Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
106 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 106

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Possible wedding venue?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
You sound like a pretty shitty neighbor yourself if your first thought is to call the city instead of just talking to them.

Your reading comprehension is atrocious. As per my initial message, I clearly stated that I thought about reporting them and then chose not to do so exactly because I had ambivalence towards reporting a neighbor. In other words, I chose to give them the benefit of the doubt. In hindsight, that was clearly the wrong choice.

Quote:

Good neighbors talk to each other.

WRONG. That's not necessarily true. Good neighbors respect each other. You don't need to interact with a neighbor to be a good neighbor. You can be respectful, non intrusive and thoughtful without actually having any interactions.

Quote:

I'm willing to bet you're also one of those people that never bothers to ask their neighbors to keep the music down, and instead bitches and moans for weeks to themselves before calling the police.

You know NOTHING about me. I am widely regarded as a great neighbor. Always kept my area clean, shoveled common areas in my building and usually shoveled right to each person's door in an inside courtyard we all shared, and have been known to watch neighbors' places and pets when out of town. I have never had anyone come up to tell me I am annoying them, or playing music too loud, or watching TV too loud. Actually, that happened twice in an 8-year period. All this to say, I am a good neighbor because I am considerate towards my neighbors. Being considerate is about minding your responsibilities and actions as they relate to those around you.

And, I will say it again. Parlay Studios is a BAD NEIGHBOR. Their sidewalks are STILL not shoveled from last night's precipitation, which is yet another layer on what is increasingly becoming a perilous area: a thick bottom layer of ice, with snow and ice sprinkled on top. I hope someone slips and falls and decides to sue them.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Or just report them to the city via the website. It's super easy. No one should have to remind their neighbor that their walk is supposed to be shoveled so I wouldn't bother with the courtesy of letting them know face to face that you have a problem with it.

Posted on: 2015/3/3 22:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
You sound like a pretty shitty neighbor yourself if your first thought is to call the city instead of just talking to them. Good neighbors talk to each other. Stop in and mention that they need to keep their sidewalks shoveled. If they refuse to do it after that, then by all means, call up the city.

I'm willing to bet you're also one of those people that never bothers to ask their neighbors to keep the music down, and instead bitches and moans for weeks to themselves before calling the police.

A little facetime and talking will go a long way with people, seriously. My neighbor had a big problem with people in our apartment building putting our trash and recycling bins by his front entrance due to the noise and mess it made. He was really upset about it, but I never had a clue there was any problem. I thought he was just moving our bins to be a dick, and he thought I was just moving them back to be a dick. One day I saw him out there huffing around and we talked about it and shook hands and we're all good now because we understand each other.

Don't be passive aggressive, just talk to them and I bet you'll find out that they're real life people just like you.

Posted on: 2015/3/3 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:

I don't see what their snow shoveling abilities have to do with their ability to host a wedding.

Ah, let me explain it to you in simpler terms: their inability or indifference towards shoveling their sidewalks is a big FU to their neighbors. It shows they DO NOT CARE. It's no different than a restaurant or bar doing the same thing. So, because as a neighbor I am directly impacted by their indifference or apathy, I would in turn encourage others to not patronize them.

Quote:

Why don't you go talk to them about it before you go reporting them. There aren't any sidewalks there, so I'm not sure reporting them would do anything (not sure what the law says exactly).

You are in fact WRONG. They have a stretch of sidewalk facing onto 1st street which is obviously their responsibility (they even have an entrance in that stretch of sidewalk) and they have all of their area facing onto Provost St, which then wraps onto 2nd St, where they have another entrance. Their stretch of 1st St is completely covered in snow and ice. And, in case you don't know, the law is very clear: they MUST clear their sidewalk within 8 hours after the snow has stopped falling.

And, no, I am not going to go talk to them. Nobody should have to go talk to a business to "plead" they do their job. As a business owner, it is your responsibility to be a good neighbor and fulfill your legal duties.

Posted on: 2015/3/3 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

thirstyquaker wrote:
I know I'm late to the party here, but I've had friends get married at the Loews Theater and at Parlay Studios, both of which are fantastic spaces and great for weddings. The Loews is of course an absolutely beautiful theater and a great backdrop for a wedding. Parlay was fantastic because they've got a bar set up and lots of space for seating and dance floor area.

The other places mentioned, Grace Church and HCCC Culinary Center are great too. The Knights of Columbus Hall in Bayonne would probably be good as well.

And the Harborside Financial Center frequently hosts weddings and special events, though they've been under renovation for a bit, not sure when the atrium is reopening. They do catering themselves though.

So those are my recommendations. Also, in a bit of shameless self promotion, if you host a wedding (or any event) at a place like Parlay or the Loews or Grace Church, where you can bring your own drinks, please give us a shout! We've worked with several weddings and will spend time to find stuff that works in your budget, deliver everything, and we have a buyback program.

http://thirstyquaker.com/weddings-events/

I would encourage people here NOT to patronize Parlay Studios. They are a very inconsiderate neighbor who has refused to shovel their sidewalks after each of the last three significant snowfalls. Their snow plan seems to be "let the cars, plows and sun take care of it". The sidewalks and areas around their entire business are COVERED in snow, which is now a melted mess of ice and dirt, with fresh powder snow on top from the snow that fell on Sunday. I considered reporting them to the JC RRC after the first big snowstorm, but felt bad "ratting out" a neighbor. Then, during the second snow storm, I realized I SHOULD have reported them, because they are rude and inconsiderate towards their neighbors for failing to shovel and clean the snow. It is now the third time we have had significant snow, and same response from them. It seems like a little late to report them, but I may just do it. Super annoying.
I don't see what their snow shoveling abilities have to do with their ability to host a wedding.

Why don't you go talk to them about it before you go reporting them. There aren't any sidewalks there, so I'm not sure reporting them would do anything (not sure what the law says exactly).

Posted on: 2015/3/3 18:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 6:51
From Bergen Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
My friend's brother had his wedding at LITM, downtown on Newark Ave.

They rented the place on a Saturday night. They loved it, had a great time. They did think there wasn't enough food though, but this probably has more to do with planning.

Another friend had the ceremony at a park (forget where), and then the party was on a boat that left from one of JC's marinas, also forget where.

You could also see if someone rents out their house to you. A beautiful brownstone wedding! Or, one of the gorgeous Victorians to be found throughout the city!

Now I want to get married again.

Posted on: 2015/3/3 16:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

thirstyquaker wrote:
I know I'm late to the party here, but I've had friends get married at the Loews Theater and at Parlay Studios, both of which are fantastic spaces and great for weddings. The Loews is of course an absolutely beautiful theater and a great backdrop for a wedding. Parlay was fantastic because they've got a bar set up and lots of space for seating and dance floor area.

The other places mentioned, Grace Church and HCCC Culinary Center are great too. The Knights of Columbus Hall in Bayonne would probably be good as well.

And the Harborside Financial Center frequently hosts weddings and special events, though they've been under renovation for a bit, not sure when the atrium is reopening. They do catering themselves though.

So those are my recommendations. Also, in a bit of shameless self promotion, if you host a wedding (or any event) at a place like Parlay or the Loews or Grace Church, where you can bring your own drinks, please give us a shout! We've worked with several weddings and will spend time to find stuff that works in your budget, deliver everything, and we have a buyback program.

I would encourage people here NOT to patronize Parlay Studios. They are a very inconsiderate neighbor who has refused to shovel their sidewalks after each of the last three significant snowfalls. Their snow plan seems to be "let the cars, plows and sun take care of it". The sidewalks and areas around their entire business are COVERED in snow, which is now a melted mess of ice and dirt, with fresh powder snow on top from the snow that fell on Sunday. I considered reporting them to the JC RRC after the first big snowstorm, but felt bad "ratting out" a neighbor. Then, during the second snow storm, I realized I SHOULD have reported them, because they are rude and inconsiderate towards their neighbors for failing to shovel and clean the snow. It is now the third time we have had significant snow, and same response from them. It seems like a little late to report them, but I may just do it. Super annoying.

Posted on: 2015/3/3 11:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/25 1:51
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/3/3 3:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Was at a catered event in an amazing space at St Peters U this weekend, a huge room at the top of a new looking 6 floor building between Montgomery and Glenwood. Had never heard of it so am sharing. Has large windows with spectacular views all around. Maybe it's little know because apparently they didn't know before this event that caterers can bring their own liquor license, and wine was served.

Posted on: 2015/3/3 1:12

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/25 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
You may also look into the Tenmarc Building on Communipaw Ave. I don't know if rent their space for receptions, but this is an incredible space if you don't mind the historic industrial look. They had a great event during one of JC Fridays last year, and they've held a couple of other things, but I don't know what goes on there on a regular basis. Does anyone know?

Posted on: 2014/9/21 3:14

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Two more that come to mind -- can you tell I've been also searching everywhere?

Grace Church
http://www.gracevanvorst.org/rentals
I have no idea how much they charge, but you at least know your $ is going to an organization with deep service roots in JC. I've been to some of their art openings and know they allow/serve wine. The one thing that might be an issue is that they don't rent their hall on Saturdays any more.

The Hewn Arts Center
http://www.hewnartscenter.com/#!contact-us
https://www.facebook.com/hewnartscenter
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1697189?guests=16&s=kwni
For a wedding, you'd probably end up paying more than their $200 airbnb fee, but it's not bad for JC.

Posted on: 2014/9/21 3:01

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Another option is the Culinary Conference Center. Although they don't allow you to bring your own caterer, I thought it might be worth including in the list for other readers: http://culinaryconferencecenter.com/weddings.htm

Posted on: 2014/9/21 2:42

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If you don't mind a bit of distance, you may want to consider the Polish American Home in Bayonne. Their hall rental rates are pretty reasonable, and you can bring you own caterer, but you do have to buy your booze from them. I stumbled upon them when looking for venue nearby.

LARGE HALL - Up To 210 People
$250/Hour. 25% Deposit Of Total Contract
4 Hour Min. + 1 Hour For Prep/Cleaning

MEDIUM HALL - Up To 80 People
$100/Hour. 25% Deposit Of Total Contract

SMALL HALL - Up To 50 People
$75/Hour. 25% Deposit Of Total Contract

Here is their website: http://www.thepolishhome.us/index.html

Posted on: 2014/9/21 2:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/10 19:21
Group:
Registered Users
I used the Ukrainian Center on Fleet St. years ago. At the time, they offered 3 different-size rooms and the people there were so lovely and the rental fee was very reasonable.

Posted on: 2014/9/19 16:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Barrow Mansion has been used for weddings.

And although you said you were looking for something different, I can say Liberty House knows how to put on an event. I've heard good things about Maritime Parc, too. Sometimes paying a little extra to have everything done by the people who run the place and know what they are doing can be as efficient as paying different places for space and catering. And it definitely makes planning easier.

Posted on: 2014/9/19 14:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/20 21:49
Group:
Registered Users
I recently went on the same search and was surprised at how few options there were for a low-key non-traditional wedding. One possibility that I did like is the Barsky Gallery in Hoboken. It's on Harrison St by Observer Highway, so right by JC border and not in heart of Hoboken. You can use your own caterer.

Posted on: 2014/9/19 14:15

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/4 10:26
Group:
Registered Users
Liberty state park will not let you do weddings there and they do not allow alcohol according to their website. Unfortunately.

Posted on: 2014/9/19 13:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
I'm sure many of the hotels downtown have halls and areas to rent. Those might be the only places where you can have your own caterers come in.

Posted on: 2014/9/19 13:01
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Does the Loews still rent the lobby?

Yes.

Other suggestions: Liberty State Park.

See if Mana Contemporary rents their space after hours.

Posted on: 2014/9/19 11:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Does the Loews still rent the lobby?

Posted on: 2014/9/18 23:19

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I did look into those but I'm really not having a traditional wedding so those places didn't really work. I'm more into the idea of an empty space and having caterers come in. I'm also not trying to spend a lot of money on this event and those places are pricey. They are beautiful though :)

Posted on: 2014/9/18 20:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/8 23:34
From The Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Denised,

Have you checked the restaurants in downtown area such as Batello (in Newport), Liberty House or Maritime Parc (in Liberty State Park)? These are very nice venues for weddings, which also provide great views and convenient parking.

Posted on: 2014/9/18 20:17

Possible wedding venue?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know of a hall/rental space/event space near downtown to rent for a sort of wedding, more like a large party? I've looked on past posts but I know that so much stuff is opening up, and other stuff has moved or closed, that much of the information is now outdated. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on: 2014/9/18 19:50

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017