Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
135 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 135

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: lasik eye surgery
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
I am not sure how widely it is available yet, but there is a lasik alternative. In lieu of shaving the cornea, a permanent contact lens is implanted.

The advantage is the lens can be removed if there is a problem or changed out at a later date should the prescription need to be adjusted.

http://benefits.visianinfo.com/visian ... L-98e_E2sICFURo7AodXUIA3Q

I can't get lasik, but have been looking into alternatives every now and then. I am basically blind without my glasses on. However, I can see small print up close with no problems.

Posted on: 2014/12/22 20:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/15 22:29
Group:
Registered Users
Mine was $4K in 2009. If I was smart and planned ahead, I could have had it taken out of my paycheck pre-tax and put into an HSA, and saved quite a bit. But, once I had gotten up the nerve, I decided to just go ahead and do it.

I also have the guarantee that they will do "touch up" surgery should I need it, but 5 1/2 years later, I haven't had the occasion to take them up on the offer.

There are places that advertise incredible deals ($500 per eye!), but I did not research what they offer for the price.

I do remember researching which machine each place used, and making my decision based on the machine, and also how comfortable I felt with the place.

I also had to decide between an initial flap cut via laser or mechanical blade, and I opted for mechanical, because it would heal faster and better.

It's been a few years, so the technology may have changed for the better, even.

Posted on: 2014/12/22 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
For anyone that has undergone LASIK surgery, can you elaborate on pricing/costs? I have considered doing it for a while now, but never felt the urge. The one thing I have heard and read from so many people is that their only regret is not having it done EARLIER. I believe total cost is anywhere from 2K to 5K (of course, I understand every person is different!) but I am curious as to what some locals have paid, as I am actually leaning towards getting it done this year.

Posted on: 2014/12/22 17:49

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/19 17:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

my2cents wrote:
My recommodation is once you have chosen a surgeon also find a contact lens fitter who is an expert in fitting keratoconus patients and he/she will give you an honest 2nd opinion on whether the risks are higher for you or not.

I have keratoconus and had contact lenses fitted by Dr. William Constad at Journal Square. He did a great job and is a very accomplished doctor.

http://www.hudsoneyemd.com/WHC.html

Posted on: 2014/12/21 2:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

my2cents wrote:
My recommodation is once you have chosen a surgeon also find a contact lens fitter who is an expert in fitting keratoconus patients and he/she will give you an honest 2nd opinion on whether the risks are higher for you or not.

An alternative opinion is useful - but remember their bias and that people, even professionals, don't know what they don't know. Do your own research. The FDA has a very good website on potential issues and case studies - worth comparing to the likes of problems with contact lenses.

Assess the risks as you would any medical procedure and then decide. Don't let any individual doctor's view decide things for you - over half are idiots in my experience. Treat any advice with skepticism and ask lots of questions. I went through PRK (early lasik) over 20 years ago and I have zero regrets.

Oh and ignore the armchair trolls on this thread that have nothing to add except their ability to google.

Posted on: 2014/12/21 1:24

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 22:25
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/12/20 22:48

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/15 22:29
Group:
Registered Users
I had mine done at Diamond Vision in midtown, for my nearsightedness, about 5 years ago. I was very pleased with them.

It was quick and easy and painless, results were instant, no side effects or complications, and 5 years later, my vision is still perfect (well, except for the occasional need for reading glasses, but that's inevitable). My only regret is that I should have done it earlier!

Go to one right away to make sure you're a candidate (not everyone is, for varying reasons), then take your time choosing a place you are comfortable with. All of them should offer free consultations.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2014/12/20 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

MidwestTransplant wrote:
I had a great experience with Dr. Ken Moadel. Not the cheapest in town, but eye surgery is not something for which I would scrape the bottom of the barrel.

He has apparently performed LASIK on a bunch of Yankees players, if that is at all reassuring for you.

Link
doesn't lasik only last a few years and then you need it done again?

no, that's a boob job.

Posted on: 2014/12/19 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Suzanne Buie of Knoxville, Tennessee, said starting right after the surgery, it felt ?like somebody threw gasoline in my eyes.? At one point Suzanne says she experimented with winding plastic wrap around the top of her head to try to keep her eyes moist.

Haha, I haven't laughed out loud in a while. Thanks for that.

Posted on: 2014/12/19 11:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Luckily it only takes two seconds to use Google and see there are a ton of complications reported with Lasik.

"Studies show that dry eyes are another common side effect of LASIK. You may be thinking, ?Dry eyes? My eyes are dry. What?s the big deal?? For some patients, their eyes are not just dry -but painful. Some say their eyes are so dry they have to put drops in several times an hour and also get up in the middle of the night to add drops for relief. Browse the aisles of any drug store and you will see shelves lined with artificial tears labeled ?For LASIK Dryness.? Dean Kantis of Fort Lauderdale, Florida, a dissatisfied LASIK patient, who operates the website LifeAfterLasik.com, takes issue with the fact that some of the same companies that manufacture lasers for LASIK also sell drops for ?LASIK dryness.?

Suzanne Buie of Knoxville, Tennessee, said starting right after the surgery, it felt ?like somebody threw gasoline in my eyes.? At one point Suzanne says she experimented with winding plastic wrap around the top of her head to try to keep her eyes moist. That unorthodox attempt didn?t help either. Finally, she says she got so desperate that she had an electrostimulator implanted in her head to disrupt the pain signals from her dry, light-sensitive eyes.

The dry eye pain and other complications can be so severe that a few patients have reportedly committed suicide.
In 2008, Gerry Dorrian testified before the FDA that his son Colin killed himself over a bad LASIK outcome. Katie Dean told The Dr. Oz Show that her father, police officer Larry Campbell, also took his own life because of LASIK complications. "All he would talk about was his eye pain and his eyes," she said. "He couldn't live that way and it eventually cost his life." A Canadian television show featured Campbell?s story and showed his suicide note, which reportedly said, ?The pain, distorted vision, chronic dry eye is not bearable ... Do not have LASIK surgery!?

http://www.doctoroz.com/article/hard-look-lasik-surgery

Also, according to the FDA, the long term effects of Lasik are not known.

http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/Pro ... pport/LASIK/ucm061354.htm

Some nutters that didn't have lasik also wrap cling-film around their heads. But it's on the internet so it must be true.

Posted on: 2014/12/19 5:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Luckily it only takes two seconds to use Google and see there are a ton of complications reported with Lasik.

"Studies show that dry eyes are another common side effect of LASIK. You may be thinking, ?Dry eyes? My eyes are dry. What?s the big deal?? For some patients, their eyes are not just dry -but painful. Some say their eyes are so dry they have to put drops in several times an hour and also get up in the middle of the night to add drops for relief. Browse the aisles of any drug store and you will see shelves lined with artificial tears labeled ?For LASIK Dryness.? Dean Kantis of Fort Lauderdale, Florida, a dissatisfied LASIK patient, who operates the website LifeAfterLasik.com, takes issue with the fact that some of the same companies that manufacture lasers for LASIK also sell drops for ?LASIK dryness.?

Suzanne Buie of Knoxville, Tennessee, said starting right after the surgery, it felt ?like somebody threw gasoline in my eyes.? At one point Suzanne says she experimented with winding plastic wrap around the top of her head to try to keep her eyes moist. That unorthodox attempt didn?t help either. Finally, she says she got so desperate that she had an electrostimulator implanted in her head to disrupt the pain signals from her dry, light-sensitive eyes.

The dry eye pain and other complications can be so severe that a few patients have reportedly committed suicide.
In 2008, Gerry Dorrian testified before the FDA that his son Colin killed himself over a bad LASIK outcome. Katie Dean told The Dr. Oz Show that her father, police officer Larry Campbell, also took his own life because of LASIK complications. "All he would talk about was his eye pain and his eyes," she said. "He couldn't live that way and it eventually cost his life." A Canadian television show featured Campbell?s story and showed his suicide note, which reportedly said, ?The pain, distorted vision, chronic dry eye is not bearable ... Do not have LASIK surgery!?

http://www.doctoroz.com/article/hard-look-lasik-surgery

Also, according to the FDA, the long term effects of Lasik are not known.

http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/Pro ... pport/LASIK/ucm061354.htm

Posted on: 2014/12/19 5:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmiz wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Everyone's eyes are different. If you have poor vision (and would want LASIK to begin with) it's because you were either born with poor vision or your vision degraded with time. Lasik will fix either scenario, but it doesn't prevent your eyes from continuing to degrade as you age.

I'm going on four years of 20/20 vision after getting surgery. Best thing I ever did.

I went to LASIK Plus in Woodbridge, NJ. Their deal was: if I made all followup appointments (which I did) I'd qualify for free surgery in the future, if needed, assuming my eyes were still candidates for the procedure. This is probably not something you'd get from a local practice....

Had an early version of lasik done over 20 years ago. Money well spent. Everyone naturally becomes long-sighted as they age and end up needing reading glasses - lasik can't give you permanent 20/20. Over the years I've read about many horror stories of people getting infections using contact lenses. I've yet to hear of any serious issues with lasik.

Posted on: 2014/12/19 4:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
I have yet to meet an eye doctor who's had lasik surgery performed on his/herself. My eye doc on Newark Ave. wears glasses and tried to refer me to a "fabulous friend of mine who can safely perform the surgery". The hard sell immediately died backpack when I asked why he hadn't had the repair performed on himself yet.

Also why does the industry continuously revise the laser being used?

Admittedly, I haven't read up on the topic in awhile but I figure that I kinda need this current set of eyes for another 40 years or so. Do we yet have lasik surgery tracking for a period of 40 years? Contact lenses are a two minute "hassle" in the morning and late at night. I figure that I can continue to deal with this level of minor inconvenience.

Posted on: 2014/12/19 3:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Everyone's eyes are different. If you have poor vision (and would want LASIK to begin with) it's because you were either born with poor vision or your vision degraded with time. Lasik will fix either scenario, but it doesn't prevent your eyes from continuing to degrade as you age.

I'm going on four years of 20/20 vision after getting surgery. Best thing I ever did.

I went to LASIK Plus in Woodbridge, NJ. Their deal was: if I made all followup appointments (which I did) I'd qualify for free surgery in the future, if needed, assuming my eyes were still candidates for the procedure. This is probably not something you'd get from a local practice....

Posted on: 2014/12/19 2:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/17 14:03
From Moe's Deli
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.eyecare2020.com

A little far, East Hanover/Elmwood Park but really worth it for LASIK and cataract surgeries.

Posted on: 2014/12/19 2:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MidwestTransplant wrote:
I had a great experience with Dr. Ken Moadel. Not the cheapest in town, but eye surgery is not something for which I would scrape the bottom of the barrel.

He has apparently performed LASIK on a bunch of Yankees players, if that is at all reassuring for you.

Link

Posted on: 2014/12/19 0:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/26 14:00
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Link

Posted on: 2014/12/18 23:05

lasik eye surgery
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/10 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
can anyone recommend a place in JC or the city. the people i know who have had it done live elsewhere.

Posted on: 2014/12/18 21:45

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017