Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Koro Koro rice ball cafe

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/17 13:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/22 0:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
I am surprised no one has asked this yet: why are they called "rice balls" when they are commonly shaped as triangles?

Posted on: 2014/8/21 18:06

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/24 0:38
From Hamilton Park Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I picked up the spicy salmon on my way to work today and it was delicious.

Of course I did tell myself, "shoot, I could make these at home", but would I ever and could I ever shape them so cutely? probably not!

I'm super happy to have this new spot in JC and look forward to trying the rest of the rice balls.

Posted on: 2014/8/21 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
I thought the balls were tasty, but excess plastic packaging - in this era of The Great Pacific Garbage Patch - is a real peeve of mine, so I probably won't be back.

I get that having plastic wrap inside and outside of the ball keeps the seaweed crispy, but the planet has bigger problems than soggy rice balls.

yeah, I'm *that* guy.

I assume you also don't drive a car that runs on fuel, use electricity which hurts the environment (unless it's solar), eat meat (factory farming cows is horrible for the planet), etc etc etc...

I don't drive. I don't eat meat. I try to limit my use of electricity. every little bit helps.

these "oh yeah? well here's something WORSE" arguments are exasperating.

Posted on: 2014/8/21 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
I thought the balls were tasty, but excess plastic packaging - in this era of The Great Pacific Garbage Patch - is a real peeve of mine, so I probably won't be back.

I get that having plastic wrap inside and outside of the ball keeps the seaweed crispy, but the planet has bigger problems than soggy rice balls.

yeah, I'm *that* guy.

if you're "that guy" you shouldn't dine at any culinary establishment. That small amount of plastic is nothing compared to what most places use for take out boxes.

oh absolutely. and I do limit my takeout for just this reason. I really wish restaurants would let us bring back those heavy plastic takeout containers for reuse.

Posted on: 2014/8/21 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:

yeah, I'm *that* guy.

I assume you also don't drive a car that runs on fuel, use electricity which hurts the environment (unless it's solar), eat meat (factory farming cows is horrible for the planet), etc etc etc...

Posted on: 2014/8/21 14:53

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/29 3:50
Group:
Registered Users
I had a few onigiri from here last night. I thought they were generally bland and dry. I would love to support more small businesses, but we probably won't return.

Posted on: 2014/8/21 12:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

yeah, I'm *that* guy.

Posted on: 2014/8/21 6:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
We went to Koro Koro last night and it was delicious! A+
We tried the Indian, spicy tuna and Cuban. All of them were super tasty but indian was our favorite flavor followed by spicy tuna then Cuban. 2-3 onigiri will fill you up!

I didn't have any trouble removing the wrapper but someone with me did... Here is a helpful video for those still finding it difficult :
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RHi6jCvyi2k

Posted on: 2014/8/20 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

maybeMoving wrote:
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
Any of you pro's have any tips? I feel like I'm asking for advice on how to boil water...

My only advice would be that when you're pulling apart the bottom corners of the plastic (steps 2 and 3 on their packaging) do it quickly and decisively, both corners at the same time. If you try to slowly wiggle the corners outward you'll inevitably pull the rice ball with it.

Thanks, we did think of trying the good ol' "band-aid tactic" but envisioned spicy salmon decorating our walls! We'll give it a go next time.

Posted on: 2014/8/19 21:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
Any of you pro's have any tips? I feel like I'm asking for advice on how to boil water...

My only advice would be that when you're pulling apart the bottom corners of the plastic (steps 2 and 3 on their packaging) do it quickly and decisively, both corners at the same time. If you try to slowly wiggle the corners outward you'll inevitably pull the rice ball with it.

Posted on: 2014/8/19 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
My wife an i tried it out last night. We got six balls and two orders of the potato salad - which was def enough for dinner for two (at least for us). For me, the Spicy Salmon was the highlight of our order.

So, this is the first time I've ever attempted to open one of these critters before, though my wife has had these from other places is the past. Out of the six, neither one of us was able to successfully remove the wrap completely from the ball without totally sliding the ball out one side or breaking it in half. We kept rereading the instructions and even looked at several videos on youtube. So either both of us are lucky to have lived this long in an overly-simplistic world or possibly these buggers were being wrapped a bit too tight?

Posted on: 2014/8/19 15:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/30 13:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

monty wrote:
I tried the Indian and the miso beef yesterday for the first time.
The Indian was actually the better of the two in my opinion though I enjoyed both. My problem is with the seaweed. Never been a huge fan of it and these in particular(I assume rice balls in general) do have a pungent smell. The consistency of the seaweed didn't fit well with the rice/filling. I will definitely go back but will need to warm up to the seaweed.

The place itself is nice and cozy. Staff looks friendly. Hoping them all the best with their endeavour

Hit the nail right on the head ! For me

Posted on: 2014/8/18 18:21

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
FYI- they are closed on Sundays :( I went yesterday... I am excited to try it later this week.

Posted on: 2014/8/18 13:27

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/1 23:10
Group:
Registered Users
Congratulations from all of us at Kraverie. We cant wait to try your food.

Posted on: 2014/8/17 20:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/27 17:19
From Jersey Ave
Group:
Registered Users
I tried the Indian and the miso beef yesterday for the first time.
The Indian was actually the better of the two in my opinion though I enjoyed both. My problem is with the seaweed. Never been a huge fan of it and these in particular(I assume rice balls in general) do have a pungent smell. The consistency of the seaweed didn't fit well with the rice/filling. I will definitely go back but will need to warm up to the seaweed.

The place itself is nice and cozy. Staff looks friendly. Hoping them all the best with their endeavour

Posted on: 2014/8/17 13:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/2 20:54
Group:
Banned
Ate there the first night, wasn't too impressed I'm afraid. Got 4 rice balls to share with my SO and to me they all tasted pretty much the same.
I probably won't be back to this culinary pearl harbor.

Posted on: 2014/8/15 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
I stopped in last night for three rice balls: Miso Beef, Spicy Salmon, and Uneboshi. All were very good and I particularly liked the uneboshi. Make sure to ask for a side of their spicy sauce when you go...really excellent. They obviously aren't doing straight traditional onigiri but their twist on it is great. I didn't find the plastic wrap difficult at all as long as you read the instructions.

They're clearly getting a warm welcome from the neighborhood because half of their menu was sold out around 7pm when I went. I have no doubt that they'll work out the amount of food to keep on hand and they already had their credit card machine working again which someone complained about earlier in this thread. Those working the counter and making the rice balls (possibly the owners?) were super friendly and efficient.

I think it's fantastic that someone is taking a chance opening up something different in the neighborhood and judging by the reception they seem to be getting I'm not the only one. The design of the restaurant is perfect for what they're serving and they already seem to have a great system in place for making the rice balls to order. In my opinion, this is what we need more of in JC; places with some imagination, some thought put into their design/image, serving good food, and, go ahead and skewer me, a little "Brooklyn-y".

I'll definitely be back and wish them the best!

Posted on: 2014/8/15 13:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
Has anyone wondered what Koro Koro means? I didn't ask the owner, so they may have a different meaning in mind though. But here is what I know:

Koro Koro is onomatopoeia in Japanese language that describes small object, like a rice ball tumbling/rolling down on a slope. So I'm sure Koro Koro refers to rice balls.

No need to wonder! It's right on their site: What Does Koro Koro Mean?

Posted on: 2014/8/15 13:57

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/5 18:11
Group:
Registered Users
I also tried these the other day; had the Salmon and Umeboshi. They were really good and fresher than the usual supermarket ones. I agree with some of the criticism regarding slow prep, but not a big deal for a brand new business. The folks were friendly and the space looked good. The salmon was especially good and spicy (kimchi?) The Umeboshi was a little light on the filling unlike the salmon which was stuffed well. Good luck to them! I'll def be back.

Posted on: 2014/8/15 13:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone wondered what Koro Koro means? I didn't ask the owner, so they may have a different meaning in mind though. But here is what I know:

Koro Koro is onomatopoeia in Japanese language that describes small object, like a rice ball tumbling/rolling down on a slope. So I'm sure Koro Koro refers to rice balls.

Posted on: 2014/8/15 13:07

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/17 0:35
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Stopped by there today with my wife, here are my thoughts, and they are meant to be constructive and in the context of the soft opening:
1. Waited in line a little too long for comfort. Open kitchen gave us the view of the food handler, putting food together very slowly. He did not seem proficient. This can be fixed with time.
2. Still smells of paint. This should fade, obviously.
3. Old register, with hand-written tabs. Another chokepoint. Perhaps splurge on a new POS?
4. The food is good! And fairly priced for the Northeast.
5. Great design: good menu placement (although I think prices should be added)
6. Dancing tony was there
7. Collabo with Milk, Sugar, Love
8. The plastic wrap was cumbersome. I'm familiar with onigiri and plastic wrap; this was not easy to get off.

You should go and eat, I think you'll like it, and I hope things like this stay around for a long while. It will be great once they work out a few kinks.

Posted on: 2014/8/15 0:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Went with my daughter yesterday and tried the Miso Beef, Cuban, Spicy Salmon and Umeboshi - all of them are pretty good. Liked the Umeboshi a lot, quite refreshing.

It's a great concept, 1 rice ball of you wanted a snack, 2 if you want a meal and if you;re me, 3 cause I'm a glutton. Almost like Dim Sum, if you share the rice balls.

Will definitely be back

Posted on: 2014/8/15 0:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
I am glad to see another storefront filled with a locally owned business! Will try to stop by soon to try it out.

Posted on: 2014/8/14 17:25

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/30 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Went for dinner tonight...everything was really tasty! My husband really liked the salmon rice ball; my favorite was the Cuban. And the potato salad was delicious.

Prices were pretty reasonable...we got 5 rice balls, potato salad, and an iced tea for $26.

We'll definitely be back.

Posted on: 2014/8/14 2:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hey, Atsushi: thank you for the nuanced review! It's nice to get your perspective, as a true Japanese native. Much appreciated. Quote:
Atsushi wrote: My wife and I went to Koro Koro last night, and it was very good. Background cultural info for people who may not be familiar with Japanese culture (I?m Japanese): Rice ball is called Onigiri or Omusubi in Japan. It has been the most classic lunch people in Japan bring to picnic and outing since the ancient time: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onigiri Rice balls this restaurant serves are similar to what you can buy at convenience stores in Japan with a special plastic wrap to keep the seaweed dry and crisp, except: They make them fresh (on the spot) manually one by one. (Rice balls you can buy at a convenience store are made by machines in a food factory and probably several hours old by the time they get to the stores.) I thought that because they make their rice balls on the spot and serve them right away, plastic wrap is not necessary (indeed some customers were having a hard time unwrapping it correctly). I believe that for those orders to stay, serving them without a wrap on a plate would be more authentic and intimate. And for those orders to go, plastic wrap should be an option as some people prefer seaweed to be crisp and others prefer wet (moist). What?s embedded in a rice ball (content) is what gives individual rice ball unique flavor. Traditionally, only a few kinds of content were used in Japan, like pickled plum or salted salmon. But in the last 30 years, many new contents have been invented and have become popular. Most of the contents that they serve appear to be their original and definitely with western twists (They even had one with Indian twist and Cuban twist; next time I shall try those!). I tried those rice balls with western twists, and they were really good. (I was reminded of Ramen noodles served at Union Republic. Their ramen is definitely with western twist. They may not be strictly traditional, but there is nothing wrong with that, in my opinion. There are many kinds of food Japan has imported from the west and has given them her own twist, so I have no objections with Americans giving their own twists to Japanese food. Some of these ideas are really unique, and native Japanese would never have been able to come up with. I enjoy American twists on Japanese food in general.) I also tried their miso-soup and Japanese potato salad. Both were very good. Like rice balls, what you put in a soup makes miso-soup unique, in addition to type of miso (fermented beat paste) and stock (or called Dashi). They put eggplant and seaweed in theirs, which they said that it?s from Okinawa. I?ve never been there, so I can?t specifically comment on that, but I thought that eggplant worked well and the soup tasted like authentically home-cooked. Of course, it wasn?t quite as good as what my mother makes, but I?ll give it an A minus. (Every Japanese person thinks their mother makes the best miso-soup , so A minus is pretty darn good;) I tasted soy sauce in the Japanese potato salad, which was great. My mother normally doesn?t put soy sauce in her potato salad, but some of us, myself included, pour small amount of soy sauce on it upon being served. When I make potato salad, I sometimes put some wasabi sauce in it, and it would be great if they add that to the menu. Last night air conditioner wasn?t working, so it was really hot, but that?s a really minor point. I?m sure they will address that sooner or later. I remember hearing that they can accept cash only at this time but that they will be able to accept credit card soon. We?ve been looking forward to opening of this place for a few months, and overall, my wife and I were very satisfied, and we are looking forward to going there again and try other things on the menu.

Posted on: 2014/8/13 19:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
My wife and I went to Koro Koro last night, and it was very good. Background cultural info for people who may not be familiar with Japanese culture (I?m Japanese): Rice ball is called Onigiri or Omusubi in Japan. It has been the most classic lunch people in Japan bring to picnic and outing since the ancient time: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onigiri Rice balls this restaurant serves are similar to what you can buy at convenience stores in Japan with a special plastic wrap to keep the seaweed dry and crisp, except: They make them fresh (on the spot) manually one by one. (Rice balls you can buy at a convenience store are made by machines in a food factory and probably several hours old by the time they get to the stores.) I thought that because they make their rice balls on the spot and serve them right away, plastic wrap is not necessary (indeed some customers were having a hard time unwrapping it correctly). I believe that for those orders to stay, serving them without a wrap on a plate would be more authentic and intimate. And for those orders to go, plastic wrap should be an option as some people prefer seaweed to be crisp and others prefer wet (moist). What?s embedded in a rice ball (content) is what gives individual rice ball unique flavor. Traditionally, only a few kinds of content were used in Japan, like pickled plum or salted salmon. But in the last 30 years, many new contents have been invented and have become popular. Most of the contents that they serve appear to be their original and definitely with western twists (They even had one with Indian twist and Cuban twist; next time I shall try those!). I tried those rice balls with western twists, and they were really good. (I was reminded of Ramen noodles served at Union Republic. Their ramen is definitely with western twist. They may not be strictly traditional, but there is nothing wrong with that, in my opinion. There are many kinds of food Japan has imported from the west and has given them her own twist, so I have no objections with Americans giving their own twists to Japanese food. Some of these ideas are really unique, and native Japanese would never have been able to come up with. I enjoy American twists on Japanese food in general.) I also tried their miso-soup and Japanese potato salad. Both were very good. Like rice balls, what you put in a soup makes miso-soup unique, in addition to type of miso (fermented beat paste) and stock (or called Dashi). They put eggplant and seaweed in theirs, which they said that it?s from Okinawa. I?ve never been there, so I can?t specifically comment on that, but I thought that eggplant worked well and the soup tasted like authentically home-cooked. Of course, it wasn?t quite as good as what my mother makes, but I?ll give it an A minus. (Every Japanese person thinks their mother makes the best miso-soup , so A minus is pretty darn good;) I tasted soy sauce in the Japanese potato salad, which was great. My mother normally doesn?t put soy sauce in her potato salad, but some of us, myself included, pour small amount of soy sauce on it upon being served. When I make potato salad, I sometimes put some wasabi sauce in it, and it would be great if they add that to the menu. Last night air conditioner wasn?t working, so it was really hot, but that?s a really minor point. I?m sure they will address that sooner or later. I remember hearing that they can accept cash only at this time but that they will be able to accept credit card soon. We?ve been looking forward to opening of this place for a few months, and overall, my wife and I were very satisfied, and we are looking forward to going there again and try other things on the menu.

Posted on: 2014/8/13 17:39

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/17 2:26
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Each rice ball is $3.25
Had the miso beef, spicy salmon, cuban, and umeboshi (Japanese pickled plums)

The miso beef is OK- they should add more flavor (but it's the most simple and safe choice)
Spicy salmon and cuban were pretty good
If you like sour, try the umeboshi. It's pretty strong so you might get surprised at first, but it's unique

The rice balls are about as big as a triangle you make with your 2 thumbs and pointer fingers (if you have smallish hands). Otherwise, it's about 3-4 inches on each side.
The way they wrap it is pretty weird so be careful

Posted on: 2014/8/13 16:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/16 18:56
Group:
Registered Users
I went last night. I had the miso soup, spicy salmon, miso beef and some pork one that i cannot remember. Very good. I think they need to give a better tutorial on how to open them, because i tried and ended up eating plastic.

Posted on: 2014/8/13 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

nemobeatz wrote:
Stopped by and had the miso beef ball, the spicy salmon ball, and the Japanese potato salad. The beef ball was decent, but the salmon ball and the potato salad were out of this world. Also, for 3.25 a rice ball, you can't beat those prices. I'll definitely be back.

How big are the balls?

Not too large, they recommend 3 to be full or 2 and a side salad. 1 would be a great light snack if you're not too hungry.

Posted on: 2014/8/13 11:03

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017