Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Goods & Greens replaces DOCO Market in HP - CLOSED
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
It already has, signs up in the window today. That business was a few doors down from there on that block, guess they are doing well to move to the bigger spot. Good for them.
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
Photography studio

I really hope this doesn't come to pass.

Posted on: 2014/9/2 1:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
The place that is amazing is Christos, they manage to stock a few pieces of a ridiculous assortment of stuff.

Christo's are awesome because they understand the community they serve.
- Pre-work coffee and breakfast - covered.
- Slice of pizza, hot food, deli for lunch - covered.
- After-work essentials like milk, bread, coffee - covered.
And they have McNair right next door.

I've always thought a UK-style mini supermarket/ convenience store would knock it out of the park locally. Think Fresh Direct or Peapod style delivery, coupled with the ability to dynamically respond to local community tastes and needs. That way they could give us what we want - and not what they think we want. The added benefit of a Fresh Direct is they could layaway online orders for pickup.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-25762466

Posted on: 2014/8/31 9:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
Photography studio

I really hope this doesn't come to pass.

Posted on: 2014/8/31 5:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Photography studio

Posted on: 2014/8/30 22:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/18 11:36
Group:
Registered Users
would love to see mod cup open a cafe in this spot, but i doubt that'll happen.

Posted on: 2014/8/29 16:55

Re: Brooklyn Chef's Goods & Greens replaces DOCO Market in HP
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/25 18:50
From corner of van vorst and vienna
Group:
Registered Users
Like devilsadvocate, I shopped or attempted to shop there about a dozen times in both incarnations. Probably more in the old incarnation, because those people at least carried seltzer consistently. In the newer incarnation, it's fair to say that I was able to make one purchase out of 10, and for the rest I'd have to go elsewhere for that onion or can of beans. Then I stopped going because it was enough out of my way to make the inability to make a simple purchase very irritating.

The little markets on Newark Ave are well stocked.

Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

hitchcock wrote:
I really wanted to support this place, in this incarnation and the former one. But seriously, every time I went in for the most basic of basics, they didn't have it. Bag of rice. Olive oil. Seltzer. Can of black beans. Yellow onion!

Quote:

brewster wrote:
If you can't depend on them for milk and eggs, that's why they failed.

It sounds like you did support it. How many time did you shop there ?

I personally shopped or attempted to shop at the old and the new place something like a dozen times. Many times I bought only a few things or nothing and ended up going to another store afterward.

Posted on: 2014/8/27 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bill463 wrote:
I really like the cereal bar concept! You could have a wall of milk. Fruit area. I think it could catch on. I say try it!

As silly as it may sound, I think it has good potential. It is simple, and the everyday operational costs should be low (very little fresh ingredients to stock and manage, other than milk, perhaps some sugar and some bananas for those inclined to adulterate their cereal). In all fairness, it is not an entirely novel concept. A pair of guys gave it a try and currently run two outlets on a similar concept; and, there was an indie movie (Flakes) that includes a restaurant of the same concept that acts as a backdrop for the (flimsy) plot. If I had a ton of money to sink into this idea, I would give it a go. I think many people around my age (just shy of 40!) have a nostalgic attachment and relation to boxed cereal.

Posted on: 2014/8/27 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
I really like the cereal bar concept! You could have a wall of milk. Fruit area. I think it could catch on. I say try it!

Posted on: 2014/8/27 2:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/16 12:23
Group:
Registered Users
Gotcha! Yeah, completely talking about the wrong thing. Good luck to the organic market.

Quote:

nemobeatz wrote:
I believe he was talking about the market NEAR UR. UR itself seems to be doing pretty well, don't think they're going anywhere anytime soon!

Quote:

immigrationlawyer wrote:
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
That's why I think the new Organic Market thing by Union Republic is going to go under. I've walked in and they have lots of specialty items but no vegetables or fruits right now, and I'm not sure where they would fit them when they are able to. And yet they have a huge display of charcoal up front. Why would you stock giant bags of charcoal in a shop that size? Stock something that people are going to actually buy. Is someone going to carry that 40lb sack of charcoal home?

Haven't been in there in a few weeks, but i would imagine the charcoal is for people who want to buy their meat and grill at home. I highly doubt they're expecting big $ from the fridge off to the side that sells random specialty items. I've probably spent more money at Union Republic since they opened than any restaurant in JC. I've bought meat several times and have eaten there a handful of times. I've also enjoyed their art exhibit a few months back. I hope they survive. One of the few unique and good restaurant establishments that has opened recently in JC.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
I believe he was talking about the market NEAR UR. UR itself seems to be doing pretty well, don't think they're going anywhere anytime soon!

Quote:

immigrationlawyer wrote:
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
That's why I think the new Organic Market thing by Union Republic is going to go under. I've walked in and they have lots of specialty items but no vegetables or fruits right now, and I'm not sure where they would fit them when they are able to. And yet they have a huge display of charcoal up front. Why would you stock giant bags of charcoal in a shop that size? Stock something that people are going to actually buy. Is someone going to carry that 40lb sack of charcoal home?

Haven't been in there in a few weeks, but i would imagine the charcoal is for people who want to buy their meat and grill at home. I highly doubt they're expecting big $ from the fridge off to the side that sells random specialty items. I've probably spent more money at Union Republic since they opened than any restaurant in JC. I've bought meat several times and have eaten there a handful of times. I've also enjoyed their art exhibit a few months back. I hope they survive. One of the few unique and good restaurant establishments that has opened recently in JC.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bill463 wrote:
So, any suggestions for the next business? What would work there?

Honestly, I think a good organic store there would work well, but it would need to be well executed.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 18:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/16 12:23
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:

Posted on: 2014/8/26 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Bill463 wrote:

This could be a great spot for my cereal bar idea/concept. Alas, I don't think I could clear enough each month to pay the rent on such a prominent location. I need a tiny spot in a well transited street close to residential areas. So much for my man-child ideas!

The space next to Rolon's bar on Erie is again for rent. It is very small.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 18:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/26 18:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

hitchcock wrote:
I really wanted to support this place, in this incarnation and the former one. But seriously, every time I went in for the most basic of basics, they didn't have it. Bag of rice. Olive oil. Seltzer. Can of black beans. Yellow onion!

Quote:

brewster wrote:

I personally shopped or attempted to shop at the old and the new place something like a dozen times. Many times I bought only a few things or nothing and ended up going to another store afterward.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hitchcock wrote:

Exactly right.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hitchcock wrote:

Quote:

brewster wrote:

Posted on: 2014/8/26 17:01
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bill463 wrote:

This could be a great spot for my cereal bar idea/concept. Alas, I don't think I could clear enough each month to pay the rent on such a prominent location. I need a tiny spot in a well transited street close to residential areas. So much for my man-child ideas!

Posted on: 2014/8/26 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/26 15:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/25 18:50
From corner of van vorst and vienna
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

brewster wrote:

Posted on: 2014/8/25 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MattSchapiro wrote:
Finally, we have a small-business owner who understands what it takes to succeed in this location.

Really?

Posted on: 2014/8/25 14:54

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
The place that is amazing is Christos, they manage to stock a few pieces of a ridiculous assortment of stuff.

+1 For Christos; I can't believe how amazing they are for such a tiny space. There's even items for sale you don't see; they'll sell you whatever produce/etc. they use to make their prepared items (a head of lettuce, for example).

Posted on: 2014/8/25 1:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
I walked pass this afternoon, place looks about 85% cleared out. Seems strange, I was just talking to the owner (Paul?) a month ago and he had all these plans for expanding the inventory to include some great locally, ethically sourced items.

Not strange to me. Your logic is backwards. Goods and Greens closed even sooner BECAUSE of the plans for expanding the inventory to include some great locally, ethically sourced items, Not DESPITE of those plans.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 1:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
The problem isn't that people aren't affluent enough or that no one has interest in their goods. I'm their exact target market. I love organic food, good lattes, sandwiches, etc. and I'm willing to pay for it. Yet, I have never spent all that much money at that store. The original store had slow (and sometimes outright poor) service, poor selection (for both sandwiches and groceries) and chronically ran out of things. Their latte was bad and they would often overcharge for it (omg, you wanted an iced late with little ice, so that means more milk so we have to charge you an extra $2! What?). Several times I had to outright teach them how to make an iced latte (you need to make espresso, not just dump cold coffee into it). They didn't have butter most of the time, and I hated margarine. This was DoCo. When G&G took over, the supply issues became even worse - they were out of everything from butter to milk to most vegetables. The owner was a nice guy and tried to make things right, but the supply problems became even worse. If I cannot reliably buy even the basics, like milk, eggs, butter, vegetables then how often do you imagine I will shop there? I still pay a significant amount for organic groceries, just not there. Also, some choices are strange for supply - 23 kinds of peanut butter. Why??? It wasn't the idea that was bad, it was the implementation.

If you can't depend on them for milk and eggs, that's why they failed. We regularly hit the corner bodega by us for these items, but if they actually had a nice selection of other stuff, like even a head of broccoli, they'd get a lot more of our money. The space in question is just as far as Key Foods for us, so we never went there. The place that is amazing is Christos, they manage to stock a few pieces of a ridiculous assortment of stuff.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 0:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
I walked pass this afternoon, place looks about 85% cleared out. Seems strange, I was just talking to the owner (Paul?) a month ago and he had all these plans for expanding the inventory to include some great locally, ethically sourced items.

Posted on: 2014/8/24 23:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Drove by today it looks like they are gone?

Posted on: 2014/8/23 20:01

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Well, scuttlebutt has it that the photography studio is relocating into the space. If true, this would be a terrible mistake. I can't think of a worse misuse of a corner retail location (complete with a dozen floor-to-ceiling windows and pre-existing kitchen; good luck finding someone to spend $$ to rebuild that once you rip the current one out) than a business that generates zero walk-in business and needs total artificial lighting.

Posted on: 2014/8/19 22:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

arcy wrote:
goods&greens is closing this week.

That's impossible. Haven't you been told by now? DTJC is VERY affluent, people love to spend their money here, and high end businesses wouldn't fail because the neighborhood will support them.

The problem isn't that people aren't affluent enough or that no one has interest in their goods. I'm their exact target market. I love organic food, good lattes, sandwiches, etc. and I'm willing to pay for it. Yet, I have never spent all that much money at that store. The original store had slow (and sometimes outright poor) service, poor selection (for both sandwiches and groceries) and chronically ran out of things. Their latte was bad and they would often overcharge for it (omg, you wanted an iced late with little ice, so that means more milk so we have to charge you an extra $2! What?). Several times I had to outright teach them how to make an iced latte (you need to make espresso, not just dump cold coffee into it). They didn't have butter most of the time, and I hated margarine. This was DoCo. When G&G took over, the supply issues became even worse - they were out of everything from butter to milk to most vegetables. The owner was a nice guy and tried to make things right, but the supply problems became even worse. If I cannot reliably buy even the basics, like milk, eggs, butter, vegetables then how often do you imagine I will shop there? I still pay a significant amount for organic groceries, just not there. Also, some choices are strange for supply - 23 kinds of peanut butter. Why??? It wasn't the idea that was bad, it was the implementation.

Posted on: 2014/8/19 18:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/16 17:45
Group:
Registered Users
There is a place on Long Beach Island called Pearl Street Market that is actually quite successful with this market / cafe combo. They nicely balance offering high quality premade dishes, baked goods, and some specialty groceries along with being a destination cafe and coffee bar. Lines extend out the door every day. It is a huge draw for locals and young families, which there is no shortage of in Hamilton Park. G&G never really built up or marketed this side of its business...

I think G&G failed because it was never clear about what it was trying to be. There were too few real groceries to be considered a go-to place to shop, and too little/too unappetizing selection of pre-made food and sandwiches. It's a shame...

I still think a unique cafe where you can pick up or have a casual lunch/dinner would do awesome here. The first idea that comes to mind is "Animals," which always has a cart at JC food festivals. I had heard somewhere along the way they were looking to open a location in Jersey City... let me be the first to volunteer Hamilton Park!

http://animalsnyc.com/

Another place that runs a similar operation is Cochon Butcher in New Orleans. It is attached to a larger restaurant but offers exactly what I think would bring some life to the restaurant scene around the park.

http://www.cochonbutcher.com/

Posted on: 2014/8/19 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

arcy wrote:
goods&greens is closing this week.

That's impossible. Haven't you been told by now? DTJC is VERY affluent, people love to spend their money here, and high end businesses wouldn't fail because the neighborhood will support them.

Posted on: 2014/8/19 15:47

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017