Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
54 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 54

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Officials break ground on $54M elementary school in Jersey City Heights
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I thought this was interesting..

Does Hudson County's school districts give families the most value for their buck?

The answer is no, according to a new report by NerdWallet.com that put most Hudson County high schools in the bottom half of their Best School Districts for Your Buck in New Jersey list.

Are parents getting their money's worth? Report ranks value of high schools

Posted on: 2015/1/22 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
You can see how easily wasted taxpayer money is re:school construction. Here Hudson County's Bayonne bonded money for school construction, with the deal being the Board of Ed would return the money upon completion of the construction when they were re-imbursed by the School Development Authority.

Well, in order to get re-imbursed the School Board has to provide a paper trail saying they followed certain procurement processes.

You know, pesky things like avoiding no-bid contracts, or giving the contract to the low bidder.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... y_fire_director_iden.html

Posted on: 2015/1/14 19:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
Yvonne, its not property taxes and water that are putting a strain on young parents - its the big ticket items, like massive student loans and mortgages (a 2 bedroom condo in JC these days cost $600,000+). And many younger folks aren't putting their kids in Catholic schools because they no longer believe in the strict tenants (and benefits) of a Catholic education. The Catholic Church is facing this as an overarching issue in Church attendance; hence the major closings and consolidations of many churches in the NYC / NJ area (as well as nationwide). This has nothing to do with Charter Schools.

St. Peter's Prep is less affected because it runs a stellar academic program at a much cheaper price than private tuition at other schools (thanks again to the subsidy of the Catholic Church).

Posted on: 2015/1/14 3:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
The Catholic school population decreased because parents put them in Charter schools. Let's face it, property taxes plus water have put a strain on parents, along with the economy. When the number of students decrease in a school, the Catholic diocese make a decision to close schools. Parochial Catholic schools come from the local community but private Catholic schools, like St. Peter's Prep receive their population from NYC and the surrounding communities. Their tuition is still cheaper than private schools in NYC, so they have not been effected.

Posted on: 2015/1/14 3:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Yvonne - your statement that Catholic schools are now Charter schools is totally nonsensical. The Catholic schools were put out of commission by the Catholic Church itself, as it has to cut costs and catholic schools were often heavily subsidized by the Church. The subsidy from the Catholic Church as a whole is the only reason that tuition at Catholic schools was so much less expensive than other private options ( say 8000 a year vs. 20,000). That is the reason so many catholic schools in NYC and NJ are closing -the Church can't (or doesn't want to ) afford them anymore. Charter schools are a completely separate issue . NYC has plenty of them that operate very successfully. Jersey City should as well, particularly because our public school system is less than stellar.

Posted on: 2015/1/14 2:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Those billions disappear when McGreevey was governor. A report was done by the acting governor then but as usual nothing was done to the people who wasted the money. Now, you have Fulop saying he wants a public/private partnership to build pre-k schools. Better yet, he would stop giving abatements so there will be money for education. The article mentions there are 35,000 school age children in public schools, that number has ballooned from the low 20,000 from the 1990s. A report came out then, there was 30,000 but about 10,000 of that figure went to Catholic schools. Catholic schools are now charter schools, so the public is paying for children who in the past were not on the public dole.

Posted on: 2015/1/13 22:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/18 21:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
[quote]

I would like to see a survey of the public schools to see how many of the students actually live in those market rate high rises.

I remember at one time (way back when the State first took over the JC schools) I read a statistic that something like 40%+ of the students in JC where in private / parochial schools.

I would be curious what the statistics are now.

I would like to know the % as well. As a parent of two young kids that go to private school I would be thrilled to pay more in taxes if it meant my kids could get a good education in our public schools. What happens though when we build these new schools and the 25 to 40% (whatever the number is) of JC kids who were in private schools decide to switch to public?
There is not enough money in the current tax base to pay for all JC kids to go to public school. Taxes have to go up but how many people will leave because of it?

Posted on: 2015/1/12 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Consumed - it is not true that most of the parents in Jersey City are on public assistance and have 10 kids. Isn't there a recent thread about "gentrification" in Jersey City? Again, if you want Jersey City to improve and become more like NYC in its amenities, then you have to be able to attract, and keep, middle to upper class families with children. Families buy properties and make great neighbors and citizens. Contrary to popular belief, though, even middle class to upper middle class families cannot afford private tuition in Jersey City in this day and age. It costs well over 25K per kid per year to send a kid to the private school options in Jersey City (MDM - the catholic school option (which was more affordable) is falling by the wayside in Jersey City - many have closed). (Over 40K per kid per year for a Manhattan option). SO even a family with a reported income of $250,000 per year will not be able to afford private schooling for 2 kids, particularly if they have student loans to pay and a mortgage on a property to pay ( a 2 bedroom in downtown JC now costs well over 600K).

My point is, the "wealthier" families are only going to stay in Jersey City if the schools improve. Otherwise, they are going to move to the suburbs, where the living is cheaper and the public education is better. So if you want JC to continue its upward mobility, creating a decent school system is imperative. And this is looking at the situation from a purely selfish perspective, rather than from a moral perspective.

Finally, the funds used to build this school are not funded through Jersey City taxes, but rather through the NJ School Development authority. See http://www.njsda.gov/GI/Overview.html

I also want to note that one thing that actually makes NYC attractive in some ways for families is the plethora of fantastic public school options for motivated students. Sure, there are crappy schools too, but if a kid (and their parents) are motivated, there are a ton of really fabulous public options, such as Stuyvesant, for example. Jersey City, on the other hand, does not have those same options.

Posted on: 2015/1/12 16:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/5 12:37
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
normal would be the average or common. just because someone wants to have a huge family doesn't mean others should pay for it. sounds selfish but im not their bank!

if thats the case let parents pay out of their own pockets for each of their children to go through school.

you have 1 child? you pay X
you have 5 children you pay X

sounds simple to me

lets see if people consider that abnormal when it fully effects them and not be a burden on others

Posted on: 2015/1/12 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Consumed wrote:
if you have 2 or 3 children on what would be considered normal.

This makes your rant silly, "normal" everyone has a different perception what normal is... my mom came from a family of 10 children, my dad a family of 8 children, I was part of five children. I have no children which is my normal. What's normal to you is most likely abnormal for someone else.

Posted on: 2015/1/12 15:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
again. you guys are not paying attention. i said i had no problem paying my share. im not against it re read what i wrote. what i have an issue with is paying for people who have the need to not care or be selfish and have armies of kids because religion either tells them they need to have as many children as possible or because beliefs do not allow contraception or abortions. for those that also have more children because they get more assistance for each child. and spare me the BS and dont tell me this doesnt happen

i already said i agree we need to pay for education but to what limit? if you have 2 or 3 children on what would be considered normal. but why should i also have to pay more because you want a big family, then you pay for it.

Posted on: 2015/1/12 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
User +1

Posted on: 2015/1/12 14:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Consumed wrote:
While i agree education for children should be a top priority, but my concern is i dont have any children. doubt i will have any at this point in my life. i dont mind paying into tax to help schools and the like but i am also concerned because everyone is complaining about over crowding, not enough teachers, too many children not enough money. ok then stop having so many kids. in jersey city on average i see parents with no less than 4 children and i have seen some with as many as 7 across a wide age range. Why should i have to pay more because others want to have tons of children. and a percentage of these parents are already on some sort of public assistance also adding to more money that needs to be covered. i dont mind helping out but i also dont want to pay for others to not be held accountable for their actions. i have my own bills and debts i need to pay

I love it... "I got mine, screw you for trying to get yours!"

Posted on: 2015/1/12 14:55
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Consumed wrote:
While i agree education for children should be a top priority, but my concern is i dont have any children. doubt i will have any at this point in my life. i dont mind paying into tax to help schools and the like but i am also concerned because everyone is complaining about over crowding, not enough teachers, too many children not enough money. ok then stop having so many kids. in jersey city on average i see parents with no less than 4 children and i have seen some with as many as 7 across a wide age range. Why should i have to pay more because others want to have tons of children. and a percentage of these parents are already on some sort of public assistance also adding to more money that needs to be covered. i dont mind helping out but i also dont want to pay for others to not be held accountable for their actions. i have my own bills and debts i need to pay

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/1/12 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Consumed, you pay school taxes for the same reason that people who don't have cars pay for highway improvement. Figure it out.

Posted on: 2015/1/12 14:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/1/12 14:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Yesterday 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Long term tax abatements given to high density residential buildings seems like it's adding to the problem, no?

I would like to see a survey of the public schools to see how many of the students actually live in those market rate high rises.

I remember at one time (way back when the State first took over the JC schools) I read a statistic that something like 40%+ of the students in JC where in private / parochial schools.

I would be curious what the statistics are now.

Posted on: 2015/1/12 13:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Long term tax abatements given to high density residential buildings seems like it's adding to the problem, no?

Posted on: 2015/1/12 12:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
as much as it takes. educating our children should be top priority for this country

Monroe didn't say "should" but rather "would", and I think his point is valid and very true. Most people in JC feel they are overtaxed (and, for some, this is definitely true.) While you may be right that taxpayers SHOULD be willing to spend whatever it takes to educate our children, it is (probably) also true that most people would be against an increase in taxes.

In fact, I'm pretty certain that if you were to ask 1000 random taxpayers if they are willing (or, able) to pay another 1K / year in taxes for education, most would balk. Do you feel otherwise?

Posted on: 2015/1/12 4:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
as much as it takes. educating our children should be top priority for this country

Posted on: 2015/1/12 1:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
How much of a rise in municipal taxes in JC would the residents accept to accomplish this?

Posted on: 2015/1/11 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
We need new schools in Jersey City. This is a great thing. Downtown elementary schools are already overcrowded and the problem is only expected to get worse. It's really not fair to the children to keep shoving them into temporary trailer space. Moreover, many of the schools are old, little or no green space, aging rapidly and, frankly, health hazards (JC has the embarrassing distinction of having a major lead problem in its schools that nobody seems to care about). The Authority was established specifically to deal with problems such as these. In my opinion, they are not doing enough. If JC is going to continue to grow and improve (and for those of you that are property owners, I assume you want this to happen if, for nothing else, the sake of your property value), we desperately need to improve our schools. The current infrastructure is terribly inadequate.

Posted on: 2015/1/11 20:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Too bad we spent 1 trillion building up other countries.

You're so right Greenville charity begins at home. Well at least Obama is pushing for extending free education with a 2 year community college.

Posted on: 2015/1/11 16:26
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Too bad we spent 1 trillion building up other countries.

Posted on: 2015/1/11 15:52
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I guess you have no knowledge of the biggest theft ever in the history of NJ. If you think that hasn't damaged our kids you're woefully ignorant on the subject.

Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
or those greedy "consultants" and republicans siphoning off the money.

see? i can post rants about the political party i detest in a thread that has nothing to do with that, too. it's just as useless to the discussion.

monroe, you should really consider getting a point, it will make you look less foolish when you mash your face into your keyboard and post whatever random shlt pops out.

Posted on: 2015/1/11 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
on another note, how in the fk are people upset that a school is being built? go jump in the river, you are useless people. build more schools, please. give another high school in the heights and two more elementary school downtown, for starters.

Posted on: 2015/1/11 3:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
or those greedy "consultants" and republicans siphoning off the money.

see? i can post rants about the political party i detest in a thread that has nothing to do with that, too. it's just as useless to the discussion.

monroe, you should really consider getting a point, it will make you look less foolish when you mash your face into your keyboard and post whatever random shlt pops out.

Posted on: 2015/1/11 3:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yup, the 6 billion dollars wasted. And think how many more schools could've been built if not for the greedy unions and the Democrats making sure where the contracts went.

Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Another gift from NJ taxpayers, $54 million dollars worth.

Added on to the billions in bonding that was done WITHOUT voter approval.. The school wasn't built earlier because a lot of that money 'disappeared'.

Posted on: 2015/1/10 16:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Yesterday 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Added on to the billions in bonding that was done WITHOUT voter approval.. The school wasn't built earlier because a lot of that money 'disappeared'.

Posted on: 2015/1/10 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/1/10 15:34

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017