Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
76 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 76

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 10 »

Re: Jersey City: Newark Avenue - Pedestrian Plaza
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/25 18:50
From corner of van vorst and vienna
Group:
Registered Users
I've really enjoyed getting off the train and walking around this space. Seeing other JC residents hanging at the benches with their kids, and friends, and spouses feels really good. I love the little kids zooming around on their scooters (and reserve the right to change that view if one of them ever T-bones me or my gf).

A week or so ago I had to do some work when I got home... When I got off the train, I decided to sit at the bench and do it there instead.

Also, I think the benches are kinda cool.

Posted on: 2014/9/5 16:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

LMAO needed that laugh.

Posted on: 2014/9/5 16:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Fomite wrote:
Exactly! What a bunch of Debbie downers. It's a great start, and people are enjoying the outdoors, sharing tables, talking to each other.

I presume most of the whining is sour grapes from people who don't live nearby and feel better about their own neighborhood by doing so.

Posted on: 2014/9/5 15:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 18:29
Group:
Registered Users
Exactly! What a bunch of Debbie downers. It's a great start, and people are enjoying the outdoors, sharing tables, talking to each other.

Posted on: 2014/9/5 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/28 15:24
Group:
Registered Users
The whining here is just unreal. It's a trial run in its embryonic stages. People here expect every single project to be birthed in full glorious form like Botticelli's Venus. This city has a vocal minority of whiny babies who see any progress and desperately grasp to pull it back or kill any promising projects on the vine.

This is a massive improvement to the area which will only get better with time. Of course the city and businesses aren't going to invest in permanent infrastructure while this is still a "trial run."

Posted on: 2014/9/4 22:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 18:00
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Seriously. A conceptual sort of step in the right direction, if you will ... for Pete's sake.

Posted on: 2014/9/4 20:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
A concept that seems too complex for many here is that this is a TRIAL RUN. The city will not invest in permanent changes at this time, but rather will analyze relevant data and feedback once the outdoor seating is removed for the winter. Then, should a permanent measure be approved, the city will invest in making this a more robust pedestrian plaza.

Posted on: 2014/9/4 20:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bill463 wrote:
Those silly wooden picnic tables painted obviously by amatures are pretty awful. Really really silly for all of the hype this ' lovely pedestrian plaza ' has received.

It's a trial run. Expecting a finished product is silly.

Posted on: 2014/9/4 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bill463 wrote:
Those silly wooden picnic tables painted obviously by amatures are pretty awful. Really really silly for all of the hype this ' lovely pedestrian plaza ' has received.

Your right, we should have contracted professional artists who live outside the community to supply temporary pieces for the public to utilize.

Posted on: 2014/9/4 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/9/3 23:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
The little tables would be much better than the benches that can be taken up by just a few people or a big loud group.

Posted on: 2014/9/3 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Gotta say, they need to invest in some of the same little tables and chairs that are on Broadway. That will encourage people to sit and sip their coffee and read the paper in the street. Coming home from Greeley Sq the contrast is striking. Simply an empty street is not inviting.

Looks like they use the same chairs & tables on the 16th St mall in Denver. Shade is a little tougher, but should be thought about.

Resized Image

Agreed.

Posted on: 2014/9/3 21:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

maybeMoving wrote:
I've gotta agree with user111 here. This is a total half measure. I'd like to think this is just a trial period and once they confirm the success of the pilot program they will commit to it and make it look like something other than a closed street.

Earlier on I mentioned Lincoln Road in Miami. Not necessarily envisioning Newark Ave to become the high end tourist destination that Lincoln Road is but rather a pedestrian plaza that seems intentional and fully integrated in the streetscape.

I'd like to see the road bricked over with a nice tree lined median, a fountain, benches, and letting the restaurants spread out a little. It's wishful thinking but I believe if the city made the leap of faith to commit to the idea it would truly become the destination "Restaurant Row" that's always bandied about.

Even if they did none of those things the least they can offer wifi, when I was there I was like okay the street is closed, now what? I can sit at an unattractive picnic table or stand in the middle of the road and look clueless. If there was wifi and tables you can sit and read, or do some work or homework.

At least you don't have to put up with this fiasco. Lucky you who can just stay in Greenville or Imfullofbull. Pity us poor downtowners who stroll on a street so wide we fear being knocked over by tumbleweed, watch little kids zig zag chaotically without fear of getting hit by a car while their parents take videos as the first training wheel is removed, bump into so many friends that we fear we will become alcoholics from all the 'hey, let's sit down and have a drink', and mutter humbug from seeing all the young fathers taking care of their kids realizing that the dire predictions of the death of the American family may be wrong. Man, some people have all the luck.

Okay old man!

Posted on: 2014/9/3 21:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

maybeMoving wrote:
I've gotta agree with user111 here. This is a total half measure. I'd like to think this is just a trial period and once they confirm the success of the pilot program they will commit to it and make it look like something other than a closed street.

Earlier on I mentioned Lincoln Road in Miami. Not necessarily envisioning Newark Ave to become the high end tourist destination that Lincoln Road is but rather a pedestrian plaza that seems intentional and fully integrated in the streetscape.

I'd like to see the road bricked over with a nice tree lined median, a fountain, benches, and letting the restaurants spread out a little. It's wishful thinking but I believe if the city made the leap of faith to commit to the idea it would truly become the destination "Restaurant Row" that's always bandied about.

Even if they did none of those things the least they can offer wifi, when I was there I was like okay the street is closed, now what? I can sit at an unattractive picnic table or stand in the middle of the road and look clueless. If there was wifi and tables you can sit and read, or do some work or homework.

At least you don't have to put up with this fiasco. Lucky you who can just stay in Greenville or Imfullofbull. Pity us poor downtowners who stroll on a street so wide we fear being knocked over by tumbleweed, watch little kids zig zag chaotically without fear of getting hit by a car while their parents take videos as the first training wheel is removed, bump into so many friends that we fear we will become alcoholics from all the 'hey, let's sit down and have a drink', and mutter humbug from seeing all the young fathers taking care of their kids realizing that the dire predictions of the death of the American family may be wrong. Man, some people have all the luck.

Posted on: 2014/9/3 20:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Gotta say, they need to invest in some of the same little tables and chairs that are on Broadway. That will encourage people to sit and sip their coffee and read the paper in the street. Coming home from Greeley Sq the contrast is striking. Simply an empty street is not inviting.

Looks like they use the same chairs & tables on the 16th St mall in Denver. Shade is a little tougher, but should be thought about.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/9/3 20:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:

Really? The least they could do was contract for an new IT system to piggy back off on the non-existent public network in the area? You don't just throw up a public wifi spot that supports hundreds of connections blocks away from the nearest public facility.

I guess you were the spotted clueless cow I saw standing in the middle of the road ... have fun!

That's a fine rebuttal there. It's not my fault your idea sounds nice but is difficult and expensive to implement. I think they should have offered free ponies as well.

Posted on: 2014/9/3 20:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

maybeMoving wrote:

Really? The least they could do was contract for an new IT system to piggy back off on the non-existent public network in the area? You don't just throw up a public wifi spot that supports hundreds of connections blocks away from the nearest public facility.

I guess you were the spotted clueless cow I saw standing in the middle of the road ... have fun!

Posted on: 2014/9/3 20:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

maybeMoving wrote:

Posted on: 2014/9/3 20:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

maybeMoving wrote:

Posted on: 2014/9/3 19:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Newark Avenue will never be Lincoln Road (at least we can hope it will never be overrun by Euro-trash hipsters and pouty Russian models). But it's worth remembering that Lincoln Road in the 70s was a run-down row of empty storefronts and bums sleeping in the sun. It took time for it to become what it is now. Give this Newark Avenue thing a chance before you start calling it a failure.

Also, Lincoln Road is on Miami Beach, not in Miami. It's only a distinction to the natives, but we get crazed when people get that wrong.

Posted on: 2014/9/3 19:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

maybeMoving wrote:

If the city had made the leap of faith and put forth the plan you suggest we would have no pedestrian plaza at all. It only went through because it was a trial run.

Posted on: 2014/9/3 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/9/3 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Yes, its like opening a park with NO benches or trees. Its half ass and which is expected from this town. IMO its just a closed street, not a pedestrian plaza or better yet a no car zone, nothing more.

So what would you have done to a street that is still open to car traffic for a good portion of most days? They can't force restaurants to buy more tables and big awnings. They can't open up the new places that haven't finished building. They can't completely redo the facades of existing buildings. They can't magically transport exciting or interesting retail shops to the street. They are pretty much limited to closing the street and adding some seating.

I get it, it's not perfect, but it's a pretty big step for a city that is still full of people who bitch about losing a parking space clear across town from where they live.

Posted on: 2014/9/3 18:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I agree that it could be better than what it is now.. pretty lame.. When this was first introduced as an idea, I pictured something more like this... ..

Resized Image

Beyoglu, Turkey, where the photo above is

However, the first time I went it was just unruly children and monster strollers and basic $hit stores I can find on Ocean ave with a few pizzerias that I wont eat at...

So you expected complete turnover of the stores as soon as it opened? .
Yes, its like opening a park with NO benches or trees. Its half ass and which is expected from this town. IMO its just a closed street, not a pedestrian plaza or better yet a no car zone, nothing more.

plus it's downtown, so therefore, you hate it

If this was on GV I would hate it, its not well thought out, and boring. It does not matter to me where its located. For all who think this is fab way to spend your time, enjoy it.

Posted on: 2014/9/3 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I agree that it could be better than what it is now.. pretty lame.. When this was first introduced as an idea, I pictured something more like this... ..

Resized Image

However, the first time I went it was just unruly children and monster strollers and basic $hit stores I can find on Ocean ave with a few pizzerias that I wont eat at...

plus it's downtown, so therefore, you hate it

Posted on: 2014/9/3 18:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/9/3 18:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
Just a hunch, but is it possible that because the city is running this as a pilot/test program for traffic ? that vendors and restaurants aren't really committing to expanding? Or aren't being allowed to expand at this time? It's not like food trucks will be allowed to park themselves outside of established restaurants, but it'd be nice for restaurants to double their seating (within means) and add more public seating at the same time.

Roman Nose, Sawadee, Two Boots, and Word had all set up sidewalk seating before the pedestrian plaza so my guess is you're right, they don't want to invest in more seating until the change is permanent.

LITM appears to be the only place that has expanded their seating and all the tables have been full whenever I've walked by.

Posted on: 2014/9/3 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Just a hunch, but is it possible that because the city is running this as a pilot/test program for traffic ? that vendors and restaurants aren't really committing to expanding? Or aren't being allowed to expand at this time? It's not like food trucks will be allowed to park themselves outside of established restaurants, but it'd be nice for restaurants to double their seating (within means) and add more public seating at the same time.

Posted on: 2014/9/3 17:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Resized Image

So you expected complete turnover of the stores as soon as it opened? That's realistic. The street has 5 restaurants under construction right now which should help change the streetscape some.

Posted on: 2014/9/3 17:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I agree that it could be better than what it is now.. pretty lame..

Since it's in it's trial period, I think the estabilishments in the vicinity are hestiant to invest in the outdoor ambiance. In all likelihood once the city commits to this long term, I think the 'pedestrian plaza' will be much better next spring.

Posted on: 2014/9/3 17:38

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017