Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Proposed development on Van Vorst between Sussex & Morris

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/6 1:21
From PH
Group:
Registered Users
Well, another developer screws the community. What was promised as a protected recreational area at the end of Sussex St. is now being called for the new tenants. ?The Sussex Street dog run.? So much for community give backs for changing the zoning regulations. That?s what they think of the community...dogs. Thanks HPHA for selling out your neighborhood!

Posted on: 2017/11/15 0:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcman420 wrote:
So it looks like this development is near completion and has been branded as "The Lenox."

http://lenoxnj.com/

My question is, where is the proposed "pathway" that was promised by the developer connecting Paulus Hook to Liberty Harbor? Perhaps I'm missing it, but it was my understanding that this pathway was supposed to be situated on the southern border of the development along the lightrail track.

I do not see any signs of such a pathway being built and there has been no space left for it between the development and the rail tracks for it to go.

Anyone have any information on this?

I believe that will be built and opened on completion of the second phase, which is supposed to be later this winter: https://jerseydigs.com/fields-begins-c ... -ii-207-van-vorst-street/

Posted on: 2017/9/24 20:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/28 15:24
Group:
Registered Users
So it looks like this development is near completion and has been branded as "The Lenox."

http://lenoxnj.com/

My question is, where is the proposed "pathway" that was promised by the developer connecting Paulus Hook to Liberty Harbor? Perhaps I'm missing it, but it was my understanding that this pathway was supposed to be situated on the southern border of the development along the lightrail track.

I do not see any signs of such a pathway being built and there has been no space left for it between the development and the rail tracks for it to go.

Anyone have any information on this?

Posted on: 2017/9/24 19:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/20 12:03
From Paulus hook
Group:
Registered Users
I too am appalled that the rules for construction in Paulus Hook were disregarded. When we moved here we were stopped by the HPHA for replacing windows they deemed historically inaccurate. We could not afford the ones they would accept and so could not replace faulty windows. What might be the reason members would ignored the rules regarding plans for a large development on Van Vorst? Who is making money off this? Idealistic Designers? Dedicated Architects? People who should be dedicated to our community.

Posted on: 2014/10/20 12:03

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/20 16:05
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
If you review the quote on this topic. It is somewhere on this thread. Perhaps the person who provided this contrary information should explain himself or herself on how he was so sure about the statement he made. He was trying to counter the allegation that even the senior planner had approved the amendments and so did the HPHA. Was this the reason the ward E council woman who voted against the issue took most of those who spoke out by surprise ?.
Anyway it is a done deal, so let us leave it at that. The end result is not so important, its about the means to the end that is important to avoid any stain of cronyism or nepotism we have experienced in the past.

Posted on: 2014/10/12 16:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/12 21:59
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Goldjason wrote:

After hearing details of the meeting courtesy of the individual who attended the meeting I cannot be amused at this quote by an earlier quote

" I can't speak to all of the specifics, but HPHA did not bless this one. Whomever told you that is ill informed"

Let the record speak for itself !
Amen !

"

I'm not sure where you got your information, but it's not right.

I used to live in Paulus Hook, and served on the board of the HPHA, and I spoke to a current board member and confirmed that they did, indeed, endorse this.

Posted on: 2014/10/12 15:33

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/20 16:05
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

After hearing details of the meeting courtesy of the individual who attended the meeting I cannot be amused at this quote by an earlier quote

" I can't speak to all of the specifics, but HPHA did not bless this one. Whomever told you that is ill informed"

Let the record speak for itself !
Amen !

"

Posted on: 2014/10/11 18:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... or_15-story_building.html

Well, for good or bad looks like this is going ahead.

I appreciate that these are two vacant and ugly lots, but if everyone else who lives in the neighborhood has to abide by the zoning restrictions in Paulus Hook, it only seems fair that the original seven storey limit should have been adhered to by the developer.

If the city council can ahem, "be convinced" to approve such development in Paulus Hook, then they can be ahem, "talked into" doing the same in the historic district around Hamilton Park.

It's troubling for those of us who bought our places based on the presumption that the streetscape and amount of light in the vicinity would be protected.

Posted on: 2014/10/10 18:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:

Not only are you an upstanding member of society, but you must use a great paper towel. What brand of paper towel do you use that can absorb the diarrhea? Or do you use Sham-Wow?

Okay fine, from your handle it s obvious you are used to living in a dirty third world environment. Have a nice day.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Maybe some pups have diarrhea. It is difficult to scoop up.

Oh so that makes it better? I have a dog but I'm also a decent upstanding member of society. I put a paper towel in my pocket, so if my dog has a loose stool I can at least wipe it up better.

Not only are you an upstanding member of society, but you must use a great paper towel. What brand of paper towel do you use that can absorb the diarrhea? Or do you use Sham-Wow?

Posted on: 2014/9/30 14:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:

Oh so that makes it better? I have a dog but I'm also a decent upstanding member of society. I put a paper towel in my pocket, so if my dog has a loose stool I can at least wipe it up better.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 5:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Anyway, what is also bad is the amateur poop pick up habits. I see lots of crap smeared into the sidewalk everywhere =(

Posted on: 2014/9/30 0:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/26 14:00
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Great, now dog poo. Lord knows how that will impact the sewers, overstressed parks, the PATH, people having to look at 15 story buildings, and historic parking lots and abandoned buildings.

If this lot isn't turned into an organic kale and stroller and used record store that doesn't accept credit card, it is only time before Jersey City turns into some mangled brew of Asia, Hoboken, and Union City.

Bros will eating from nightmarkets, consuming major brand beer, while their large dogs poop everywhere. Abandoned parking lots will become naked sushi restaurants, covered by 15 story buildings. At this point, Van Vorst is turned into a Chipotle and Hamilton Park is a parking garage.

Governor Fulop will allow this. The PATH will be packed, as more people come to Jersey City as every organic store has turned into a bar open until 6AM. And now, 15 story buildings have 7 stories of bars and the 8th floor has a Republican and the 9th has someone who wants to open a Fridays.

The entire historic district will be demolished, and will be redeveloped by Mr. Burns and Donald Trump. Every building must be 25 stories and if you don't own a car you will be castrated.

It's only time guys. I would move to Brooklyn now!!! Hurry!!!

Well played.

Posted on: 2014/9/29 22:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Great, now dog poo. Lord knows how that will impact the sewers, overstressed parks, the PATH, people having to look at 15 story buildings, and historic parking lots and abandoned buildings.

If this lot isn't turned into an organic kale and stroller and used record store that doesn't accept credit card, it is only time before Jersey City turns into some mangled brew of Asia, Hoboken, and Union City.

Bros will eating from nightmarkets, consuming major brand beer, while their large dogs poop everywhere. Abandoned parking lots will become naked sushi restaurants, covered by 15 story buildings. At this point, Van Vorst is turned into a Chipotle and Hamilton Park is a parking garage.

Governor Fulop will allow this. The PATH will be packed, as more people come to Jersey City as every organic store has turned into a bar open until 6AM. And now, 15 story buildings have 7 stories of bars and the 8th floor has a Republican and the 9th has someone who wants to open a Fridays.

The entire historic district will be demolished, and will be redeveloped by Mr. Burns and Donald Trump. Every building must be 25 stories and if you don't own a car you will be castrated.

It's only time guys. I would move to Brooklyn now!!! Hurry!!!

Posted on: 2014/9/29 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Maise wrote:

I walk my dog daily throughout Paulus Hook (often on the stretch of Van Vorst you refer to) and rarely see dog poop left on the sidewalk. On rare occasions I will find some, but when you consider how many dogs are in the area you realize that the vast majority of people clean up after their dogs. I can't speak for the rest of DTJC, but I feel like Paulus Hook has a fairly responsible group of dog owners. I know others will disagree, particularly when it comes to the Canal, but that is for another thread.

I do like the poop dna database idea as a way to hopefully get that rare poop sighting down to zero.

I found a nice pile this morning. I will take pictures and PM you with them. Anyway, what is also bad is the amateur poop pick up habits. I see lots of crap smeared into the sidewalk everywhere =(

Posted on: 2014/9/27 23:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/20 18:54
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
These arguments are so ridiculous. More cars? No one in that location needs a car.

LOL, I walk my medium sized dog in that neighborhood every morning and night. There is no street parking on Van Vorst at all, lots of people who live in the Madox park their Audi's on the street (Madox has a nice parking lot btw) as well leave their giant dog shit on the sidewalk. Now you want to unleash at least another 200 units with those kind of people into that area. Oh the humanity!

I walk my dog daily throughout Paulus Hook (often on the stretch of Van Vorst you refer to) and rarely see dog poop left on the sidewalk. On rare occasions I will find some, but when you consider how many dogs are in the area you realize that the vast majority of people clean up after their dogs. I can't speak for the rest of DTJC, but I feel like Paulus Hook has a fairly responsible group of dog owners. I know others will disagree, particularly when it comes to the Canal, but that is for another thread.

I do like the poop dna database idea as a way to hopefully get that rare poop sighting down to zero.

Posted on: 2014/9/27 12:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
These arguments are so ridiculous. More cars? No one in that location needs a car.

LOL, I walk my medium sized dog in that neighborhood every morning and night. There is no street parking on Van Vorst at all, lots of people who live in the Madox park their Audi's on the street (Madox has a nice parking lot btw) as well leave their giant dog shit on the sidewalk. Now you want to unleash at least another 200 units with those kind of people into that area. Oh the humanity!

You know, our first world problems could be addressed with modern technology. If we are serious about taking it to the next level, and becoming "the best mid sized city" perhaps it is high time that the administration start thinking creatively on some solutions. The city could do what other places around the world have started to do: DNA-fingerprint dog poop.

Other cities in the US have used it, as well as cities in Spain and Israel. The implementation could be phased in by requiring new buildings to have their tenants submit poop samples as a requirement of owning and keeping a dog. It could then be expanded to require the same of dog owners when registering their dogs for licenses. In a fairly short amount of time, a dog poop DNA database could be built. The city could implement a positive reinforcement approach (reward those who pick up) or a a punitive approach (fine those who don't pick up). But, not doing anything is NOT a solution.

The truth of the matter is that DTJC (as well as my current neighborhood, BeLa) are overrun with piles of shit everywhere. It's atrocious. There is a particularly bad stretch on Maple St (east of Whiton St) that is atrocious. Whenever I am downtown walking my guy, we will come across at least two or three piles. Yes, I get it. First world problems. But, these little problems have a way of becoming bigger issues, directly and indirectly.

Dog owners outed by poop DNA

Poo prints

Tracking poop offenders

Dog Poop DNA Bank in Tel Aviv

Posted on: 2014/9/27 10:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

Posted on: 2014/9/27 2:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
There are several benefits to development

- Increased tax ratables- more people sharing the burden

- More upper class professionals = more retail and restaurants downtown, not dollar stores and CH Martin

- More voters to effect and vote on ACTUAL problems like Port Authority shennanigans

This isn't about openness. This is about histrionics. Look at what happened with that building in Hamilton Park that was two stories taller than its neighbor. People were CRYING at the meeting.

Crying isn't open debate. This isn't about democratic process, it's about people who think they have the right to tell other people how to handle their property without that legal right.

If the property is within a Historic District then they can dictate what is allowable and what is not. Just building whatever will turn DTJC into an overcrowded mess like parts of Asia or Flushing. F that shit.

Posted on: 2014/9/26 19:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
There are several benefits to development

- Increased tax ratables- more people sharing the burden

- More upper class professionals = more retail and restaurants downtown, not dollar stores and CH Martin

- More voters to effect and vote on ACTUAL problems like Port Authority shennanigans

This isn't about openness. This is about histrionics. Look at what happened with that building in Hamilton Park that was two stories taller than its neighbor. People were CRYING at the meeting.

Crying isn't open debate. This isn't about democratic process, it's about people who think they have the right to tell other people how to handle their property without that legal right.

Posted on: 2014/9/26 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Isn't there a list of things on Candice's page that is exactly what the city is getting for the extra floors? This isn't some great mystery.

Would I rather have 6 floors and no plaza and no public space or 15 floors a plaza and public space? I'd rather have the 15 floors.

10,000 sq feet public pedestrian plaza connecting Paulus Hook and Gulls Cove area

Water main construction and maintenance easements

Green building standards

30% public outdoor recreation space

Intersection safety improvements (Morris & Van Vorst)

Protected recreation area (end of Sussex Street)

$150,000 gift to be used in park in Paulus Hook (4 Corners Park)

Donated (free) construction management for Paulus Hook Park redesign

Maintained public use garbage cans

Posted on: 2014/9/25 23:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Conformist wrote:

More people = more customers = better retail options and more vibrant street life. Also, development is (most of the time, anyway) visually much more appealing than vacant lots and parking lots.

Understand that, but the discussion isn't "15 stories vs. Vacant Lot," it's "15 stories vs. 6 stories." No one wants a vacant lot.

Adding stories on top of the previously planned 6-story building doesn't increase the ground-floor retail by a square foot.

I suppose there's something to the position that "more people= more demand for services= more services provided." But I just don't think that increasing a neighborhoods population at any cost is a sustainable principle.

It's quite simple: The developer had plans to build a residential building within the architectural restrictions of the historic district. The developer saw the wild success of places like Warren at York and realized they could easily double the units in the building and still fill it. Now, the developer (understandably) seeks to be given an exception to the historic district's architectural restrictions so they can make significantly more money.

So, we know what the developer is getting ($$$).

Now, the question is, what is Paulus Hook getting?

And a second question, why does the height limitation in Historic Paulus Hook exist to begin with?

Not trying to get all Socratic here, but I think this is an important discussion.

Posted on: 2014/9/25 23:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
"People won't notice" a 15 story building but if it were a 5 story parking structure then you would all go ape-shit. NIMBY indeed.

Posted on: 2014/9/25 22:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcman420 wrote:

Though, come to think of it, I actually haven't seen you or anyone else mention any of the "pluses." Other than helping the bottom line of the development company, which is certainly quite nice for them. I'd love to hear them.

More people = more customers = better retail options and more vibrant street life. Also, development is (most of the time, anyway) visually much more appealing than vacant lots and parking lots.

Posted on: 2014/9/25 21:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Sunshine is not in your deed.

You seem to think that people are taking the stance that they have some "legal right" to control what type of buildings go up in their neighborhood. Yet I haven't seen anyone take this position. This is a question of personal preference and exerting the pressure of public opinion. You have every right to disagree.

Quote:

Yet they're building a garage underneath the building. It's nice (albeit wholly irrelevant) that you don't believe that anyone in that location "needs a car." I probably agree with you on that, to a certain degree (though who am I to decide the "needs" of others, really?) What matters is whether or not people who live there will have cars. I think they will. Apparently the people who are spending large sums money to build the place also believe that. Since they're building a garage and all.

Quote:

This is a city. You know who else will need more sewers? Whole Foods. Trader Joe's. But the day the real thread comes announcing them, the NIMBY crowd won't be crying "But what of the sewers? Won't someone please think of the sewers?!?!!"

The idea that is part of some shadow conspiracy to bring in development is a joke. The city repeatedly hands over the keys to the neighborhood associations that are filled with NIMBY types that do everything to make everyone else not a granola type miserable.

It is my observation that you enjoy labeling people who hold contrary views from you with silly, insulting (and inaccurate) monikers. You also seem to enjoy inventing imaginary arguments out of whole cloth that no one is making, then arguing against them.

The former habit, unfortunately, appears to be a product of personality, with which you'll probably have to live. The latter, however, can now likely be addressed with medication.

Quote:

Every great city has big buildings. It's a city. It's not a suburb. Please. That is the fundamental that NIMBYs don't get. Cities have tall buildings. Suburbs have 4 story buildings.

I don't have any interest in living in the suburbs, though you certainly seem to be obsessed with them. I am interested, though, in public discourse about the pluses and minuses the neighborhood will experience due to the sudden doubling in size of the proposed project.

Though, come to think of it, I actually haven't seen you or anyone else mention any of the "pluses." Other than helping the bottom line of the development company, which is certainly quite nice for them. I'd love to hear them.

Posted on: 2014/9/25 20:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CandiceOsborne wrote:
Quote:

jcman420 wrote:
As a point of clarification, I understand that this change *was* made with some opportunity for feedback at neighborhood meetings, etc. However, it is unclear to me when, exactly, the developer was approved for a variance from the height restrictions and what public dialogue occurred before that decision was made.

There is no approval at this point. Planning recommended approval to the city council, but council has not voted. Please give me any feedback you have. You can email or fill out my survey.

Please don't let the NIMBYs ruin our city, Candice.

Posted on: 2014/9/25 19:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

I accompanied my friend on the tour when he bought in GC and the realtor emphasized to him that the views are not promised, even on the PH levels. Since owners in a newport building won their lawsuit against the developer, I know for sure that realtors are not promising any views of any kind. If you were promised a view, then you have precedent to sue and win that case.

Was told the same thing about views, however we live in a unit that is unusual in that it actually will have views. Generally speaking though, Gull's Cove is not a "view" building.

This doesn't make any sense. You were told views were not guaranteed by the real estate agent but you bought your unit anyway because it had a view at the time even though the real estate agent told you the unit might lose it?

Look, it's really simple. Either the real estate agent guaranteed you will have a view and you lost it - which then you can sue and most likely win due to precedent or you can stfu.

Posted on: 2014/9/25 19:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Sunshine is not in your deed.

This is a city. You know who else will need more sewers? Whole Foods. Trader Joe's. But the day the real thread comes announcing them, the NIMBY crowd won't be crying "But what of the sewers? Won't someone please think of the sewers?!?!!"

The idea that is part of some shadow conspiracy to bring in development is a joke. The city repeatedly hands over the keys to the neighborhood associations that are filled with NIMBY types that do everything to make everyone else not a granola type miserable.

Every great city has big buildings. It's a city. It's not a suburb. Please. That is the fundamental that NIMBYs don't get. Cities have tall buildings. Suburbs have 4 story buildings.

Posted on: 2014/9/25 19:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/13 14:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcman420 wrote:
As a point of clarification, I understand that this change *was* made with some opportunity for feedback at neighborhood meetings, etc. However, it is unclear to me when, exactly, the developer was approved for a variance from the height restrictions and what public dialogue occurred before that decision was made.

There is no approval at this point. Planning recommended approval to the city council, but council has not voted. Please give me any feedback you have. You can email or fill out my survey.

Posted on: 2014/9/25 0:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/9/25 0:40

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017