jersey City Art School is opening a location there...

Posted on: 2015/2/15 0:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bearbear2013 wrote:
I noticed that this morning, the lot next to it is empty too? Not sure if they're related?

tommyc_37, yes the barbershop building!

I wonder if they can go as high as the building diagonally across the street?

Posted on: 2015/2/13 15:57

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/2 21:46
Group:
Registered Users
I noticed that this morning, the lot next to it is empty too? Not sure if they're related?

tommyc_37, yes the barbershop building!

Posted on: 2015/2/13 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
they are tearing down the red brick house on the lot on the corner of barrow and columbus. any idea what they are building?

Where Don Contron barbershop was?

Posted on: 2015/2/13 0:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
they are tearing down the red brick house on the lot on the corner of barrow and columbus. any idea what they are building?

New Concept Grocery: 0.5% Foods

Posted on: 2015/2/12 22:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/2/12 22:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/16 17:45
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

sp2xs wrote:
Love the Shining reference in the new bar's name. Hopefully it's as cool as you're alluding to.

On another note, anyone know what's going on with the old food co-op / Goods & Greens in the Silverman building facing Hamilton Park? It's on the corner of the same block as Milk Sugar Love and GP's. Originally it seemed like it was on its way to becoming the new home of a photography photo, but that "coming soon" sign is gone and I haven't seen any construction. It's a really nice space, would love to see it put to good use for the neighborhood...

Originally the photo place was going to be there temporarily and then move to a new space in the building that will be going up next door. The idea was Silverman really wanted food/retail of some sort there.

Since then food has gone into Smith and Chang and they took down the sign, so I'm not sure what is going on now.

Thanks, makes sense. I think it is a great spot for a casual caf? where you wouldn't mind grabbing takeout for lunch or grabbing a quick bite for dinner. Kind of like a better version of Basic.

Posted on: 2015/2/5 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JGJDNYCJC wrote:
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
FYI- I drove by Columbus and Grove and saw a big dumpster in the street. They cleaned out the old Hard Grove Caf? and Grove Florist spaces. It looks like they connected the two spaces.

I walked past that store recently and saw a construction disclosure notice that bore the words "PNC Bank." I guess that's what's coming soon.

No surprise there, as it had been announced a long time ago that a PNC branch was going there. How creative, right?

Posted on: 2015/2/5 21:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sp2xs wrote:
Love the Shining reference in the new bar's name. Hopefully it's as cool as you're alluding to.

Originally the photo place was going to be there temporarily and then move to a new space in the building that will be going up next door. The idea was Silverman really wanted food/retail of some sort there.

Since then food has gone into Smith and Chang and they took down the sign, so I'm not sure what is going on now.

Posted on: 2015/2/5 21:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/16 17:45
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/2/5 20:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I also saw the PNC notice on the window, that's a bummer.

I was hoping a pizza place would take over the space.

A pizza/Asian-Fusion/Nail Salon with a Whole Foods kiosk

Posted on: 2015/2/5 19:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

I was hoping a pizza place would take over the space.

Posted on: 2015/2/5 19:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
That's what the tenants were told quite some time ago. I was surprised to see a realtor's sign in the window, given the PNC deal.

Posted on: 2015/2/5 19:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/2/5 18:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
FYI- I drove by Columbus and Grove and saw a big dumpster in the street. They cleaned out the old Hard Grove Caf? and Grove Florist spaces. It looks like they connected the two spaces.

I walked past that store recently and saw a construction disclosure notice that bore the words "PNC Bank." I guess that's what's coming soon.

Posted on: 2015/2/5 17:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/2/5 17:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
So it seems that Brian from Park & Sixth has partnered with the owners of The Garret, which is the secret cocktail bar above the Five Guys on 7th Avenue in the Village, to open this spot Dullboy. Pretty exciting stuff I say.

Posted on: 2015/2/5 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/24 5:16
Group:
Registered Users
Cool, he's building an empire! Thanks for the info.

Posted on: 2015/1/18 3:15

Re: Dull Boy Bar
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/2 21:46
Group:
Registered Users
Brian Dowling still owns the original Park & Sixth space. He was originally going to sell it once he opened the new Grove St space but decided to reopen it as a bar instead.

Posted on: 2015/1/18 2:31

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 24 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017