Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

Re: To JC Bikers Who Ride on Sidewalks...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Jersey City needs to ticket bikes on sidewalks -- I just saw someone get hit walking out of a store onto Newark Avenue's sidewalk. This could/will happen here if nothing is done.

...and I got hit with a ball by some McNair kids playing volleyball in HP a couple of days ago.

How about applying some simple common-sense? Or do you think our lives need to be governed by rules proscribed by rule nazis?

Posted on: 2014/9/19 22:58

Re: A LETTER TO THE JERK OFF RIDING A BIKE ON THE SIDEWALK THIS FINE MONDAY MORNING
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Hudson River Waterfront Walkway - The word walkway might suggest that it isn't an exclusive speedway expressway for bikes !

A pedestrian at times is like being a 3rd class citizen - we can't zig zag and are expected to be robotic in the way we move so its predicable for on coming cyclists - Next we'll be asked to give hand signals when we turn and carry a small horn !

Posted on: 2014/9/19 22:50
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City needs to ticket bikes on sidewalks -- I just saw someone get hit walking out of a store onto Newark Avenue's sidewalk. This could/will happen here if nothing is done.

http://nypost.com/2014/09/18/cyclist- ... destrian-in-central-park/

Resized Image

Woman brain-dead after getting hit by cyclist in Central Park

September 18, 2014
NY Post

A cyclist pedaling a $4,000 racing bike at high speed through Central Park slammed into a suburban mom in town shopping for her daughter?s birthday present ? leaving the woman brain-dead, sources said.

Jill Tarlov, 59, of Fairfield, Conn., the wife of a CBS executive, was in a crosswalk near 63rd Street when Jason Marshall, 31, came barreling along West Drive at around 4:30 p.m. and yelled for her to get out of his way, law enforcement sources said.

Tarlov was rushed to New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, where she was declared brain-dead, the sources said.

Tarlov, whose husband, Michael Wittman, is a senior vice president at CBS, was out shopping for her daughter?s present when she was tragically struck, sources said.

Posted on: 2014/9/19 22:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
One of the comments from the article:

"Art Vanderlay from Jersey City:
If you're on the road you're a vehicle and thus subject to the laws of the road. I'd also like cyclists to have insurance and pay some sort of tax for their bike lanes - As I vespa user (motorcycle) I have to pay annual taxes to use the road as should a bike rider as they use up the same amount of space on the road!"

I don't know if you're on the board Art but cyclist do pay taxes on the roads they use.

Posted on: 2014/9/19 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

- Going against the flow of traffic permitted only where there are dedicated bike lanes, bike going with flow of traffic has right of way

Um NO. Bikers should NEVER be riding against traffic regardless of the presence of a bike lane.

Posted on: 2014/9/19 18:26
utterly deplorable

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Bicycles are not cars, nor should they be regulated as cars. A car's "footprint" - environmentally, in terms of its impact on public safety, use of shared/public resources, etc. - far exceeds that of a bicycle.

Since there are many upsides to encouraging bicycle use over car use, bikes should NOT have to obey every rule that cars do, as a way of rewarding the use of a bike. Having said that, there clearly need to be common sense rules of the road spelled out for bicycles. I'll start:

- No riding on sidewalks
- Go with flow of traffic where there are no dedicated bike lanes
- Going against the flow of traffic permitted only where there are dedicated bike lanes, bike going with flow of traffic has right of way
- Bikes turning at intersection must slow, but are not obligated to stop if the intersection is clear
- Bikes must stop at red light/stop sign, but are permitted to proceed on red ONLY if intersection is clear

etc.

Posted on: 2014/9/19 17:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Why can't the city ticket these people?

They don't ticket drivers bothering bikers on the street (even though it has resulted in a biker death), you expect them to ticket bikers on sidewalks??

Posted on: 2014/9/19 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Why can't the city ticket these people?

Posted on: 2014/9/19 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/9/19 14:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
And today, riding north on the Hoboken bike-only path, I was called an asshole for riding too fast-by a woman walking her dog and pushing a stroller, going the wrong way.

And on the way south, on the bike path, I had to yell to get a family of 8 blocking both the north and south lanes to make room.

Posted on: 2014/8/14 18:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
It's not car centric to point out that biking on the sidewalk is frequent, dangerous, and totally unaddressed.

These bikers aren't making the city less car centric- they're just hurting pedestrians.

These are not real urban bicycle commuters they are just ignorant has-beens bumming around on beater bikes. When I try to call them out, I get dirty mean looks or just a smile. We cannot control delinquents.

Posted on: 2014/8/14 18:27
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
It's not car centric to point out that biking on the sidewalk is frequent, dangerous, and totally unaddressed.

These bikers aren't making the city less car centric- they're just hurting pedestrians.

Posted on: 2014/8/14 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcdd wrote:
Wishful Thinking - I suppose I am stating the obvious here, but you need to move if you are so miserable here. I've lived quite a few places in my life - rural, suburb, city - and one thing I've learned is that happiness is generally not a factor of where you live. It can factor in if you move away from family and friends, even if you live in the best place on Earth. I find many things about urban living annoying; but the grass is not always greener in the burbs or in a bucolic rural setting. Or in Manhattan, for that matter. Its funny - my husband in born and raised NYC. It always seems that folks that were born in NYC just want to get out, while the rest of the world is looking to get in.

Thanks for the thoughtful response! Stating (and re-stating!) the obvious is helpful, actually, to the extent it gets one to finally clearly see one's situation. I, too, have lived in quite a few places, but have never hated anywhere as much as I do Jersey City - except, perhaps, the small town I grew up in. I loved everything about urban living when I lived in Manhattan, except for not owning my own place. Thus, the move to JC Heights, which at the time held out the promise of being close enough to feel part of it. I would love to go back to Manhattan, but know I can't afford it.

I suppose this segues to a new topic - getting solid feedback on the possible market value of my condo in the Heights, to see what my options are.

Posted on: 2014/8/14 13:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/2/23 1:38
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Watched a bicyclist nearly hit a woman today on Erie, though she promptly called him out for riding illegally on the sidewalk and for him acting annoyed that she was in his way. Super irritating. I agree with whomever commented before about cyclists having issues with drivers and that they should be taking that up with drivers; the answer is not the sidewalk. If they can't handle the bike lane, get off your bike and walk. That's what sidewalks are for: walking.

Two blocks later, two guys sat on their bikes at the corner just chatting away, blocking the ramps at the curb intersection in BOTH directions. They, too, were annoyed that people seemed to want to use the sidewalk for walking.

Wonder why there's a general annoyance at bike riders? That could be why...

Posted on: 2014/8/14 2:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
Wishful Thinking - I suppose I am stating the obvious here, but you need to move if you are so miserable here. I've lived quite a few places in my life - rural, suburb, city - and one thing I've learned is that happiness is generally not a factor of where you live. It can factor in if you move away from family and friends, even if you live in the best place on Earth. I find many things about urban living annoying; but the grass is not always greener in the burbs or in a bucolic rural setting. Or in Manhattan, for that matter. Its funny - my husband in born and raised NYC. It always seems that folks that were born in NYC just want to get out, while the rest of the world is looking to get in.

Posted on: 2014/8/14 0:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
NYC is cracking down on this sort of dangerous behavior from cyclists. Maybe JC should do the same.

http://gothamist.com/2014/08/13/nypd_ ... week_bicycle_safety_e.php

Posted on: 2014/8/14 0:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Something tells me that most people here have probably never seen a car drive down the length of a block on a sidewalk.

I have probably seen a bike do that 20 times in half a year.

Somewhat different.

And I also have also had a bell ringed at me for walking down the sidewalk, "in the way" of a bike.

Anyone here ever a horn honked at them as they walked down the sidewalk for getting in the way of a car?

The false equivalency is priceless.

The only reason you don't see cars driving on sidewalks is sidewalks are too narrow. I honestly meant my comment as a humorous aside, but there is no avoiding the car-centric attitude in this town. I suppose its time to quit JCList, Jersey City sucks.

Posted on: 2014/8/14 0:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/13 21:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Something tells me that most people here have probably never seen a car drive down the length of a block on a sidewalk.

I have probably seen a bike do that 20 times in half a year.

Somewhat different.

And I also have also had a bell ringed at me for walking down the sidewalk, "in the way" of a bike.

Anyone here ever a horn honked at them as they walked down the sidewalk for getting in the way of a car?

The false equivalency is priceless.

Posted on: 2014/8/13 20:21

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/11 21:03
From 2nd St.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
I'm tempted to start a new post whenever I see a car breaking some rule of the road. Of course, That would probably crash the website with hundreds of posts every day

If there was a trend of motorists driving against traffic or driving on sidewalks, it would absolutely be worth a post. No one is posting about bikers ignoring traffic signs and lights.

Posted on: 2014/8/13 14:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I'm tempted to start a new post whenever I see a car breaking some rule of the road. Of course, That would probably crash the website with hundreds of posts every day

Posted on: 2014/8/12 21:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Of course, the wedding party (in purple outfits) taking over the entire bike lane in Hoboken yesterday (along with two unleashed dogs!) was a nice counterpoint!

Posted on: 2014/8/11 12:06

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/21 19:56
Group:
Registered Users
I actually had some hipster girl ding her little bike bell at me, because I was in her way, while she was trying to ride on the sidewalk. Hilariously, an older gentleman was walking towards us and yelled, "That's what the bike lanes are for!" before I had the chance.

Posted on: 2014/8/11 11:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
In the interest of clarity and accuracy, I am replying to my own message. I should have said that there is no BLANKET ban on making turns. There is a sign prohibiting left turns from Grand onto Barrow, M-F, 6 AM to 10 AM.

BTW, the placement of the sign is ATROCIOUSLY bad. A sign banning left turns during certain days/times that is placed on the FAR RIGHT. Unless you are actually looking for it, you would never see it.

In any case, my original complaint is no less valid. My incident happened around 10:30.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

colleen wrote:
Lucky the cop didn't say anything, there are NO TURN signs posted on Grand at Barrow both eastbound and westbound.

Huh? What are you talking about?? There are no such signs! At one point, the city (haphazardly) implemented a no turn policy (when they also created that little half ass swerve as you head east on Grand) by painting NO TURN on the street. It was promptly removed two weeks later, when it proved useless and no one actually heeding that.

But, right now, there aren't any signs on that corner prohibiting turns from Grand onto Barrow.

Posted on: 2014/8/9 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

colleen wrote:
Lucky the cop didn't say anything, there are NO TURN signs posted on Grand at Barrow both eastbound and westbound.

Huh? What are you talking about?? There are no such signs! At one point, the city (haphazardly) implemented a no turn policy (when they also created that little half ass swerve as you head east on Grand) by painting NO TURN on the street. It was promptly removed two weeks later, when it proved useless and no one actually heeding that.

But, right now, there aren't any signs on that corner prohibiting turns from Grand onto Barrow.

Posted on: 2014/8/9 13:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/31 2:51
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/8 22:27

Re: A LETTER TO THE JERK OFF RIDING A BIKE ON THE SIDEWALK THIS FINE MONDAY MORNING
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Getting this back on track (or, should I even bother?!)

This morning, while driving to the Grove Street area, I tried to make a turn onto Barrow St while heading East on Grand St. What do you know? Some knucklehead, riding east on the sidewalk at a really high speed, decided to cross Barrow, while I am making the turn, and what do you think happened? I had to jam my brakes so I wouldn't hit him. This is precisely one of the many reasons why people SHOULD NOT ride on sidewalks. The kicker? There was a policeman standing on the corner. Did he say anything to the cyclist? No! Did he say anything to me? No! Did he even notice?? Who knows.

It's not just that it isn't safe to your own person, or that of others, but cyclists who choose to ride on sidewalks, especially downtown, are also putting motorists at risk of being involved in an accident, a potentially serious or deadly one.

Posted on: 2014/8/8 17:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
PS: Monroe stfu, before I declare war on cyclists illegally using sidewalks or going against the flow. Trust me -I'm big, my dog is big - and I'm happy to squash any of you guys breaking the law.

...or we can all play nice.

lol, silly man, I agree that bikers riding on sidewalks are wrong. All I pointed out is that daily I see idiot walkers (and dog owners) doing equally stupid things that endanger bicyclists where the pedestrians should be more attentive and polite.

As for your big Internet balls and dog, well, it gives me a good chuckle with my morning coffee.

PM with me with time and place. Or stay home with your cat. Coffee's on me if you decide to play ;)

Posted on: 2014/8/8 2:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/4 8:59
Group:
Registered Users
"Walk softly and carry a big stick"

Posted on: 2014/8/6 2:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
love this thread.

Indeed, this thread exemplifies the evolution of all JCLIST threads.

This is the cinematic version of every JCList thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy3EHf82ZJU

Posted on: 2014/8/6 1:52

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact