Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
81 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 81

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: NYT: "Brunswick Towers was a possibility -but Jersey City didn’t seem nearly as exciting as Hoboken"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
LOL I'm aware of the clientele at Wal Mart, but this couple is obviously not worried about that. I meant they can walk there for errands, which is convenient, much like many of us in DTJC walk to Target. For the record, I much prefer Target and I think the audience there is way different.

Posted on: 2014/9/5 20:12

Re: NYT: "Brunswick Towers was a possibility -but Jersey City didn’t seem nearly as exciting as Hoboken"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

It's funny how many of the JClisters talk about Bayonne the way Hoboken residents talk about JC!

Very true! I think I read once that the definition of happiness is having someone to look down on.

Posted on: 2014/8/28 13:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
22nd St is a quality butcher shop, where they will custom cut things for you-the butterflied whole turkey breasts they did for us came out great when we stuffed and rolled them. Good specials.

And in Bayonne you have Benanti's Italian deli, which edges Andrea Salumeria in my book for best Italian sub in the area. The town mini golf course is also a block away. I like the Bayonne Shop Rite a lot. The section of the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway is short, and hard to find the first time, but has great vistas once you figure out where it is. The Carnegie library is a great space too.

It's funny how many of the JClisters talk about Bayonne the way Hoboken residents talk about JC!

Posted on: 2014/8/28 10:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:
As for the butcher shop, can you provide the name/info of the one you referenced?

I like 22nd Market

from time to time I go to Senerchia Meat & Deli

User1111: Thank you for the link and information! I will try to stop by at some point.

GrovePath: a few weeks ago, there was a Eastern European older woman manning a pierogies station at the Monday night Grove Street Plaza farmer market. Her selection was good and the prices were decent. I ended up buying 6 pierogies to prepare a very filling dinner for my daughter and me. Good stuff!

Posted on: 2014/8/28 3:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/27 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
As for the butcher shop, can you provide the name/info of the one you referenced?

I like 22nd Market

from time to time I go to Senerchia Meat & Deli

Posted on: 2014/8/27 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
We do Stop & shop sometimes -- but tend more towards Trader Joe's & Whole Foods in Edgewater -- really there are so many nice stores around here now...

We've been vegan for the past few years -- but we use to go to the butcher on Broadway -- the one with the steam tabled foods... I think it is this place...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/senerchia-meat-and-deli-bayonne

We are now looking for a place to get hot boiled potato & onion perogies -- (or any other veggie perogies) --we're going to try...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/alex-and-terrys-deli-bayonne

http://www.yelp.com/biz/warsiw-deli-bayonne

By the way, there's a lot of YELP review controversy surrounding this so called Health Food establishment in Bayonne.. very funny yelp reviews...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/andrews-project-bayonne

oh -- and a great old time bike store (Father & Sons)

http://eddyscyclecity.wordpress.com/

Posted on: 2014/8/27 17:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I rode into the city with this couple this morning, they were very nice, I recognized them right away.

Did you needle her about the hick/cute comment?

Quote:

I like Bayonne for what it is, I gym there and shop there, great supermarkets and butcher shop.

They do have that nice Stop & Shop, which I sometimes visit. Also, their Lowe's is staffed with better employees (more knowledgeable, friendlier, etc.) As for the butcher shop, can you provide the name/info of the one you referenced? I am always looking for a good local butcher, and none can be found in my neighborhood or DTJC.

Posted on: 2014/8/27 17:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I rode into the city with this couple this morning, they were very nice, I recognized them right away. I think they will fit well in Bayonne they were late 30's early 40's they were not party people. I like Bayonne for what it is, I gym there and shop there, great supermarkets and butcher shop.

Posted on: 2014/8/27 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
I don't really see what the fuss is about.

Jersey City is not ideal for everyone, and the NYT runs plenty of articles about people moving to JC. Just the other day, they did one about people leaving Brooklyn and moving to JC instead.

Their commute before must have really sucked, though, if HBLR -> PATH -> MTA is faster. I'm guessing that's going to get old fast.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Love the correction.....

CORRECTION - August 25, 2014

"An earlier version of this article misquoted Angela Putman when she described her new neighborhood, Bayonne. She said, ?It is really cute,? not ?It is really hick."

Posted on: 2014/8/26 0:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
To be fair to the lady, I read it as JSQ isn't as exciting as Hoboken, not all of JC.

I think everyone understood that was the comparison. And, it doesn't make ANY SENSE at all to make that comparison. It's like saying the Empire State Building is taller than city hall. It's a stupid comparison.

Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
One thing I will say, after looking up where the building is, it's walking distance to the shopping center where Wal-Mart is. So if you're looking for convenience and suburbia, it's not a bad deal for this couple, versus non-DTJC.

Having the Walmart close by is a PLUS? Have you seen the people who shop at Walmart?

Posted on: 2014/8/25 21:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
To be fair to the lady, I read it as JSQ isn't as exciting as Hoboken, not all of JC (unless you're REALLY into Indian food, it's probably a fair thing to say). But you could read it as a diss to JC.

One thing I will say, after looking up where the building is, it's walking distance to the shopping center where Wal-Mart is. So if you're looking for convenience and suburbia, it's not a bad deal for this couple, versus non-DTJC. JSQ has the train, but you need to haul on PT or drive to get to anything besides Indian and Filippino and fast food or bodegas.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 18:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

margel wrote:
Correction: August 25, 2014
An earlier version of this article misquoted Angela Putman when she described her new neighborhood, Bayonne. She said, ?It is really cute,? not ?It is really hick.?

This is one of the funniest NYTimes corrections I've seen in a long, long time!

That IS super funny. I do wonder how they managed to mangle THAT quote. Was it an intentional dig by the writer and/or editor? Or, perhaps the subject DID say that and then realized the inappropriateness of it once printed? From hick to cute is a bit much to chalk it off to an autocorrect or typing mistake.

Yeah, I suspect this is an example of there being too much honesty in the original quotation. Plus maybe an angry email from the mayor of Bayonne.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

margel wrote:
An earlier version of this article misquoted Angela Putman when she described her new neighborhood, Bayonne. She said, ?It is really cute,? not ?It is really hick.?

That IS super funny. I do wonder how they managed to mangle THAT quote. Was it an intentional dig by the writer and/or editor? Or, perhaps the subject DID say that and then realized the inappropriateness of it once printed? From hick to cute is a bit much to chalk it off to an autocorrect or typing mistake.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

margel wrote:

+1! But they had it right the first time. Whenever I'm in Bayonne I think it's where circus sideshow performers go when they retire.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 18:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/3 19:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/25 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:
yeah i moved to bayonne once trying to save some money (dont ask) and was ready to hang myself.

This.

I give them about three months until that new town patina wears off. Bayonne was the weirdest place I have ever lived. Loved the county park, La Guardiola's restaurant and Al Richard's Chocolate - that's it.

I swear there are pod people living there.

I would add one more place to your list: El Aguila Dorada. It has been mentioned and discussed here in JCLIST before. That place is absolutely legit. Real Mexican food, cooked the real way (lard! and SUPER slow) and dirt cheap prices. Go BEFORE showering, because you will come out smelling like a line cook at a fast food joint (the smells will permeate your hair and clothes) but it is worth it.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
Quote:
They were secretly relieved to discover they were second in line: Jersey City had not stacked up well against Hoboken. ?You don?t have the cute restaurants with all the little patios,? Ms. Putman said. ?It definitely looked industrialish.?

Comparing JSQ against hoboken and you wonder why it's not as nice? Your "months" of research didnt tell you there is also newport and paulus hook in jersey city? Time to get your money back for that PhD....

Also $2500 for a 2br in bayonne? overpaid by about 33%. 2BR go for $1300 average, new construction "luxury" is around $1800.

clueless hippies...

I thought the same thing! Comparing JSQ to Hoboken is about as dishonest a comparison as you can devise. Perhaps Hoboken to DTJC is a more balanced comparison. I wouldn't even compare Hoboken to Paulus Hook. Paulus has beautiful housing, a few really good restaurants and bars, and it's also nice and quiet. Hoboken is overran with people, noise, bars and restaurants. Two very different places.

And, as pointed out, $2500 for a 2-bed in Bayonne is way too high. You can pay that in JC and still get to ride the light rail.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
yeah i moved to bayonne once trying to save some money (dont ask) and was ready to hang myself.

This.

I give them about three months until that new town patina wears off. Bayonne was the weirdest place I have ever lived. Loved the county park, La Guardiola's restaurant and Al Richard's Chocolate - that's it.

I swear there are pod people living there.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
These articles are mostly fluff advertisement for the buildings the home seeker moves into.

Anytime I read an real estate article where the building or development is mentioned I don't take it seriously.
Good luck to them!

Posted on: 2014/8/25 16:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
"It is really hick, insanely quiet and everyone is so nice and knows each other."

A PhD in communication and this is how she chooses to refer to her new neighbors and place of residence? Yikes.

And, for the record, she IS right. I have been to Bayonne often and it is a sad looking place, with lots of hicks and what people would often call "white trash". Anytime I go there, I feel like I traveled to a backwards Southern town. I have good friends that live there, but anytime they want to go out, have a nice dinner or do anything other than be home, they travel to JC or NYC.

yeah i moved to bayonne once trying to save some money (dont ask) and was ready to hang myself. The whole area is just...sad. and dead. With boarded up stores and the few remaining still open look even worse. A lot of weird people walking around too.

When my parents visited me, first thing they said is what are you doing here? this town is so depressing.

Ended up breaking my 1 year contract, losing the security deposit, and hauled ass back to jc after 5 months. Just couldnt take it anymore. Also my neighbors called police because i had my tv on (wasnt loud, just watching news) at 9PM!!!

Posted on: 2014/8/25 15:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
Yeah, my reaction too. They were probably priced out of downtown JC.

And, of course, Hoboken as well.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
They were secretly relieved to discover they were second in line: Jersey City had not stacked up well against Hoboken. ?You don?t have the cute restaurants with all the little patios,? Ms. Putman said. ?It definitely looked industrialish.?

Comparing JSQ against hoboken and you wonder why it's not as nice? Your "months" of research didnt tell you there is also newport and paulus hook in jersey city? Time to get your money back for that PhD....

Also $2500 for a 2br in bayonne? overpaid by about 33%. 2BR go for $1300 average, new construction "luxury" is around $1800.

clueless hippies...

Posted on: 2014/8/25 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
"It is really hick, insanely quiet and everyone is so nice and knows each other."

A PhD in communication and this is how she chooses to refer to her new neighbors and place of residence? Yikes.

And, for the record, she IS right. I have been to Bayonne often and it is a sad looking place, with lots of hicks and what people would often call "white trash". Anytime I go there, I feel like I traveled to a backwards Southern town. I have good friends that live there, but anytime they want to go out, have a nice dinner or do anything other than be home, they travel to JC or NYC.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
?Bayonne has that little bit of suburbia that I was missing,? Ms. Putman said. ?We?ve become the people who say, ?We are going into the city.? ?

They're happy being bridge and tunnel people from the burbs, def not city people.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 15:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
From Roosevelt Island to Bayonne but Jersey City wasn't "exciting enough". These people clearly have their finger on the pulse of what's cool.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 14:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, my reaction too. They were probably priced out of downtown JC.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I read that a few days ago and was all "Huh? Bayonne??"

Posted on: 2014/8/25 14:26

NYT: "Brunswick Towers was a possibility -but Jersey City didn’t seem nearly as exciting as Hoboken"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/25 14:16

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password: