Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Isn't enough space' on street, so park in garages
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know the legalities, but in principle I would support both limited grandfathering for longtime residents and exemptions for truly low-income car owners, as long as we at least START moving permit parking fees into the realm of reality.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Not to get all Yvonne-like, but there are lots of people in this city for whom ANY increase in the parking fee would be a hardship. This is a situation that will resolve itself - younger arrivals won't need/want cars, other people will start to realize the hassles outweigh the value of having one and arrange their lives accordingly. But for the forseeable future, a bunch of people need their cars for work or family reasons.

Increases in costs suck, but it's not baseless - right now, many people are essentially receiving free real estate for nothing. It makes sense to me that one should pay for what you use. And yes, some people rely on cars - which also means that they should be willing to pay for it and/or cut out expenses that are of a lower priority.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 19:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Since my name is mention, I want to say a couple just sold or rent their condo on Barrow and York. Both had cars and spend hours looking for parking. Their jobs required cars in which they had to report to work at different times. Personally, it is wrong to build new and not provide parking. 68 Erie, a new development with an abatement will have 12 units without parking so residents in that area will be impacted by 6 to 12 new cars fighting for parking spaces.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 19:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Not to get all Yvonne-like, but there are lots of people in this city for whom ANY increase in the parking fee would be a hardship. This is a situation that will resolve itself - younger arrivals won't need/want cars, other people will start to realize the hassles outweigh the value of having one and arrange their lives accordingly. But for the forseeable future, a bunch of people need their cars for work or family reasons.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/22 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
The problem in Jersey City as is the problem in Hoboken is that parking permits are greatly undervalued. Market rate parking is between $150 to $300 a month depending on where you park. That street parking permits are 1% the cost of parking in a garage. That's the problem. Raise the cost of a street permit to $1,800 a year and more people will park in garages.

Now you're talking. Heck, raise it to 5 percent of the real value and we could use that money to fill a lot of potholes.

This makes sense to me as well.

The problem is, the city would likely just use the money as general funds to waste on ancient pension obligations or whatever else. It would be great if there was a way to earmark the money to fund parking and street maintenance within the local communities.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
New York Times yesterday:

"What will $1 million buy in New York City? A diamond-encrusted Cartier men?s watch. A small fleet of 2014 Bentley Continentals. Or maybe your very own parking spot in SoHo."

(Click links below)

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/10/rea ... -dollar-parking-spot.html

http://observer.com/2014/09/there-wil ... ar-parking-space-in-soho/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09 ... g-spot-nyc_n_5792822.html

Posted on: 2014/9/11 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
Thank god this message board isn't in charge of urban planning. You all are fighting against the progression of the end of the autocentric era. It's happening whether you like it or not. We're in the enviable position of having a truly dense and walkable downtown with good public transit, something that most progressive cities strive for, and you all want to turn us into Charlotte.

Taking up the first five floors of every new building with parking lots and leaving the street wall with an ugly as hell vented concrete wall is some very backwards thinking these days. I know lots of old timers here want to pretend that JC isn't increasingly becoming a de facto borough but that's the reality. The people that are moving into new luxury buildings are by and large commuting into Manhattan. Hate to break it to you, but that's the draw for Jersey City and what is driving the amenities and development here.

If you (Yvonne) think we need to worry about someone getting a boot while going to a funeral, well that's a laughable outlier of an occassion and you can go ahead and pay the $10 to park in a lot. Move to the suburbs already.

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/4 10:26
Group:
Registered Users
I think I probably would be denied if there were enough spaces for each apartment (4 floors, with 12 apartments per floor and we only have 5 spots total is weird) and I made the decision to not pay for it, but I'm not positive on that. I did have to bring my lease down to the parking authority to prove that I do not have a spot available to me. As a car owner I would love to have a spot (street parking is not really ideal with accidents and break-ins) but I also agree that it has to be something that is affordable to people too.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
The problem with Jersey City as a whole if we can step outside of dtjc just for a moment. There is no where to park anywhere most times of the day throughout the city excluding 440.

I was visiting friends in The Heights near Pershing Field and it took about 15-20 min to find parking around 7 PM on a Saturday evening, but there was no option for garage parking... I had dinner a week ago @ Laico's and could not find parking and their valet parking was full, again no option for parking in a garage.

I think there should be more garages and parking-lots through our city, where there is no lightrail or PATH connecting you to that part of the city. Street parking is really getting harder, but we have no options around the city and most garages are connected to some building dtjc.

If you are not in denial and have been around the city, then you know there are a lot of cars in this city but not a lot of places to put them.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
While I realize people here are addressing a related but somewhat different point, it's important to keep in mind that any increase in the availability of car parking, though it may well make parking easier, inevitably makes driving that much harder, because it encourages people with cars to move here, discourage people for whom car ownership is optional from giving them up (as I did), etc.

That's why many cities (albeit generally larger ones) are beginning to LOWER the amount of off-street parking that developers are required to provide. They know that the market can, and will, provide parking space for those willing to pay for its true value, while no developer can provide more DRIVING space.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 15:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
The problem in Jersey City as is the problem in Hoboken is that parking permits are greatly undervalued. Market rate parking is between $150 to $300 a month depending on where you park. That street parking permits are 1% the cost of parking in a garage. That's the problem. Raise the cost of a street permit to $1,800 a year and more people will park in garages.

Now you're talking. Heck, raise it to 5 percent of the real value and we could use that money to fill a lot of potholes.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 15:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
According to the sign on my block you cannot park longer than two hours between 8 am and 5 pm, Monday thru Friday. You also need to move your car for the sweeper twice a week. Other times you do not need a permit. Are the regs different in different zones? I am in a non-highrise zone.

No, the rules are pretty uniform downtown with regards to permit parking. They currently allow anyone to park overnight (so long as the car is gone by 8 a.m.) and throughout the weekend and on holidays. The permit system was designed to discourage suburban commuters from using JC streets as a park-and-ride for the PATH train. I don't think they envisioned future high-rise dwellers also using street parking when they first established these rules. I completely agree that if you live in a building with available parking, you should use it, even if you have to pay. Parking is a privilege, not a constitutional right.

People who have parking in their building should pay for it.. and yet you don't want to pay for your own parking. How is that consistent?

Where have I said I don't want to pay for my own parking? I suggest you read my post again. Slowly. The fact is, I live in a high rise and pay for my parking. I'm pissed off at the people in my building who are too cheap to pay for parking and think it's OK to park on crosswalks, in front of fire hydrants, too close to corners, etc.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

denised wrote: I have a parking permit to park on the street because parking was not available through my building.

Just curious - if there were more spaces in the building, would you have been denied a permit?

Posted on: 2014/9/11 14:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Buy a house with a garage, problem solved.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 14:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
According to the sign on my block you cannot park longer than two hours between 8 am and 5 pm, Monday thru Friday. You also need to move your car for the sweeper twice a week. Other times you do not need a permit. Are the regs different in different zones? I am in a non-highrise zone.

No, the rules are pretty uniform downtown with regards to permit parking. They currently allow anyone to park overnight (so long as the car is gone by 8 a.m.) and throughout the weekend and on holidays. The permit system was designed to discourage suburban commuters from using JC streets as a park-and-ride for the PATH train. I don't think they envisioned future high-rise dwellers also using street parking when they first established these rules. I completely agree that if you live in a building with available parking, you should use it, even if you have to pay. Parking is a privilege, not a constitutional right.

People who have parking in their building should pay for it.. and yet you don't want to pay for your own parking. How is that consistent?

Posted on: 2014/9/11 13:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/9/11 13:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmcee wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
[quote]
I completely agree that if you live in a building with available parking, you should use it, even if you have to pay. Parking is a privilege, not a constitutional right.

The developers can then hold the residents hostage with exorbitant parking fees as the original developer of Trump did. They were charging like $400 a month for parking and you could not get a permit from the city. Eventually they lowered it since people refused to pay it.

Seems like the market worked itself out. If renters aren't willing to pay it, the cost will go down. If renters don't want to pay for parking that they find too expensive, then they won't move into the high rise that is doing that.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 13:46

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/4 10:26
Group:
Registered Users
I don't live in a huge high rise but I do live in a new building. My building has 5 floors. Our parking lot has 5 spaces total. I couldn't have gotten a parking spot if I wanted to. I have a parking permit to park on the street because parking was not available through my building.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 13:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
[quote]
I completely agree that if you live in a building with available parking, you should use it, even if you have to pay. Parking is a privilege, not a constitutional right.

The developers can then hold the residents hostage with exorbitant parking fees as the original developer of Trump did. They were charging like $400 a month for parking and you could not get a permit from the city. Eventually they lowered it since people refused to pay it.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 13:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
In all permit areas (which is all of downtown) no one can park for more than 2 hours without a parking permit. And, a resident of a high rise is not allowed to get a parking permit. So, if a resident is not allowed to get a parking permit, and that resident is parking on the street (presumably overnight and for longer than two hours) they are breaking the law and the proper agency should take action.

Actually NO ONE is breaking the law if they park overnight in a permit area. The parking regs DO allow anyone and everyone to park on the street between 5 p.m. and 8 a.m. on weekdays and throughout the weekend and holidays. You can call JCPA all you want to complain about a non-permit car parked on the street at 8 p.m., but as far as they're concerned, the car is legally parked. The permit only comes into play when you want to park on a zoned street for more than two hours between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. on a weekday. I'm not saying this is fair, but these are the regulations as they're currently written.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 13:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Lets put this up for a vote like affordable housing and rent control.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 13:19
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:

Posted on: 2014/9/11 13:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
If a resident of a high rise is parking on the street, you should be upset with the JCPA. There are strict rules about on street parking on how long anyone can park. In all permit areas (which is all of downtown) no one can park for more than 2 hours without a parking permit. And, a resident of a high rise is not allowed to get a parking permit. So, if a resident is not allowed to get a parking permit, and that resident is parking on the street (presumably overnight and for longer than two hours) they are breaking the law and the proper agency should take action. Call the JCPA and ask them to step up parking enforcement and to ticket and boot the offenders.

Or, keep typing at your keyboard, frothing at the mouth, complaining about something that has a solution towards which you can work.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 13:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Are people saying that renters and owners of new construction should not have the same rights to street parking as other residents?

No they're saying if an area that held a residential building that held 6 people is demolished and can now hold 20, that they should find a way to provide parking for natural increase of cars.

This assumes the people who lived there before had a right to free street parking. But why?

JC has plenty of parking spots in existing parking lots. It doesn't need more lots.

Population density. Before street parking wasn't horrible, but when you start cramming more and more people on the same area it changes the amount of parking needed.

Why fight it? It attracts more people to the area.

Exactly. Some people seem to think that everyone wants to ride a bike, works in Manhattan and are aging backwards. The bigger buildings are required to offer parking but all of them tag an extra fee of $200 or more. So now all those residents are parking on the street and they're getting more and more crowded. The parking in those larger buildings should be free to the residents.

If a resident of a high rise is parking on the street, you should be upset with the JCPA. There are strict rules about on street parking on how long anyone can park. In all permit areas (which is all of downtown) no one can park for more than 2 hours without a parking permit. And, a resident of a high rise is not allowed to get a parking permit. So, if a resident is not allowed to get a parking permit, and that resident is parking on the street (presumably overnight and for longer than two hours) they are breaking the law and the proper agency should take action. Call the JCPA and ask them to step up parking enforcement and to ticket and boot the offenders.

Or, keep typing at your keyboard, frothing at the mouth, complaining about something that has a solution towards which you can work.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 12:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Are people saying that renters and owners of new construction should not have the same rights to street parking as other residents?

No they're saying if an area that held a residential building that held 6 people is demolished and can now hold 20, that they should find a way to provide parking for natural increase of cars.

This assumes the people who lived there before had a right to free street parking. But why?

JC has plenty of parking spots in existing parking lots. It doesn't need more lots.

Population density. Before street parking wasn't horrible, but when you start cramming more and more people on the same area it changes the amount of parking needed.

Exactly. Some people seem to think that everyone wants to ride a bike, works in Manhattan and are aging backwards. The bigger buildings are required to offer parking but all of them tag an extra fee of $200 or more. So now all those residents are parking on the street and they're getting more and more crowded. The parking in those larger buildings should be free to the residents.

I believe it is free to the owners of apartments. But not to renters. There's the catch.

Wrong. Residents AND guests must pay for parking in all buildings. Some lots may have discounted rates for residents, and possibly for monthly renters, and some other lots may even have deeded parking spots that you can buy when you buy a unit.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 12:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Yes, as population increases so does the need for parking spaces. However, there is plenty of parking in downtown JC parking lots. What you want is free parking on the street. Not sure why you're entitled to that, though.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 11:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

I believe it is free to the owners of apartments. But not to renters. There's the catch.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 10:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2014/9/11 5:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2014/9/11 5:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
The answer is simple. The new buildings should offer free parking to their residents instead of asking for additional fees of $200 to $300 a month. If there are extra spaces since we have so many car-free people, according to some, then the building can rent those spots.

Why should they do that? Real estate in downtown JC of any kind has value since it's scarce. Which is why those that demand free public parking don't have a case.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 3:16

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017