Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: JC has the least demographically representative police force of any city in the nation
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/14 15:55
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think anyone here advocated living in JC as a condition for employment. Rather,, giving civil servants priority to affordable housing in JC or making affordable housing available to them in the place they work. As sort of an optional benefit......

Posted on: 2015/1/9 17:27

Re: JC has the least demographically representative police force of any city in the nation
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
If you think about it, JC is said to be one of the most diverse cities in the USA. Given that a good percentage of minority residents probably aren't citizens or are here illegally you have to take them out of the mix as PD candidates.

I think it's fair to say that the more diverse the city, the higher the disparity between population/representation in city employees. And if there wasn't an outreach program to bring minorities into police/fire jobs, then Fulop has had plenty of time to get one organized (I don't know either way).

Posted on: 2015/1/9 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
If nothing else, perhaps gentrification will bring the ethnic composition of JCPD a little more in sync with the residential make-up of the city. Discuss.

It took a minute, but I got the humor in your post

Of course, the more JC gentrifies, the fewer police will actually be able to live here. Which goes to bill's point will it be wrong to enforce residency requirements, when the cops will only be able to afford to live in GV?

Why can't some of the affordable housing being built be further set aside for police of firefighters? Or as vacancies occur in such places as Holland Gardens or Villa Boriquen why not give police priority?

That would be a great idea for many reasons. Public housing being prioritized for public employees is much smarter than having it prioritized for losers that should be pushed out to Newark.

My point was, how is it fair or good HR/management to take away an employee's choice of where to live solely as a condition of employment? Remember, it's not just the employee - it's their partner, spouse, their dependents who have to live with that decision as well. If that doesn't resonate - what about good, qualified candidates who have a home and a life established outside of the city? JC's goal should be to focus on the quality of the candidate, and - if they can't pay them enough to live where they choose - at least don't penalize them over it.

I myself am an example. I work for an NYC government agency, and me - along with 5 of my colleagues (we are a small agency, of 65) live in New Jersey, 3 of us in Jersey City. Luckily, our title is one of the few "hard to fill" which gives the city latitude to waive the residency requirement. I'm single, some of my colleagues are single as well, some are partnered with children, but there is no way we could have found anything in NYC as remotely nice as where we live in NJ, on our salaries, which I hazard are much better than JCPD salaries.

Posted on: 2015/1/9 15:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
If nothing else, perhaps gentrification will bring the ethnic composition of JCPD a little more in sync with the residential make-up of the city. Discuss.

Of course, the more JC gentrifies, the fewer police will actually be able to live here. Which goes to bill's point will it be wrong to enforce residency requirements, when the cops will only be able to afford to live in GV?

Why can't some of the affordable housing being built be further set aside for police of firefighters? Or as vacancies occur in such places as Holland Gardens or Villa Boriquen why not give police priority?

That would be a great idea for many reasons. Public housing being prioritized for public employees is much smarter than having it prioritized for losers that should be pushed out to Newark.

Posted on: 2015/1/7 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
We should also let them join the PD without going to college and give them lifetime medical benefits for free. If they could only retire before 45, since it is such a difficult and physically demanding job. I would gladly support then paying them 60% of their final pay for the next 35 years on average.

According to, http://www.nleomf.org/facts/enforcement/
If you look at # of LE deaths divided by # of LE officers, the chance of dying in a year is 0.0167%

The chance of dying in a car accident is also ~ 0.0161%

I hate my parents, I should have joined the force instead of going to college.

Posted on: 2015/1/7 15:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/14 15:55
Group:
Registered Users
Agree that JC should give priority to police and firefighters in these affordable housing developments.

Posted on: 2015/1/7 15:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:

And why would this be a bad thing?

It would not be, we already have a few cops in my area and I also know two cops who live in Society Hill/GV. People on this board use GV as punching bag to make themselves feel better about where they live.

Posted on: 2015/1/7 12:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:

Because those spots are reserved for the "big boosters" to politicians.

For example:

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... n_affordable_housing.html

Posted on: 2015/1/7 11:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:

Posted on: 2015/1/7 10:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:

And why would this be a bad thing?

Posted on: 2015/1/6 21:21
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:

Posted on: 2015/1/5 18:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/1/5 18:23

JC has the least demographically representative police force of any city in the nation
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/1/5 18:16

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017