Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
70 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 70

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Living on a boat
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
This looks great. Thanks!

Posted on: 2014/8/5 14:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Sure thing. I'm also here for business and it's a fun talking point with clients: http://www.bedandbreakfastafloat.com/

Posted on: 2014/8/5 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I have met a few permanent live-aboards in the area. It's pretty neat. It can be very cost-effective, actually. And there is undoubtedly something whimsical about it. I've stayed aboard one night at a time in Liberty Harbor, and several nights at a time at other port of call.

I'm actually heading to Boston tomorrow and will be sleeping on a 40' yacht in lieu of a hotel room (and cheaper!). I've done it before and it is extremely pleasant, assuming some minor wave action doesn't bother you.

Cheers to Jersey City being a harbor town!

I visit Boston occasionally, I'd love to get the info on that yacht. Sounds like a great way to break up a boring business trip.

Posted on: 2014/8/5 13:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I have met a few permanent live-aboards in the area. It's pretty neat. It can be very cost-effective, actually. And there is undoubtedly something whimsical about it. I've stayed aboard one night at a time in Liberty Harbor, and several nights at a time at other port of call.

I'm actually heading to Boston tomorrow and will be sleeping on a 40' yacht in lieu of a hotel room (and cheaper!). I've done it before and it is extremely pleasant, assuming some minor wave action doesn't bother you.

I do imagine, however, that your other half waking you up saying "We have a small leak" can take on a whole new meaning.

Posted on: 2014/8/5 11:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FakeGreenDress wrote:
Friend of mine spent a few months as the resident caretaker for a 54' sailboat over in Newport last winter. It was pretty neat getting to hang out on a boat, and he found the marina was a friendly community. Everyone knew everyone.

Kind of reminds me of a trailer park.

Posted on: 2014/8/5 11:01
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/5 6:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/2 19:21
From JC Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Check out this article. It's about the artist that lives in the boat pictured on the right.

http://www.chicpeajc.com/fun/art/hulbertwaldroup/

Posted on: 2014/8/5 1:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/18 2:12
From Beautiful Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Living on a boat ? I recommend these depending on your budget:
Resized Image Resized Image

The boats on the left were in the Newport Marina last week, are worth millions, spend hundreds per night in dock fees, and travel up and down the east coast burning 100 gallons of diesel fuel per hour.

The boat on the right is the best "house boat" for a person on a budget I have ever seen with 1000 spare feet of living space this boat is presently docked at Liberty Harbor and was at Liberty Landing last year. There are a few people living on it right now. I estimate that the dock fees are more than $12,000 per year. The problem with any old boat is the never-ending maintenance.

If you compare price per square foot you will get a better deal living in an apartment in most situations.

Another thing is the most desirable marinas for the entire NY Harbor are in Jersey City; 3 marinas in the Morris Canal and the Newport Marina are all booked so you will be lucky to get a dock at one of these marinas for 2015 if you reserve now! A desirable marina has to do with calm water; the boats at the Hudson River end of the Newport Marina are bouncing like crazy every time a wave comes into the marina! about every 15 minutes during the daytime.

LIKE - JERSEY CITY LIST on facebook

Posted on: 2014/8/5 1:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Had a sailboat there for a while during the summer months. There are areas that are friendly, quiet and easy to access -- other areas, not so much. The dock I was at washed away (it was on the north side) with Sandy and I don't know if it was ever replaced.

The novelty of boat living is fun for a while, but you'd need a fairly large boat if you want to transition from a one bedroom in to something that's comparable. The longer the boat, the more you pay for your slip. Summer living on a boat is fun and glamorous, but if you're doing it year round, you'll want to wrap your boat (see the white wrapping around about 1/3 of the boats come winter time) and you'll either need to know how to do that yourself, hire someone to do it, or get really friendly with your neighbors so they'll do it for free. The wrapping is temporary, so that'll be a reoccurring cost every year.

If you've never used a marine shower & toilet, I'd advise you to try it before you invest in a boat and realize you have to pump your own shit down a hole every time.

Good luck :)

Posted on: 2014/8/4 23:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
talked to a british woman this past winter who is a "live-aboard" and apparently there are several in JC

Posted on: 2014/8/4 22:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Friend of mine spent a few months as the resident caretaker for a 54' sailboat over in Newport last winter. It was pretty neat getting to hang out on a boat, and he found the marina was a friendly community. Everyone knew everyone.

Posted on: 2014/8/4 22:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
I know one person who lives on his boat in the Liberty Harbor Marina and he enjoys it.

Posted on: 2014/8/4 19:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/25 12:21
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I'm wondering the same thing. I was on Craigslist this weekend and someone posted their yacht as a 2 bedroom place to live with views of WTC. Sounded very interesting.

Posted on: 2014/8/4 19:26

Living on a boat
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Hello,

Is anyone on this forum living part-time / full-time on a boat? When I go to LSP, I see many boats that seem to be plenty big enough for people to live in them (I know absolutely nothing about boat). Knowing nothing about it, makes me curious. Will you share your take on living on a boat?

Atsushi

Posted on: 2014/8/4 18:49

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017