Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: 30 Children at 5th Street Daycare drank bleach!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/18 1:42
From Botswana
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Repurposing containers is something every daycare and school do - they use them for arts and craft, storage and this has always been done as a good business practice. Buying products and non perishables in bulk, is what keeps many businesses viable, thus the need to repurpose containers is how one makes using liquids or products in a more manageable and safe way. Bleach can be bought in 55 gallon drums and the cost savings is huge.

The storage of cleaning products in a kitchen is common practice as its an area totally out of bounds for children and always with an adult present.

I still stand by the opinion that the kitchen aide is a knuckle-head and it was a justifiable firing and they are lucky not to be sued directly by a parent for negligence. If you do a search on a position description of a (general) kitchen aide, you will learn that they are accountable for many duties within the kitchen and the transference of bulk items into small manageable ones ... it also includes the hands on use of chemicals to clean pots and pans, equipment and prep areas.

If you're looking to blame someone, then its the kitchen aides training and their certification / accreditation to apply and do the job. Clearly they lacked common sense or slept through their classes!

Note: Parents always complain the high cost of childcare and the only way many daycare places can save money and keep overheads down is via bulk buying - nearly every business does it and any staff in a daycare would be especially aware of it, thus the need to repurpose containers to manage their bulk purchases.

score09, you need a reality check and look into some of these daycare places or even aged care facilities and get out of your cocoon of ignorance. Just recently there was a drive for plastic bottles, butter tubs and cereal boxes at our local daycare - I gather they were doing some sort of art project with the kids.

This missive is utterly ridiculous. Frankly, it's downright offensive.

Why?

Because I know FOR A FACT that existing and RESPONSIBLE daycare centers in DTJC do not allow Bleach or any other hazardous material within confine. Bottom line. Repurposed containers aside, NO RESPONSIBLE day care center allows hazardous material on site, none whatsoever.

Here we have some FAT ASS BIKE whose supposed address matches Stevie, carpet bagger, Fulop, and who lays claim to knowing everything about day care centers. Lol, what a tool.

Posted on: 2014/9/19 1:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Is there any update on the children and employees? I cannot imagine the level of anxiety that the parents went through that day (Sept. 11th ~ when we're all a little on edge anyway).

We toured this place four years ago, just before the arrival of our child. We were fortunate in that we could afford choices d went with a nanny for the first two years, then Scandi school and an afternoon nanny for year 3. Many working parents here in the downtown are doing their best to write a hefty monthly rent or mortgage check and scrambling to find affordable care.

This was one of the least expensive options, if I recall correctly. Just guessing that lawsuits will begin, parents will be missing work for the next few weeks as they scramble for alternative care....all of the options out there, being more expensive.

It was a sad day for JC ~ the accident itself, the disruption of trust, the loss of jobs and the scramble to secure safe care and re acclimate the kids.

Posted on: 2014/9/13 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
The kitchen is the only guaranteed area children can't access and always has an adult present - If not, then its an area designed to prevent kids getting in there - child locks, door handles out of reach etc.

Interesting to note that it was a teacher that could smell the unusual odor and not the kitchen aide who should and would have worked with these types of products and be familiar with such smells!

Posted on: 2014/9/13 9:14
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/18 0:07
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
kudos for the teacher who took immediate action to stop the kids from ingesting the poison. Glad the children were all o.k.

Posted on: 2014/9/13 3:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Regardless of whose fault it was, I can't imagine this place will be in business for much longer. Some parents will immediately pull their kids from there (justifiably or not) and the place will suffer cash flow problems and be forced to close. Then everyone who worked there will be out of work (even if they had nothing to do with this accident) and parents who were still comfortable with the place will have to look elsewhere for child care.

I can only guess that firing the employee who poured the tainted water was a face-saving measure, and may have been the right thing to do, but there are clearly other people to blame here. There are more details we may never now, like - why on earth were cleaning materials stored near the kitchen? Or were they actually stored there - did the employee pick up the bottle from somewhere else?

Also - how well-labeled was the container? I remember in day care that ANY cleaning product was labeled with those big green "Mr. Yuk" stickers or a skull & crossbones. I would love to see a picture of the container.

Finally - was repurposing the milk container a smart thing to do? I've seen milk containers repurposed before at day cares, but not to put cleaning products in.

In any case, however deserved the blame may be here, lawsuits are part of the reason that day care has become very expensive for everyone, with their insurance premiums being through the roof. It's a business that few entrepreneurs want any part of due to the potential liabilities involved. So we're often left with a diminished supply of providers, run by people who don't always know what they're doing.

Posted on: 2014/9/12 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
You people with your holier than thou outrage are hilarious and pathetic. This is a mistake that could have happened to anyone. No harm happened, and no harm could have realistically happened. If there had been more than trace amounts of bleach, it would have been detectable by scent. As is, water with trace amounts of bleach is not going to be obviously different from regular water. Get over it.

It appears the only one who thinks they are holier than thou is you. But you're ignorant.

If you took two seconds to read the article, you'd see a second teacher in fact detected the bleach by scent and that's how this got stopped. Try reading next time.

Posted on: 2014/9/12 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
You people with your holier than thou outrage are hilarious and pathetic. This is a mistake that could have happened to anyone. No harm happened, and no harm could have realistically happened. If there had been more than trace amounts of bleach, it would have been detectable by scent. As is, water with trace amounts of bleach is not going to be obviously different from regular water. Get over it.

Posted on: 2014/9/12 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Director of daycare says poor labeling blamed for children drinking bleach mixture

By Michaelangelo Conte | The Jersey Journal
Follow on Twitter
on September 12, 2014 at 9:23 AM

A kitchen worker's mistake is being blamed for 28 children and two adults at a Downtown Jersey City daycare center accidentally ingesting a mixture of bleach and water and being taken to the hospital yesterday morning , where they were later released.

The 65 children at the day care were having a snack of fruit and water, said Pete Kearney, executive director of the Growing Tree Learning Center II at 150 5th St.

A kitchen worker on her first day at the job mistakenly picked up a repurposed gallon milk container to fill cups for the children and did not realize there was a label on it saying "mixed bleach and water.'' She poured cups for the children
and they were brought to the classrooms, Kearney said.

A teacher noticed a smell of bleach and immediately stopped the children from
drinking the water, collected the cups and 911 was called.

They did not know which children drank the water so all children served with it were taken to the hospital, according to Kearney.

"It was a mistake,'' said Kearney.

"The bottle should have been labeled better, the container should not have been repurposed.

We have spoken to all our parents and they were very upset and we are as well. I've been here 16 years and nothing like this has ever happened."

The kitchen worker has been fired, he said.

The children and adults who accidentally ingested the mixture are fine after being released from Jersey City Medical Center-St. Barnabas Health, hospital officials said.

JCMC dispatcher Barbara Allen, who took the 911 call, dispatched five ambulances, two advanced life support teams, the Jersey City police and fire departments, and the fire department's 20-bed mass casualty unit. She also advised the daycare to keep the 3- and 4-year-old children calm and not to induce vomiting, as that could cause damage to the throat and lungs.

Emergency responders found the children were lightheaded, had stomach aches and were scared, said Jersey City Medical Center spokesman Mark Rabson.

The children were treated at the scene before being taken to the Jersey City hospital, said Rabson.

LINK

Posted on: 2014/9/12 14:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Now I am hearing the carton was in the refrigerator smdh we need more investigating reporting from the Journal, they leave so much info out of their reporting.

Posted on: 2014/9/12 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
You can't just blame the kitchen aid here - from the press accounts, this appears to be a systemic failure by the daycare center, which, to me, casts its entire operational safety into serious doubt. The simple explanation is that a bleach solution should have been properly and clearly labeled and should have been placed in an area where only cleaning products are kept - not in a kitchen where it could be mistaken for water. Quite frankly, the cleaning products should be in an area that is either locked or totally inaccesible to children, and sitting on a kitchen counter is not appropriate. Moreover, fresh water should be used everyday, so the fact that this daycare is just pouring "old" water from a "repurposed" bottle is also disconcerting. This is pure sloppiness and inexcusable. This is something that the daycare and its director should have controlled and they apparantely didn't - according to the information given so far.

If they are sloppy on very simple safety matters such as keeping cleaning products segregated, what else are they sloppy with?

Posted on: 2014/9/12 13:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

If you're looking to blame someone, then its the kitchen aides training and their certification / accreditation to apply and do the job. Clearly they lacked common sense or slept through their classes!

Note: Parents always complain the high cost of childcare and the only way many daycare places can save money and keep overheads down is via bulk buying - nearly every business does it and any staff in a daycare would be especially aware of it, thus the need to repurpose containers to manage their bulk purchases.

The other way day care places keep costs down is by paying minimum wage. Likely the 'kitchen aid" was little more than a unaccredited dishwasher in a prior job.

Who would parents sue - a kitchen aid earning say $10k/year, or a business earning say $600k+/year? Pretty obvious who is accountable to the parents imo.

Posted on: 2014/9/12 11:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Repurposing containers is something every daycare and school do - they use them for arts and craft, storage and this has always been done as a good business practice. Buying products and non perishables in bulk, is what keeps many businesses viable, thus the need to repurpose containers is how one makes using liquids or products in a more manageable and safe way. Bleach can be bought in 55 gallon drums and the cost savings is huge.

The storage of cleaning products in a kitchen is common practice as its an area totally out of bounds for children and always with an adult present.

I still stand by the opinion that the kitchen aide is a knuckle-head and it was a justifiable firing and they are lucky not to be sued directly by a parent for negligence. If you do a search on a position description of a (general) kitchen aide, you will learn that they are accountable for many duties within the kitchen and the transference of bulk items into small manageable ones ... it also includes the hands on use of chemicals to clean pots and pans, equipment and prep areas.

score09, you need a reality check and look into some of these daycare places or even aged care facilities and get out of your cocoon of ignorance. Just recently there was a drive for plastic bottles, butter tubs and cereal boxes at our local daycare - I gather they were doing some sort of art project with the kids.

Posted on: 2014/9/12 11:23
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/29 18:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
If you can't bother to read a label on a container that says "bleach + water" then you probably deserve to be fired. Some jobs require a bit of common sense. It sounds like management acted quickly and did the right thing and nobody got hurt.

Repurposing drinking containers with toxic contents is a recipe for disaster. Bleach bottles at the store have no resemblance to drinking containers for a reason. Whoever did that is an idiot. Doing this in your own home is stupid enough, but at a child care center it is pure negligence. Management acted like shit by putting bleach in a drinking container.

Posted on: 2014/9/12 6:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
If you can't bother to read a label on a container that says "bleach + water" then you probably deserve to be fired. Some jobs require a bit of common sense. It sounds like management acted quickly and did the right thing and nobody got hurt.

Posted on: 2014/9/12 3:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Botswana
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
If I grabbed a repurposed gallon milk container from a cupboard that obviously I didn't get out of a fridge, I'd be taking a second look at it - I would consider that as basic common-sense, I'd even take a whiff of what was inside the container and also make myself familiar of my surrounds within the kitchen area and get to know what's what in my area of employment - Obviously this employee needed to be spoon fed their role and I hope they don't make the same stupid mistake with their own family at home. Note: The report did state a label was on the MILK container that was overlooked and a note was made to make the label bigger to help prevent it reoccuring by employees that aren't so observant !
Obviously other staff didn't and hadn't made that basic mistake, thus this employee lacked simple common-sense or have a basic safety aptitude when dealing with kids.

This is a classic example of 'if in doubt, stay out and find out - before proceeding'. On many of my building sites I would erect signs with this message when acting as the safety officer.

Oh wow, where to begin, lol. FAB, FAB, what up my friend? You all wrong here -- and way, WAY, wrong, digging a deep hole.

Your comments are so totally far right-wing conserva -- TIGHT! I'll not embarrass you further. But to rationalize the firing of the kitchen worker, whether a native English tongue or not, is just downright inhumane. Goody, goody for you FAB, lol, you have it ALL figured out. Bottom line is the "director" of the day care center is the person worthy of condemnation. NOT, the worker FAB.

But, if you a Capitalist, well then, so you be. Be aware though, that The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

Posted on: 2014/9/12 2:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
If I grabbed a repurposed gallon milk container from a cupboard that obviously I didn't get out of a fridge, I'd be taking a second look at it - I would consider that as basic common-sense, I'd even take a whiff of what was inside the container and also make myself familiar of my surrounds within the kitchen area and get to know what's what in my area of employment - Obviously this employee needed to be spoon fed their role and I hope they don't make the same stupid mistake with their own family at home. Note: The report did state a label was on the MILK container that was overlooked and a note was made to make the label bigger to help prevent it reoccuring by employees that aren't so observant !
Obviously other staff didn't and hadn't made that basic mistake, thus this employee lacked simple common-sense or have a basic safety aptitude when dealing with kids.

This is a classic example of 'if in doubt, stay out and find out - before proceeding'. On many of my building sites I would erect signs with this message when acting as the safety officer.

Posted on: 2014/9/12 1:38

Edited by fat-ass-bike on 2014/9/12 1:55:35
Edited by fat-ass-bike on 2014/9/12 1:59:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Botswana
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
The daycare did the right thing by contacting emergency services and parents immediately and firing the worker the next day.

I can only assume that when you pay minimum wage you also get minimum aptitude and common-sense. Maybe they need to lock cupboards to prevent 'adults and staff' opening them too!

But credit should go the management for acting fast

Can't believe I'm reading this FAB, like some of your posts but this one is totally ridiculous.

The day care center fostered an environment in which "repurposed" milk and water containers were used for bleach and neglected to properly label them. I can't cay for sure, but I suspect without doubt that the unceremoniously fired kitchen worker was uninitiated and in no way lacking in common sense or "aptitude."

Ultimately, it was the day care center director's negligence that paved the way for bleach into the drinking cups. It is both disgusting and reprehensible on the part of the director that he has opted to NOT take responsibility and that, worse -- WAY WORSE -- he decided to fire the kitchen worker! Tells me all I need to know about him -- he's a coward!

Posted on: 2014/9/12 0:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
The daycare did the right thing by contacting emergency services and parents immediately and firing the worker the next day.

I can only assume that when you pay minimum wage you also get minimum aptitude and common-sense. Maybe they need to lock cupboards to prevent 'adults and staff' opening them too!

But credit should go the management for acting fast

Posted on: 2014/9/12 0:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
First day on the job, daycare center kitchen worker in Jersey City fired after children ingest bleach

By Michaelangelo Conte | The Jersey Journal
Follow on Twitter
on September 11, 2014 at 6:18 PM, updated September 11, 2014 at 6:24 PM

A kitchen worker's mistake is being blamed for 28 children and two adults at a Downtown Jersey City daycare center accidentally ingesting a mixture of bleach and water and being taken to the hospital, where they were later released.

"This morning, the 65 children at the day care were having a snack off fruit and water,'' said Pete Kearney, executive director of the Growing Tree Learning Center II at 150 5th St.

"A kitchen worker on her first day at the job mistakenly picked up a repurposed gallon milk container to fill cups for the children and did not realize there was a label on it saying mixed bleach and water. She poured cups for the children and they were brought to the classrooms.

" A teacher noticed a smell of bleach and immediately stopped the children from drinking the water, collected the cups and 911 was called. They did not know which children drank the water so all children served with it were taken to the hospital.''

?It was a mistake,'' said Kearney. "The bottle should have been labeled better, the container should not have been repurposed ? We have spoken to all our parents and they were very upset and we are as well. I?ve been here 16 years and nothing like this has ever happened.?

He said he is having a meeting with parents tonight and will have one tomorrow as well. The kitchen worker has been fired, he said.

All 28 children and two adults who accidentally ingested the mixture are fine after being released from Jersey City Medical Center-St. Barnabas Health, hospital officials said.

At 10:53 a.m,. a 911 call was placed.

JCMC dispatcher Barbara Allen, who took the 911 call, dispatched five ambulances, two advanced life support teams, the Jersey City police and fire departments, and the fire department?s 20-bed mass casualty unit. She also advised the daycare to keep the 3- and 4-year-old children calm and not to induce vomiting, as that could cause damage to the throat and lungs.

Emergency responders found the children were lightheaded, had stomach aches and were scared, said Jersey City Medical Center spokesman Mark Rabson.

The children were treated at the scene before being taken to the

Jersey City hospital. Their vital signs were monitored and they were given fluids such as milk or water to dilute the bleach, Rabson said.

?The major thing paramedics, EMTs, police and fire did was to convince them they were OK and told them they were going to the hospital to make sure they were alright and that they would get to see the inside of an ambulance,? Rabson said.

Daycare and hospital officials contacted the parents of the children and they responded to the Medical Center to pick them up.

?Parents hugged their children and were very relieved that the children were fine,? Rabson said.

LINK

Posted on: 2014/9/11 23:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Word on the street, it was the Kitchens aid first day... but they were fired today after this incident.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 22:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Bleach has a special odor, I am surprised by this!

Newer versions smell like lemon or lavender, so maybe that was what they use.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 19:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Bleach has a special odor, I am surprised by this!

Posted on: 2014/9/11 19:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/14 16:17
Group:
Registered Users
Seems to be an unfortunate case of poor labelling/storage and badly communicating routines to a temp or substitute employee. The video linked in news article in original post explains. Inexcusable and terrible in any case! Glad the children are okay and hope the center is reprimanded.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 18:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/25 7:33
Group:
Registered Users
I don't usually rush to judgment without all of the facts, but 30 kids having time to ingest bleach sure does suggest that nobody was paying attention!!

Hope all of these little ones are ok!

Posted on: 2014/9/11 18:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/16 18:56
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you to the OP for posting this. My son goes here and this is the first I've heard of it. He is OK.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
I cannot even imagine how neglectful this center could be to allow 30 children to be affected!

Thank god it was not my sons but I feel sorry for any parents who are affected.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 16:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/14 15:55
Group:
Registered Users
What a nightmare!!

Posted on: 2014/9/11 16:11

30 Children at 5th Street Daycare drank bleach!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/9/11 16:07

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username: