Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
128 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 128

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 »

Re: UBER - car service in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Uber & Lyft = app-assisted hitchhiking. Just google "Uber safety" and there are a number of hair-raising issues and incidents. No thanks. I'll pay the extra bucks for a properly licensed, regulated and insured taxi or car service.

By that logic, isn't calling a car service phone-assisted hitchhiking? Uber cars are licensed, regulated, and insured so not sure how you are making any distinction other than that all Uber drivers have full background checks done on them (same CANNOT be said about limo and yellow/white taxis) and the entire trip once you are picked up is logged, which is a huge safety feature for women riding alone.

So then why are Uber, Lyft and Sidecar fighting so hard against being regulated in every city they operate? Their standard argument is that they're a tech company and NOT a car service. My understanding of how they operate is that any schmuck with a decent car and a driver's license can become a driver. They often call themselves a "peer-to-peer ride-sharing service." Tech speak for "get into a car with a total stranger." The background checks they do on drivers are cursory at best, and I was under the impression that drivers are carrying nothing more than their personal insurance - which raises a big question of whether their insurance companies would pay up in an accident if they found out they were using their vehicles as a taxi service. And when something does go wrong, Uber typically tries to weasel out of any responsibility. The $1 "safe ride" fee Uber charges is laughable. It guarantees nothing, and my safety is worth more than $1.

I actually feel pretty safe in NYC yellow taxis. The TLC does a pretty decent job regulating them, and all drivers have their hack license and a medallion number displayed so that if something does go wrong, I know I have recourse through the TLC. The lack of regulation is also why I generally don't use JC taxis. The longest ride I ever took in one was between Grove Street and the Heights - that's pretty much my limit. I don't stay out into the wee hours, so taxis/car services aren't a huge expense for me. The only time I ever really need one is early morning or late night trips to/from the airport. Then I'll call the corporate car service my company uses and tell them it's a personal ride I want to charge to my own credit card. The airport trip is perhaps $10 more than Uber, but I'm fine paying that.

Posted on: 2014/8/20 13:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Uber & Lyft = app-assisted hitchhiking. Just google "Uber safety" and there are a number of hair-raising issues and incidents. No thanks. I'll pay the extra bucks for a properly licensed, regulated and insured taxi or car service.

Because I'm sure that no taxi or car service ever wound up in an accident. Also the taxis in Jersey City are just downright frightening - they are basically all taxis that used to be driven in New York City that started to fall apart but still deemed fit to be driven in the nearby suburbs. I have yet to ride in an Uber or Lyft car that was falling apart. Also, Lyft requires their drivers to have $1 million in liability insurance. Taxicab drivers, as I understand it, can carry much less.

Posted on: 2014/8/20 4:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:

By that logic, isn't calling a car service phone-assisted hitchhiking? Uber cars are licensed, regulated, and insured so not sure how you are making any distinction other than that all Uber drivers have full background checks done on them (same CANNOT be said about limo and yellow/white taxis) and the entire trip once you are picked up is logged, which is a huge safety feature for women riding alone.

Posted on: 2014/8/20 3:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I don't use A-1 or any of those taxis on Grove Street if I'm traveling more than a couple of miles. I once got into one of those taxis and there was an old NYC fare chart still posted in the back. The starting fare was $1 if you want some idea how old that cab was. Taxis that are too decrepit for NYC apparently are perfectly acceptable for JC. Even Hoboken has better standards and regulation of taxis.

Posted on: 2014/8/20 3:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Well, as for safety I have taken A-1 taxis and I thought their car was going to crumble much faster than the pulaski skyway...

Posted on: 2014/8/20 2:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/20 2:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I have used Uber and will keep using them, at the same time I plan to use Lyft next time to make sure competition remains...

Posted on: 2014/8/20 2:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/4 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Uber is the BEST. Will never use the Taxi's or Car Services again. Prices are even cheaper and cars are always available especially Downtown.

They even have a $30 promotion credit going on right now for new people downloading the app.

Uber

use promo code: m9d0s

Posted on: 2014/8/20 1:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
I just read today that Uber will be offering a car share program in certain cities while they test it out, and you will be able to split the fare if you and your Uber car match are going to the same area. I bet that Uber will be busy for people trying to get back to JC during those late weekend nights.

Posted on: 2014/8/7 0:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
I love Uber to pieces. But I've had mixed results going from Manhattan to JC. Does Lyft go to JC from Manhattan? I just joined Lyft but can't figure out if they do that. I'll be needing a ride tomorrow from Manhattan, probably around PM rush hour unfortunately. Does it make a difference which service I use?

Posted on: 2014/8/7 0:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/4 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Uber is the BEST. Will never use the Taxi's or Car Services again. Prices are even cheaper and cars are always available especially Downtown.

They even have a $30 promotion credit going on right now for new people downloading the app.

Uber

use promo code: m9d0s

Posted on: 2014/6/21 11:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The rates are almost the same with about a 25% tip in JC as regular cabs. This is based on countless rides from the grove street path with the white cabs vs a few rides with uber. Even if uber was a little more, it would be well worth it.

Posted on: 2014/6/5 11:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Hey, at least you got to ride in style!

Posted on: 2014/6/4 16:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
You guys are both absolutely right. It was the Black Car which I chose on purpose since the wait was much longer for UberX. We take their black cars back from Manhattan and even with the $20 tunnel charge it only ends up being about $50. I figured it would be around $10 for the 1.5 miles of our trip. Lesson learned. I'll give UberX a whirl next time.

Posted on: 2014/6/4 16:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
What mle267 said. No way that an UberX ride from McGinley Sq to downtown is ringing up to $18, unless you had surge pricing in effect, or the more expensive Uber options were used (black car, or SUV).

Posted on: 2014/6/4 14:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/29 15:26
From The Heights!
Group:
Registered Users
Are you sure you didn't accidentally hit Uber black car? I have done that a few times. I take uberX all over the place- so the $18 from McGinley Square to downtown is way too much. Yesterday I went from Lincoln Park to 54th Street in West New York for $22- double check the bill you received- and if the route is suspect-looking, contact the uber customer service. I have had great results with them!

Posted on: 2014/6/4 12:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
I've been a huge fan of using Uber to get back from Manhattan to JC and its saved me a ton of money. I figured I'd give it a shot to get home from a friends BBQ last weekend by McGinley Sq back to downtown.

We took a cab there from the Grove PATH for $6.50 plus tip. Uber home from the party was $18 to Wayne St.

Uber is great from the city but I definitely won't be using it within JC again.

Posted on: 2014/6/3 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/ ... d_mounting_criticism.html

Ride-share services in NJ like Uber, see sharp growth and mounting criticism along with police inspection checks.

Posted on: 2014/6/3 14:04
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
I've used UBER a number of times to get to/from EWR with great results. I've never experienced surge pricing, but the other day at 7.30 am I was demonstrating the app to a neighbor and got a message that surge pricing was in effect. The good news is that they clearly tell you about the upcharge and you can make your own decision about using them.

As for the driver taking the "long way around", the drivers have always asked me which route I'd like to take. If you're coming to/from New York, the $20 surcharge applies regardless of the route he takes.

Posted on: 2014/5/8 14:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/20 18:54
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

downright wrote:
Just got a $30 credit for signing up with Uber. Thinking of using it to get to EWR this coming Monday morning. But since you don't reserve the car in advance, how do I know that I won't get hit with surge pricing? Having never taken Uber before, would I even need to worry about surge pricing going from downtown JC to EWR on a Monday morning?

You don't and that is the biggest downfall of the service. I use it all of the time and generally love it, but there have been a few times where I had been expecting to rely on Uber for a ride home late night only to find Surge pricing of 2x+ to be in effect. You should pretty much expect surge pricing to be in play whenever there is bad weather and during prime time (b/w 7 and midnight on weekends).

I have used Uber to get to EWR many times in the morning and have not had surge pricing come into play yet...same for taking Uber from EWR back home...just know that it might there.

Posted on: 2014/5/8 14:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I stopped using UBER, I am now sticking with UBERX less surprises with prices and very affordable.

Posted on: 2014/5/8 12:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

downright wrote:
Just got a $30 credit for signing up with Uber. Thinking of using it to get to EWR this coming Monday morning. But since you don't reserve the car in advance, how do I know that I won't get hit with surge pricing? Having never taken Uber before, would I even need to worry about surge pricing going from downtown JC to EWR on a Monday morning?

I'm not familiar with all the ins and outs of the pricing, but my wife has taken Uber to the airport on weekday mornings without getting hit with surge pricing.

Posted on: 2014/5/8 12:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/8 12:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bjay wrote:
The surge factor is a multiplier on the base fare. Anonymess said the surge was $1.75 but no, that surge factor means 1.75 TIMES the base fare. And then the $20 NJ surcharge is on top of that. The NJ surcharge is not subject to the surge multiplier.

You have to be careful with it.

Yes, I finally figured that out, no thanks to Uber. They only explained it in very general terms. However, they didn't address my complaint that the driver took the long way or the $20 surcharge. The surcharge includes the toll, right? They did take off 25% though bringing the fare down to $95.

I heard somewhere that if you give a driver less than 4 stars, you might hurt your chances of getting future rides. Is there any truth to that?

Posted on: 2014/5/5 23:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/25 21:48
From Van Vorst Park area
Group:
Registered Users
The surge factor is a multiplier on the base fare. Anonymess said the surge was $1.75 but no, that surge factor means 1.75 TIMES the base fare. And then the $20 NJ surcharge is on top of that. The NJ surcharge is not subject to the surge multiplier.

You have to be careful with it.

Posted on: 2014/5/5 23:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
What I find amazing my coworker lives in Brooklyn on Kings Highway and her fare from the office (Lower East Side) is $39.00 and my fare to Greenville is $41.00. My fare in a yellow cab is $60 to $70.

Posted on: 2014/5/5 19:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Just to clarify: the surge rate is the multiplying factor on expected fare? I have heard similar stories from people commuting from NYC at peak who got a huge bill for not paying attention to this. On the other hand as said on this thread, it looks like supply rarely affects rate for travel within our state/area boundaries.

Posted on: 2014/5/3 14:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
I think one has to exercise some care when using Uber. I didn't. I took a car from 23rd St. and 6th Ave, NYC to the Lafayette section yesterday, Friday, at 4pm. $126!! I was warned when I made the reservation that there would be a "surge" charge at a rate of $1.75. I had no idea what this meant nor did I have much of an understanding of how the fare works.

1. take uberX, not uber - it's cheaper and just as good
2. Surge pricing means you're going to pay anywhere from 2-4X as much. It tells you that on the screen and you have to click accept. If you do so, expect to pay a lot.

The surge pricing is the one thing Uber has been criticized most heavily for. Apparently their New YEars Eve prices were insane.

Posted on: 2014/5/3 14:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I think one has to exercise some care when using Uber. I didn't. I took a car from 23rd St. and 6th Ave, NYC to the Lafayette section yesterday, Friday, at 4pm. $126!! I was warned when I made the reservation that there would be a "surge" charge at a rate of $1.75. I had no idea what this meant nor did I have much of an understanding of how the fare works. But I was in a rush and blindly accepted it.

In addition, the driver took a long way saying it would be cheaper because it would be faster... he went all the way west to the West Side Highway to go downtown. Anyway, we got caught in ridiculous traffic on the highway and everywhere. The driver did ask if was ok to use the highway. Although I expressed my concern - like, why not use 9th Ave. if there was too much traffic on 7th Ave. - I haven't driven during rush hour for a number of years and told him I'd leave it to his judgment. I don't know if there was an intent to inflate the bill or we just got a bad break.

And why do they charge $20 for a toll that costs $13? Anyway, I've written to them asking for explanations. I think I might stick to using them only in JC and take private cars from NYC to JC when needed. I was carrying a computer; that's why I needed a car.

Posted on: 2014/5/3 13:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/25 18:50
From corner of van vorst and vienna
Group:
Registered Users
Used it last night for the first time, coming home from the East Village to the Van Vorst area.

-used UberX
-the wait was 1 minute. Maybe less
-the car, a Camry, was immaculate
-the driver didn't know how to get to the Holland Tunnel. From Chrystie and Houston
-With the $20 promo code, the ride was $28.

Except for having to direct the driver to the Holland (and needing to pop in [*edit: ear buds] to "work" to get him to stop talking), this was a hassle-free and comfortable way to get home late at night. I will use it again.

Posted on: 2014/3/28 16:43

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017