Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Re: Christie & Cuomo Support Eliminating Weekend Overnight PATH Service
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Overnight PATH cut plan officially dead, Port Authority says

Port Authority board chairman John Degnan said he will table a proposal to end overnight PATH train service.

In a Jan. 13 letter to State Senate President Steven Sweeney and Assembly Speaker Vincent Prieto, Degnan said the proposal has been tabled after they met and the lawmakers requested the Port Authority end consideration of eliminating overnight PATH service.

"I have agreed to do so," Degnan wrote. "The panel's suggestion hasn't even been present to the board of commissioners."

Degnan said no steps would be taken without appropriate study, public hearings and consultation with lawmakers in both states if the idea to end overnight service was reconsidered.

More

Posted on: 2015/1/14 17:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:

I think you misread my post. Your post actually affirmed what I claimed.

Are you saying we should only build high speed rail networks to destinations within 500 miles of hub cities? The majority of the population of the country lives within a 500 mile radius of large cities.

Nobody is suggesting that NYC to LA by high speed is going to be popular. But NYC to cities within 500 miles gets you to Cleveland. Also: Atlantic City, Richmond, Charlottesville, Wheeling, Columbus, Pittsburg, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Montpelier, Portland, and Boston. Build a similar 500 mile radius network from Chicago that includes Cleveland and Columbus -- meaning without breaking the 500 mile rule, there could be a singular connection to NYC. Build a network from Atlanta, and Richmond becomes the common link. Build a 500 mile network from Dallas? Atlanta connects at New Orleans. Sure, places like Montana, Wyoming, the Dakotas don't necessarily need high speed rail systems, but everything east of the Mississippi as well as the west coast would absolutely justify a complex and integrated high speed rail network.

Posted on: 2015/1/14 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
The Wrong PATH

NEWYORKOBSERVER
By The Editors | 01/13/15 8:56pm

Now that the Dallas Cowboys? playoff run is over, perhaps Chris Christie can spare a few moments to tell us what he thinks of an astoundingly foolish proposal to end PATH service between Manhattan and Jersey City on weekdays between 1 and 5 in the morning.

There was nothing but silence from the famously blunt-speaking governor for days after the Port Authority issued a report showing that it could save a piddling $10 million a year by eliminating this vital link between Manhattan and a city that has become a virtual sixth borough. Finally, we did hear from his forward-focused transportation commissioner, Jamie Fox, the other day. He said he thought it was a bad idea. That?s progress.

It?s more than a bad idea. It is an assault on the governor?s home turf and a potential blow to the regional economy. If the Port Authority really is interested in bringing its colossal spending under control, there are better ways to save what amounts to a rounding error in its annual operating budget of $7.8 billion.

One of the few bright spots in New Jersey?s lackluster recovery over the last few years has been the continued revitalization of Jersey City (and, to be sure, neighboring Hoboken as well?a city also connected to Manhattan via the PATH, as are Newark and Harrison). The vaunted New Jersey economic comeback has been more of a slogan than a reality, as the state?s stubbornly high unemployment rate shows. Put simply, the state needs the kind of residential and commercial investment that has been pouring into Jersey City.

Read more:
http://observer.com/2015/01/the-wrong-path/

Posted on: 2015/1/14 7:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:

High speed rail (120+ mph) is only viable between urban areas that are less than 500 miles apart. One example would be the Boston to Washington DC corridor. Amtrak claims their Acela service, unlike the rest of Amtrak, is actually cash flow positive.

Anything farther or less dense, you are better off taking a regional puddle jumper jet or turbo prop.

This is a silly, non-factual statement. There are many high-speed rail lines that run shorter routes. One Example would be Kyoto to Tokyo (300 miles). Another example would be Amsterdam to Paris (300 miles). London to Paris (280 miles). Shanghai's Maglev is only 20 miles long.

I think you misread my post. Your post actually affirmed what I claimed.

Posted on: 2015/1/13 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
I want a flying, Technicolor unicorn to transport me anywhere I want to go, whenever I want.

Just who's going to pay for it?

Given that NJ is just about last at receiving money back from DC (yes, cue up-it's all going to red states!) our Senators should demand infrastructure money. What good is having two Democrats in the Senate if they aren't going to bring us some sugar back?

Posted on: 2015/1/13 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:

High speed rail (120+ mph) is only viable between urban areas that are less than 500 miles apart. One example would be the Boston to Washington DC corridor. Amtrak claims their Acela service, unlike the rest of Amtrak, is actually cash flow positive.

Anything farther or less dense, you are better off taking a regional puddle jumper jet or turbo prop.

This is a silly, non-factual statement. There are many high-speed rail lines that run shorter routes. One Example would be Kyoto to Tokyo (300 miles). Another example would be Amsterdam to Paris (300 miles). London to Paris (280 miles). Shanghai's Maglev is only 20 miles long.

The "high speed rail has limited viability" is a conservative talking point that has no basis in reality. Meanwhile the rest of the world is building the next generation high speed rail systems while people are regurgitating the half-truths of conservative machine politics.

Posted on: 2015/1/13 14:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nafco wrote:
By the way, perhaps that $10 million number is accurate but did anyone question that amount or just take it as fact? It came from the PATH so its likely they pumped those numbers up to make themselves look like they're saving us more. I could be wrong but 4 hours a day for 365 days is about 1460 hours a year. It costs $10m to run the PATH for 1460 hours? Maybe it does, but at this point I just dont trust a single thing the PATH tells me.

i agree.

and if it does cost that much, perhaps that is the PATH's fault and they should have some accountability in making their operations more efficient. #whoamikidding

Posted on: 2015/1/13 14:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
By the way, perhaps that $10 million number is accurate but did anyone question that amount or just take it as fact? It came from the PATH so its likely they pumped those numbers up to make themselves look like they're saving us more. I could be wrong but 4 hours a day for 365 days is about 1460 hours a year. It costs $10m to run the PATH for 1460 hours? Maybe it does, but at this point I just dont trust a single thing the PATH tells me.

Posted on: 2015/1/13 13:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcman420 wrote:
Brian Thompson, who covers NJ for WNBC, sent out the following tweets this evening, apparently live from some type of public hearing:

"@brian4NY: Breaking: @GovChristie Trans. Commish says "No" to PATH cutbacks http://t.co/sMro3IzYFK?

"@brian4NY: Who knew so many know Harrison. Live at 6 on huge PATH development. #nbc4ny http://t.co/LVz2ZZn39z"

Didn't get to see the news segment and haven't seen any other stories.

Good, I hope this is accurate. It is one of the few issues where EVERYONE can agree.

Posted on: 2015/1/13 4:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/28 15:24
Group:
Registered Users
Brian Thompson, who covers NJ for WNBC, sent out the following tweets this evening, apparently live from some type of public hearing:

"@brian4NY: Breaking: @GovChristie Trans. Commish says "No" to PATH cutbacks http://t.co/sMro3IzYFK?

"@brian4NY: Who knew so many know Harrison. Live at 6 on huge PATH development. #nbc4ny http://t.co/LVz2ZZn39z"

Didn't get to see the news segment and haven't seen any other stories.

Posted on: 2015/1/13 3:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe if Christie didn't appoint corrupt scumbags like Samson, that $10m wouldn't be a big deal. Instead he pockets hudreds of thousands so his client can save millions. But, yeah, the problem is running the train overnight...

Posted on: 2015/1/6 22:32
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
The whole "last option" thing is BS.

The panel was supposed to examine corruption. Which costs way more than 10M a year.

But in typical Christie and Port Authority fashion, the Port Authority was used as a revenge mechanism against the people who dared to oppose the governor.

BTW, speaking of the Cowboys, Jerry Jones was just awarded a Port Authority concession, right between Christie being in the owner's booth.

What a coincidence.

BTW, back to the 10M on the PATH only for drunks rabble rabble!

Posted on: 2015/1/6 21:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nafco wrote:
And people really think we will ever join other first-world countries and have high-speed rail in this country when we cant even hold onto the infrastructure and service we have now?

Posted on: 2015/1/6 20:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nafco wrote:
And people really think we will ever join other first-world countries and have high-speed rail in this country when we cant even hold onto the infrastructure and service we have now?

THIS.

Posted on: 2015/1/6 20:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I suspect cutting overnight service was never a serious option, and that the intended effect by Christie and Cuomo was to get people talking about that instead of overall Port Authority reform. And it seems to be working quite well.

Posted on: 2015/1/6 19:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/1/6 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

And lets hope it never comes to fruition. But the fact that its even on the table is embarrassing and shows how little Christie and the Port Authority cares about the large cities that use the PATH. They've done things like this with no accountability and its not unreasonable that something like this could happen again.

There are several problems - JC is neither Christie's nor Cuomo's target demographic for their respective political aspirations; the Port Authority was not conceived to run a railroad or transit system; and the PA is too closely tied to politicians whose agendas are toxic to the well being of the NJ metropolitan area. Presumably, being under FRA jurisdiction would entitle PATH to FTA grants or funding that would really help it, but a quick look at (at least, funding since 9/11) shows the bulk of this money has gone to various governor's vanity projects http://www.fta.dot.gov/printer_friendly/region2_929.html

I think it's beyond embarrassing that this is even on the table, and goes beyond a profound misunderstanding of what it takes to empower a healthy urban area from a suburban mentality such as Christie's. It's throwing the region under the proverbial bus (of course, if it were the NJT 87 bus you would have all day to get out of it's way...) for political gain.

Posted on: 2015/1/6 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Operating costs have risen 30%. You don't think a study on cost containment is warranted? (And I oppose the idea of shutting the trains down at night-it's only a $10 million dollar savings at this point.) But who knows what the deficit could grow to?

It is well documented that their costs are out of control. There are yearly stories discussing the millions of dollars in overtime spending.

More importantly, people have been trying to get them to open their books for years. You don't think that's warranted? Too bad Christie and Cuomo blocked this bipartisan, unanimous effort.

Posted on: 2015/1/6 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Its clearly a prelude and justification for a toll hike and fare increase.

Posted on: 2015/1/6 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Operating costs have risen 30%. You don't think a study on cost containment is warranted? (And I oppose the idea of shutting the trains down at night-it's only a $10 million dollar savings at this point.) But who knows what the deficit could grow to?

Quote:

nafco wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Personally, I'm 75% sure there is some political subtext here, and this is a prelude to someone's future campaign and/or deal brokering and won't really happen. The importune spotlight on the impact for inebriated, privileged, 20-somethings notwithstanding the development of NJ's gold coast is too dependent on 24/7 access to Manhattan, and the real $takeholder$ (e.g., developers, international finance, etc.) will fight this.

bingo.

The thread title is wrong, no? No plan is approved, or has even undergone scrutiny.

?Curtailment of PATH service would be a last resort,? Port Authority Chairman John Degnan said in a statement on Monday. ?This is only one of several ideas being considered to get the PATH deficit under control.?

Degnan said service would only be cut after the Port Authority received input from local elected officials and held public hearings.

And lets hope it never comes to fruition. But the fact that its even on the table is embarrassing and shows how little Christie and the Port Authority cares about the large cities that use the PATH. They've done things like this with no accountability and its not unreasonable that something like this could happen again.

Posted on: 2015/1/6 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nafco wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Personally, I'm 75% sure there is some political subtext here, and this is a prelude to someone's future campaign and/or deal brokering and won't really happen. The importune spotlight on the impact for inebriated, privileged, 20-somethings notwithstanding the development of NJ's gold coast is too dependent on 24/7 access to Manhattan, and the real $takeholder$ (e.g., developers, international finance, etc.) will fight this.

bingo.

The thread title is wrong, no? No plan is approved, or has even undergone scrutiny.

?Curtailment of PATH service would be a last resort,? Port Authority Chairman John Degnan said in a statement on Monday. ?This is only one of several ideas being considered to get the PATH deficit under control.?

Degnan said service would only be cut after the Port Authority received input from local elected officials and held public hearings.

again, i ask what has christie doen for nj?

Posted on: 2015/1/6 14:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:

bingo.

Posted on: 2015/1/6 13:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:

bingo.

Posted on: 2015/1/6 12:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:

bingo.

Posted on: 2015/1/6 7:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Opinion: There?s No Good Time to Announce Bad News -- Not Even Friday Afternoon

NJSPOTLIGHT
Carl Golden | January 5, 2015

As Gov. Christie and Gov. Cuomo learned, issuing a Port Authority press release before the weekend only made it more visible

Perhaps the most enduring tradition in government holds that when it?s necessary to announce unwelcome or embarrassing news, it?s best to do it late on a Friday afternoon -- ideally at the start of a three-day holiday weekend -- in the belief it will be seen or heard by a fraction of the audience it might normally attract in the middle of the workweek.

While the practice might not date quite as far back as the dawn of the Republic, it?s been followed for years by presidents, governors, mayors, and anyone else in elected office that cling tenaciously to the theory that people are preoccupied with weekend or holiday activities and gloss over news about politics and government or ignore it altogether.

Read more:
http://www.njspotlight.com/stories/15 ... ime-to-announce-bad-news/

Posted on: 2015/1/6 7:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop rips Ports Authority Chairman John Degnan

Hudson County View
January 5, 2015 - Jersey City, Politics & Policy -
Written by John Heinis

Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop ripped Port Authority Chairman John Degnan for having a lack of understanding about how important the PATH is to commuters at a packed press conference calling for the elimination of any possibility of cutting overnight PATH service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPGhHAO-N1E

Read more:
http://hudsoncountyview.com/jersey-ci ... ity-chairman-john-degnan/

Posted on: 2015/1/6 7:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/28 4:29
Group:
Registered Users
Even in the Times...

Plan to End Overnight PATH Service Irks Riders

In the underworld of the subway, it can be hard to tell day from night. The high and low tides of passengers are usually one clue of the time.

The PATH platform at Ninth Street in Manhattan at 2:30 in the morning can be a bit disorienting, then, looking more like midday than the middle of the night. As dozens of people waited at that hour on a recent weekday, the only real tipoffs to the time were the drowsy eyes and drooping heads.

As the New Jersey-bound train to Hoboken and Journal Square pulled in, 35 minutes after the previous one, it was standing room only.

?It?s like Tokyo sometimes: You have to push your way on, and then you?re stuck like a sardine,? Carlos Parada said. He was on his way home to Journal Square after his shift at Strip House, a steakhouse on East 12th Street in Manhattan.

As if Mr. Parada?s commute were not grueling enough, he and thousands of his fellow riders found out there could be no commute whatsoever in the future. At the end of December, their Legislatures already adjourned, Governors Andrew M. Cuomo of New York and Chris Christie of New Jersey, vetoed a sweeping bill that would have reformed the agency. The governors, who jointly control the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, then unveiled a report of their own calling for changes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/05/nyr ... rs.html?ref=nyregion&_r=0

Posted on: 2015/1/6 1:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/13 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Christie has no time to bother with PATH, he's cheering on the Cowboys.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/1/6 1:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nafco wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
I tried calling the Port Authority and asking about this, all I get is "we don't know anything". No response to emails either.

The PATH manages to recover 41% of its costs from fares. Not great, but FAR higher than the 7% that the stupid RiverLine that goes from Trenton to Camden recovers, and Christie has nothing to say about that. The PATH train transports over 240,000 people a day, the RiverLine maybe 10,000 on a good day. Am I missing something here?

Maybe youre missing that Christie is a shitty politician that happens to not care about most of the citizens that live here. Only making big waves before a presidential run.

As for Port Authority, lets review what that garbage of an agency has done just this year.
1. Shut down one of the busiest bridges in the country, made no official apology of letting such corruption take place
2. Cut PATH service for about a year to WTC at night
3. Then continued to raise fares for bridges, tunnels and the PATH.
4. Now they want to Cut more service altogether at night to save chump change when they are dumping money into other things that are wasting much more than $10 million.

All PA does is #OOPS# over the public who need it. And no one is to blame and no one can stop it. This is basically criminal activity.

Don't forget 5. Approved a useless PATH extension to the Newark Airport at an estimated cost of $1.5 BILLION.

Posted on: 2015/1/5 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Last 87 bus from Hoboken to Heights - 12:15am
Last 84 bus from JSQ to Heights - 1:40am
Last 123 bus from Port Authority to Heights 1:45am

(all the above times are for Saturday). I've seen the future for nightlife if this goes through, and it looks like... living in the Heights!!

Posted on: 2015/1/5 18:33

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017