Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Downtown: Man shot and killed at Jersey City's Holland Gardens apartments
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/9/23 22:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Karma's a bitch!

Posted on: 2014/9/22 23:42
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
I hope he enjoyed his short time of freedom.

Jersey City man killed in high-speed motorcycle crash in North Bergen, authorities say

NORTH BERGEN ? A Jersey City man was found dead on Sunday after crashing his motorcycle into a concrete barrier at a high speed and sliding more than 300 feet along the highway, authorities said.

Thomas Fischkelta, 29, was speeding on a slick Tonnelle Avenue (US 1&9 North) in North Bergen on Sunday morning when he crashed into a wall between the north and south bound lanes, said Hudson County Sheriff Frank Schillari. After striking the wall, Fischkelta rode up the structure and became slightly airborne, Schillari said.

The motorcycle landed on its side, and Fischkelta was thrown from the bike, sliding 376 feet before stopping, he said. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

"We believe that high speed and wet road conditions appear to be contributing factors to the crash, which is still under investigation," Schillari said in a statement. "Blood samples will be sent to the state police lab to see if alcohol played a role in the crash."

Fischkelta was driving approximately 70 mph leading up to the crash and had a suspended driver's license, said Michael Makarski,a spokesman for the sheriff's office. He was wearing a helmet at the time, Makarski said.

The crash, which occurred at 3:40 Sunday morning, shut down Tonnelle Avenue for several hours.

Karma? A sign he got away with one?

Posted on: 2014/9/22 18:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I hope he enjoyed his short time of freedom.

Jersey City man killed in high-speed motorcycle crash in North Bergen, authorities say

NORTH BERGEN ? A Jersey City man was found dead on Sunday after crashing his motorcycle into a concrete barrier at a high speed and sliding more than 300 feet along the highway, authorities said.

Thomas Fischkelta, 29, was speeding on a slick Tonnelle Avenue (US 1&9 North) in North Bergen on Sunday morning when he crashed into a wall between the north and south bound lanes, said Hudson County Sheriff Frank Schillari. After striking the wall, Fischkelta rode up the structure and became slightly airborne, Schillari said.

The motorcycle landed on its side, and Fischkelta was thrown from the bike, sliding 376 feet before stopping, he said. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

"We believe that high speed and wet road conditions appear to be contributing factors to the crash, which is still under investigation," Schillari said in a statement. "Blood samples will be sent to the state police lab to see if alcohol played a role in the crash."

Fischkelta was driving approximately 70 mph leading up to the crash and had a suspended driver's license, said Michael Makarski,a spokesman for the sheriff's office. He was wearing a helmet at the time, Makarski said.

The crash, which occurred at 3:40 Sunday morning, shut down Tonnelle Avenue for several hours.

Posted on: 2014/9/22 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City man acquitted of 2010 murder after only 45 minutes of jury deliberation

By Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal
November 22, 2013 at 4:41 PM

A Jersey City felon charged with murdering a Newark man in a Jersey City housing complex three years ago was acquitted of all charges Thursday after only 45 minutes of jury deliberation.

?He started crying,? attorney Daniel Welsh said of the moment Thomas A. Fischkelta, 28, of Bleecker Street, heard the jury pronounce him not guilty of the July 6, 2010 murder of Jamaal Caldwell, 33, who died in a hail of bullets at Holland Gardens. The victim was was pronounced dead at the Jersey City Medical Center.

?I was fearful he was going to faint so I had him sit down,? Welsh said of his client, who was in jail at the time he was charged with the murder. On Feb. 27 Fischkelta finished serving a 3-year prison term for assault, aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer and conspiracy to possess drugs.

Welsh said the prosecution?s key witnesses were two of Fischkelta?s former roommates who testified that he told them he killed Caldwell.

But Welsh stressed to the jury that homicide investigators had several suspects, including one who was arrested two days after the killing, but they failed to follow up on them because statements made by the roommates.

Welsh said the man originally arrested was identified by an off-duty police officer who said the man left the building shortly before the shots were fired outside one of the buildings and he did not return.

The attorney said the initial suspect went on the run afterward because he knew he was being sought by police. When he was tracked down he was he was charged with a drug offense, but not the murder.

After finishing his prison sentence, Fischkelta was moved to Hudson County jail in Kearny, where he was held on a $1 million bail on the murder charge and two related weapons charges related to a handgun.

Last night he was finally a free man, Welsh said.

?I was very heartened because I truly believed he was innocent and I am very overwhelmed and humbled that the jury paid attention, they were diligent and they came back with the right verdict,? said Welsh.

The trial was heard before Hudson County Superior Court Judge Joseph Isabella. It began on Nov. 12 and included five days of testimony.

The Hudson County Prosecutor's Office's spokesman could not be reached for comment on the acquittal.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... itted_of_2010_murder.html

Posted on: 2013/11/23 5:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City shooting victim hit with eight bullets, but motive not apparent to police investigators

Thursday, July 08, 2010
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

A Newark man was gunned down in Jersey City's Holland Gardens housing complex Tuesday night and tight-lipped law enforcement officials yesterday said only that the investigation is moving forward.

Jamaal Caldwell, 33, of South Eighth Street in Newark, was shot multiple times and he was taken to the Jersey City Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at 8:44 p.m., Hudson County First Assistant Prosecutor Guy Gregory said.

Jersey City police rushed to the public housing complex, located near the mouth of Holland Tunnel on the Hoboken border, after receiving a report of shots being fired, Gregory said.

Caldwell finished a prison term recently, according to state corrections records, and was free less than two months before being shot to death. His body was transported to the state Regional Medical Examiner's Office in Newark.

The preliminary autopsy report completed yesterday indicates Caldwell was shot eight times - five times in the back, once in the abdomen and once in each hand, Gregory said.

Gregory said no motive has been established for the slaying and declined to share any details about the investigation.

Yesterday, candles burned at the site of the shooting, where a makeshift memorial with an image of Caldwell had been erected.

One inscription of sympathy on the placard outside the building where Caldwell's girlfriend lives read: "You might be gone but your soul is still here blessing the streets." The girlfriend did not appear to be home yesterday afternoon.

A former resident of the building stopped at the memorial and said Caldwell was a nice guy.

"He helped me carry my groceries and he helped my wife," said the man, who did not give his name. "He always called me Pop."

Caldwell was in prison from Nov. 16, 2009 to May 18, 2010 for hindering apprehension, according to state corrections records.

On June 27, Darren Edwards, 22, of the Holland Gardens housing complex, was shot at 10 p.m. at Duncan and Olean avenues and was pronounced dead at the Jersey City Medical Center 15 minutes later.

Gregory said the two homicides do not appear to be connected at this point in the investigation.

Anyone with information about these homicides is asked to contact the Hudson County Prosecutor's Office's Homicide Squad at (201) 915-1345.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 10:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FletchFletcher wrote:
GREAT! These are the same projects that they set up the voting booth's in!!!! Mr. Fulop, I would vote all day long for you but there is no way i am letting my wife walk into those project to vote.

Go abesntee then. Former Govorner Bill Cody (fill in) signed into law the right to vote absentee in New Jersey for any reason what so ever.

http://www.state.nj.us/state/elections/mail-in_doe.html

http://www.njelections.org/absentee_doe.html

Posted on: 2010/7/7 16:12

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/8 19:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
GREAT! These are the same projects that they set up the voting booth's in!!!! Mr. Fulop, I would vote all day long for you but there is no way i am letting my wife walk into those project to vote.

Posted on: 2010/7/7 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
yeah probably..

It?s been a violent year at the JC projects. I don?t think I remember it ever being so bad. I think at least one person has been killed in each of the projects within the last year.(maybe the last few months!)

The good news is the last two Duncan Avenue Project towers are currently being demolished to make way for some additional low rise /low income townhouses. The bad news is Holland and Marion Gardens will probably never be demolished because they are already low rise apartments.

Posted on: 2010/7/7 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/7/7 14:15

Downtown: Man shot and killed at Jersey City's Holland Gardens apartments
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Man shot and killed at Jersey City's Holland Gardens apartments

Published: Tuesday, July 06, 2010, 10:04 PM Updated: Tuesday, July 06, 2010, 10:07 PM

Jersey City police stand outside Holland Gardens apartments, where a man was shot and killed tonight. According to police, the call came in at 8:17 p.m. and the victim was shot at least three times. The Hudson County Prosecutor's Office is investigating. Anyone with any information on the crime should call the Homicide hotline at 201-915-1345.

From www.nj.com

Buy the paper Jersey Journal

Posted on: 2010/7/7 13:10

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017