Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Why does mass transit in the Heights suck so badly!?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/17/wor ... teau.html?ref=todayspaper

I wonder if this type of system would work from the Heights to Hoboken train station for example. Maybe even getting people across the Hudson from LSP or thereabouts.

The span between LSP and the Battery Park area is just shy of a mile. That's a VERY long distance to cover on a "flat level" cable car system. I am not sure that it is feasible. But, in addition, the construction costs could be incredibly high, necessitating very high per-ride fares. London already has their own version of this idea, and it has been an abject failure. The per ride cost is close to $7 (with a very generous discount for frequent users that pegs the cost at about $2.50.) Guess what? The cable car currently runs at 10% capacity. These ideas are great on paper, but they never deliver on the promises/dreams of their proponents. Once you ride this, you have to get to work, or home. How do you get people from LSP to their homes? Once in Battery Park City, how do you get to work? You would have to walk over to whatever subway station is more convenient for your final destination. When you add up the time and costs, it simply isn't worth it for most people.

Posted on: 2014/8/18 0:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/17/wor ... teau.html?ref=todayspaper

I wonder if this type of system would work from the Heights to Hoboken train station for example. Maybe even getting people across the Hudson from LSP or thereabouts.

Posted on: 2014/8/17 18:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Everyone in the Heights I know likes it this way, its like they don't want to be connected to the rest of the city. We call it Jitney land..

Oh God. I'm doomed...

Posted on: 2014/8/14 14:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/3/27 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
I also live west of Kennedy in heights 1 mile north of JSQ. I wouldn't mind shaving off a few blocks between my house and the PATH but I am used to the walk. The jitney vans come very often so if I am late/lazy I can get to JSQ quickly that way.

Alternatively, depending where/when I am going in city the buses to Port Authority can be a decent option. I guess as you move further up into the height away from JSQ you are more dependent on the buses.

Posted on: 2014/8/14 13:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Everyone in the Heights I know likes it this way, its like they don't want to be connected to the rest of the city. We call it Jitney land..

I totaly agree ! I live on the Western Slope (west of Kennedy) there are mostly single and two family homes, not many businesses, no transportation choices, and resident home owners. It is quiet and comfortable without the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

Posted on: 2014/8/14 12:06
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Everyone in the Heights I know likes it this way, its like they don't want to be connected to the rest of the city.

Funny, that's what we think of Porte Liberte. Talk about a disconnect.

Transportation stinks west of the Kennedy. The Western Slopers have a long haul up the hill.

Posted on: 2014/8/13 22:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/13 20:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ripple wrote:
The Heights (and much of Hudson county) only got developed the way they did because of streetcars, and those all got ripped out a very long time ago.

There really needs to be a new light rail branch that splits at Shoprite, goes along the 6th street embankment, then up Newark Ave and Summit Ave the whole way up the Heights to union city.

That's way too expensive, but as I've suggested elsewhere, dedicated Bus Mass Transit lanes on Summit from JSQ PATH to 42nd St PA terminal would be relatively cheap and very effective, a virtual subway without the digging. We're talking buses that can change the lights for themselves like Light Rail and only stop every 10 blocks or so, not every other block. But residents would get hysterical at the loss of street parking on Summit.

Posted on: 2014/8/13 19:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/25 7:33
Group:
Registered Users
Saying that mass transit sucks in the Heights is far too broad (therefore erroneous) a statement.

If you live on the east side, you can get to Hoboken and midtown quickly and easily.

The Heights should be viewed in sections because WHERE in the heights you live determines differing results (good or bad)

Posted on: 2014/8/13 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
The Heights (and much of Hudson county) only got developed the way they did because of streetcars, and those all got ripped out a very long time ago.

There really needs to be a new light rail branch that splits at Shoprite, goes along the 6th street embankment, then up Newark Ave and Summit Ave the whole way up the Heights to union city.

Posted on: 2014/8/13 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
He who voices their concerns the loudest and consistently, will only ever get heard by those of authority and power

Posted on: 2014/8/12 23:15
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Giovanna wrote:
I submit a complaint to NJ Transit whenever the bus doesn't show up. I'm sure they ignore them, but I figure it's better than nothing. Follow the web feedback link here: http://www.njtransit.com/tm/tm_servle ... tion=ContactUsTelephoneTo

I've complained to the city via the Resident Response Center/Online Help form. A representative responded right away but suggested I reach out to NJ Transit instead.

Thanks! I filled out a complaint on line, and will follow your example - maybe if they hear from enough of us they will have to do something about service! If nothing else, it's a useful paper trail should someone do an expose on NJ Transit.

I see a RRC form for bus issues, but my guess is the incident this morning was the city's fault. It seems they are always tearing up some street with no advance warning; I bet they don't inform NJ Transit at all.

Posted on: 2014/8/12 21:40

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 16:53
Group:
Registered Users
I submit a complaint to NJ Transit whenever the bus doesn't show up. I'm sure they ignore them, but I figure it's better than nothing. Follow the web feedback link here: http://www.njtransit.com/tm/tm_servle ... tion=ContactUsTelephoneTo

I've complained to the city via the Resident Response Center/Online Help form. A representative responded right away but suggested I reach out to NJ Transit instead.

Posted on: 2014/8/12 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Because there aren't enough rich and powerful people who live there and would have leverage for their complaints to be taken seriously.

Posted on: 2014/8/12 14:43

Why does mass transit in the Heights suck so badly!?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Today, a group of us were waiting for the 87 bus to Journal Square at our regular stop on Franklin Street and Hancock Avenue. Attempting to impress my fellow would-be riders I texted NJT My bus - relayed the scheduled bus times. 45 minutes later, no sign of a bus. I pulled out my smart phone to see if there were NJTransit service announcements posted on line, text alerts. Nothing! Finally, a passerby told us Franklin Street was closed at Palisade Avenue due to construction.

I know, it's New Jersey/the Heights, and I'm a fool for relying on mass transit. But this has got to stop! Who can we reach out to? The City - are they responsible for coordinating closures with NJT? NJT - has anyone ever had any experience with customer service?

Posted on: 2014/8/12 14:39

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017