Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
141 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

Re: A LETTER TO THE JERK OFF RIDING A BIKE ON THE SIDEWALK THIS FINE MONDAY MORNING
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/28 4:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
I mention to the salmons out there all the time "wrong way" all I get in return is "F off" ! They don't look like regular cyclists. I bet these same idiots take up 2 spots when parking their gas spewing vehicle.

Gotta keep doing it. I'm sometimes tempted to play "chicken" with these knuckleheads, but try to resist the urge. The crazy thing is, it is SO much safer to ride with the flow of traffic... if nobody says anything, they definitely won't ever change their bad habits.

Posted on: 2014/8/5 19:14

Re: A LETTER TO THE JERK OFF RIDING A BIKE ON THE SIDEWALK THIS FINE MONDAY MORNING
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HippieShowgirl wrote:

So inappropriate meaning EVER on the sidewalk, right?

Anywhere downtown, or in any of the city's commercial districts - I agree, it would never be appropriate to ride on the sidewalk.

There are other parts of town where this may not be the case.

I live off Kennedy Blvd, near St Peters. The lanes are narrow, with parked cars on the side; the road has bends, and cars go super fast. I'm a very experienced cyclist, but it's still a scary place to ride.

There are quite a few people who ride on the sidewalk on this part of JFK. The sidewalks are wide, and usually not crowded with pedestrians. If they do it safely (ride slow, yield to peds, act like a pedestrian at intersections - ie really slow - so drivers can see you) I can't fault them too much.

On my commute to & from JSQ, I cut over to Bergen (also not exactly a cup of tea) and avoid as much of JFK as I can. Do I wish everyone riding bikes did this and stayed off the sidewalk on JFK? Sure.

Posted on: 2014/8/5 18:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I mention to the salmons out there all the time "wrong way" all I get in return is "F off" ! They don't look like regular cyclists. I bet these same idiots take up 2 spots when parking their gas spewing vehicle.

Posted on: 2014/8/5 18:20
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
love this thread.

Indeed, this thread exemplifies the evolution of all JCLIST threads.

WHEN THE SUBJECT LINE IS ALL CAPS YOU KNOW WHERE IT'S GOING!

Posted on: 2014/8/5 17:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 18:00
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sully wrote:
If you see someone riding in an inappropriate manner on the sidewalk, say something to them about it.

So inappropriate meaning EVER on the sidewalk, right?

It's such a peeve of mine. If you're over the age of 8 or 10, please get you and your moving bicycle the hell off the sidewalk. And stay off. If you don't have the stomach or balls or skills for riding in the street in an urban environment, ESPECIALLY if there's a bike lane -- here's a concept: WALK.

I don't feel sorry for you at all.

You got a problem with the asshat drivers being a hazard to you, take it up with them, and get out of the way of the pedestrians. Period.

Please, and thank you.

Posted on: 2014/8/5 16:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with Monroe, the ratio of douche to non-douche is likely about equal among all modes (car / bike / walk).

HOWEVER a douche on a bike is potentially able to interact with & piss off many more people (drivers, peds, other cyclists) in a shorter amount of time than a douche-y driver or a douche-y pedestrian.

I think as cyclists, we need to help police our own. If you're riding & come upon a salmon, say "hey buddy, wrong way." If you see someone riding in an inappropriate manner on the sidewalk, say something to them about it. If the offending rider is a hard-core, incurable douche, this obviously won't have any affect. But a lot of the riders doing these things are just lazy and/or not knowledgeable about bike safety... with guidance, they should be able to get with the program.

Posted on: 2014/8/5 16:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
love this thread.

Indeed, this thread exemplifies the evolution of all JCLIST threads.

Posted on: 2014/8/5 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/31 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
Ye tho I walk thru the valley of chicken bones and sewers smelling of death, I shall fear no evil scofflaw biker speeding on the sidewalk, for I fear no yuppie, and learned how to side-step a tackle playing on the wing in college.While I try to visualize affordable housing and whirled peas, I am just a girl trying to make it in this dirty city. I will not yield my right to [your] wrong.

Posted on: 2014/8/5 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
love this thread.

Posted on: 2014/8/5 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

colleen wrote:
Okay, boys, put'em away and zip up.

FF to 1:10 to see how easy it's done.

http://youtu.be/sRxGNttpaZA

Says she of calm demeanor! :)

I believe the proper technique is a quick Texas two step backwards with a do-si-do hook to a handlebar &/or brake lever. With a little practice you can get a broken collarbone on the bikers' opposite side about one time out of two.

Posted on: 2014/8/5 14:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

colleen wrote:

So your advocating to trip cyclist? Shame on you! Accidents happen people, riding on the cycle is not that big of a deal. You should be more worried about the need for more sewage pumps that are needed for DTJC because of the amount of new construction going. DTJC is not NYC, on most streets you don't have hundreds of people walking on the sidewalk at one time, there's plenty of space.

Posted on: 2014/8/5 14:30
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/5 13:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
PS: Monroe stfu, before I declare war on cyclists illegally using sidewalks or going against the flow. Trust me -I'm big, my dog is big - and I'm happy to squash any of you guys breaking the law.

...or we can all play nice.

lol, silly man, I agree that bikers riding on sidewalks are wrong. All I pointed out is that daily I see idiot walkers (and dog owners) doing equally stupid things that endanger bicyclists where the pedestrians should be more attentive and polite.

As for your big Internet balls and dog, well, it gives me a good chuckle with my morning coffee.

Posted on: 2014/8/5 11:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
PS: Monroe stfu, before I declare war on cyclists illegally using sidewalks or going against the flow. Trust me -I'm big, my dog is big - and I'm happy to squash any of you guys breaking the law.

...or we can all play nice.

Posted on: 2014/8/5 2:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

I do the right thing, I expect everyone else to do the same. Stay to the right. Mind your kids and your dogs and keep them safe by not letting them run uncontrolled. Leashes would work for both, actually. If you're walking, look ahead and don't have your nose in your smartphone not paying attention. Do those and we'll get along fine.

If you want to see how these things generally work out visit the Hoboken walking/biking paths above Pier A. Walkers pay zero attention to the bike only lane, generally.

In confrontations with clueless and/or rude walkers I'm 2-0. Dogs don't scare me, lol, if it ever came to that.

Monroe - we're talking regular sidewalks in JC. Salmoning in bike lanes. Given you're not dog-meat as yet, we've obviously never met.

Posted on: 2014/8/5 1:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

blanquiita wrote:
Last week on Jersey Ave I had to dodge not one but to bike riders-- one heading north and the other heading south.

Maybe I should just walk in the bike lanes.

And then you'll have to dodge the double parked cars! :)

Posted on: 2014/8/5 1:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Last week on Jersey Ave I had to dodge not one but to bike riders-- one heading north and the other heading south.

Maybe I should just walk in the bike lanes.

Posted on: 2014/8/5 1:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
I try not to be a jerk to cyclists. But I expect the same courtesy from cyclists "bending" the rules. The law may be selectively enforced, but you're always going to be in the wrong - particularly when you get sued. So don't be a jerk about it. Give peds a wide berth and notice that you are there. Don't whine if you have to brake. Get off and walk around kids. Show a bit of respect.

@ Colleen - love the "texas 2-step" idea. I also find that a "drunken stagger" and 6ft leash on a big dog freaks the crap out of most cyclists.

I do the right thing, I expect everyone else to do the same. Stay to the right. Mind your kids and your dogs and keep them safe by not letting them run uncontrolled. Leashes would work for both, actually. If you're walking, look ahead and don't have your nose in your smartphone not paying attention. Do those and we'll get along fine.

If you want to see how these things generally work out visit the Hoboken walking/biking paths above Pier A. Walkers pay zero attention to the bike only lane, generally.

In confrontations with clueless and/or rude walkers I'm 2-0. Dogs don't scare me, lol, if it ever came to that.

Posted on: 2014/8/5 1:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I try not to be a jerk to cyclists. But I expect the same courtesy from cyclists "bending" the rules. The law may be selectively enforced, but you're always going to be in the wrong - particularly when you get sued. So don't be a jerk about it. Give peds a wide berth and notice that you are there. Don't whine if you have to brake. Get off and walk around kids. Show a bit of respect.

@ Colleen - love the "texas 2-step" idea. I also find that a "drunken stagger" and 6ft leash on a big dog freaks the crap out of most cyclists.

Posted on: 2014/8/5 0:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Just curious - what are the legal consequences of 'accidentally' knocking a bicyclist over - you know, like spreading my arms and inadvertently my bag of groceries hits them in the face.

Assault? And hopefully every other possible charge that can be thought of?

Posted on: 2014/8/4 23:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcdd wrote:
No true as to bicycles, Monroe. A collision between a bicyclist and pedestrian have often resulted in serious injuries and even death.

I don't doubt that for a minute, but I can't recall that happening in JC-and I do recall two bicyclists killed by drivers in the last year or so.

In any case, it's knuckleheads of all types, drivers, bikers, and walkers that cause the problems, no? For every idiot bicyclist riding on a sidewalk I see 10X pedestrians crossing against the light, jaywalking, or not watching where they are going while they text and email. It's probably proportionate to the number of walkers vs bikers in any case.

Posted on: 2014/8/4 21:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
No true as to bicycles, Monroe. A collision between a bicyclist and pedestrian have often resulted in serious injuries and even death.

Posted on: 2014/8/4 21:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Sorry bicycle enthusiasts, there is no "us and them." There are just douche-bag drivers whether on a bike or in a car or whatever. Do you think people are like "I'm an aggressive D-bag driver but I will behave myself on a bike"? Sorry, ain't happening.

You make a good point; the difference is that a douche bag driver can easily kill a bicyclist or pedestrian (as we've seen, sadly, in JC a few times in recent times), and a douche bag bicycle rider or a douche bag pedestrian will likely inflict minor scrapes on each other.

I've no doubt that the douche bag psyche is evident in the same percentages among drivers, bikers, and walkers.

Posted on: 2014/8/4 20:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Sorry bicycle enthusiasts, there is no "us and them." There are just douche-bag drivers whether on a bike or in a car or whatever. Do you think people are like "I'm an aggressive D-bag driver but I will behave myself on a bike"? Sorry, ain't happening.

Posted on: 2014/8/4 20:24

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/4 10:26
Group:
Registered Users
I'm wondering if your jerk is the same person who has run their red light, my green one, while I'm driving. It's happened several mornings in a row. I have no problem letting someone go, even when they don't have the right of way, but there's no way I can do that when I can't see them and they go speeding into the intersection. I'm terrified I'm going to hit one of them. And they look at me like I'm doing something wrong. I'm having panic attacks when it happens now.

Posted on: 2014/8/4 20:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
not sure if this will help or not, but something needs to be done! ARTICLE VI Roller Skates, In-Line Skates, Skateboards and Bicycles
https://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=16093

Posted on: 2014/8/4 20:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I believe the proper technique is a quick Texas two step backwards with a do-si-do hook to a handlebar &/or brake lever. With a little practice you can get a broken collarbone on the bikers' opposite side about one time out of two.

The law is clear. Don't condone this rude behavior.

Posted on: 2014/8/4 18:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
There's a woman who rides her brown cruiser with sunflowers down Jersey Ave then hooks left onto Newark every morning. She's a pinball, bouncing from one side of the street to the other, diagonal across intersections, sidewalk, head on into traffic, whatever. The best part is that she "used" to wear a helmet. I'm waiting for the day that I get to call 911.

Just curious - what are the legal consequences of 'accidentally' knocking a bicyclist over - you know, like spreading my arms and inadvertently my bag of groceries hits them in the face.

Posted on: 2014/8/4 18:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Repeal the off-leash dog laws?

Posted on: 2014/8/4 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Because a lot more people walk than bike my experience (mostly on the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway) is that pedestrians are, proportionally, just as rude and clueless as 'sidewalk biker' was today.

Whether it's nannies walking four abreast with baby carriages, or the smokers out enjoying a cigarette, or the tourists stopping to take pictures, or most commonly those walking in a zig-zag manner when they have their nose in their smartphone reading an email or texting-my alert has gone from 'excuse me' to 'look up!' to 'buy a fucking clue' depending on the chance of them getting run over because of their behavior.

your analogy is flawed by the simple fact that walkers are going 3 miles an hour, tops.

and if they're getting in your way? GET OFF THE GODDAMNED SIDEWALK.

Try rereading my post-the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway is multi-use, and has signs posted to be aware of pedestrians, bikers, and the like.

Walkers need to pay attention just as I do on my bicycle.

Posted on: 2014/8/4 17:17

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017