Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 13 »

Re: Downtown Jersey City businesses take on local farmers market
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bubble_Tea wrote:
I've been living in JC on and off for over 7 years and eat at Ibbys regularly. I have not noticed any major differences in their food.

I used to love their stuffed grape leaves, but they've become this soggy inedible mush. A lot of their meats seem greasier, too. My mom used to always want to stop at Ibby's when she was visiting to get the shawarma, but she stopped going a few years back. She, too, said she thought the meats were greasier. I always chalked up the slide in quality to the owner not being around as much as he used to. On the other hand, the hummus is still good.

Posted on: 2014/10/10 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
My favorite was when the Two Boots owner essentially said if you don't like his banning movement, go move to Venezuela. Then cried that he was a "human pinata" when that didn't go over so well.

If you're going to have a misplaced martyr complex, at least try to use an Italian food reference next time!

I know it. Why would I want to move to Venezuela when I, as a consumer, are perfectly happy with the eating establishment situation in Jersey City? Then he calls himself a pinata? Seems like he would fit right in down in Venezuela.

Posted on: 2014/10/10 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/22 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Quote:

TwoBootsJC wrote:
What???
The price of my rent is set by the market. The price of a space at the Grove Street Plaza isn't. Am I missing something? As I said, the vendors at the plaza are receiving a subsidized, below market rent, plain and simple.

Wait a second, your argument is invalid. If the price of a tent at grove is cheaper than a brick and mortar store, that makes perfect sense actually. The vendor provides everything except the physical space in which to operate. It's a piece of concrete. Of course it's going to cost significantly less!

No. The pizza guy has a point. Under market conditions, that highly desirable concrete area near the grove path would be privately owned and likely put to more profitable use than a Farmer's market twice a week for part of the year. That's not to say the Farmer's Market wouldn't happen under entirely different conditions. And if pop-ups were completely unrestricted, on private property thoughout the city, and became very popular, that would likely drive down the cost of rent for restaurants.

Posted on: 2014/10/10 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/22 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
I, too, would like to know the full list of 17 whiners, so I can refrain from patronizing them. That must be part of the public record somewhere. Two Boots has already mentioned some of them, and with the exception of La Conguita, all serve pretty mediocre food. Ibbys was good when I first moved to JC a dozen years ago, but the quality has slipped noticeably over the past five years or so. Aaron, your pizza is OK, but I think your bigger problem is an oversaturation of pizza joints in a very small area. If I want empanadas, that's what I'm gonna get. Forcing them from the market isn't gonna drive me to pick up something else at Two Boots or any other restaurant.

I've been living in JC on and off for over 7 years and eat at Ibbys regularly. I have not noticed any major differences in their food.

Posted on: 2014/10/10 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
My favorite was when the Two Boots owner essentially said if you don't like his banning movement, go move to Venezuela. Then cried that he was a "human pinata" when that didn't go over so well.

If you're going to have a misplaced martyr complex, at least try to use an Italian food reference next time!

Posted on: 2014/10/10 13:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Another scenario could be a mobile tax return van that parks at VV and Hamilton Park during the peak period. I'm sure accountants and tax return processing staff wouldn't be happy.

What about a mobile carwash van parked outside a premised carwash offering an alternative; being the mere fact they come to you !!

What about a drug store van or mobile liquor van or simply look at your own trade or profession, and how would you react if you lost your job and the office closed down !

Note: A man in a van or a man at a stand will always have lower overheads and reduce his margins !

Also isn't it interesting that these 'farmers market and food vans' aren't anywhere to be seen in our lower income high density areas of JC drumming up business ?

These sound like great ideas. Remember I used to help run Supersounds over in the Hudson Mall. You think we complained at all that there was a record swap? That whatsisface would have a tent and sell used CDs? Hell, the owner of that was the guy who had Perfect Music in Newport ages ago. There used to be THREE music stores in that mall. You see us still in business? It sure as hell wasn't because FYE/Target/Best Buy were kicking our ass, it's because the rents there were 5 figures for a thousand sq ft storefront and the margins in that industry blew. Then Amazon and Google and everywhere else came along and pushed our sh~t in.

Sometimes you open up a business that can't compete in the world anymore. Wouldn't be the first time and won't be the last. Restaurants have something like a 60% failure rate. Boots is nothing special. Innovate or so long.

Posted on: 2014/10/10 13:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vrug wrote:
Quote:

kencares wrote:
Bistro only gets 2.5 stars on yelp:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-bistro-at ... y-city?sort_by=rating_asc

Boots does better with 3.5, but still has its share of problems:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/two-boots-jersey-city-2?sort_by=rating_asc

maybe they should both focus more on customer satisfaction and less on their competitors.

This is a valid point:
Mordi's Schnitzel - 4.5 stars: http://www.yelp.com/biz/mordis-schnitzel-truck-jersey-city
Dark Side of the Moo - 4.5 stars: http://www.yelp.com/biz/dark-side-of-the-moo-hoboken
Stella's Empanada's (albeit the Kearny restaurant)- 4.5 stars: http://www.yelp.com/biz/stellas-empanadas-kearny

Doesn't this tell the brick and mortar guys everything they need to know? Slowly but surely, JC is growing out of generic bland food destinations. The activity in this blog, the success of the Hamilton Park BBQ Fest, the JC Project, etc are all testament to that.

If the costs of brick and mortar are too high that it stifles creativity, then at some point those costs will have to come down when more food establishments take to food stands/trucks. It's all supply/demand at the end of the day. Neither would survive without there being demand so nobody should take their patrons for granted. Personally, having moved from Manhattan a year ago, there are still too few restaurants in JC that encourage me to visit for a second time. I will try almost anywhere once, because I dine out to get something that I cannot make myself. But I will only return for a second visit if the restaurant is offering something unique that I then crave.

I don't want to target any particular restaurants with this, but pizza (the way most places in DTJC do it) does not take very much imagination/creativity. For the increasingly health-conscious society that we live it, it's going to be an increasingly infrequent treat.

Interesting to note that the actual really good places (Kraverie, 30 Acres, Taqueria, Taqueria Viva, both Park & 6th locations) are all at 4 stars.

Posted on: 2014/10/10 13:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Whelp, guess I won't be buying from you anymore. Shame, I rather liked going there once a month or so. Here's why you're full of it on pretty much all your points.
Quote:

TwoBootsJC wrote:

1. The food trucks and table vendors represent predatory and unfair competition. How can I say this? It's pretty simple. When we open a restaurant we have to invest hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars. We then have to pay astronomical rents to be close to Grove Plaza. We pay high taxes and fees to Jersey City. The food trucks and table vendors have none of these costs. They pay a small fee and get to parachute in during the busiest hours of the day, the dinner rush. (They can stay away during the slow times.) So, their cost advantage is huge. Imagine running a business where your competitors minimum-wage could be half of yours. That's what this is like. It's completely unfair.

Food truck vendors pay taxes as well. That or they should get busted for tax evasion. They also pay for licenses. They can stay away during slow times, but their business is completely and irrevocably lost during inclement weather. Restaurants are not. They are standing room, take out only. Restaurants are not. They are extremely limited in what items they can sell and make due to the tiny kitchen. Restaurants are not.

Trucks and vendors have some advantages, brick and mortar establishments have others. It is - in general - a completely fair trade-off. I also notice that none of the whiners complaining about the food trucks SUPER DUPER EXTREME ADVANTAGE ever seem to like it to the point where they'd buy a truck of their own. I mean if they have all of these great things at none of the drawbacks, why not get in on the action?

Oh, that's right, because you're only highlighting the sh!t that makes you look better without listing any of the enormous issues they otherwise face.

Quote:
2. Brick-and-mortar stores like ours make an immense contribution to the Jersey City economy. The food trucks and table vendors do not. Fully two thirds of the vendors at the Grove Plaza farmers market are from outside of Jersey City. They haven't built out any restaurants or hired any local contractors. They pay no rent to downtown landlords. They employ no Jersey City residents. They pay almost none of the Jersey City taxes and fees that we pay. Of the 10 vendors at Grove Plaza that are from Jersey City, only four of them have actually built brick-and-mortar establishments. None of them have done so in the pricey downtown area. So even they have a huge cost advantage over us.

Golden Grille employs no JC residents? Legal Beans? Fabia even went with the "if you can't beat them, join them" stance and put out a stand a few times. Pretty sure Bistro employs JC folks. Again if they're not paying the taxes they're supposed to, or you think the fees should be raised, that's one thing. You're not advocating that, so you can take a hike as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
3. We are all for fair competition. Several of you have mentioned the opening of Porta next door to Two Boots. I welcome them. They have invested millions in a beautiful new space. They are competing with me fairly. When Roman Nose opened, they took a bite out of my sales. But I welcomed them also. They are nice guys and serve good food. But, as I explained above, a food truck or a guy selling from the table from southern New Jersey or Brooklyn is simply not fair competition. [quote]

If your place is losing so much business to some guy in a tent and some pre-cooked stuff, you've got other issues. Again, where's the 40/40 club, Shake Shack, Num Pang, 7-11, Eataly, Subway, Hill Country, etc. complaining about Madison Sq. Eats? It's a goddamn tent city out there every day for a month at a stretch. Wanna know why I never ate there more than I did? Because you charge 4 bucks a slice. It's nice enough pizza, but when you're as expensive as you are, I weigh out all the options and choose to eat elsewhere. I call in a pickup order to Rustique if it isn't a Monday. Szechuan or Big Chef. Now, with Taqueria open literally on my way home, there's no reason to ever patronize you again.

[quote]4. the owner of Ibby's ... makes some of the best food you could ever want

You're high. That place is mediocre at best and between his food, prices and attitude towards others, I never, ever eat there. Especially with all the other options around. I've lived in downtown JC since before Ibby's opened. I can count on one hand the times I've gone to that place since he opened up 18 years ago.

Quote:
5. Jeff Favia clearly has many detractors here. I cannot comment as to some of the claims that have been made. I don't know Jeff well enough. What I can say is that he invested approximately $3 million in one of the nicest looking restaurants in Jersey City and has immeasurably improved the way the plaza looks. What if a Hooters had gone in there? I think his views need to be taken seriously.

If Hooters had invested that money would it be any different? Is their 3 million somehow worse than his 3 million? IDGAF how much money he wants to pour into investing into multiple restaurants that he hopes to flip for insane profit. That's his problem, not mine.

Quote:
But so long as there are tables and food trucks at Grove Plaza restauranteurs will be less likely to build.

Bullsh!t. You built here. Porta's building here. Talde. 30 Acres. Favia. Kraverie. Sandwich Shop. Park & 6th (TWICE!).

I'd like to thank you for expressing your views here in public. It's nice to let me know which businesses I should and should not give my money to.

Posted on: 2014/10/10 12:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
[quote]
nyrgravey9 wrote:
Where is this magical world of ease and innovation you speak of?? You may have just inspired some entrepreneurs! I like it!

[quote]

I was going to say something similar - seems like he has more entrepreneurial spirit than I ever would.

Posted on: 2014/10/10 12:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Without reading the 4 pages of replies that cropped up overnight, I wonder if people, including the restaurant owners aren't missing something very simple.

One of the days of the farmer's market is Monday. Monday is the worst day for eating out. To the extent that a bunch of places are not open on Monday (Park & 6th, Sakura sushi, Rustique, Kraverie).

This has been fairly standard since before the market's inception. Perhaps some of these whiners might want to look at other reasons and not scapegoat shit that doesn't actually impact their business.

Posted on: 2014/10/10 12:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Where is this magical world of ease and innovation you speak of?? You may have just inspired some entrepreneurs! I like it!

Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Another scenario could be a mobile tax return van that parks at VV and Hamilton Park during the peak period. I'm sure accountants and tax return processing staff wouldn't be happy.

What about a mobile carwash van parked outside a premised carwash offering an alternative; being the mere fact they come to you !!

What about a drug store van or mobile liquor van or simply look at your own trade or profession, and how would you react if you lost your job and the office closed down !

Note: A man in a van or a man at a stand will always have lower overheads and reduce his margins !

Also isn't it interesting that these 'farmers market and food vans' aren't anywhere to be seen in our lower income high density areas of JC drumming up business ?

Posted on: 2014/10/10 11:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

I've already seen the first type of business you mentioned during tax season, when there's more than enough business to go around. I'd never get my taxes done by someone in a van. I go to an office for that. But others are entitled to their choice.

A mobile car wash sounds like a good idea to me - always have to wait too long in line to get my car washed. I'm sure there are environmental concerns with the chemicals being dumped on the street though.

I wouldn't buy my prescription drugs from a van. I think the state probably regulates against something like that for reasons other than protecting brick-and-mortar businesses. Same for mobile liquor vans.

I wouldn't like it if I lost my job and the office closed down, but then perhaps I'd seek out a job with one of the van-based businesses. Really, F-A-B? You can come up with a better argument than that. I haven't seen a single restaurant closed down because of competition from the food trucks. I'm sure many different factors contribute to the demise of a restaurant.

As for food vans not going into the lower income areas, you're wrong about that. I've seen plenty in the poorer neighborhoods and they seem to do very well, maybe even better than those down by Grove street. Poorer neighborhoods is where a lot of money can be made, believe it or not, mainly because the residents are more likely to make purchases with cash and don't have the time to complain to the city council about them, if they happen to have a problem with them coming to their neighborhood.

Posted on: 2014/10/10 3:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
I would be curious as to how much of a difference in overhead the stands have vs. brick and mortar businesses.

Posted on: 2014/10/10 3:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/10 2:48
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:

So what if they are poachers? When you set up a new business, part of that is evaluating the potential competition. If you are locating a restaurant in a decent sized city, you would think that having to compete with food trucks, or tables at market plazas, is something you'd consider when opening a brick-and-mortar restaurant. If your restaurant was off a suburban exit on a highway, not so much. Now, if the laws concerning food trucks had been changed substantially AFTER you opened your brick-and-mortar business, to the point of being detrimental to your business (assuming you could prove that the food trucks and not something else was having an effect on your business), then you have a valid complaint against the local government. Otherwise, it's learn to compete or close up shop.

Interesting - Therefore you wouldn't mind if a mechanic's workshop was littered with mobile mechanic vans around their property offering cheap quotes on repairs only to drive a business out ... once out they move on to the next business to drive out !

This then beckons the need for any bricks and mortar businesses ! We could even have a mobile RV hotel that parks outside the Hilton !

There is a BIGGER picture to this issue and 'pop-up' businesses if they chose to, could be unscrupulous in their business tactics ... It is a tactic similar to how Borders out priced many small book-shops !

You might have a point with the mobile mechanic vans and the mobile RV hotel. But those are things that would cause traffic problems in a neighborhood and issues with clutter and aesthetics. I don't think people staying at the Hilton would be interested in staying in an RV either, different type of market. Customers don't seem to be complaining about the farmers market or food trucks, only supposedly "competing" businesses.

As for Borders, they're out of business now, so I guess the karma came to bite them in the ass. The stands at the farmers market are not like Borders and I don't think they're trying to undercut the brick-and-mortar restaurants. They're just out there running a business like everyone else.

Posted on: 2014/10/10 2:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:

So what if they are poachers? When you set up a new business, part of that is evaluating the potential competition. If you are locating a restaurant in a decent sized city, you would think that having to compete with food trucks, or tables at market plazas, is something you'd consider when opening a brick-and-mortar restaurant. If your restaurant was off a suburban exit on a highway, not so much. Now, if the laws concerning food trucks had been changed substantially AFTER you opened your brick-and-mortar business, to the point of being detrimental to your business (assuming you could prove that the food trucks and not something else was having an effect on your business), then you have a valid complaint against the local government. Otherwise, it's learn to compete or close up shop.

Interesting - Therefore you wouldn't mind if a mechanic's workshop was littered with mobile mechanic vans around their property offering cheap quotes on repairs only to drive a business out ... once out they move on to the next business to drive out !

This then beckons the need for any bricks and mortar businesses ! We could even have a mobile RV hotel that parks outside the Hilton !

There is a BIGGER picture to this issue and 'pop-up' businesses if they chose to, could be unscrupulous in their business tactics ... It is a tactic similar to how Borders out priced many small book-shops !

Posted on: 2014/10/10 2:21
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Everyone seems to forget that prepared food stands and food trucks act a lot like business incubators that help foster new businesses. Kraverie started out as the The Krave Truck. The Taco Truck Shop (Hoboken) began as a literal Taco Truck. The low overhead might help "compete" with customers, but it also means a lower risk for experimenting with innovative or new businesses, many of which go on to become local brick and mortar businesses.

Posted on: 2014/10/10 1:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Clifton_Hanger wrote:
Truthfully, the only prepared food spot I've ever purchased from is Legal Beans BBQ b/c their brick and mortar location is further away. Seems like Golden Grill and Legal Beans realize the foot traffic is important and that not everyone walks up Newark Ave, Grove etc and put together a mobile stand in a great area. Works for them...

+1.

I live east, and them being at the PATH station is convenient for me.

Posted on: 2014/10/10 1:08

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/12 16:59
From 2nd St.
Group:
Registered Users
+1 Gypsy Grill >>> Ibby's

I respect Two Boot's owner's right to protect his business and respectfully explain his stance, but I question the judgement to get grouped in with guys like The "Bistro" and Ibby's. I hardly think trying to protect your business is worthy of a boycott though. I'd miss the pizza too much. JC is a great place to live if your polyamorous with pizza.

But, I will say there are some brick and mortars working their butts off to keep their businesses going and gain new customers. Every time I'm at a festival, union republic is there hocking their pork ramen with counter marketing: the holy rosary feast, BBQ fest in Hamilton park. Were they at the Irish festival a couple weekends ago or did I imagine that one?

Posted on: 2014/10/10 1:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
I view these types of 'pop-up' vendors as poachers.

They are a trend at the moment - they come in, milk the consumer base of a particular area under the guise of providing an alternative product or competition then leave.

This leaves 'fixed' businesses on a financial roller coaster that many can not sustain.

I don't mind both existing, however we need to help sustain small 'fixed' businesses if we don't want a continual turn-over of empty stores. I believe on this occasion, segregation is the cure to maintain a fair playing field

Posted on: 2014/10/10 0:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/10 0:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BeatrixKiddo wrote:

You keep bringing up Ibby's like they/he cured cancer, F$CK him and all his homophobic asshole staff.

Besides all that, Ibby's is feeling the pain because Gypsy Grille moved into the area with better, cheaper food and none of the 'tude.

Posted on: 2014/10/10 0:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 23:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TwoBootsJC wrote:
Thanks for the support FatAssBike (and others).

I hope those who have attacked me and my business will stop and think for a moment how they'd feel about the issue if they owned a business and were in my shoes or those of Ibby's, or those of the Little Sandwich Shop. I'd dare say that they'd be "whining" too. Unfairness is unfairness and I'm sorry that some folks can't see that.

I'm going to sign off now because being a human pinata is starting to wear me down. I've got pizza to deliver.

Best to all.
Aaron

You keep bringing up Ibby's like they/he cured cancer, F$CK him and all his homophobic asshole staff.

Posted on: 2014/10/10 0:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
I, too, would like to know the full list of 17 whiners, so I can refrain from patronizing them. That must be part of the public record somewhere. Two Boots has already mentioned some of them, and with the exception of La Conguita, all serve pretty mediocre food. Ibbys was good when I first moved to JC a dozen years ago, but the quality has slipped noticeably over the past five years or so. Aaron, your pizza is OK, but I think your bigger problem is an oversaturation of pizza joints in a very small area. If I want empanadas, that's what I'm gonna get. Forcing them from the market isn't gonna drive me to pick up something else at Two Boots or any other restaurant.

+1.

Listen, I'm also sympathetic to the Two Boots owner. I'd be annoyed too if I spent a lot of money on a venture and lower cost ones were popping up eating at my profits.

But you can't cry like you are the victim and a "human pinata" when you are actively trying to shut down great food options that benefit the community at large. I love the food trucks and extra food choices the Farmers Market provides to us. And I'm resentful of those who want to use the government to take it away from us.

To me, a "human pinata" is one who is passive, and is being unjustly attacked for no reason. But the Two Boots owner started this crusade, so he can't be taken aback at the resulting backlash.

Posted on: 2014/10/10 0:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I view these types of 'pop-up' vendors as poachers.

They are a trend at the moment - they come in, milk the consumer base of a particular area under the guise of providing an alternative product or competition then leave.

This leaves 'fixed' businesses on a financial roller coaster that many can not sustain.

I don't mind both existing, however we need to help sustain small 'fixed' businesses if we don't want a continual turn-over of empty stores. I believe on this occasion, segregation is the cure to maintain a fair playing field

Posted on: 2014/10/10 0:10

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/13 1:49
Group:
Registered Users
Clifton_Hanger, you beat me to it!

Posted on: 2014/10/9 23:24

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/13 1:49
Group:
Registered Users
Based on Two Boots rationale: the farmers market shouldn't exist at all. The farm stands at the farmer's market are direct competition with the fruit veggie markets on Newark like Tendershoot farm and P&K. And I'm not talking empanadas vs pizza, true competition, apples to apples. Why are their restaurants so special that they want an ordinance to block the food vendors but don't seem to care about their neighboring business owners who sell fruits and veggies?
Also, I don't understand why the market has to be for JC vendors only. I frequently buy from Paolo's b/c their food is homemade and good, and they offer me something I can't get at Two Boots or other JC restaurants. Paolo's are also a brick and mortar business (just not in JC) so they pay all the expenses the 17 business owners are complaining the vendors don't. They were just business savvy enough to expand their business to farmers markets all over NJ. That just sounds like good business sense to me.

Posted on: 2014/10/9 23:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/14 17:51
From Chilltown
Group:
Registered Users
couple questions/comments:

How does Tender Shoot Farm on Newark, Lee's on Grove and the other produce/flower stand up by Palace Liquors/Pharmacy feel about organic, farm fresh produce and fruit being sold twice a week down the street?

Truthfully, the only prepared food spot I've ever purchased from is Legal Beans BBQ b/c their brick and mortar location is further away. Seems like Golden Grill and Legal Beans realize the foot traffic is important and that not everyone walks up Newark Ave, Grove etc and put together a mobile stand in a great area. Works for them...

Also, with respect to the Bistro Owner - the dude is local and knew that the market has been there for years...this was not a surprise.

Posted on: 2014/10/9 23:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/9 23:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
user1111 wrote: Quote:
TwoBootsJC wrote: Thanks for the support FatAssBike (and others). I hope those who have attacked me and my business will stop and think for a moment how they'd feel about the issue if they owned a business and were in my shoes or those of Ibby's, or those of the Little Sandwich Shop. I'd dare say that they'd be "whining" too. Unfairness is unfairness and I'm sorry that some folks can't see that. I'm going to sign off now because being a human pinata is starting to wear me down. I've got pizza to deliver. Best to all. Aaron
I will always patronize most places these fools boycotts. Good luck!
+1 I <3 Two Boots

Posted on: 2014/10/9 23:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TwoBootsJC wrote:
Thanks for the support FatAssBike (and others).

I hope those who have attacked me and my business will stop and think for a moment how they'd feel about the issue if they owned a business and were in my shoes or those of Ibby's, or those of the Little Sandwich Shop. I'd dare say that they'd be "whining" too. Unfairness is unfairness and I'm sorry that some folks can't see that.

I'm going to sign off now because being a human pinata is starting to wear me down. I've got pizza to deliver.

Best to all.
Aaron

I am not a fan of your pizza $$$$ and we actually had words due to my review. After reading your post, I will give another shot. As far as being a human pinata, you get use to it here. I have been the human pinata here from day 1. I will always patronize most places these fools boycotts. Good luck!

Posted on: 2014/10/9 22:57

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 13 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017