Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
60 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 60

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Jersey City teachers union seeks 19% pay hike over 3 years, sources say
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Did you also notice the poverty rate is also at 30%? Many of these children only eat at school. Have access to the internet at school. Access to other educational needs at school.

Did you notice that our neighbors to the North have MORE children living in poverty, and yet manage to graduate many more of them?

Jersey City: 30.2% in poverty, 67.5% graduation rate
West New York: 34.5% in poverty, 78.4% graduation rate
Union City: 36.5% in poverty, 79.2% graduation rate

The problem with facts is that they can't be easily dismissed... Face it. We have a corruption and/or mismanagement issue in JC.

Let me ask this question. Why are they dropping out? Are they flunking out at 21? Are they leaving to pursue other options?(Some of which do not always require a HS diploma or they would rather just get a GED)

Also on the other hand how do we not know other poorer districts are just pushing students through? Other more affluent districts have been known to make their "advanced" students have better grades then they have earned so they can apply for top universities to bring accolades to that district. Many of these numbers that are provided have no real context.

As someone else already stated, you are now changing goal posts. First, you questioned the graduation rate stat. Once evidence of it is quoted, you throw out poverty as the reason. When poorer towns with much better graduation rates are highlighted, you change the reasoning to kids dropping out voluntarily and questioning all of the stats.

Why not simply admit (and, then, try to address) the issue of corruption and mismanagement?? There is just NO WAY that we have to spend SO MUCH money per pupil. JC now spends the equivalent of college tuition per student. We should stop the madness. Especially before things change (and, I have no doubt they will at some point) and the courts get rid of Abbott or heavily rework it.

Posted on: 2014/10/5 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
2012-2013 Newark improved graduation rates from 61% to 67% compared to JC's 69% to 67%. Newark was helped by an injection of private capital - the $100m pledge from Zuckerberg.

And what happens? It becomes the central issue for the Newark mayoral race. A lot of the progress in Newark under Cami Anderson is likely to be pretty much undone by the local politicking - orchestrated by the NJEA.

As much as I dislike big gov - can't help thinking it's worth putting this whole sh%t-show into federal hands - at least for inner cities.

Posted on: 2014/10/4 22:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Hahahah, like this is a citation of any value.

Posted on: 2014/10/4 22:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
I think many people don't realize, but several decades ago a huge 12 year liberal experiment was done in Kansas City, by a judge appointed by Carter. What happens if you give an underperforming school district unlimited money?

Like JC, the Kansas City school system was pretty dilapidated and underperforming. So, like JC, a liberal federal judge forced the rest of the state to pick up the tab. He also proclaimed that money was no object, and we have to do what is necessary for the children. Teachers got 40% raises, and total spending by the district tripled, from $125 million to over $400 million. State of the art facilities were abundant. A massive desegregation plan was undertaken.

And guess what? It was an absolute disaster. Corruption and waste became rampant but performance did not improve. Merit pay proposals for teachers were rejected. Black principals were promoted solely because of their race. But the dropout rate rose to 71%. Black students were scoring no higher on standardized tests as seniors than they did as freshman. The madness finally ended with the Supreme Court forced the liberal judge to hand control of the system back to local authorities, and to end the spending spree.

Quote:
At one time the Kansas City experiment was going to be a progressive light unto the educational nation. Instead, it became the most expensive desegregation plan in the nation and, in terms of achievement-bang-for-the-educational-buck, the biggest failure, too. Kansas City did all the things that educators had always said needed to be done to increase student achievement--it reduced class size, decreased teacher workload, increased teacher pay, and dramatically expanded spending per pupil--but none of it worked.

No one was more disappointed than former school board president Sue Fulson. "I truly believed," she told the Harvard Project on School Desegregation in 1992, "if we gave teachers and administrators everything they said they needed that they would truly make a huge difference. I knew it would take time, but I did believe by five years into this program we would see not just results, but dramatic results, educationally. And [the fact we didn't] is my bitterest disappointment."

http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa-298.html

Posted on: 2014/10/4 21:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Lets hope we don't implode like Philly has with their education budgets !

http://educationnext.org/philadelphia ... ongoing-financial-crisis/

Posted on: 2014/10/4 21:14
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcdd wrote:
jcman8 - I have no connection to teachers whatsoever. However, I do have a child that I believe deserves to have an education at least as good as the public school education I received (in another state). We need to stop talking about how bad the parents are, how bad the kids are and start truly focusing on how to improve our schools. Jersey City will never grow to its full potential or have qualify of life issues improve, if this City does not work to retain middle/upper class families. The only way this is going to happen is to improve the public schools. Having decent private schools is not enough because middle class folks can simply move to the burbs and have access to better schools at a much cheaper cost of living. If you own a home in JC, then schools should be of a concern to you if you truly want to see your home value continue to appreciate.

How much more are you willing to pay in local JC taxes to pay for the improvements you have in mind? You certainly can't expect any more state money, since JC residents at present only pay 16% of the school costs.

Somehow I think if JC taxpayers had more skin in the game they'd be more, say, inquisitive, of waste and corruption. Since it's not their money for the most part that's being wasted it's not much of a concern.

Posted on: 2014/10/4 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
jcman8 - I have no connection to teachers whatsoever. However, I do have a child that I believe deserves to have an education at least as good as the public school education I received (in another state). We need to stop talking about how bad the parents are, how bad the kids are and start truly focusing on how to improve our schools. Jersey City will never grow to its full potential or have qualify of life issues improve, if this City does not work to retain middle/upper class families. The only way this is going to happen is to improve the public schools. Having decent private schools is not enough because middle class folks can simply move to the burbs and have access to better schools at a much cheaper cost of living. If you own a home in JC, then schools should be of a concern to you if you truly want to see your home value continue to appreciate.

Posted on: 2014/10/4 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I am sure we have corruption and mismanagement in the City. But don't you think that those on the receiving end of the corruption (those getting the high priced contracts as political favors, etc) are not residents of this City? Those wealthy folks that are taking advantage of inner city politics are not living in JC. My point being that the burbs benefit from JC corruption more than the tax paying residents of Jersey City. In fact, perhaps WE are subsidizing them in this regard. Let's pass a law that only JC residents can be employees of this city and can obtain any type of contract or solicitation (without showing extenuating circumstances that the service doesn't exist here).

Posted on: 2014/10/4 19:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Did you also notice the poverty rate is also at 30%? Many of these children only eat at school. Have access to the internet at school. Access to other educational needs at school.

Did you notice that our neighbors to the North have MORE children living in poverty, and yet manage to graduate many more of them?

The problem with facts is that they can't be easily dismissed... Face it. We have a corruption and/or mismanagement issue in JC.

Let me ask this question. Why are they dropping out? Are they flunking out at 21? Are they leaving to pursue other options?(Some of which do not always require a HS diploma or they would rather just get a GED)

Also on the other hand how do we not know other poorer districts are just pushing students through? Other more affluent districts have been known to make their "advanced" students have better grades then they have earned so they can apply for top universities to bring accolades to that district. Many of these numbers that are provided have no real context.

You keep shifting the goalposts. You wanted proof of the 66% graduation rate. You got it, yet somehow I feel you will never be satisfied.

I have a feeling many people defending the teachers here simply are teachers themselves, or have connections to one (married, work in education, etc). As others have said, the corruption and waste in JC's massive education budget translating to abysmal results is pretty obvious.

But as Upton Sinclair said, it is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.

Posted on: 2014/10/4 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

trambone wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/4 17:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trambone wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/4 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trambone wrote:

What I am trying to get at is that our education system is not perfect, but you cannot fault just teachers for the poor graduation rate.

I would love to see you perform well at your job while eating what a person at the poverty level does for 8 months straight. These are children that are already behind the eight ball.

I'm sure some are underfed, but can you share information that 'many' only eat at school? Don't the truly poor get food stamps??

Posted on: 2014/10/4 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
As much as people like to bash Monroe for his oft repeated stats, the fact remains that JC has a 2/3 graduation rate, and the per-pupil costs are way higher. I am sure that if JC residents were forced to pay their "full" school tax, everyone would be up in arms. As it is, LOTS of people here love to bitch and moan about their "high" taxes. Imagine if your school taxes were to go up 4 or 5 times...

In any case, I think it would be GOOD if the school taxes were raised to the appropriate levels that cover actual spending. The outrage from the citizenship would lead to real reform and improvements. Guaranteed.

Also, before people keep repeating the "JC has high poverty and that accounts for some of the higher costs", how do you explain that West New York has a higher percentage of kids living in poverty, yet a graduation rate that is 15% better? Or, Union City which has 20% more kids living in poverty, yet graduates 20% more kids, when compared to JC. Simply put, the politics of this city, and the BOE, are rotten to the core. I wish people would direct their ire and outrage at the proper people.

Posted on: 2014/10/4 17:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

What I am trying to get at is that our education system is not perfect, but you cannot fault just teachers for the poor graduation rate.

I would love to see you perform well at your job while eating what a person at the poverty level does for 8 months straight. These are children that are already behind the eight ball.

Posted on: 2014/10/4 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

And here's the link to the financial information, which among other things shows the percentage of each city education budget and who pays for it by local taxes, state taxes, and federal taxes.

http://www.state.nj.us/education/guide/2013/

Posted on: 2014/10/4 17:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/4 16:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Wait where did you pull this 2/3 graduation rate number?

Posted on: 2014/10/4 16:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Dodge, dodge, dodge. It is quite clear that ianmac is a NY Brooklyn hipster troll-he wants NJ taxpayers to cover bi-state infrastructure that also benefits NY, and wants a say in how NJ compensates their teachers, while not paying NJ taxes.

It must be killing him how fast charter schools will soon replace the NY public school system, at least if the parents have a say in it.

Strong words for an anonymous coward.

A coward who is paying more in NJ real estate taxes to support NJ students than you pay in your rent stabilized Williamsburg apartment?

Yup, a coward with skin in the game you lack. That's me! :)

And Monroe - you are a JC cop who lives in the suburbs with a political ax to grind and who clearly has too much time on his hands, given the amount of time that you post at all hours of the day. As a cop, you are protected by a very strong union who doesn't allow for the weeding out of the bad apples (like the guys who are spending half their day on JC List....)

I'm not a cop, or a public employee of any kind. As far as my comments about JC Abbott schools, I feel that since I support them I'm entitled to be critical when half a billion dollars a year of public NJ money results in 2/3 graduation rates.

Does anyone here seriously think there ISN'T waste, mismanagement, and graft in JC (and JC schools)?

I'd say anyone that doesn't think so much be on the receiving end of some of that wasted money, and has good reason to defend it.

Posted on: 2014/10/4 10:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Dodge, dodge, dodge. It is quite clear that ianmac is a NY Brooklyn hipster troll-he wants NJ taxpayers to cover bi-state infrastructure that also benefits NY, and wants a say in how NJ compensates their teachers, while not paying NJ taxes.

It must be killing him how fast charter schools will soon replace the NY public school system, at least if the parents have a say in it.

Strong words for an anonymous coward.

A coward who is paying more in NJ real estate taxes to support NJ students than you pay in your rent stabilized Williamsburg apartment?

And Monroe - you are a JC cop who lives in the suburbs with a political ax to grind and who clearly has too much time on his hands, given the amount of time that you post at all hours of the day. As a cop, you are protected by a very strong union who doesn't allow for the weeding out of the bad apples (like the guys who are spending half their day on JC List....)

Posted on: 2014/10/4 2:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Monroe, we have all heard your shtick about the funding of JC schools before. Frankly, you are starting to sound like a broken record. We all know it is extraordinarily more expensive to fund education in city environments for numerous reasons: the cost of infrastructure is much more expensive that rural/suburban areas, more non native students requiring special English programs, more students with disabilities, and obviously dealing with poverty issues. For all the money that is spent, city students are still dealing with sub-standard education as compared to the suburbs. The schools are overcrowded and the old buildings are crumbling and frankly, an environmental hazard to the kids. As we speak, lead contamination in the water remains a huge problem for a decade, with no relief in sight. Kids in JC certainly aren't being educated in the lap of luxury. May I also suggest that the suburbs are certainly feeding from the trough of taxpayer money, as most of the teachers and administrators probably live there. Regardless of the many complex issues surrounding urban education, I find it very sad that people like you seem to have such thinly veiled contempt for children that may not have grown up in a lifestyle you are accustomed to. Then again, I have found that most people are generally self-interested rather than altruistic. We all know that your interest lies in the amount of your taxes, rather than the well being of the most vulnerable of our society.

Posted on: 2014/10/4 1:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trambone wrote:
an increase in pay won't always draw good teachers either. A district that can guarantee funding for supplies, up to date text books, and keeping classes small will keep teachers invigorated.

If a district can't do that when 2/3 of their budget is paid for by suburban taxpayers than localized corruption must be rampant, no? Half a billion dollars a year is sent to JC from taxpayers outside JC, you do know, right?

Posted on: 2014/10/4 0:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
an increase in pay won't always draw good teachers either. A district that can guarantee funding for supplies, up to date text books, and keeping classes small will keep teachers invigorated.

Posted on: 2014/10/3 22:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
So you don?t see any flaw in the logic or comparison?? One job search engine. One necessary factor, listing of salary. Is it possible that there are many entry level postings while there are few mid-tier postings?

It was an entry-level vs entry level comparison. So nope. If anything the Job Search returned a slightly higher salary result bias. Plus I happen to know what entry-level grads make in some of those professions in the industry I work in - and they're in the right ballpark.

The grads that step straight into a $150k/year job are the ivy-league direct intakes/ex-interns - and perhaps those don't get advertised. But none would work in JC.

Posted on: 2014/10/3 21:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Pebble, if you've read my comments, I believe the overall large issue in JC is the parents and the kids, and not the teachers. And it's something that, sadly, is fully upon the family at home to address. No amount of tax money sent to JC will force parents to make sure their kids do their homework, or get to bed in order to get a good nights sleep.

But, and it's a big but, there still are going to be teachers who mail it in, teachers who've just given up, teachers that lack the motivation to change the world they had when young, and teachers who lack the skills (and the desire to learn them) we need in 2014 and beyond.

And until the perfect storm of Governor Christie and Senate President Sweeney came together to hold the NJEA's collective feet over the fire for common sense reforms, the NJEA just dug in and fought it. F o r d e c a d e s.

And to Christie and Sweeney's credit, they decided that the perfect is the enemy of the good, and both compromised with the NJEA over reforms. Say what you want about Christie, but his willingness to do exactly that is what has made sensible, progressive reforms in areas like tenure and municipal tax caps. (Which Cuomo mirrored re:tax caps).

Yes, my kids and I went through the best school system in NJ, with affluent, involved parents. We also pay the highest real estate taxes in the state to drive the excellent schools, because unlike JC, whose residents pay 16% of their school costs, Millburn pays 86%. (Note to ianmac, I own in Millburn/Short Hills and rent in JC).

In short, NJ has many great teachers who deserve to be paid more-and inner city teachers perhaps should get 'combat pay' across the board for the merely fair, good, and excellent.

We also shouldn't have to carry teachers that have proven they lack the ability to teach effectively (given that they should have a chance to reform and improve when identified).

The method of evaluation is complex, but doable. The cost of not eliminating lousy teachers is immense for our kids.

Posted on: 2014/10/3 19:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
@Pebble - for new hires, looking at graduate job postings gives a pretty reasonable estimate of prevailing market rates. If the question is how do we attract the best and brightest - that's the first comparison we need to look at.

For teacher with x years service it becomes more problematic to compare to the private sector. In the private sector - you pretty much stay at the same salary unless you start adding increased value. You rarely get length of service increases, nor direct increases for adding to your qualifications. In the teaching profession you could be adding exactly the same value whether you're paid $50k or $100k, masters degree or not.

Until we figure a way of rewarding teachers for performance, the only real way we can compare teachers - is to compare with other public sector employees - in different professions - or in different countries. On broad averages, teachers are probably underpaid relative to other countries - I think I saw a number of 20-30% in one OECD/PISA survey. And personally I'd be more than happy to support that kind of increase if it took the US back to the top of the education league globally. At the moment, we're falling and continuing to fall. I'm not sure I'd want to unconditionally reward all current teachers for getting us to where we are at now.

So you don?t see any flaw in the logic or comparison?? One job search engine. One necessary factor, listing of salary. Is it possible that there are many entry level postings while there are few mid-tier postings?

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Let's take the low average, and say 5% of the over 100,000 teachers shouldn't be teaching.

That's over 5,000 teachers educating over 100,000 kids.

100,000 kids being shortchanged because of those who want to defend the status quo at all costs.

Because it's not about the children to them, it's about keeping lousy teachers in their jobs.

Which is disgusting.

Honest question? Do you really believe that these teachers are bad? Do you think every single student that fails out/drops out/drugs out in school is due to bad teachers?

How involved were your parents in your education? Do you think that the parents of these failures are as involved?

Another way to look at it? How much of a chance at life do you believe Lawrence Campbell?s kids have in life? If those kids fail out of school, do you truly believe it would be the fault of the teachers that they had since preschool or could it possibly have to do with something else? Heck, let?s take those kids out and put them in the best schools but leave them living in the environment they are in. Do you think they have a better chance, the same, or worse?

Contrary to what you like to argue, the NJEA is not opposed to accountability and terminating bad teachers. I also think the NRA is not opposed to removing guns from the hands of criminals. In many ways the two groups are exceptionally similar.

Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
The trouble with linking teacher salaries with performance is there is no good way to measure it.

There is exactly the same issue in the private sector, if your job doesn't directly contribute to corporate revenue eg: sales staff.

Other staff are simply ranked within their grade and compensated, based on feedback from a collection of sources - managers, peers, etc. And the ranking is typically as simply as - outstanding, ok, could do better.

Can't be that hard to put something similar - that's also reasonably fair and transparent - into the JCPS system.

I?d imagine, given much of the issues I?ve seen with it, that it would be exceptionally difficult to quantify something like this. Even in the corporate world, where performance is judged on this basis, you hear a lot of cries about fairness. It isn?t even as simple as having a principal make the decision as they can?t be in every classroom for every minute.

Posted on: 2014/10/3 19:04
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Also, Monroe, I assume you've resorted to personal attacks since you realize your own arguments and logic don't hold water. It must be tough to hold such fervent views, realize you're wrong, and then have no other avenue to express it other than attack people personally.

Says the guy who called me an 'ignorant slut' in a previous thread?

What have I said that is untrue about you? Is being called a hipster troll from Williamsburg incorrect? You opine on NJ and JC constantly, but don't live or pay taxes here.

Time to put down your warm PBR, pull your knit cap down low, don a lumberjack shirt, and go have a handrolled Drum smoke and re-assess methinks!

Hmmm... failing to recognize a major pop culture reference? Do you even live in the United States?

How would anyone know who you are, since you say all these things hidden beyond an anonymous username.

Because some here do know me personally. You're just not one of them, and likely won't be, since you live in New York State!

Posted on: 2014/10/3 17:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Also, Monroe, I assume you've resorted to personal attacks since you realize your own arguments and logic don't hold water. It must be tough to hold such fervent views, realize you're wrong, and then have no other avenue to express it other than attack people personally.

What have I said that is untrue about you? Is being called a hipster troll from Williamsburg incorrect? You opine on NJ and JC constantly, but don't live or pay taxes here.

Time to put down your warm PBR, pull your knit cap down low, don a lumberjack shirt, and go have a handrolled Drum smoke and re-assess methinks!

Hmmm... failing to recognize a major pop culture reference? Do you even live in the United States?

How would anyone know who you are, since you say all these things hidden beyond an anonymous username.

Posted on: 2014/10/3 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/3 16:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/3 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

How would anyone know? I bet you live in Ohio.

Posted on: 2014/10/3 16:35

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017