Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
159 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 159

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 »

Re: Fulop wants to change the election from May to November
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I guess you don't remember the 1989 election. There was 20 candidates who filed as mayor, most had complete slates. If every slate was complete that would be 180 people on the ballot. Could that happen again? Perhaps, but now the November ballot has general election, school board and questions. I don't buy the argument that Fulop wants to save money when he just gave raises of $1 million. This means there would be no run-off, so we can have a mayor with 30% of the vote and the present mayor council would be in office 6 months longer. Fulop is becoming a real politician, he wants to make sure he has a job whether it is governor or mayor as a second choice. This is a bad policy. All mayors should have 50% of the vote.

How often does a politician who loses a higher office election revert to a previous position? I cannot recall a single instance in recent memory. If this red herring is the best argument against the move, then I see nothing wrong with it.

John McCain.

Don't forget John Kerry. Or Joe Lieberman, although he was "just" a Vice Presidential running mate. Both remained in the Senate after being on the losing ticket of their respective presidential elections.

Nevertheless, I am 100% in support of Steven Fulop doing this, nor do I care if it establishes a "safety net" for him. Being a Wall Street person, he clearly is not in government for the money. With or without a safety net, he will be gainfully employed somehow.

Also, although this potential $400,000 in savings is just a small amount of the municipal budget and wouldn't amount to much in reduced property taxes for individual property owners around the city, $400,000 could buy a couple of police cars, school textbooks or allow the city to hire some decent animal control employees who actually care and don't dump stray cats in Lincoln Park.

Posted on: 2015/1/12 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I guess you don't remember the 1989 election. There was 20 candidates who filed as mayor, most had complete slates. If every slate was complete that would be 180 people on the ballot. Could that happen again? Perhaps, but now the November ballot has general election, school board and questions. I don't buy the argument that Fulop wants to save money when he just gave raises of $1 million. This means there would be no run-off, so we can have a mayor with 30% of the vote and the present mayor council would be in office 6 months longer. Fulop is becoming a real politician, he wants to make sure he has a job whether it is governor or mayor as a second choice. This is a bad policy. All mayors should have 50% of the vote.

How often does a politician who loses a higher office election revert to a previous position? I cannot recall a single instance in recent memory. If this red herring is the best argument against the move, then I see nothing wrong with it.

John McCain.

Posted on: 2015/1/12 14:12
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
term limits - I do not believe it come under the purview of local government. they may have pledged to honor two terms, but do NOT have the power or authority to change. the council president may have "promised" term limits when he ran in the 2011 special election, but it would have been an empty statement.

1989 ballot mess - would have had to be a special election. are there really 20 bonafide mayoral candidates and full council teams in Jersey City? I think there were five candidates/teams after mayor Cunningham passed away. special elections do not need to be on the November ballot.

my only concern with moving municipal elections to the november ballot, would be for it to take effect after this term.

Posted on: 2015/1/12 13:41

Edited by DanL on 2015/1/12 13:59:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
So Jersey City elections are supposed to be Fulop's safety net? Fulop has turned into a real politician. It is obvious you did not live here in 1989 when 20 mayors and their council were placed on the ballot. This can happen again, and yes, it would be confusing along with questions, school races, and state races.

Its called democracy - Anyone can be on the ballot even you Yvonne, providing you meet the prerequisite and yes I was here and born in Bayonne.

If you find it all a bit confusing, allow yourself extra time to fill out the ballot. I'd rather commit to an hour of questions and votes in one hit - Alternatively, do a postal vote if its all too hard and confusing for you.

As for the Fulop reference to a politician, I'm glad he is and not acting as a shoe salesman in the Mayoral role!

Posted on: 2015/1/12 4:49
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Elections serve the public not the politicians, the ballot would be unreadable, if 5 tickets would result in 50 additional names on the ballot, how do you have a readable ballot along with the rest of the election? It would be like reading the fine print you find in commercials. The public, not politicians, deserve better.

Resized Image

So Jersey City elections are supposed to be Fulop's safety net? Fulop has turned into a real politician. It is obvious you did not live here in 1989 when 20 mayors and their council were placed on the ballot. This can happen again, and yes, it would be confusing along with questions, school races, and state races.

Posted on: 2015/1/12 3:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Elections serve the public not the politicians, the ballot would be unreadable, if 5 tickets would result in 50 additional names on the ballot, how do you have a readable ballot along with the rest of the election? It would be like reading the fine print you find in commercials. The public, not politicians, deserve better.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/1/12 2:37
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Difficult to read? if something this simple is confusing then maybe those people should not be voting at all. If they can't figure out a simple layout scheme then I'm pretty sure they don't understand the basic issues, let alone all the nuances of politics

Posted on: 2015/1/12 2:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This is just a safety net for Fulop, he also promised term limits but now he is silent on that promise. A ballot that is confused with many names will be difficult to read. If people want to vote that is their choice or their choice to ignore an election. I don't buy the argument this is more convenient for voters. There have been a number of people who came in second on the first round but won the run-off. We need to keep that process.

Posted on: 2015/1/12 1:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I will vote YES. Maximizing the number of voters is the most important even if it makes the ballot more complicated. We need as much democratic participation as possible. Look at what is going on in the world and be happy you live in America.

Posted on: 2015/1/12 1:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop says this will say $400,000 which the the salary of 4 cops at step 10 under the new contract. The only election that has a low turnout is the primary but no one is saying let's get rid of that. Hopefully, the public will vote no if placed on the ballot.

Posted on: 2015/1/11 19:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Christie could've appointed someone to fill the Senate seat for the rest of the term. The special election was a gift to Democrats.

Posted on: 2015/1/11 18:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
One loses interest in things when elections & forums before the election are stretched out over months. Wasn't it a few years ago it seems that every election there could be fell in the same year? School, primaries, general over the course of a couple of months. Talk about overload. Also cost is to be considered. On this some will agree & some will not. It is what it is.

We had six elections in 2013, which is just totally absurd -- and partly Christie's fault for making the senate race a special election instead of part of the general. Voted in all of them, and would have much, much preferred one election with more races. (Well, one primary/general/runoff series -- AFAIK no one's said anything about removing the potential for a runoff if no one gets 50% of the vote?) In all those elections, I never once waited in line except for the general, when there was one person ahead of me.

I hate the layout of our ballots too, but that's a separate issue. It's the hardest to read I've ever seen (and I learned to vote on the infamous Florida "butterfly ballot"!).

Posted on: 2015/1/11 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Political Insider: Fulop keeps a campaign promise to provide himself with a safety net

By Agustin C. Torres | The Jersey Journal
January 10, 2015 at 8:17 AM

Unannounced Democratic gubernatorial candidate Steve Fulop, who also happens to be mayor of Jersey City, wants a public referendum in November that asks voters to move the nonpartisan municipal election from a spring tradition to the general melee held each November.

In a statement, where I can almost envision ?Mr. Rogers? explaining the rationale behind this effort to the neighborhood kids, Fulop says November elections would mean saving $400,000 each year and prevents the always dangerous affliction of ?voter fatigue." City elections call for picking a mayor and the nine members of the City Council for four-year terms.

The mayor wants to avoid ballot shock caused by casting votes in a May city election, taking part in possible June runoffs, tackling a primary, and, after a summer of rest, having to face a November election day. Apparently, they don?t make voters like they once did. Now you can even mail in your vote. Someday you can vote on your PlayStation or smartphone with little wear and tear.

It would have been easier to just say switching from May to November was honoring a campaign pledge to save money and prevent a mayor from taking office with a low voter turnout. Journal reporter Terrence McDonald wrote about one obvious reason when the referendum effort was announced.

The move would also give Fulop a safety net if he decides to run for governor.

Read more:
http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2 ... lf_with_a_safety_net.html

Posted on: 2015/1/11 4:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Boggiano won due to the run-off, he came in second at the first election and first at the run-offs. The debates helped him so runoffs are important. This law would eliminate runoffs.

Posted on: 2015/1/11 4:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
When I checked the Hudson County Elections, I could not make a comparison which voters had a higher turnout. During a general election, the results are reported by districts which includes parts of JC and other towns. Only the municipal elections only includes JC. The statement that more people will vote cannot be proven. What is definite, there will be a confusing ballot that will not serve the public.

It can't be proven if we don't try it.

If people are confused by a particularly long ballot, maybe they're too dumb to make an informed selection of a candidate(s) in the first place.

Posted on: 2015/1/11 2:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
When I checked the Hudson County Elections, I could not make a comparison which voters had a higher turnout. During a general election, the results are reported by districts which includes parts of JC and other towns. Only the municipal elections only includes JC. The statement that more people will vote cannot be proven. What is definite, there will be a confusing ballot that will not serve the public.

Posted on: 2015/1/10 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
30% of a 50% percent turnout is more votes than 51% of a 20% or even 25% turnout.

it comes down to having more people participate (vote.)

again, regarding concerns about it benefiting the current mayor, the referendum can be worded to take effect after the next municipal election, not before.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
You will have the mayor winning with less than 50% of the vote and that is not right. These are non-partisan elections.

Posted on: 2015/1/10 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

amc wrote:
2013 November Election Sample Ballot

BOE candidates listed at the bottom, very messy for voters

The instructions are unclear, the layout needs improvement. That has nothing to do with the date of the election, or even the number of people on the ballot.

(Bigger turnout + saving money) > (fewer names on the ballot)

The voting machines in the past, the mechanical ones, were larger, more names could be placed on the screen. The newer voting machines are smaller, with a limited screen space. We are talking about saving $400,000 a year out of a budget of $516 million. The municipal election happens once every 4 years. The people who work are mostly senior citizens on a limited budget. If the city can save a developer millions on his tax abatement, it can afford to spend $400,000 every four years. Even the Jersey Journal call this a safety net for Fulop , it is not about serving the public.

Posted on: 2015/1/10 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
agreed the ballot handed the election to the winners, but the next year, November 2014 it was far improved and more neutral - 2014 sample ballot

Quote:

amc wrote:

Hudson County Board of Elections

Posted on: 2015/1/10 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

amc wrote:

The instructions are unclear, the layout needs improvement. That has nothing to do with the date of the election, or even the number of people on the ballot.

(Bigger turnout + saving money) > (fewer names on the ballot)

Posted on: 2015/1/10 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Toonces wrote:
Check out The Wire seasons 4 and 5 and tell me Carcetti doesn't remind you of Fulop...

Yes!!!

Posted on: 2015/1/10 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for posting amc, imagine doubling the number of board of ed candidates plus 50 candidates for mayor/council. The mayor and council elections are too important to cluttered up with other elections. Saying it would increase voter participation by moving, is nonsense. If people vote without knowing the issue, they would vote according to racial names.

Posted on: 2015/1/10 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/11 10:27
Group:
Registered Users

Hudson County Board of Elections

Posted on: 2015/1/10 14:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Getting more voters to the poll is always good. Voting should be mandatory imho but there is no way it will be made law in this country.

Posted on: 2015/1/10 14:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

The last mayoral election had 25% turnout and the one before had 20% turnout. Mayors in this town have always won with far less than 50% of the vote. If moving the election from May to November increases turnout AND saves money, I'm all for it. I think that Healy was against the election being in November simply because it would have increased turnout and there is a strong chance it would have cut his career short. Fulop pushed for this when he was a councilmember and he's pushing for this as mayor, so at least this is consistent.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
You will have the mayor winning with less than 50% of the vote and that is not right. These are non-partisan elections.

Posted on: 2015/1/10 13:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
moving the election to november, it seems to me, would generate greater voter turnout

Right you are hero69, there are several cities already doing this & have seen an increase in voter turnout. Anything that accomplishes this should be seriously considered. Making it easier for people to rememeber to vote may increase civic participation. One loses interest in things when elections & forums before the election are stretched out over months. Wasn't it a few years ago it seems that every election there could be fell in the same year? School, primaries, general over the course of a couple of months. Talk about overload. Also cost is to be considered. On this some will agree & some will not. It is what it is.

Posted on: 2015/1/10 11:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/1/10 4:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
there is a lot of merit to the idea and the mayor is proposing to do it through referendum (putting it to the voters)

first and foremost it would increase increase voter participation (turnout)

help reduce voter fatigue with reducing the number of elections in a calendar year.

a couple of things to help ensure a positive outcome -

- take effect after the currently office municipal office term (the council approves the referendum)

- create a party neutral ballot for municipal candidates. in the 2013 November School Board Elections, those candidates that fell under the Democratic line won, in 2014 the ballot was made more neutral. I am confident that if there is a will there is a way to make the ballot neutral for non-partisan elections.

and I did not even consider cost.

Posted on: 2015/1/10 3:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The public supports/pay for the elections. This change means someone can win with less than 50% of the vote. Only a candidate with a lot of money can overcome that especially when there will be no run-offs. So yes, the elections are about serving the public and the public interest. It should not be used as a safety net in case Fulop does not win the primary.
maybe there should be primaries in jc?

Posted on: 2015/1/10 3:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The public supports/pay for the elections. This change means someone can win with less than 50% of the vote. Only a candidate with a lot of money can overcome that especially when there will be no run-offs. So yes, the elections are about serving the public and the public interest. It should not be used as a safety net in case Fulop does not win the primary.

Posted on: 2015/1/10 2:59

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017