Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
142 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 142

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Can soundproofing Insulation reduce or remove the noise?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/14 15:50
From jc
Group:
Registered Users
I am not sure what vent fan you meant, however, I know that when they are taking a shower, they did not turn on the fan in the bathroom, if that is what you meant, and that is only fan I know of in the bathroom.

I have 2 bathrooms on each floor. All 4 bathroom make the same type of noise, just the bathroom in Master room on both floor make louder noise, and bother me most, since I sleep in Master room, and the downstairs start to take the shower at 5am every day. the one in my Master room makes such noise too, but since we don't take the shower while the other is sleeping, so, I can stand for it.

I just invited 2nd plumber, as the first plumber, he concluded the same cause: insulation.

Can anybody please recommend any good Insulation contractors? I heard people can use spray foam and don't need to push down the wall?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2014/11/14 11:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/29 18:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
I'm taking a wild shot (plumber's daughter) - is that a vent fan of some kind? It sounds like it's vibrating - and loud.

It does should a bit like a fan vent. If it is that, it may be the cap on the roof making noise, sending the vibration down the pipe to the studs that it is strapped to.

But I think it is the drain vent pipe. It sounds like water traveling through a pipe with an opening. I hear a resonant frequency like its a organ pipe. Did a search for drain vent pipe noise and found this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg74LsapSMU

Posted on: 2014/11/14 4:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
I'm taking a wild shot (plumber's daughter) - is that a vent fan of some kind? It sounds like it's vibrating - and loud.

Posted on: 2014/11/14 3:01

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jc
Group:
Registered Users
Finally, I am done with creating the following audio file. Please hear it, and let me know your thoughts. The impact in reality is more than it sounds, and much louder. My cell phone could not convey such impact.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw4oo ... xb3VuX3c/view?usp=sharing

Posted on: 2014/11/14 2:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Record the sound with your phone and post a link to it on youtube or somewhere. I'd like to hear it before I comment.

Posted on: 2014/11/12 21:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Any good developer / builder would have installed insulation around pipe works especially important in multi level buildings.
This appears to be a New Zealand video, but we have a similar product that any half assed plumber would know about!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SysuLiJY6j4

Posted on: 2014/11/12 21:20
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vkk wrote:
Make sense.

Do you know of any reputable plumber you can recommend in JC?
The noise is very loud, in my sense. The entire house can hear it, especially in my Master room.

Sorry no. I rent, so I just call my landlord who shows up with a roll of duct tape and a line of bullshit. When that fails, he calls the worst plumber he can find.

Seriously though, I suggest first looking at the tub and shower fixtures as the source of the problem. There?s a good chance that?s it, and they?re relatively simple and inexpensive to repair or replace.

Posted on: 2014/11/12 21:07

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jc
Group:
Registered Users
I am living in a 2 family independent house, I am on up unit.

it was built in 2007, not old.

Posted on: 2014/11/12 16:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jc
Group:
Registered Users
Make sense.

Do you know of any reputable plumber you can recommend in JC?
The noise is very loud, in my sense. The entire house can hear it, especially in my Master room.

Posted on: 2014/11/12 16:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
any chance that you live in one of those 2 condo buildings with the garage for the downstairs duplex that are on 1st, 2nd & 3rd in the village area?

Posted on: 2014/11/12 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vkk wrote:
I am a new owner and live in upstairs in a 2 family house with age of 7 years.

When downstairs tenant is taking the shower, the noise is so loud, the entire house can hear it. she takes shower at 5am everyday, and woke us up everyday.

Based on a plumber who checked, the plumbing has no issues, the issue is the insulation. He suggested to open the wall and put the soundproofing insulation in.
I am planning on doing it from the master room, outside of the bathroom, since open the wall from inside will involve the tile which will be costly.

I need some advice from you. Can insulation reduce this type of noise, or what else should I do?

Thick carpets, thick carpet pads and heavy drapes around the windows will dampen the sound. Try this first before you spend big bucks insulating the walls and floors.

Posted on: 2014/11/12 13:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Homes don?t have insulation in their interior walls, but you know from experience that shower noise isn?t a big problem in most homes, right? If it?s loud enough to wake you up, that isn?t normal so I have to disagree with the plumber. The problem is almost certainly the plumbing or fixtures?that?s what?s creating the noise?not a lack of insulation that shouldn?t be there in the first place.

I suggest calling another plumber and have them look at the size of the pipes feeding the tub, the fittings, and the tub faucet itself. Noise in a pipe or fixture is created in areas of high water velocity or a rapid change in velocity/pressure, and can be the result of undersized piping, a restriction in the fixture, or even a poorly designed fixture. Regardless, pipe vibrations are transmitted directly to the structure, so soundproofing may be of limited value.

Posted on: 2014/11/12 13:29

Can soundproofing Insulation reduce or remove the noise?

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jc
Group:
Registered Users
I am a new owner and live in upstairs in a 2 family house with age of 7 years.

When downstairs tenant is taking the shower, the noise is so loud, the entire house can hear it. she takes shower at 5am everyday, and woke us up everyday.

Based on a plumber who checked, the plumbing has no issues, the issue is the insulation. He suggested to open the wall and put the soundproofing insulation in.
I am planning on doing it from the master room, outside of the bathroom, since open the wall from inside will involve the tile which will be costly.

I need some advice from you. Can insulation reduce this type of noise, or what else should I do?

Posted on: 2014/11/12 12:19

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017