Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
150 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 150

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Moving to The Heights - Pershing Field area
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/2 2:11
Group:
Registered Users

We moved to the Heights (West of Pershing Field) almost 10 years ago. We have managed without a car so I can't offer any advice on parking. But just want to mention that we have found this area much better than a lot of other areas in a similar price range. In addition to the track and baseball field, Pershing Field has a year-round, indoor pool and some adult exercise classes. Heights Hope is a very good neighborhood association that meets the 3rd Thursday of the month (http://www.centralavesid.org/community-block.shtml). There is also a Police Captain's meeting on the 3rd Wednesday of the month (at public school on Laidlow and Collard).
The area is fairly safe. Of course, as in any area, keep your eyes open if you are out late. Much of the Heights also has more of a neighborhood feel (1 and 2 family home, private owners) and is less congested than other areas of JC (which we like). Plus you have local shopping options (Shop & Stop has decent prices and selection) -- although it would be nice to see a wider selection of stores on Central Ave.
You are about 1 mile from the PATH (we bike), and there are jitneys on Kennedy Ave that go to Journal Square or Port Authority.
Hope you enjoy the area.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 15:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/3/27 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
As far on thoughts on the area in general be sure to check out the reservoir (next to Pershing Field).

www.jcreservoir.org/

Wow, just looked at the website for 1st time in a while and it looks like the reservoir is in for some big changes!

Posted on: 2014/10/7 14:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/26 1:19
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the advice, all. We're moving forward with buying this parking-less place because it really is beautiful and pretty affordable. But we also found a place renting a parking spot just a block away.

Crossing fingers that this works out.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 1:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I used to live in that area and I advise you to look with something with parking.

Yes!

If you have a season with a lot of snowfall, you're screwed in the Heights if you park on the street (our first house in the Heights had no parking). And, you're always moving your car for street cleaning (when it's not snowing) which is a royal pain. If you're taking the plunge to buy, buy smart and don't settle for parking on the street.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2014/9/30 0:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
I used to live in that area and I advise you to look with something with parking. Had car broken in to, and hit by a snow removal truck too.

Posted on: 2014/9/29 22:02
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Summit turns from beautiful to so-so really fast in that direction. Still, some of the nicest homes in JC (IMO) are across and just north of Pershing Field on Summit. I'm a sucker for the wrap-around porch and room for an Adirondack chair.

Parking is not great on Summit. The road is so narrow, I'd completely avoid parking on that street and trying to get a baby out of the car unless you're always curbside. Turn your sideview mirrors in if you do park.

You're better off finding a spot on one of the side streets. Learn the flow of the one-way streets and make a loop until you find something. On the other end of your side street (on the Central side) you'll find meter parking, which is normally empty or rotating quickly during the day. Meters on side streets normally go until 6pm, so if you're coming home and completely stuck, park in one of those spots, throw a quarter in the machine, and you're good until the next morning.

There's no parking permits this side of Central, so you'll find it a bit more congested than between Palisades & Central.

There are very few lots for cars on Summit. Instead, keep an eye out for neighbors who have driveways that you may be able to rent. There are a ton of driveways up here. The prior owners of our place said they'd rented a spot from a small church lot two houses down from us. That's your best bet for off-street parking.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2014/9/29 11:07

Moving to The Heights - Pershing Field area

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/26 1:19
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Hi there. New here and seeking some advice on a potential move. My husband and I made an offer on a condo in the Heights - on Summit Ave just a couple of blocks north of Pershing Field. The condo does not come with parking. Our current place in the Van Vorst Park area doesn't have parking either, and we've been fine, but we've recently added a baby into the mix.

So, is street parking in this area manageable? If not, any leads on places that rent spaces on a monthly basis? I googled and didn't find any garages.

Also, thoughts on the area in general?

Thanks in advance.
KPA

Posted on: 2014/9/29 8:36

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact