Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
97 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 97

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Area between Tunnel and Hoboken

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/23 0:03
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I would suggest the back of downtown jersey city which includes the village neighborhood. It is a decent walk to the path but with Uber lowering prices you can get there for $4-$5 during inclement weather. I think the area between the tunnel and Hoboken offers a lot of upside but I wouldn't be ready to live there yet.

Posted on: 2014/11/18 16:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/29 21:21
From 07310
Group:
Registered Users
I recently bought a place in this area. It's definitely improving and I'm seeing a lot more college student and artist types, and people walking their dogs to Hamilton Park. Any time I see someone with a dog crossing 14th I kind of smile. However, there's a reason a lot of us here have dogs. I especially don't like the homeless shelter. Don't get me wrong I'm glad we have homeless shelters but I selfishly wish it wasn't in my back yard. I'm a small female and I dress for work but I don't love walking through this area late at night. My husband often picks me up from the subway (he would do that anyway but it's definitely an added consideration).

I love how close we are to Hamilton Park and I don't think anyone's mentioned the bike path that begins behind Cast Iron Lofts, which is actually a great area to walk your dog.

Also, as far as I know, the Cast Iron Lofts people are on schedule with their plans. The new tower is scheduled for completion sometime in 2015 and they seem to be on the ball with that. The two towers by the Garden Center are scheduled for completion in 2017 and they have been working on the foundation. There is still a substantial price discount for property in this area and for what I paid, I definitely can't complain.

Posted on: 2014/11/18 15:54

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 22:25
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sp2xs wrote:
Nice photo. What a shame so many cool, old buildings had been demolished in the name of progress.

I noticed a sign on the Lackawanna Center (the large factory building that runs along 18th street across from Cast Iron Lofts) advertising retail space. Being curious, I checked it out:

http://www.lackawannacenter.com/

Wonder when this would actually materialize by... anyone know anything about that?

From looking at their website and other info, the people behind this look real. The logistics and scale behind this project I would believe are quite extensive and it doesn't look like this developer has done a lot of heavy lifting required for a project like this. Based on their portfolio, they clearly have the resources. What isn't clear is their experience in a major head to toe renovation and repositioning of a property of this scale.
My hunch is that it will happen but will probably take a long time for them to pull this all together.

I took another look at their marketing and it seems inconsistent that they are marketing the same space for industrial and retail on the first level. My instinct is they are waiting to see what they can lease first and if they can get a national retailer, they would move forward on the concept we see on their website or if they get an industrial tenant, they probably will leave the building as is since it would involve substantially less resources......

Posted on: 2014/11/10 1:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/16 17:45
Group:
Registered Users
Nice photo. What a shame so many cool, old buildings had been demolished in the name of progress.

I noticed a sign on the Lackawanna Center (the large factory building that runs along 18th street across from Cast Iron Lofts) advertising retail space. Being curious, I checked it out:

http://www.lackawannacenter.com/

Wonder when this would actually materialize by... anyone know anything about that?

Posted on: 2014/11/8 15:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/30 20:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
There is this dinky little street, Rademan Place, just off of 14th Street. Six little wood-frame row houses, 3 each side, facing each other with a stone courtyard in-between. Traffic from the tunnel/RT139 zooms by outside, Gas stations either side, Holland Gardens looming behind, reminds me the children's book "The Little House".

Anyone know anything about it, or anyone who lives there? A relic from the "Horseshoe" past?

Google Streetview

Robin.

Yes, survivors from the past. Interesting photo of the area here:

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource/fsa.8a10971/

Those buildings are out of view though, slightly out of frame on left. A good landmark to get oriented by is the clock tower to the left in the old photo that is still standing today. The rest of the old buildings are history...

Posted on: 2014/11/8 5:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
There was a house listed there a year or two ago for 190k.

Posted on: 2014/11/7 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
There is this dinky little street, Rademan Place, just off of 14th Street. Six little wood-frame row houses, 3 each side, facing each other with a stone courtyard in-between. Traffic from the tunnel/RT139 zooms by outside, Gas stations either side, Holland Gardens looming behind, reminds me the children's book "The Little House".

Anyone know anything about it, or anyone who lives there? A relic from the "Horseshoe" past?

Google Streetview

Robin.

Posted on: 2014/11/2 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
Any information out there on this hotel? I can't see anything online about it. Maybe Burke's can be incorporated as the hotel bar:

The management of the Holland Gardens Hotel is delighted to present: Burke's Bar. An age-old Jersey City institution, Burke's is predominantly patronized by authentic local "characters" of no fixed abode. While away a day enjoying the legendary Burke's hospitality as your fellow patrons periodically panhandle on the toll plaza in order to buy that next delicious 24oz Bud Light tall boy. And be sure to stay for the public urination competition, nightly from 11pm. Open daily, 5pm til late.

Nailed it. I even searched for the word "authentic" and wasn't disappointed. You may want to stick "vintage", "full of character", "unmolested by changes to the neighborhood" and perhaps even "has bravely avoided gentrification."

Posted on: 2014/10/27 22:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Any information out there on this hotel? I can't see anything online about it. Maybe Burke's can be incorporated as the hotel bar:

The management of the Holland Gardens Hotel is delighted to present: Burke's Bar. An age-old Jersey City institution, Burke's is predominantly patronized by authentic local "characters" of no fixed abode. While away a day enjoying the legendary Burke's hospitality as your fellow patrons periodically panhandle on the toll plaza in order to buy that next delicious 24oz Bud Light tall boy. And be sure to stay for the public urination competition, nightly from 11pm. Open daily, 5pm til late.

Posted on: 2014/10/27 19:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

honeycat wrote:
The new hotel is being built behind Burkes Bar- will have a lobby and restaurant on first floor. There will also be a shuttle to the newport path station.

Is Burke's really going to stay open if they're going to attempt to develop legit businesses around it? I would imagine most visitors would take one look at that and try to cancel their reservation.

Posted on: 2014/10/26 5:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 22:25
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
I do not understand why any of these buildings like 700 Grove or Zephyr have basements.
These areas are located at lower elevations than areas right on the Hudson by 3-5 feet (look at Google Earth). As I recall with Sandy, at high tide, areas right on the Hudson became submerged by 4-5 feet or more. Any breach right on the river for a period of time does not hold well for these buildings.

I sure hope my auto insurance premiums are not subsidizing anyone that is parking in their below grade parking lots....

Also, people forget history in these transient communities quite quickly (which might explain why another poster was beaming about 10% price increases). A storm like Sandy may happen once every few decades with a few super Nor'easters in between.
As they say, there is a reason why many of the nicer homes in New Orleans survived Katrina, that's because in the old days, people built responsibly on higher ground....

Posted on: 2014/10/24 23:32

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/4 13:33
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
The new hotel is being built behind Burkes Bar- will have a lobby and restaurant on first floor. There will also be a shuttle to the newport path station.

Posted on: 2014/10/21 2:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/20 5:07
From Hoboken
Group:
Registered Users
Zephyr and 700 Grove were suing each other with respect to parking and easements. That they settled. Zephyr won the ruling against the builder. Even after the lawyer fees, the association got some $ left over. They did some structural studies on the balconies and fixed issues that caused leaks in the past.
Everything that has come to market sold at the right price. The values in both buildings have gone up 9-10% in the past year. Quote:

ASmith wrote:
Do you have information in whose favor was the litigation concluded in Zephyr's case.

Also, anyone has any update on the litigation that 700 Grove Condo association brought against it's builders and insurers. Is there a date set for a judgement in that case.

Posted on: 2014/10/20 3:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
father said it vest - There is nothing worse than a middle-class snob.

Posted on: 2014/10/16 22:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Another crack smoker, no one here is comparing beige to oranges. Give me a break.

Posted on: 2014/10/16 21:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
LOL I have already accrued value. I'm not sure that can be said for people who bought in BL and Greenville in some places. How much has value increased on Ocean Ave? Not to mention safety and convenience.

I paid 140k and my house is now valued at 253k even the buildings on Ocean were 95k back in 2010 are now 250k what the hell are u smoking?

Easily answered

http://www.zillow.com/greenville-jersey-city-nj/home-values/

Select median sale price. In Jan 2010, 221k all homes. Jan 2014 156k all homes.

http://www.zillow.com/downtown-jersey ... rsey-city-nj/home-values/

DTJC Jan 2010 - 286k all homes. Jan 2014 292K all homes.

August 2014 Median Sale price in GV (all homes)- 198k
August 2014 Median Sale price in DTJC (all homes) - 313k

The comparisons are even more stark when you just select condo buildings for DTJC - which is most of the inventory.

Comparing DTJC and GV is like comparing a civilization that has not yet discovered fire to an alien civilization that invented space travel 100 years ago...

Posted on: 2014/10/16 21:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
LOL I have already accrued value. I'm not sure that can be said for people who bought in BL and Greenville in some places. How much has value increased on Ocean Ave? Not to mention safety and convenience.

I paid 140k and my house is now valued at 253k even the buildings on Ocean were 95k back in 2010 are now 250k what the hell are u smoking?

Posted on: 2014/10/16 20:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/16 20:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
No need for any head examinations. Any area in dtjc is selling for about 2x or more sq footage wise than greenville and bl is probably not close behind.

Heck, the abandoned buildings in dtjc are worth more than some blocks in greenville

Posted on: 2014/10/16 18:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
Quote:
RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

I did end buying in that area...though closer to Hoboken, not by the projects.

If you think the area compares to Greenville or BL you need your head examined.

Yes, you're right - I'm the one that needs my head examined.

lol that's just mean....

Posted on: 2014/10/16 18:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
There's going to be buildings where those tracks are now.

Hoboken has decided to never build over the rail yards.

http://hoboken411.com/archives/50684

That's just some lone whackjob who sounds like Hoboken's Yvonne. I agree that decking over the railyards won't happen soon, but it will happen eventually.

Posted on: 2014/10/16 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

I did end buying in that area...though closer to Hoboken, not by the projects.

Yes, you're right - I'm the one that needs my head examined.

Posted on: 2014/10/16 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
You can see from the images posted also that the Hoboken border cuts on a diagonal, so the view from the JC side will face the new buildings, and then a portion of JC which JC will likely develop down the line.

Posted on: 2014/10/16 17:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
The image shown in the Hoboken 411 link shows that the tracks would be obscured.

It's also a 15 minute walk to the PATH from Zephyr/700 and that is to the Hoboken PATH so it's the first stop in but it's not from Newport either.

Holland Gardens is supposed to be demolished.

There are approvals for two buildings on Hoboken Ave...even further west from Cast Iron, still in JC, for one condo and one apartment building, the Van Leer Lofts.

Posted on: 2014/10/16 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

Hoboken has decided to never build over the rail yards.

http://hoboken411.com/archives/50684

Posted on: 2014/10/15 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
JCMan is right - those tracks aren't going anywhere. The spur on the right is for the HBLR and the mass of tracks to the right all service NJT into Hoboken Terminal, both of which are very much in use. I hope you didn't buy a place around there based on assurances from a broker or the building management that the lines between Hoboken and 18th St are going to be developed...?

In fact, there has been so little movement on the entire "Soho West" (cringe) development, I wonder whether it will even happen. Looking at the most recent JC development map Cast Iron Lofts I and II are the only parcels back there that have been given approval. The other seven blocks in the vicinity that have been proposed to be developed have had no permission granted, so far as I'm aware.

That whole area is entirely cut off from both JC and Hoboken for pedestrians, between the Holland Tunnel to the south, the rail tracks to the north, the Palisades to the west and Holland Gardens projects, Burke's, and the rusting hulk of the Lackawanna building to the east. Even if the entire place is redeveloped and the surrounding industrial wasteland replaced with shiny new condos, you're still a good 15 minute hike from Hoboken PATH. Even with a new HBLR stop this site is still an incredibly hard sell for prospective buyers.

I'm astounded that the developers were able to secure financing for the construction of a single building in the first instance, let alone planning an entire neighborhood back there. That said, I don't know the first thing about real estate development, but as a human being I'd rather live in Greenville, Bergen-Lafayette or the Heights than back there in post apocalypse Chromiumsville.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 19:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

i seriously doubt that.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 1:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/14 20:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
RUinHamiltonPark wrote: My original post was about a condo I looked at on Grove between 14th and 15th, so it could be possible that that is where Honeycat lives. There are a few buildings there, and then what appear to be townhomes across from St. Lucy's. There are also a few buildings on 16th Street with apartments. Honeycat- where was it confirmed that it will be a hotel by Burke's? Frankly what scared me off from a nice, large condo at a good price on that block was Burke's and the homeless shelter. You're shielded from that more by 700. IMO, that area has so much potential...walk to Newport, Hoboken, HP...so much shopping. If they got rid of Holland Gardens (and they are supposed to) it would make a real dent.
doesnt matter how much potential or how much the area improves. 99% of the people will never want to live in front of something like this.

Posted on: 2014/10/13 20:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Seriously, SOHO West? I thought it was called The Taint.

Posted on: 2014/10/13 20:29

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017