Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 »

Re: UBER - car service in Jersey City
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/1 15:38
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
The Uber naysayers on this list are clueless and never have used the service on any consistent basis.

This is unequivocally one of the greatest things to happen to urban living and a feather in the cap of capitalist America.

Why for years was I forced to use such a horrible service as our local taxis with no other option offered?

Here's it beauty:
I am a Heights resident (Ogden/Palisades). Hoboken taxi to Heights, $8 (if you don't ask and just pay) $10 if you do ask. Throw in $2 tip, $12 total.

Yesterday I'm picked up in a brand new Mercedes GLK 350 SUV.
Same exact trip $5!!
Yep, that's right, $5 and that includes tip! (though I always throw in a cash tip on top because I can't get my head around not tipping).

You are informed of the drivers name, license plate #, type of car and if rates go up in bad weather.

Baffled when people complain about a brilliant idea.
Greatest service to make it's way to the Garden State in a long time.

Posted on: 2014/12/10 16:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I'd like to learn more about Lyft. $22-24 from Manhattan is fantastic. How much can I expect to pay Lyft from the Gowanus section of Brooklyn to Grove Street area?

I took Lyft last night from W. Village to Grove Path (uber was at surge pricing and estimated high). It was on Prime Time and cost ~30 without tip. Included was a $10 toll charge. Way more convenient than having to flag down a cab and find one who'll take $40 flat.

I think Lyft's presence in NYC is much larger than it is here. And, definitely not as good as Uber's presence in JC. A few weeks ago, I tried to order a Lyft ride, but the ONLY driver available was in Hoboken. It meant having to wait 15+ minutes. I took an Uber car instead. I know that Lyft is making an effort to hire/recruit more drivers in our area. Hopefully they succeed, as that may/will lead to better pricing for everyone.

Posted on: 2014/12/10 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I hear O'Leary's pub is working up a deal with Lyft so folks don't have to drive. I have never taken one of their cars but the rates seem lower than Uber. I find it interesting that Lyft is hooking up with bars for business. Pretty neat idea.

Just the other day, I was thinking the same thing: these new car services would be smart to strike up deals with local bars to get their names/brand subtly or discreetly advertised as an alternative for patrons who may have had one too many. Makes everyone safer, and it would lower potential liability for the businesses.

After all, if we agree that patrons who have been drinking are partially (or, completely) impaired making getting behind the wheel dangerous, the logical extension of that is that they are not coherent enough to order a private car service. Pushing them off to the streets to fend for themselves is not a great solution, either. Better to facilitate a private car service and neatly solve the issue.

Posted on: 2014/12/10 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I hear O'Leary's pub is working up a deal with Lyft so folks don't have to drive. I have never taken one of their cars but the rates seem lower than Uber. I find it interesting that Lyft is hooking up with bars for business. Pretty neat idea.

Posted on: 2014/12/10 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I'd like to learn more about Lyft. $22-24 from Manhattan is fantastic. How much can I expect to pay Lyft from the Gowanus section of Brooklyn to Grove Street area?

I took Lyft last night from W. Village to Grove Path (uber was at surge pricing and estimated high). It was on Prime Time and cost ~30 without tip. Included was a $10 toll charge. Way more convenient than having to flag down a cab and find one who'll take $40 flat.

Posted on: 2014/12/10 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users

As I inferred in a previous post, it's because companies are resistant to any changes that are going to impact negatively on their business. The music and TV industries are perfect examples, i.e., downloading music.

Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Uber drivers I would assume would prefer cash and even offer a discount to get cash.

I'm not for or against Uber, I'm more interested in transparency, safety, accountability, service and compliance issues when things go wrong between the passenger and driver !

What is the process if a passenger was to simply work off without paying, how would a driver recoup their cost without resorting to an altercation.

How does a driver insure they are not being setup for a robbery without any dividing screen we are seeing more of in NY cabs.

This is another reason the taxi industry in NJ / JC needs to be started; they can mitigate many problems that include training drivers and mandating safety screens for drivers and passengers

Really, before making inane comments, research what you're saying. Uber drivers get 1099s and, as a result, have to declare every penny, unlike their competition. Your assumptions were totally groundless and are hardly worthy of comment. It seems you like you have a personal beef with Uber.

Your perception is your perception and as mentioned I don't use Uber or Taxi's in NJ / JC, thus there is no beef other then wanting to understand why some countries, states and cities are trying to ban them.

If everything is above board and equitable, why are there so many issues with it - Google is flooded with those for and against, with governments legislating against Uber type services !

Posted on: 2014/11/12 11:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
but do not force me to take a crappy Jersey City cab that often isn't available when I need one anyway.

No one is forcing you to do anything ... for all I care you can stick one thumb up your butt while the other tries to hitch your way home !

Thanks I'll try that sometime. Do you put a lot of effort into dreaming up these insulting posts and finding pictures to go with them, or does it just come naturally?

Posted on: 2014/11/12 2:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
I just read today that Uber will be offering a car share program in certain cities while they test it out, and you will be able to split the fare if you and your Uber car match are going to the same area. I bet that Uber will be busy for people trying to get back to JC during those late weekend nights.
i'm not a big uber fan but this sounds like an excellent idea. would be great for the heights although sometimes late at nite nyc taxis are willing to go to jersey city heights on the cheap - i think like $25

Posted on: 2014/11/12 2:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
but do not force me to take a crappy Jersey City cab that often isn't available when I need one anyway.

No one is forcing you to do anything ... for all I care you can stick one thumb up your butt while the other tries to hitch your way home !

Resized Image

Oh and its safe in Uber cars !

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles ... arassment-by-drivers.html

Posted on: 2014/11/12 2:12

Edited by fat-ass-bike on 2014/11/12 2:28:04
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Uber drivers I would assume would prefer cash and even offer a discount to get cash.

I'm not for or against Uber, I'm more interested in transparency, safety, accountability, service and compliance issues when things go wrong between the passenger and driver !

What is the process if a passenger was to simply work off without paying, how would a driver recoup their cost without resorting to an altercation.

How does a driver insure they are not being setup for a robbery without any dividing screen we are seeing more of in NY cabs.

This is another reason the taxi industry in NJ / JC needs to be started; they can mitigate many problems that include training drivers and mandating safety screens for drivers and passengers

Really, before making inane comments, research what you're saying. Uber drivers get 1099s and, as a result, have to declare every penny, unlike their competition. Your assumptions were totally groundless and are hardly worthy of comment. It seems you like you have a personal beef with Uber.

Your perception is your perception and as mentioned I don't use Uber or Taxi's in NJ / JC, thus there is no beef other then wanting to understand why some countries, states and cities are trying to ban them.

If everything is above board and equitable, why are there so many issues with it - Google is flooded with those for and against, with governments legislating against Uber type services !

First of all, the taxi and limo companies understandably don't like the added competition, regardless of how unethically they may have obtained their own taxi licenses. The other source of controversy, which may even be somewhat valid, is the insurance. Taxi and limo companies claim that you aren't covered by insurance the same way when you ride in an Uber or Lyft car. Based on what I've read, both on Uber and other websites, it is not a concern to me, and I'll take an Uber car over standing out in the rain waiting for a rundown Jersey City taxi that may take a while to show up at the curb where I'm standing. You are free to do what you want, nobody is forcing you to take Uber or Lyft, but do not force me to settle for a crappy Jersey City cab that often isn't available when I need one anyway.

Your (and other peoples') arguments about Uber cars being used to transport drugs and Uber drivers not paying their taxes are completely baseless and/or meaningless.

Posted on: 2014/11/12 2:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

Posted on: 2014/11/12 0:57
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

Posted on: 2014/11/11 22:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

Your assumptions about Uber drivers is 100% wrong. You are not making any sense whatsoever, except for the dividing screen issue.

Let me make it clear - you CANNOT pay for Uber without a credit card. 100% of what they do is by credit card. Any Uber driver that offers a discount for cash (and I don't see how they can do this - passengers only can find them using an app) would be violating Uber or Lyft's rules and stepping outside what the company permits them to do.

Passengers CANNOT walk out simply without paying a fare on Uber - they already paid by credit card. The scenario you describe is MUCH more likely to occur with a normal taxi, where everything is usually in cash.

You have a point on the dividing screens that you see in the NYC cabs and to a lesser extent, JC cabs (I always see the little sliding door open on the JC cabs). But since Uber and Lyft drivers do all their business on credit cards anyway, they probably wouldn't have a lot of cash on them in the first place, unless they brought their own. Taxis would make a far more attractive robbery target.

For the last time - 100% of all Uber and Lyft transactions are paid by credit card. This makes it harder for drivers to hide their taxable income and just about impossible for passengers to skip out on paying. Uber drivers CANNOT take cash, if they are then they are just another gypsy cab, which is the business that I think suffers the most from Uber and Lyft.

Posted on: 2014/11/11 21:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/11/11 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
An Uber driver / car would make a great way to transport and deliver drugs around?

What uber highlights is that JC / NJ needs to regulate the taxi system to meet user expectations.

I wonder how many Uber drivers are failing to declare or pay tax on their income ?

In response to what you're saying -

1) Yes, I suppose it could be a way to transport and deliver illegal drugs. So could a regular taxi. Actually, a drug dealer would have to be kind of stupid to use Uber because then there's a record of him using a credit card somewhere, creating an easier trail for the police. Of course, if he pays with a stolen credit card it doesn't matter but why go to the trouble of the extra step? Seems like they would just use cash and go by taxi, so there's no trail.

2) Yes, you're right on that one. Jersey City does a downright HORRIBLE job of regulating taxis. In fact, is there even a taxi & limousine authority in the city government at all? In any case, Uber and Lyft have moved in to fill the void and created something that does satisfy user expectations.

3) Wonder all you want on that one. People in every profession cheat on their taxes. But I would think it would be A LOT harder to declare your income and cheat on taxes as an Uber driver than it would be as a taxi driver, because all the transactions are by credit card, whereas most taxi transactions are by cash. Seems like it would be easier for a taxi driver to under-report, or not report, their income. But of course, taxi drivers would never do something like this, would they?

I'm so sick of the arguments about Uber or its drivers not paying taxes. What evidence is there of this? You pay with a credit card, the credit card processor will issue a 1099-K statement at the end of the year, and somebody will have to pay tax on the money they collected, or at least the IRS has something they can use to assess taxes. For regular taxi drivers, however, there is no such paper trail.

For your next anti-Uber post, stick with the insurance argument. You might make more headway with that one. The one about taxes is just total nonsense and a randomly chosen way to smear Uber or Lyft.

Posted on: 2014/11/11 21:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
An Uber driver / car would make a great way to transport and deliver drugs around?

What uber highlights is that JC / NJ needs to regulate the taxi system to meet user expectations.

I wonder how many Uber drivers are failing to declare or pay tax on their income ?

Posted on: 2014/11/11 20:48

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/20 20:49
Group:
Registered Users
I've taken uber a bunch and really like it, but had a really bizarre experience this weekend.

A friend and I ordered an uberX from downtown jc to the Barclays center for the game because of wtc path not working on Sundays. Dude picked us up in a not so nice car but he was real nice so didn't think anything of it. We get just feet past the holland tunnel toll and all traffic is stopped by the police. An officer comes directly to the car and asks the drive, "where are you going?" The driver says, "the tunnel." The cop laughs, says that's a terrible answer then looks in back to us and asks where we are going. We say the nets game.

The cop then proceeds to tell he driver that he is illegally driving us in an uberX car. That he doesn't have the proper insurance or any fire/ health equipment. The cop didn't even check the dudes papers, but he somehow knew it was an uber driver and that he wasn't insured properly.

Anyway, the cop was pretty nice about. Says he understands the dude is trying to make a living and that he won't write him a 3000 dollar plus ticket. He then lets us go and the dude drives us to the game.

Pretty weird!!

Posted on: 2014/11/11 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I was charged $118.00 on Halloween night, I came home late from partying in NYC and took Uber from DTJC city hall up the hill to GV. I did not notice the price until the next day when my hangover was wearing off. I emailed them and they quickly credited my credit card $88.00 because the driver started charging me from the Heights because that is where he original started before picking me up. I was very impressed with the customer service and will continue to use them.

Posted on: 2014/11/10 23:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
It's the same scenario we see over and over, the old guard trying to protect their vested interests through the courts and other legal means instead of getting more competitive. Eventually, the consumer will prevail. Sometimes capitalism works despite the interests of the vested minority.

The companies in JC should be embarrassed by their overall service and sky high prices, but they had no incentive to improve until now. And now that the incentive is here, all they can do is fight change, well, Hoboken that is.

The part I don't understand is that Zimmer is an ardent supporter of Lyft and Uber yet it seems like it's a war there.

Unless the taxis in Jersey City learn to modernize and develop an app of their own that takes credit cards (unlikely), they might have a few battles to fight and even win, but they lost the war long ago. Because even if you shut down Uber or Lyft, there will be another app-based service in its place. It's just too good a concept to not exist.

As a side note, there seems to be a new part of the Uber app that allows you to call a regular NYC taxi while in Manhattan. So it seems like the NYC taxi industry has already succumbed to Uber on one level or another.

Posted on: 2014/11/10 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It's the same scenario we see over and over, the old guard trying to protect their vested interests through the courts and other legal means instead of getting more competitive. Eventually, the consumer will prevail. Sometimes capitalism works despite the interests of the vested minority.

The companies in JC should be embarrassed by their overall service and sky high prices, but they had no incentive to improve until now. And now that the incentive is here, all they can do is fight change, well, Hoboken that is.

The part I don't understand is that Zimmer is an ardent supporter of Lyft and Uber yet it seems like it's a war there.

Posted on: 2014/11/9 20:04

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/17 20:47
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Generally, I think Uber is great.
Taxis in Jersey City (and from the airport) are death traps, though. They're falling apart and have been the scariest rides of my life, to the point where I avoid them on this side of the Hudson altogether now. I can't believe there's no regulation in place for the safety of taxis or competency of their drivers (or at least it sure seems like that - never looked it up).

I only use Uber and car services in JC now, and while I've had a few mishaps with UberX drivers (one driver rear-ended another vehicle while looking down at his GPS, another took me into NYC and was making rights on red all over the place), Uber black car has always been great, and the vehicles always seem recent model and very safe with both.

Posted on: 2014/11/9 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Will I get a receipt if I use Uber ?
How can I be assured that the driver doesn't have a criminal record ?
How can I be assured that the vehicle they have is safe ?
How can I be assured that the person I call via Uber is the same and not a bogus Uber that has jumped in ?
If I'm a passenger in an Uber car, will I be covered if seriously injured because the driver was negligent or not in an accident?

In answer to your questions -

1. Yes, over email. With a regular taxi you get a sorry scrap of paper that is easily lost.
2. You can't, although Uber does require an extensive background check. How do I know a regular taxi driver doesn't have a criminal record either?
3. Uber has copies of all the state vehicle inspections for its drivers. But really, do you feel safe in JC's crappy taxis that barely hold together and are just old NYC taxis with 100,000+ miles on them that couldn't meet NYC taxi standards anymore?
4. Look at the picture that Uber sends you on the cell phone and then look at the driver. That should work.
5. You are covered by a $1 million insurance policy if you are a passenger. Here's the link to explain this if you don't believe me:

https://support.uber.com/hc/en-us/arti ... e-if-there-s-an-accident-

Really, if you don't want to take Uber or Lyft and settle for the same old crummy taxis that barely hold together, are driven by rude drivers who claim their meters are broken and charge arbitrary amounts, and aren't always available for a ride while you're standing out in the rain, that's your right. But don't deny me the choice to take Uber or Lyft in Jersey City. In New York, I'll still take regular cabs, they are fine. In Jersey City, the cabs are a joke in my opinion and are nothing but worn out NYC cabs that couldn't meet NYC's taxi standards (JC seems to have NO standards for taxis). You have your choice and I have mine. Don't intrude on my personal decisions.

Posted on: 2014/11/9 14:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/7 2:57
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

https://support.uber.com/hc/en-us/arti ... a-copy-of-an-old-receipt-

http://blog.uber.com/driverscreening

I don't see an uber specific car check, but the cars do have commercial insurance - I don't know if that involves an inspection

How can I be assured that the person I call via Uber is the same and not a bogus Uber that has jumped in ?

There is some protection against this as there is a picture of the driver sent to the user when a car is hired, but if the user is not paying attention someone could sneak in.

If I'm a passenger in an Uber car, will I be covered if seriously injured because the driver was negligent or not in an accident?

http://blog.uber.com/ridesharinginsurance

Posted on: 2014/11/9 13:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
You better get ready to compromise your taxi value system because they'll ALL be Uber drivers eventually (or Uber like). Uber is awesome.

Posted on: 2014/11/9 12:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/11/9 5:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Uber drivers threatened with $1,000 fines
In Hudson County, an unequal crackdown on ridesharing

by Carlo Davis
Reporter staff writer
Nov 09, 2014 | 27

From solar compacting trash cans to bike sharing, Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer has been a champion of technology?s ability to solve urban problems. So it?s no surprise that she has publicly come out in support of ridesharing services Uber and Lyft, which send a car to a user with a tap of the user?s smartphone. However, at the same time, her administration has been cracking down on Uber drivers much more than in any other city in Hudson County.

In April, Zimmer sent a letter to Hoboken?s legislators supporting changes to laws that will allow companies like Uber to operate legally, but within certain safety regulations that taxi drivers have to follow.

In the meantime, the administration has dramatically escalated its enforcement of pertinent state and local laws. In just the 35 days between Sept. 27 and Oct. 31, Hoboken police cited 81 drivers for at least one violation associated with operating an unlicensed taxicab or limousine, according to public access reports provided by the Hoboken Municipal Court. Court representative Luigi Percontino said that Hoboken did not cite any Uber drivers prior to September.

The minimum fine is $500, although some drivers have been able to plea bargain.

Read more: Hudson Reporter - Uber drivers threatened with 1 000 fines br font size 2 i In Hudson County an unequal crackdown on ridesharing font i br
http://hudsonreporter.com/bookmark/26 ... on-ridesharing-font-i-br-

Posted on: 2014/11/9 5:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yet another Uber promotion - $30 free rides when you sign up.

Here's the link:

https://get.uber.com/invite/ij9ng

Posted on: 2014/9/25 16:46

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/29 22:56
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

I'm not sure. Their rates are not posted anywhere. I was going to take it to Atlantic Terminal, I think it might be $30-34. But I don't have any rhyme or reason to think that. I don't know if Uber allows you to change how much you will pay like the way Lyft does but I think if I were going to Atlantic Terminal, I'd adjust the payment to $30ish.

Posted on: 2014/9/24 16:44

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/29 22:56
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

sookaw wrote:

Into Manhattan $12

That's not including toll right?

He didn't charge me toll to go into the city. He said Lyft was running a promo that Lyft picks up the tab on toll. Now, on my way back, that was a whole different experience. They guy told me right off the bat that I would have to give him the toll to get back into Manhattan b/c Lyft doesn't reimburse him.

I paid it b/c I was desperate to get home asap! I then contacted Lyft about the whole incident for some clarity. They said they'd get back to me; that was almost 4 weeks ago and I haven't heard from them.

If you want to try if for free, download the app. It will require you to put in your cc info, but then also use this referral code KAREN1995 (this is me!) and you can try it once for free up to $25. I'll get a free ride too which I would love :) Haha.

Posted on: 2014/9/24 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sookaw wrote: