Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
135 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 135

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »

Re: Jersey City marketing campaign: ‘Make It Yours’
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Such a good shot of the Goldman Sachs building, you can't see the scaffolding surrounding it that's been there forever.

Posted on: 2014/10/12 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
This new building means she will leave JC

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/10/12 15:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The city is in gridlock with cars, the PATH cannot handle more passengers, so what is the point of the commercial? The city has no city sales tax at restaurants, no revenue will be collected from visitors. We need more schools if families come. So what is the end game? A woman with a young child went ballistic at city hall when the city approved a new development with parking for only 50 cars but building for 150 residences. She said it is too dangerous to cross the street now. More people will be looking for parking spaces. This new building means she will leave JC, the density is too much. She has a point.

1. Harsimus Cove is not gridlocked, every so often there is some traffic on Erie Street.

2. You might want to point her to the thread on recommended movers.

Posted on: 2014/10/12 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
The city is in gridlock with cars, the PATH cannot handle more passengers, so what is the point of the commercial? The city has no city sales tax at restaurants, no revenue will be collected from visitors. We need more schools if families come. So what is the end game? A woman with a young child went ballistic at city hall when the city approved a new development with parking for only 50 cars but building for 150 residences. She said it is too dangerous to cross the street now. More people will be looking for parking spaces. This new building means she will leave JC, the density is too much. She has a point.

Posted on: 2014/10/12 15:17

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/8 19:56
Group:
Registered Users
I haven't seen this posted anywhere on this thread. A promotional video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uazk21-BImU

Love or hate the campaign, it's a good video.

Posted on: 2014/10/12 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Full page ad in the Metropolitan section of the Times. This section has limited distribution as I recall from living in the Midwest. I think Fulop is in the center, but it might be Zack Posen.

Posted on: 2014/10/12 11:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

donnajc65 wrote:
Wait a minute, as a life long resident, Jersey City has always been mine. St. Al's has been mine, the Square has been mine, Lincoln Park has been mine and Van Vorst Park has been mine. Steven has lived his entire life in JC in a 5 block radius. Now he is promoting the city like its a candy bar!!

this campaign is probably not aimed at jc residents; but outsiders who are probably looking ar moving to the FAR side of brooklyn or queens.

is it a waste of taxpayer dollars? maybe, but i don't think so. i remember when people were up in arms over taxpayer dollars for GM and the big banks

Posted on: 2014/10/11 23:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/1 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
Bostwick trash, make it yours, Brooke!

Posted on: 2014/10/11 19:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey Mom, right on!! Its like they hired a firm who didn't know the city to promote the city, but that firm had to rely on the Brooke Hansen and the other clueless youngster in the mayors office to teach them about the city. But the only thing they know, is the city that the mayor knows which is Downtown!!

Posted on: 2014/10/11 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Wait a minute, as a life long resident, Jersey City has always been mine. St. Al's has been mine, the Square has been mine, Lincoln Park has been mine and Van Vorst Park has been mine. Steven has lived his entire life in JC in a 5 block radius. Now he is promoting the city like its a candy bar!!

Posted on: 2014/10/11 19:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
i like thefact that jc is taking a more pro-active approach to marketing itself.

Listen, the city is entering into a much more marketing-savvy era - and that's a great thing. It's nice to see that level of sophistication and care going in to a very slick campaign.

However, I really think this particular campaign missed the mark. All the best parts of my life happened in this city - I was married here, had my children here, grew my small business here - but I don't feel like I see myself and others like me that have put their blood, sweat, and tears to support and improve their communities promoted in this ad at all (and that's likely the point, eh?).

It's like JC is looking at itself in one of those store mirrors that makes you look skinnier - or that perfect lighting in a bathroom that erases all the wrinkles.

Everything that makes JC such a unique place - the neighborhoods - the diversity - the wonderful patchwork quilt of nations that makes us great has been obliterated from the ad. Only fabulous, shiny, happy people who really (really) like to drink and eat fabulously are portrayed.

It just doesn't feel like the city I know.

Posted on: 2014/10/11 19:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
subway service can be erratic as well, and nyc subway service on weekends and late nite often wreaks

That's true but the PA already said they were going to have to close the 33rd st line for Sandy repairs after the weekend WTC work is finished. I have a feeling many people would never move here if they knew that. That's what I mean about this marketing campaign possibly being deceptive and bait and switch.

Posted on: 2014/10/11 19:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
1.2 million dollars that Fulop used for his own self promotion.

Posted on: 2014/10/11 18:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
subway service can be erratic as well, and nyc subway service on weekends and late nite often wreaks

Posted on: 2014/10/11 18:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i like thefact that jc is taking a more pro-active approach to marketing itself. i hope this helps increase the # of new residenntts whhich should spur more development and ameniitties. fact is mostt people in nyc are not aware tthat jersey city exists aand this campaign hellps proomote awareness of jc.

if you dont know that jc exists, one would never even think about moving here. the fact is that past mayors have been almost negligent in promoting the city, especially when compared to newark.

Posted on: 2014/10/11 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCSJS wrote:
Couldn't have said it better! Well stated.......

I'll also add that it isn't going to help that the local news media has made significant recent coverage of the weekend PATH interruptions which may, or may not impact perceptions of the target demographic currently living in the boroughs which have constant subway access.

Good, the media should make a big deal about the PATH nonsense. I'd imagine incoming residents would feel pretty cheated if they actually bought into this ad campaign, only to suffer from PATH's unreliability. This way people know what they're getting into.

Posted on: 2014/10/11 17:22

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/23 12:14
Group:
Registered Users
And I should have sent a shout-out to Tommynyc, as that is the person I was referring to in "couldn't have said it better".....

Posted on: 2014/10/11 13:42

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/23 12:14
Group:
Registered Users
Couldn't have said it better! Well stated.......

I'll also add that it isn't going to help that the local news media has made significant recent coverage of the weekend PATH interruptions which may, or may not impact perceptions of the target demographic currently living in the boroughs which have constant subway access.

Posted on: 2014/10/11 13:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/10 23:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
New $1.2M campaign promotes Jersey City

By Summer Dawn Hortillosa | The Jersey Journal
October 08, 2014 at 8:37 PM

If you haven't explored Jersey City yet, a new promotional campaign for the city launching this week urges you to "Make It Yours."

The $1.2 million branding campaign is being coordinated by Harrison Rand Advertising and Creative Civilians, both of Hudson County, and the New York City firm Development Counselors International, who were tasked, in a $950,000 contract, with fulfilling Mayor Steve Fulop's vision of marketing the city as a "premier travel destination" for work and play.

NJ.com readers helped give the campaign some direction, voting on a series of logos and slogans in a contest organized by the Jersey City Economic Development Corp.

Although the city did not go with any of the logos featured in the online poll, the catch phrase of one of them ? "Make it Yours" ? is the mantra of the campaign that features Jersey City residents in local spots like Downtown Jersey City's Lucky 7 Tavern and popular restaurant Taqueria.

The campaign has a total budget estimated at $1.2 million, and plans call for $400,000 to be spent in October, The New York Times reports.

The campaign includes print, digital, streaming and traditional radio, outdoor and transit ads as well as a presence in social media with a hashtag, #JCMakeItYours, NYT reports. They also say that the primary target markets are Brooklyn, Manhattan and Bergen County.

The ad campaign reflects the diversity of the city, and everyone featured in the campaign is a Jersey City resident.

The ad campaign aims to help the city's growing real estate market, which is also getting a boost from the burgeoning arts and culture scene.

"(We selected) firms who produced a campaign that will attract investment into every ward in the city," city spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill told The Jersey Journal in June. "The goal is to position the city in a way that we can see investment beyond the waterfront. ... We are excited for the future of Jersey City."

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... mpaign_promotes_jers.html

Posted on: 2014/10/9 6:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
paulushooker wrote:

I don't think the goal of the campaign is to just sell condos and have everyone move here en masse. I think, it's to make Jersey City a blip on the radar, especially for New Yorkers.

Ask anyone in the boroughs if they know where Jersey City is and most won't have a clue. I should know because I was one of them. NYers have a huge mental block when it comes to Jersey. Once you reach the west side of Manhattan or the lower harbor, everything west is just a blur called Jersey.

I've lived here for 24 years and want to see this town come into its own. I want to see Jersey City promoted for something other than a bedroom community. There was a time when Brooklyn was considered unhip and uncool and part of the bridge and tunnel crowd, now, Brooklyn is more than cool. It is the the destination for food, music, entertainment. What's wrong with wanting that for JC? 

Btw, the money for this campaign came from the EDC via the suspended UEZ program, not taxpayer money.

I agree about making Jersey City a blip on the radar ... the extra hurdle, which Brooklyn did not have to leap, is that Jersey City is in NJ. State lines are weird mental roadblocks to a lot of people (on both sides of the river). Personally, having grown up in both NY and NJ and having most of my family in NY, I've always thought of the area more as a region, instead of two separate entities. But many people do not. But I disagree about most people in the boroughs and their perception of Jersey City. JC's perception is WAY more positive than when I moved here 8.5 years ago. I find that not only does almost everybody know Jersey City and its whereabouts, many if not most educated people seem to be aware that it has been in an ongoing renaissance, and is in fact a pretty decent place to live. You do of course get some people (mostly older, I'd say?) who blanket it as "Oh, over there in Jersey". Which is basically like saying to somebody who lives in Brooklyn or Queens "Oh, over there in Long Island". It's technically true, but obviously Brooklyn and Queens are more tied to the city than to suburban Long Island. The same can be said for Jersey City. IT's a part of NJ, but has way more in common with the city than suburban NJ. Of course it's named Jersey City, so there's that perception challenge!

Posted on: 2014/10/8 22:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/27 23:02
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users

I don't think the goal of the campaign is to just sell condos and have everyone move here en masse. I think, it's to make Jersey City a blip on the radar, especially for New Yorkers.

Ask anyone in the boroughs if they know where Jersey City is and most won't have a clue. I should know because I was one of them. NYers have a huge mental block when it comes to Jersey. Once you reach the west side of Manhattan or the lower harbor, everything west is just a blur called Jersey.

I've lived here for 24 years and want to see this town come into its own. I want to see Jersey City promoted for something other than a bedroom community. There was a time when Brooklyn was considered unhip and uncool and part of the bridge and tunnel crowd, now, Brooklyn is more than cool. It is the the destination for food, music, entertainment. What's wrong with wanting that for JC? 

Btw, the money for this campaign came from the EDC via the suspended UEZ program, not taxpayer money.

Posted on: 2014/10/8 21:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Can someone explain to me why the Mayor is obsessed with drastically increasing density, mostly in luxury apts with large tax abatements? Its annoying as hell, considering he's doing nothing to grow/improve infrastructure.

What a disappointment his term is thus far. Its all about HIM and his ego/career moves. Its all feeling like a big PR stunt.

well said. Well, except for the disappointment part. I'm not there yet.

Posted on: 2014/10/8 19:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Can someone explain to me why the Mayor is obsessed with drastically increasing density, mostly in luxury apts with large tax abatements? Its annoying as hell, considering he's doing nothing to grow/improve infrastructure.

What a disappointment his term is thus far. Its all about HIM and his ego/career moves. Its all feeling like a big PR stunt.

Posted on: 2014/10/8 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Jersey City/Steve Fulop need to stop touting JC as the "future largest city in NJ....soon to surpass Newark in population". That's nothing to brag about in any way; frankly what does that even mean? It would possibly mean something if Newark was in any way notable ... but Newark is only noteworthy for its crime and general nothingness/decay.

Positioning Jersey City as a key part of the growth of the inner-urban NYC core is the best message that can be delivered about Jersey City.

Agree completely, Tommy. Plus the fact that at ~ 250,000 people, you aren't really talking about a "big city". It lacks relevance. Most states (31, to be precise) have cities larger than Newark - including Alaska (Anchorage, which has a few people more than 300,000.)

Posted on: 2014/10/8 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City/Steve Fulop need to stop touting JC as the "future largest city in NJ....soon to surpass Newark in population". That's nothing to brag about in any way; frankly what does that even mean? It would possibly mean something if Newark was in any way notable ... but Newark is only noteworthy for its crime and general nothingness/decay.

Positioning Jersey City as a key part of the growth of the inner-urban NYC core is the best message that can be delivered about Jersey City.

Posted on: 2014/10/8 19:06

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/8 21:30
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I think this campaign is a pretty big waste.

As a "young" person who recently moved to Jersey City, it was because I was spending more time here because there are attractions here (the many parks, restaurants, shops, WFMU, volunteer groups like JC Ties, other cultural events, etc). Not because I saw an ad that said "Why not move here?"

With that, if you really want to build up your city like this campaign is supposed to, I think the money would be much better spent going back into the city (anything from improving our public transportation, to helping local businesses). I love it here, and think there's a lot of great potential, but one thing I've noticed/have discussed with others is that while there's been an influx of great places to eat and drink, there's not a lot "to do." For example, I'd love it if we put the money into a music/performance venue (a mid-sized one - who knows what will happen with the Loewe's, and there's already a few tiny spots, but that's something that's noticeably missing). Or possibly try to bring in a sports team (maybe not a major, but I think a minor league team would be popular). Or just have more events, beyond just what we see in the summer.

Otherwise, this just sort of feels like a bait and switch. Spending a ton of money to try and convince people to move here from Brooklyn/outer boroughs of NYC (read as: "a lot of hipsters who have their parents pay their rent anyway") because it's "cheaper," with the dreams of "We can be bigger than NEWARK!" When meanwhile there's talks of bringing in a xanadu style casino, that's going to push taxes/rents up (and honestly, since I've moved here, we're not paying THAT much less than we would be if we were in New York City.)

I guess my point is I'd like to see Jersey City stop being promoted as "the potential sixth borough." We're much better than that.

Posted on: 2014/10/8 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
A tent city under the cliff below Christ Hospitals? "Make it Yurts?"

Posted on: 2014/10/8 2:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Celebrate the presence of tropical diseases amongst our diverse population: Jersey City, Make it Yaws

Posted on: 2014/10/8 1:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I see a lot of potential in this campaign...

Hmmm - I see where you're going with this. How about...

"Second chances - make them yours."

Posted on: 2014/10/8 1:05

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017