Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 13 »

Re: CDC confirms first Ebola case diagnosed in US
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
[quote]

Reality check. Any corporate donors want to get into this stupid political argument? Publicly? No.

You win Kaci. West Africa loses.

Here's a true reality check: name any corporate "donor" who would do this and they will get TMZ'ed out of existence, or at least someone will get fired so fast it will make your stupid head spin.

Name any? Probably all of them. But not publicly - corporations don't tend to publish lists of to whom they don't donate. The policies of the CDC, MSF and WHO - and the actions of some of the returning med staff - call into question the competency of the whole operation. Individuals within corporations direct their charity to worthwhile causes. Given the disapproval ratings of how the president and the CDC have managed the crisis - it's easy to guess a lot of individuals won't direct their charity to fighting Ebola - throwing good money after bad.

And Republicans can probably thank Kaci for helping win the Senate and helping Gov LePage hold Maine.

So in other words, you have no real proof of your claims.

I tell you what though, if you do find proof of these ratbag charities, send them over to me. I could probably make good money from TMZ.

It's one thing to say that Kaci may have angered some people, there are plenty of irrational folks out there, it's another thing to say that Kaci has ended all charities to West Africa as we know it, causing the Republicans to win elections after months long of campaigning, etc. That takes a special kind of idiocy.

When your argument sinks to personal attacks, I know you've lost - like the Dems did yesterday.

The people showed that they are sick of Obama and the Dems' continued lying and incompetence. Brilliantly displayed throughout this entire ebola debacle.

Some people on this thread may not get it, but the country at large does.

Posted on: 2014/11/5 18:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
[quote]

Reality check. Any corporate donors want to get into this stupid political argument? Publicly? No.

Here's a true reality check: name any corporate "donor" who would do this and they will get TMZ'ed out of existence, or at least someone will get fired so fast it will make your stupid head spin.

Name any? Probably all of them. But not publicly - corporations don't tend to publish lists of to whom they don't donate. The policies of the CDC, MSF and WHO - and the actions of some of the returning med staff - call into question the competency of the whole operation. Individuals within corporations direct their charity to worthwhile causes. Given the disapproval ratings of how the president and the CDC have managed the crisis - it's easy to guess a lot of individuals won't direct their charity to fighting Ebola - throwing good money after bad.

And Republicans can probably thank Kaci for helping win the Senate and helping Gov LePage hold Maine.

I tell you what though, if you do find proof of these ratbag charities, send them over to me. I could probably make good money from TMZ.

It's one thing to say that Kaci may have angered some people, there are plenty of irrational folks out there, it's another thing to say that Kaci has ended all charities to West Africa as we know it, causing the Republicans to win elections after months long of campaigning, etc. That takes a special kind of idiocy.

When your argument sinks to personal attacks, I know you've lost - like the Dems did yesterday.

Posted on: 2014/11/5 14:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/1 5:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
[quote]

Posted on: 2014/11/5 13:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/11/5 11:53
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
[quote]

Posted on: 2014/11/5 8:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
[quote]

Posted on: 2014/11/4 13:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Resized Image

Ok. Grats on your fuckwit badge.

Posted on: 2014/11/4 3:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/11/4 3:00
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Deflections aside, most people (rightly) don't fear getting Ebola. It's the inept, inconsistent, and ever-changing response of the CDC and Federal gov that's the problem. And if the CDC and feds can't get their response to Ebola right - what happens when something more dangerous and infectious comes along - and we have to manage both the infection - and potential typhoid marys in the courts and not in quarantine? You happy to manage Ebola in the justice system and not the medical?

Deflections like you posted are simply dumb. Like "let's fix the death toll on our roads first before we worry about any other health issues". Or "let's ignore roads deaths while we tackle lung cancer from cigarettes".

Nonsense.

Posted on: 2014/11/4 2:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/11/3 22:36

Edited by fat-ass-bike on 2014/11/3 22:52:10
Edited by fat-ass-bike on 2014/11/3 22:52:51
Edited by fat-ass-bike on 2014/11/3 22:53:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Enough with the strawman BS; your broken record nonsense is just idiotic. So I take it you'll be the first to volunteer??

That and your argument makes little to no sense whatsoever.

When you decide to create arguments out of thin air, I'll call you on it. You want the record to stop repeating then actually discuss what is written instead of the argument you've made up in your mind.

As for the argument making little sense... well, I guess you can point out why you are confused by what I wrote. Or, I think you'll just stick with claiming it makes no sense without pointing to a legitimate reason why you believe so.

Addendum: I have no idea what you believe I should be volunteering for. You should probably expand upon that.

And this is the basis of every counter argument you make. You ignore the context within which people make subsequent points, and yell out "strawman! strawman!" at every point you can't disprove, as has been shown in many threads on here. It's pathetic because you're just a one trick pony, and everyone here knows it. Just because I don't copy and past every single previous point as you do, you just can't seem to follow along, and that's sad.

You know exactly what points I'm making; I'm not going to hold your hand through life buddy.

If you say so... But, when you'd like to join the big boy conversation and actually discuss the validity of the hysteria in conjunction with the actual ways in which to catch the disease, let me know. Until then, keep hiding under those covers...

nyrgravey9 actually hasn't disagreed with anything the CDC has published - if you cared to follow his posts on the thread.

You know there's more than 2 views being expressed - other than Pebble's view and not Pebble's view.

Posted on: 2014/11/3 22:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Enough with the strawman BS; your broken record nonsense is just idiotic. So I take it you'll be the first to volunteer??

When you decide to create arguments out of thin air, I'll call you on it. You want the record to stop repeating then actually discuss what is written instead of the argument you've made up in your mind.

As for the argument making little sense... well, I guess you can point out why you are confused by what I wrote. Or, I think you'll just stick with claiming it makes no sense without pointing to a legitimate reason why you believe so.

Addendum: I have no idea what you believe I should be volunteering for. You should probably expand upon that.

And this is the basis of every counter argument you make. You ignore the context within which people make subsequent points, and yell out "strawman! strawman!" at every point you can't disprove, as has been shown in many threads on here. It's pathetic because you're just a one trick pony, and everyone here knows it. Just because I don't copy and past every single previous point as you do, you just can't seem to follow along, and that's sad.

You know exactly what points I'm making; I'm not going to hold your hand through life buddy.

If you say so... But, when you'd like to join the big boy conversation and actually discuss the validity of the hysteria in conjunction with the actual ways in which to catch the disease, let me know. Until then, keep hiding under those covers...

Posted on: 2014/11/3 22:08
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Listening to this hysteria is like listening to a real estate broker explain the ins and outs of a fission reactor. Some of the words sound right, but mostly its just coming off as garbled nonsense.

Posted on: 2014/11/3 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Ebola! Ebola! Ebola! typical LOL

Ebola is a frightening, unpredictable disease. Nearly 5,000 West Africans have died from the current outbreak with more than 13,000 people thought infected.

However, so far the problem remains largely limited to Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone. Two other countries, Nigeria and Senegal, have had cases, yet are now Ebola-free. The DR Congo had an outbreak of a different strain of Ebola that now looks like it might be contained. And while there has been one case of the disease in Mali, the patient died and no others have been confirmed at the time of writing -- though that may well change.

Despite clear geographical limits to the Ebola outbreak, many Americans seem confused. How else could you explain the two Rwandan children sent home from school in New Jersey, despite the fact their East African home country is Ebola-free (and further from West Africa than New Jersey is to Texas)? Or the resignation of a teacher in Kentucky due to a backlash to her traveling to Kenya? Or the significant cancellation of tourist trips to places like Kenya, Zimbabwe and South Africa?

These countries are nowhere near the West African countries where Ebola is actually a problem. Frustrated by this, Anthony England, a British chemist who earned a doctorate at Massachusetts Institute of Technology and has spent a significant amount of time in sub-Saharan Africa, decided to make a map to help explain what countries currently have Ebola cases

More

Posted on: 2014/11/3 21:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/11/3 21:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/11/3 20:51
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Everybody needs to stop with the whole "this is just like AIDS hysteria" because it's a false equivalence.

Back then, people had no clue how AIDS spread, and were afraid of getting it by touch. Clearly that's not the case (unless of course you have a huge bleeding wound on your hand and shake hands with someone with AIDS who also has a huge bleeding wound on their hand).

Today, we DO know how easily Ebola can spread through casual contact in the right scenario (yes we can argue all F'n day about when during the course of the virus you can spread by touch), and kill you quickly, and painfully.

So please, those of you arguing against an over abundance of caution, please be the first to volunteer to house these individuals coming back from West Africa. Wait, NIMBY?

Yeah, I though so.

As much as I love you creating the fun strawman at the end, your argument is an entirely false equivalent.

Ebola seems to be caught relatively easily, but it has to be the right environment and there are a lot of people flipping out about it (very similar to that of HIV).

The reason people are comparing the two is because nobody ended up getting the gun-to-the-head quarantine treatment for HIV that people who have not even shown symptoms of Ebola are getting.

It has also been shown that Ebola is quite curable. The first American to contract it in this country was cured within a week, something that can't even happen with Mono. Yet, people still talk about the virus as being extremely fatal (which you just did).

Nobody is arguing that those who have possible contact with it should be hanging out at school yards and senior citizen homes. What people are saying is that this hysteria of fear needs to be severely ramped down.

Posted on: 2014/11/3 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
It has also been shown that Ebola is quite curable.

In West Africa the death rate has been reviewed upwards from 50 to 70% by the WHO. And there are a lot of variations over that range - people over 45 have a 90% chance of dying, under 21 it's 50% or so. For patients treated in the US - initial estimates were for a 30% death rate.

I guess it depends on your definition of "quite".

That is an exceptional example since it is well established that their availability to an adequate level of healthcare is on par with our own...

As we all know, the doctors and nurses flying over their to assist aren't doing so because the hospitals need doctors and nurses. No, those people are traveling there to learn from the best doctors in the world!

Posted on: 2014/11/3 18:37
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
It has also been shown that Ebola is quite curable.

In West Africa the death rate has been reviewed upwards from 50 to 70% by the WHO. And there are a lot of variations over that range - people over 45 have a 90% chance of dying, under 21 it's 50% or so. For patients treated in the US - initial estimates were for a 30% death rate.

I guess it depends on your definition of "quite".

Posted on: 2014/11/3 18:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Everybody needs to stop with the whole "this is just like AIDS hysteria" because it's a false equivalence.

Back then, people had no clue how AIDS spread, and were afraid of getting it by touch. Clearly that's not the case (unless of course you have a huge bleeding wound on your hand and shake hands with someone with AIDS who also has a huge bleeding wound on their hand).

Today, we DO know how easily Ebola can spread through casual contact in the right scenario (yes we can argue all F'n day about when during the course of the virus you can spread by touch), and kill you quickly, and painfully.

So please, those of you arguing against an over abundance of caution, please be the first to volunteer to house these individuals coming back from West Africa. Wait, NIMBY?

Yeah, I though so.

As much as I love you creating the fun strawman at the end, your argument is an entirely false equivalent.

Ebola seems to be caught relatively easily, but it has to be the right environment and there are a lot of people flipping out about it (very similar to that of HIV).

The reason people are comparing the two is because nobody ended up getting the gun-to-the-head quarantine treatment for HIV that people who have not even shown symptoms of Ebola are getting.

It has also been shown that Ebola is quite curable. The first American to contract it in this country was cured within a week, something that can't even happen with Mono. Yet, people still talk about the virus as being extremely fatal (which you just did).

Nobody is arguing that those who have possible contact with it should be hanging out at school yards and senior citizen homes. What people are saying is that this hysteria of fear needs to be severely ramped down.

Posted on: 2014/11/3 18:07
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Yeah, I though so.

Posted on: 2014/11/3 14:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
wrote:
She had the courage to risk her life and volunteer to save the lives of strangers. She should be applauded and not have her rights infringed on by craven politicians.

Her courage is neither here nor there. Dr. Craig Spenser of NYC was no less courageous. It doesn't change the fact that the idiot wouldn't stop till he travelled all over the City creating a risk of an outbreak and now about 170 NYC health officials have to monitor everyone he got in contact with.

Quote:
fat-ass-bike wrote:
This all sounds like the same fear and hysteria when we talked about AIDS 30 years ago !

Yeah, with just one minor tiny difference that AIDS is 100% preventable with just few simple and easy to implement safety precautions.

Quote:
ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:
Pebble wrote:

I find it funny that cowards like yourself are all about small government until the boogeyman walks out of the closet and then you go running to the government screaming ?Save me!!!?

If logic and reason were required of opinions, a great number of people wouldn't have any.

You see, "small government" is not the same as "no government". We want the Government to do the small set of things that are not possible to do without it. Like maintaining the NAVY. Or making treaties with other countries. And, well, instituting quarantines to prevent deadly pandemics.

There is nothing illogical about us not wanting the government to be engaged in every single aspect of our lives, from regulating the salt in our food to prohibiting us from hiring an unlicensed barber.

Hope this helps.

If not, here is a simple analogy that you'd surely be able to follow: if I were to say that alcoholism is wrong, it wouldn't be illogical on my part to drink a toast at my daughter's wedding. See? No? Do I need to explain how this analogy works?

Posted on: 2014/11/3 13:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/13 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Hickox herself may have executed thousands of West Africa by asserting her personal liberties.

Each of your posts on this issue get more bizarre; calling her typhoid mary, etc.

She had the courage to risk her life and volunteer to save the lives of strangers. She should be applauded and not have her rights infringed on by craven politicians.

Posted on: 2014/11/3 0:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
This all sounds like the same fear and hysteria when we talked about AIDS 30 years ago !

We need to take a step back, before we jump on any band-wagon and make accusations and spread bullsiht !

Posted on: 2014/11/3 0:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
WTF are you talking about?

If some truly messed up people are sooo offended by her exercising her civil rights that they would cut off charitable aid to poor countries, that's on their conscience. They are the type of people who will find any excuse to do evil, and by evil I mean the kind when good men and women do nothing.

Kaci Hickox risks her own life and safety to combat ebola at the source and you call her stupid and selfish? You cannot sound any more moronic.

Posted on: 2014/11/3 0:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
WTF are you talking about?

If some truly messed up people are sooo offended by her exercising her civil rights that they would cut off charitable aid to poor countries, that's on their conscience. They are the type of people who will find any excuse to do evil, and by evil I mean the kind when good men and women do nothing.

Kaci Hickox risks her own life and safety to combat ebola at the source and you call her stupid and selfish? You cannot sound any more moronic.

Posted on: 2014/11/1 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hickox herself may have executed thousands of West Africa by asserting her personal liberties.

Quarantines might discourage health workers travelling - but on the flip side - legal challenges like Hickox's - may have just lost millions of private aid to West Africa - given the political spin. Her message and actions were stupid and selfish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unintended_consequences

Posted on: 2014/11/1 2:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/2 20:54
Group:
Banned
He changed his mind - let that be a lesson to all you armchair lawyers, doctors, scientists and AM talk-radio listeners.

Maine Judge Rejects Ebola Quarantine for Nurse Kaci Hickox.

A judge in Maine ruled Friday that Kaci Hickox, the nurse who treated Ebola patients and is defying a state-imposed quarantine, can come and go as she pleases, as long as she is monitored for symptoms and lets health officials know where she?s going.

The same judge had issued a temporary order on Thursday night ordering Hickox to stay at least three feet away from other people and to stay away from crowds and public transportation.

But the judge, Charles C. LaVerdiere of state court, lifted those parts of the order on Friday. He found that authorities in Maine had not proved that restricting Hickox?s movement was necessary to protect the public from infection.

He said that his order was pending a further hearing. Hickox said she would comply, and she said she was grateful for support from all over the world.

?Ebola is a scary disease. I have seen it face-to-face, and I know that we are nowhere near winning this battle,? she said. She said it would only be won ?as we gain a better understanding about Ebola and public health, as we overcome the fear, and most importantly as we end the outbreak that is still going on in West Africa today.?

Hickox, who returned from Africa a week ago, has maintained that authorities in Maine violated her rights by demanding that she stay at home for 21 days. She took a defiant bike ride on Thursday, and Gov. Paul LePage said she was testing his patience.

The judge said Hickox must submit to what health officials call direct active monitoring ? having her temperature taken and being checked for symptoms at least once a day. But he stresses that she has no symptoms and is therefore not infectious.

The nurse spent last weekend in an isolation tent near the airport in Newark, New Jersey. She objected to the conditions and had a public spat with Gov. Chris Christie, who dared her to sue him.

The judge in Maine gave her a gentle rebuke in his ruling.

?The court is fully aware that people are acting out of fear and that this fear is not entirely rational,? he wrote. ?However, whether that fear is rational or not, it is present and it is real.

?Respondent?s actions at this point, as a health care professional, need to demonstrate her full understanding of human nature and the real fear that exist. She should guide herself accordingly.?

Hickox said she understood the sentiment.

?I?m a nurse and a public health worker,? she said. ?I don?t want to make people uncomfortable.?

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebol ... nurse-kaci-hickox-n238326

Posted on: 2014/10/31 18:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/26 14:00
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Finally, the selfish nurse is forced into doing the right thing. Let this be a lesson to you armchair lawyers who pretended this was unconstitutional.

Judge issues order enforcing Ebola isolation of defiant Maine nurse

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0IK1LZ20141031?irpc=932

You realize that that's not how the law works, right? One judge's ruling does not a settled constitutional question make.

Case law suggests that the government absolutely has the ability (one might say duty) to imprison / isolate an individual whose contagious condition poses an active threat to the health and safety of the general public.

I am not aware of any case law suggesting that the government can do the same due to fear or ignorance of the actual threat.

Posted on: 2014/10/31 17:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Finally, the selfish nurse is forced into doing the right thing. Let this be a lesson to you armchair lawyers who pretended this was unconstitutional.

Judge issues order enforcing Ebola isolation of defiant Maine nurse

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0IK1LZ20141031?irpc=932

Should be interesting when she appeals and has to make a court appearance.

Posted on: 2014/10/31 17:18

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 13 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017