Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
140 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 140

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

Re: A LETTER TO THE JERK OFF RIDING A BIKE ON THE SIDEWALK THIS FINE MONDAY MORNING
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Because a lot more people walk than bike my experience (mostly on the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway) is that pedestrians are, proportionally, just as rude and clueless as 'sidewalk biker' was today.

Whether it's nannies walking four abreast with baby carriages, or the smokers out enjoying a cigarette, or the tourists stopping to take pictures, or most commonly those walking in a zig-zag manner when they have their nose in their smartphone reading an email or texting-my alert has gone from 'excuse me' to 'look up!' to 'buy a fucking clue' depending on the chance of them getting run over because of their behavior.

your analogy is flawed by the simple fact that walkers are going 3 miles an hour, tops.

and if they're getting in your way? GET OFF THE GODDAMNED SIDEWALK.

Posted on: 2014/8/4 17:03

Re: A LETTER TO THE JERK OFF RIDING A BIKE ON THE SIDEWALK THIS FINE MONDAY MORNING
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
There's a woman who rides her brown cruiser with sunflowers down Jersey Ave then hooks left onto Newark every morning. She's a pinball, bouncing from one side of the street to the other, diagonal across intersections, sidewalk, head on into traffic, whatever. The best part is that she "used" to wear a helmet. I'm waiting for the day that I get to call 911.

Posted on: 2014/8/4 16:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Because a lot more people walk than bike my experience (mostly on the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway) is that pedestrians are, proportionally, just as rude and clueless as 'sidewalk biker' was today.

Whether it's nannies walking four abreast with baby carriages, or the smokers out enjoying a cigarette, or the tourists stopping to take pictures, or most commonly those walking in a zig-zag manner when they have their nose in their smartphone reading an email or texting-my alert has gone from 'excuse me' to 'look up!' to 'buy a fucking clue' depending on the chance of them getting run over because of their behavior.

Posted on: 2014/8/4 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
I notice the ones riding on sidewalks are decadent, gang like thugs who don't usually bike and are ready to snap your head off if you scold them.

I notice they're businessmen.

Posted on: 2014/8/4 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
I wonder if this was the same bike-riding asshat who played chicken with me on the narrow, one-person-wide stretch of sidewalk on 2nd street.

nah, I'm sure it was one of several asshats making their way through JC this morning.

Bet that was him. I was on 2nd Street (on the south side sidewalk). He was dressed as a business man with a messenger bag.

Yup. Don't know if you noticed the added value of earbuds jammed into his douchey ears. Because if you're not going to look out for people/kids/dogs, why listen for them? Better to just rock out.

Posted on: 2014/8/4 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:
It's strange - riding on the sidewalk seems to be worse lately than ever... and we now have bike lanes! On one hand, good that more people are cycling (which, I think, is what this means) but on the other... goddamn! Get the hell off the sidewalk.

I've started asking people to ride in the street, which is about as effective as trying to fly by flapping my arms. I'd say not getting run over by a bike on the sidewalk would be a basic characteristic of a good (not even anywhere near the best) midsized city...

My arms are getting tired. Watch stepping out of stores or they'll run ya down. I notice the ones riding on sidewalks are decadent, gang like thugs who don't usually bike and are ready to snap your head off if you scold them.

Posted on: 2014/8/4 16:27
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
I wonder if this was the same bike-riding asshat who played chicken with me on the narrow, one-person-wide stretch of sidewalk on 2nd street.

nah, I'm sure it was one of several asshats making their way through JC this morning.

Bet that was him. I was on 2nd Street (on the south side sidewalk). He was dressed as a business man with a messenger bag. Sidewalk was narrow. He came out of nowhere and tried to maneuver between a couple with a stroller, a telephone pole only to confront an oncoming pedestrian. Me. I was almost hit by him and he skidded to a stop. I was shocked and didn't know to go left or right & then went towards my office door. My brief hesitation had him accuse me of intentionally getting in his way to make a point. I wasn't making any point other than, "huh? biker almost hit me".

Ironically the other side of the street had a wide, empty sidewalk and parking lot as it was BJ's and Shoprite's backlot. If I was riding my bike, I'd have chosen that. There are a lot of amazing bikers in this 'hood. I love to bike. I love the new bike lanes. A few years back I'd ride on the sidewalks with my wife to get to Liberty State Park when it was 7 am and I was on narrow roads nervous about drivers but hopped off the sidewalk if I saw pedestrians coming. Not great bike behavior, but was nervous about the speeding drivers in the neighborhood. No so anymore, but due to my past behavior I tend to be soft on bikers....but this douche was outright offensive and yelled at me like I was a jerk off. It was nerve racking actually.

Hate wasting any more time writing about d*cks like that. They don't represent the majority of riders but he deserves to be called out. I pity the guy. He must be a sad little man who needs a refill on his meds.

Posted on: 2014/8/4 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/4 16:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
It's strange - riding on the sidewalk seems to be worse lately than ever... and we now have bike lanes! On one hand, good that more people are cycling (which, I think, is what this means) but on the other... goddamn! Get the hell off the sidewalk.

I've started asking people to ride in the street, which is about as effective as trying to fly by flapping my arms. I'd say not getting run over by a bike on the sidewalk would be a basic characteristic of a good (not even anywhere near the best) midsized city...

Posted on: 2014/8/4 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Well done. Look up the "Motherf***ing Bike" video on Youtube. That says it all.

Posted on: 2014/8/4 15:50

A LETTER TO THE JERK OFF RIDING A BIKE ON THE SIDEWALK THIS FINE MONDAY MORNING
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
I bet those dudes at the water cooler this morning nodded with agreement when you shared the story about what a jerk-off I was to dare walk the side walk in to my office in front of your bike this morning. I mean, it is a SIDE WALK, it?s a place where self entitled douches such as yourself deserve to ride their bikes at high speed maneuvering around the likes of people like me and parents with baby strollers (those pesky families walking on a sidewalk only to get in your way!) who evidently set you off on a collision course towards me!

You know, it would have been awful and probably against your douche philosophy to go, ?Oh sh*t, my bad.? and I would say, ?Oh Sh*t I didn?t see you pop out of nowhere.? as my body almost met your front wheel and I?d think, ?well, sometimes a dude has got to ride on a sidewalk in this town to be safe?? and I?d left it at that. Maybe I'd be thinking as I sat down at my desk, "Hey, don't they have bike lanes in this city now?" But regardless, I wouldn?t have thought you were so much of a jerk if you didn?t yell that I was one because I didn?t get out of your way. We would have gone on with our day while I?d think, ?my this place it getting nicer and nicer to live!? and you?d think, ?Heck, I gotta be careful when I whip around people when I?m riding on the sidewalk as I could run in to other people being that it?s a sidewalk and all.? But instead you whipped around the parents with their stroller only to stop in front of me and chastise me for not getting out of your way, in fact you went as far to accuse me of intentionally getting in your way. Note to douche - did you SEE the door on your right I was crossing to get in to? I wasn?t trying to smash in to your front wheel, I was trying to walk in to my office building. I?d love to see how you spin this. But take note, perhaps those dudes by your water cooler nodding in agreement when you share your story of the jerk who intentionally got in your way? Maybe when they go home they?re saying to their significant other, ?You know that douche at work? You?re not going to believe what other asshole move he did today, when is Ted going to fire him??. Or maybe when you pillow talk with your significant other how frustrating it is to ride your bike around pedestrians these days because they intentionally walk in your way on sidewalks? I suspect they may just be humoring you while figuring out how to find sweet walking Ted on Grindr again.

Stop making bikers look bad pal. There?s another way...

Posted on: 2014/8/4 15:28

Re: To JC Bikers Who Ride on Sidewalks...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
I saw a J.C. police officer travelling west bound on Pavonia Ave. on city issued police bicycle with the flow of traffic on the street. The cop was texting on his cell phone and went through the stop sign while doing so. This was between Monmouth & Brunswick Streets in Downtown J.C. .

I wonder if it was the same cop I saw going against the flow of traffic on Erie, outside of the bike lane, helmet dangling from his handlebars.

Way to lead by example, JC's finest.

Posted on: 2014/7/1 0:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I saw a J.C. police officer travelling west bound on Pavonia Ave. on city issued police bicycle with the flow of traffic on the street. The cop was texting on his cell phone and went through the stop sign while doing so. This was between Monmouth & Brunswick Streets in Downtown J.C. .

Posted on: 2014/6/30 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Riding against traffic on the left side of a one-way street will create an unwanted impact when the biker approaches the corner of on-coming traffic. Especially if the oncoming car is turning the same corner.

Posted on: 2014/6/30 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
It's not just about the law... it is about courtesy and regard for others. Yesterday, some ghetto trash was bike riding in LSP, on Freedom Way, against traffic, in the middle of the lane. Oncoming traffic was being forced to slow down and hit the brakes to allow him to get around vehicles. That's just being an asshat.

All over downtown this weekend, saw people riding against traffic on the lanes. Doing a half job will prove to be problematic long term. As more people continue to ride the wrong way on these lanes, they will become accustomed to doing so, and once the lanes are actually finished it will be too late, as they will continue to ride the wrong way.

Posted on: 2014/6/30 17:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

Not at all justifying "salmoning", but you really should be looking both ways when crossing a street, especially in a densely populated city like JC. That's basic street safety taught to kids!

I'm amazed at the amount of people that blindly walk into streets with out looking. And yes I salmon.

how dare they ignore basic safety practices and put themselves in danger of you, as you ignore basic safety practices.

replace "safety practices" with "traffic laws" or "courtesy," and you're pretty much quoting the JC manifesto.

Posted on: 2014/6/30 0:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

Not at all justifying "salmoning", but you really should be looking both ways when crossing a street, especially in a densely populated city like JC. That's basic street safety taught to kids!

I'm amazed at the amount of people that blindly walk into streets with out looking. And yes I salmon.

how dare they ignore basic safety practices and put themselves in danger of you, as you ignore basic safety practices.

Posted on: 2014/6/29 5:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

I'm amazed at the amount of people that blindly walk into streets with out looking.

Yeah, I probably shouldn't do that.

[quote] And yes I salmon. [quote]

Yeah, you really shouldn't do that.

Posted on: 2014/6/28 3:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I think I read on another thread somewhere that arrows were eventually going to be painted, but honestly, we all know that the gains will be marginal. I've made it common practice that if I have another rider coming at me in the bike lane, I simply stop and put a foot down, and eyeball the sh!t out of them until they pass. Im not going to do this ridiculous game of chicken where I need to look over my shoulder for traffic, all the while guessing his speed and if he plans to pass on my left or right. Stopping and staring while they ride head on into traffic is much more satisfying.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 17:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Yellow paint and stencil, then hit the problem 'hot-spots'!

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/6/27 15:47
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Almost ran down two kids salmoning the other day. A**holes. They were not only doing that, but going straight through a stop sign without pause.

I ride a bike and motorcycle, and prefer not to be a self absorbed jackass who puts the grief of killing someone on some innocent driver. Aside from that, a pedestrian has right of way over a bike.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 15:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

thank you. I'm amazed at the amount of people that blindly walk into streets with out looking. And yes I salmon.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
so, has anyone else noticed an increase in salmoning, now that the bike lanes are here?
it's great that they seem to have lead to more bike use downtown, but it also appears that people are interpreting the bike lanes as 2-way, even on one-way streets.
I've already almost gotten nailed by bikes a few times, because I'm only looking in the direction I expect traffic to be coming from.
anybody know if there are plans to paint arrows in the lanes?
and speaking of painting, it's been over 50-degrees for awhile now. when do you suppose the new stop signs will get accompanied by much-needed "STOP" paint on the roadway?
Jersey City, where half-done is done.

First off didn't your mother tell you to "look both ways" when crossing ? As far as painted stop signs check with you local council person or Traffic & Engineering div in the DPW. I am getting tired of day laborers riding on sidewalks in either direction with no lighting. Just the other day a young businessman was riding his scooter on the sidewalk opposite the traffic flow crosses the street without breaking his stride. I nearly hit him.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 13:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
I've already almost gotten nailed by bikes a few times, because I'm only looking in the direction I expect traffic to be coming from.

Quote:

Perhaps because JC government believes this:
Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/6/27 4:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
so, has anyone else noticed an increase in salmoning, now that the bike lanes are here?

it's great that they seem to have lead to more bike use downtown, but it also appears that people are interpreting the bike lanes as 2-way, even on one-way streets.

anybody know if there are plans to paint arrows in the lanes?

and speaking of painting, it's been over 50-degrees for awhile now. when do you suppose the new stop signs will get accompanied by much-needed "STOP" paint on the roadway?

Posted on: 2014/6/27 2:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Ultimately, given the inability or unwillingness to do anything about enforcing vehicular safety laws, the only real answer will be some sort of subsidy for pedestrians to buy helmets to level the playing field.

90 years and counting, and outrage alone hasn't gotten us anywhere LOL. Someone should invent a personal, wearable air-bag!
Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/5/29 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Ultimately, given the inability or unwillingness to do anything about enforcing vehicular safety laws, the only real answer will be some sort of subsidy for pedestrians to buy helmets to level the playing field.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 12:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
A short article listing ways to not become an "Bike Accident Statistic"

http://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews ... ing-an-accident-statistic

10. Stay off sidewalks: A surprising percentage of car/bike crashes occur when turning drivers run into cyclists coming off a sidewalk because they don?t see you or you are going faster than they expect.

Posted on: 2014/5/28 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

owlie wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

jedo1 wrote:
...If you're too SCARED to ride on the street without a bike lane, then do everyone a favor and sell your bike, then you won't have everyone quietly wondering why you're such a moron.

Thanks!

Why didn't I think of that!? Get rid of my bike, and be one more d-bag in a car contributing to the problem of congestion, air-pollution, paving over of every scrap of grass sidewalk median for another parking spot.

No. The majority of the people on this board push the car-centric status quo, and they are creating more problems than just people riding their bikes on the sidewalk. We live in a CITY for Pete's sake, yet too many people carry on like this is Levittown West...

Here is a little something to add to the conversational fray - a small but growing contingent of bicycle riders are arguing that the push to mandate helmet use is a plot by the automobile industry to promote a culture of fear, to dissuade people from riding bikes at all - http://www.bikehugger.com/post/view/whats-with-all-the-helmet-hati Hmmm...

That last comment was ridiculous. To say, ""Here is a little something to add to the conversational fray - a small but growing contingent of bicycle riders are arguing that the push to mandate helmet use is a plot by the automobile industry to promote a culture of fear, to dissuade people from riding bikes at all -" Do you think the automobile industry plotted to force motorcyclists into wearing helmets? Only an idiot wouldn't wear a helmet on a motorcycle or a bicycle!
Also, we are off the subject now. The subject is about people who ride their bikes on the sidewalk. If bicycles are allowed on the sidewalks, perhaps the next thing will be to accept motorcycles on the sidewalks as well? I do wish people would speak up when they see infractions like this. Riding on the sidewalk is a form of aggression and makes for an uncivilized society. (a similar act of aggression is when people drop their trash on the ground and keep walking). Why should we pay union members to have to clean up after irresponsible individuals? I am damned sick of it.

What's idiotic is making a blanket statement "only an idiot" wouldn't wear a helmet when bicycling, without providing any real information to back it up (even a link! Here is another link questioning the efficacy of helmets: http://bicyclesafe.com/helmets.html), not to mention compartmentalizng the issues - "the subject is about people who ride their bicycles on sidewalks" - without understanding the connection. Can you disprove that these people ride on sidewalks because the roads in JC (which OF COURSE IS SUPPOSED TO BE USED BY BICYCLES!) are something out of "Rollerball", or perceived to be dangerous by bicyclists?

What's idiotic, IMO, is equating riding a bike on a sidewalk, because you are unable to use the shared road due to bad drivers, JC's failure to maintain it's infrastructure with dropping a candy wrapper on the sidewalk.

Posted on: 2014/5/28 18:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/14 16:17
Group:
Registered Users
Here's the entire video:

http://www.whydontyoutrythis.com/2014 ... things-in-bike-lanes.html

Dude was protesting being ticketed - officer told him
he must always be in bike lane.

Posted on: 2014/5/20 13:04