Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City to restructure police department for first time in two decades
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
$100K today after 20 years is no the same as $100K in ten years.

What was the salary of a ten year veteran currenly, and how does that compare to $100K in ten years after inflation is projected forward at historic rates?

Gross comparisons like that are disingenuous.

I have bones to pick with Fulop and the JCPD, but that salary level is not it. I would prefer to reserve my powder for a civilian review board with actual teeth.

Posted on: 2014/11/12 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Police Dept. revamp proposed
New table of organization seeks to maximize crime fighting and accountability

by Al Sullivan
Reporter staff writer
Nov 02, 2014 |

Under a new table of organization for the Jersey City Police Department proposed by Public Safety Director James Shea, direct oversight of day-to-day operations would be shifted from the chief of police to a newly-appointed deputy police chief.

Shea gave an overview of the changes proposed for the Police Department during the City Council caucus on Oct. 20, saying that plans to reorganize the Fire Department will soon come too.

The change in police organization is the first in at least two decades, and is the result of a need for more predictability in the department, he said.

The recommendations were signed off on by Chief of Police Philip Zacche and reviewed by a council committee that included former police officers Richard Boggiano and Frank Gajewski and Councilman Daniel Rivera. The reorganization would shift some duties from police officers to civilians, but would not likely increase the number of police on the street until the department increases manpower.

The goal is to eventually increase the number of police from about 792 to about 900.

?We would like 950,? Shea said. ?But I?ll be happy with 900.?

The hiring of new officers will be made a little easier financially because of pending retirements that will allow the department to hire younger officers for less money than those retiring.

?We lose experience, but we save money,? Shea said. ?We have about 111 officers who are eligible to retire. But remember, the savings is only at the start. Eventually the officers will be making more money.?

Shea said new officers would be hired at about $38,000 a year, but salary guides would bring each up to $100,000 by their 10th year.

Read more: Hudson Reporter - Police Dept revamp proposed New table of organization seeks to maximize crime fighting and accountability
http://www.hudsonreporter.com/view/fu ... ty--?instance=jersey_city

Posted on: 2014/11/9 5:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
This is civil service, we do not pay cops more if they arrest more people. This is not the private sector. If it took 20 years to earn $100,000 as of 2013, it is absolutely ridiculous to give that amount in ten. The new officers are JC residents, most likely graduates of the school system.

Posted on: 2014/11/3 13:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
You are spinning this to make a conclusion fit your words. In 2013, I saw the budget, cops in their 20th year was making $100,000. Now it is the tenth year. Public Safety (fire, pension, health care, all thing related to this ) is 70% of budget. The ratable base was higher in 1988 when the city was close to $7 billion and the tax rate was $30.52. The ratable base is below $6 billion and the total rate is around $75. In the past, McCann bonded $128.9 million, which the state allowed. Most of this money went to police. Schundler bonded $20 million for police terminal leave, and we have been bonding close to $40 million on terminal leave during Healy/Fulop. We cannot afford this, it is a give-a-way. I have seen the annual debt service rise in 25 years from $20 million to $60 million because we are still paying off the bonds from McCann and Schundler.

Our history on spending and budgets in this city by past administrations has been nothing short of pure inepture and gross mismanagement ... bordering corrupt behavior.

If you want the status quo on poor policing in this city, then sit on your hands with a bag on your head and hope for tinker-bell to wave her magic wand.

This is the reality of police salaries;
http://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/New-Y ... ment-Salaries-E106980.htm

Yvonne, you obviously don't understand pay parity. JC has been a sleepy-hollow for 2nd rate cops and we need to change that and lure great cops and prospective new recruits that can see a reward based police career here.
I am aware of no less then half a dozen young adults (via their parents) with great work ethics that moved to NY to join the police force there.

The city is not changing the process of hiring cops. Cops are hired through a test, then they are investigated by cops. These cops come from the JC population. 2nd rate cops is a term you using to justify $100,000 in ten years.

You obviously have no idea about salaries, budgets and how to retain quality staff and attract quality recruits - It would seem you are only interested in having a dig at Fulop or Shea for the sake of it and most likely its politically motivated.
Yvonne, you are a classic example of why we have so much 'trash' in the JC political landscape.
You are like a broken watch, and you rely on the fact that at least twice a day you are consequently right; this motivates you to keep going with most of your nonsense!

Posted on: 2014/11/3 2:21
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
You are spinning this to make a conclusion fit your words. In 2013, I saw the budget, cops in their 20th year was making $100,000. Now it is the tenth year. Public Safety (fire, pension, health care, all thing related to this ) is 70% of budget. The ratable base was higher in 1988 when the city was close to $7 billion and the tax rate was $30.52. The ratable base is below $6 billion and the total rate is around $75. In the past, McCann bonded $128.9 million, which the state allowed. Most of this money went to police. Schundler bonded $20 million for police terminal leave, and we have been bonding close to $40 million on terminal leave during Healy/Fulop. We cannot afford this, it is a give-a-way. I have seen the annual debt service rise in 25 years from $20 million to $60 million because we are still paying off the bonds from McCann and Schundler.

Our history on spending and budgets in this city by past administrations has been nothing short of pure inepture and gross mismanagement ... bordering corrupt behavior.

If you want the status quo on poor policing in this city, then sit on your hands with a bag on your head and hope for tinker-bell to wave her magic wand.

Yvonne, you obviously don't understand pay parity. JC has been a sleepy-hollow for 2nd rate cops and we need to change that and lure great cops and prospective new recruits that can see a reward based police career here.
I am aware of no less then half a dozen young adults (via their parents) with great work ethics that moved to NY to join the police force there.

The city is not changing the process of hiring cops. Cops are hired through a test, then they are investigated by cops. These cops come from the JC population. 2nd rate cops is a term you using to justify $100,000 in ten years.

Posted on: 2014/11/3 1:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2014/11/3 0:04
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/11/2 23:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I am glad the Jersey City Reporter wrote the article about $100,000 cops in ten years. I saw the salaries in 2013, it took 20 years for cops to earn $100,000. So is Fulop giving away the store?

My hope is that they have a huge turn-over of cops that don't make 10 years of service. To get the best you do need to pay good money or they will go to other police departments and we end up with 'trash - bottom of the barrel' cops (which we appear to have been experiencing for years).

I hope the promotion evaluation and employment continuation is based on a highly developed key performance indicators and clinical service reviews on their outputs.

If this means that all new recruits need to sign up on 2 year contacts then so be it - Outstanding service keeps your job and generates a great income ... however, poor service gets no employment or lucrative, but deserving pay.

No mayor has been successful with the police union. Plus why would a copy leave? The won the lottery with the salaries.

The union would jump on this - more money for their members. If Shea and Fulop can negotiate conditions with the increase, then it will be good for JC - The lottery would be for the city to maintain an effective, diligent and profession policing unit - The only drama would be to maintain those conditions when Shea and Fulop leave, thus the conditions / contracts need to be election proof.

Being a union rep in the past, its often a case of union muscle only being used for the collective not the individual, especially if the individual is a lazy inept member; they would not get a 'real' representation if their employer proves they are unfit, useless employees and don't meet the conditions of their employment via KPI's and Service Reviews.

As a union rep I never fought for a proven lazy good for nothing inept employee. If they had shown they could not perform to a minimum agreed standard, then union money and my time would NOT be wasted.

Posted on: 2014/11/2 23:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I am glad the Jersey City Reporter wrote the article about $100,000 cops in ten years. I saw the salaries in 2013, it took 20 years for cops to earn $100,000. So is Fulop giving away the store?

My hope is that they have a huge turn-over of cops that don't make 10 years of service. To get the best you do need to pay good money or they will go to other police departments and we end up with 'trash - bottom of the barrel' cops (which we appear to have been experiencing for years).

I hope the promotion evaluation and employment continuation is based on a highly developed key performance indicators and clinical service reviews on their outputs.

If this means that all new recruits need to sign up on 2 year contacts then so be it - Outstanding service keeps your job and generates a great income ... however, poor service gets no employment or lucrative, but deserving pay.

No mayor has been successful with the police union. Plus why would a copy leave? The won the lottery with the salaries.

Posted on: 2014/11/2 23:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2014/11/2 22:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/11/2 14:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Police Dept. revamp proposed
New table of organization seeks to maximize crime fighting and accountability

by Al Sullivan
Reporter staff writer Nov 02, 2014 |

Under a new table of organization for the Jersey City Police Department proposed by Public Safety Director James Shea, direct oversight of day-to-day operations would be shifted from the chief of police to a newly-appointed deputy police chief.

Shea gave an overview of the changes proposed for the Police Department during the City Council caucus on Oct. 20, saying that plans to reorganize the Fire Department will soon come too.

The change in police organization is the first in at least two decades, and is the result of a need for more predictability in the department, he said.

The recommendations were signed off on by Chief of Police Philip Zacche and reviewed by a council committee that included former police officers Richard Boggiano and Frank Gajewski and Councilman Daniel Rivera. The reorganization would shift some duties from police officers to civilians, but would not likely increase the number of police on the street until the department increases manpower.

The goal is to eventually increase the number of police from about 792 to about 900.

?We would like 950,? Shea said. ?But I?ll be happy with 900.?

The hiring of new officers will be made a little easier financially because of pending retirements that will allow the department to hire younger officers for less money than those retiring.

?We lose experience, but we save money,? Shea said. ?We have about 111 officers who are eligible to retire. But remember, the savings is only at the start. Eventually the officers will be making more money.?

Shea said new officers would be hired at about $38,000 a year, but salary guides would bring each up to $100,000 by their 10th year.

Read more: Hudson Reporter - Police Dept revamp proposed New table of organization seeks to maximize crime fighting and accountability
http://hudsonreporter.com/view/full_s ... nce=jersey_city_top_story

Posted on: 2014/11/2 4:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
What concerns me is the bonding we do for terminal employees, employees who leave government. Tonight, the city floated $7.5 million, Fulop took out $2 million from the budget to pay overtime. That $2 million was earmarked for terminal leave. So if you hire new cops that will eventually make $100,000 in ten years, what will we bond for terminal leave when those employees leave in 25 years?

Posted on: 2014/10/23 0:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
The wage of 37K isn't bad for a new recruit that could be 20 yrs old with no 'real' formal education necessary - You don't need a degree in Criminal Justice or the like to join the police!

A guy or gal flipping burgers one day can the next, apply for the police!

My only concern is that promotion be NOT based on tenure within the police force - Some cops are hopeless and should never be promoted as they lack aptitude.

Posted on: 2014/10/22 22:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If you think salaries are not important, tonight at the city council, we are again bonding tax dollars for employees who are leaving. We have been doing this for a while now. So if a police officer makes $100,000 in ten years, what will they make when they retire? Taxpayers cannot afford to constantly bond tax dollars. I truly wish Shea remarks on salaries was available.

Posted on: 2014/10/22 18:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Keeping it classy, as usual! :)

Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Can there be just one thread on this site that isn't immediately taken wildly off topic by the local wingnuts? Just one? Please?

not until she is committed unfortunately. Although father time is not exactly on her side.

I was mostly talking about Monroe, but Yvonne seems to have outdone him. I hope Monroe's actuarials are similar though.

Posted on: 2014/10/22 18:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Can there be just one thread on this site that isn't immediately taken wildly off topic by the local wingnuts? Just one? Please?

not until she is committed unfortunately. Although father time is not exactly on her side.

I was mostly talking about Monroe, but Yvonne seems to have outdone him. I hope Monroe's actuarials are similar though.

Posted on: 2014/10/22 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/22 17:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The discussion of salaries was part of Shea's remarks, it should have been in the story. What I am hearing, let's attack the messenger. By the way, the caucus meeting will eventually be on the city's web site.

Posted on: 2014/10/22 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:

No.

Posted on: 2014/10/22 14:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Maise wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I went to the caucus meeting when Shea presented his organization plan. The starting salaries for new hires will drop to $37,000 but in ten years, they will be making $100,000. There are officers on the payroll at 20 years service who makes that now. I wish that information was in the JJ story.

Your comment is meaningless without context. What is the total salary of a typical officer (in terms of, pension, benefits and base pay) over the expected employment period in the new structure and the older structure? Who cares what an officer is making 10 years into their job. I care about what they will cost the city over their entire career, including pension.

Is this information available anywhere?

Shea did not give me the same paper info that he gave the council. But the pubic can hear comments, those were his comments at the caucus. The city is at fault for not making that information public. I am not the city. I mention this because, it was not in the reporter's story. Your argument is not with me, it is with the city. Ask them to make that information public.

Posted on: 2014/10/22 13:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/22 2:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/20 18:54
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I went to the caucus meeting when Shea presented his organization plan. The starting salaries for new hires will drop to $37,000 but in ten years, they will be making $100,000. There are officers on the payroll at 20 years service who makes that now. I wish that information was in the JJ story.

Your comment is meaningless without context. What is the total salary of a typical officer (in terms of, pension, benefits and base pay) over the expected employment period in the new structure and the older structure? Who cares what an officer is making 10 years into their job. I care about what they will cost the city over their entire career, including pension.

Is this information available anywhere?

Posted on: 2014/10/22 2:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/22 1:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
I agree. And those who receive public assistance, welfare, food stamps, and other types of taxpayer funded assistance. With the same consequences for users.

Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Resized Image

Also introduce random and regular steroid and substance abuse testing of officers

Posted on: 2014/10/22 1:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Also introduce random and regular steroid and substance abuse testing of officers

Posted on: 2014/10/22 1:19

Jersey City to restructure police department for first time in two decades
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City to restructure police department for first time in two decades

By Michaelangelo Conte | The Jersey Journal
on October 21, 2014 at 8:13 AM

Jersey City Public Safety Director James Shea gave a presentation to the City Council last night outlining his plan to reorganize the Police Department to establish a better chain of command, greater supervision, training and greater accountability.

"This new table of organization provides a structure for the department to grow while maximizing resources dedicated to street patrol and crime fighting," Shea said. "We will be able to identify the necessary units and their appropriate size, maximize personnel in enforcement units and on patrol, and reduce and civilianize support units wherever possible."

The department will revamp field training for new police officers. The training currently calls for one month of training after graduating from the police academy. As part of the changes, field training will increase to one full year ? three months in each district ? so new recruits get to learn how to police the entire city. Recruits will also undergo training with specialized units such as narcotics.

Read More:
http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... y_to_restructure_pol.html

Posted on: 2014/10/22 0:35

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017