Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Downtown JC car break-ins (5th Street)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Looking at the tech articles on the subject, it looks like the thieves are doing one of 3 things:

1. Jammer attack. Using a Jammer to prevent the car locking when you leave the car. http://didriksen.im/category/security/#4.3

2. Relay attack. Using a "Repeater" to make your car think the key fob is closer than it actually is. You car fob could be sitting in your home, and the thief could use a repeater to open your car if it's parked nearby.
http://didriksen.im/category/security/#4.2

3. Cryptoanalytic attack. Capturing the unlock code, then breaking the code to obtain the next unlock code. http://didriksen.im/category/security/#4.1.3

Steps you can take:
1. Make sure your car door is locked - I press lock button twice and my car chirps and flashes back. Or simply test the handle.
2. Store your key fob inside a tinfoil cup, altoid tin, mylar bag or RFID blocker wallet when not in use - even inside your house.
3. Shield your fob when opening your car. You can probably rig a simple tinfoil tube or mylar bag around your key fob so that the open signal is transmitted in one direction. If your car has a proximity based (PKES) system, you likely need to remove the shielding before you can start your car.

Some references:

http://didriksen.im/2013/09/19/attack ... ectronic-car-key-systems/
http://www.tech-faq.com/rfid-skimmer.html
http://autos.aol.com/article/protect-smart-keys-from-hackers/
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/ ... /rfid-ignition-system.htm

Posted on: 2014/8/4 23:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/30 5:40
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
I live on 8th st. (but park anywhere from 9th-7th and sometimes on Erie or Jersey)...something similar just happened to me and I feel like a total lunatic. I went to charge my phone in my car today and my charger was missing. I then checked the rest of my car and some pens were missing too-but the dog toy and book I had in my car were still there. There's no way I could have lost my charger (it's stuck into the armrest and you would have to lift up the armrest to get it to come out) and I know that I had it as early as two days ago. I wouldn't have thought it was a break-in except for this forum and I called the non-emergency police just to report it, they basically thought I was crazy. When I asked if they have heard of anything like this happening they said not in this area at all. Ahhh! Am I crazy or was this a real break-in??

Posted on: 2014/8/4 21:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2014/8/4 20:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
This happened to me a few months back - I was sure I locked the doors and came back to find someone had rooted around inside. Oddly, they didn't take my fast-food wrappers and empty Coke can. It drove me crazy trying to figure out how they got in. This hacking thing is ominous, but I'm glad to hear it's not just me going insane.

Posted on: 2014/8/4 13:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/2 14:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/2/23 1:38
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Same. No windows broken, just missing items, limited to loose change and sunglasses (GPS was still in there, as it turns out). So bizarre. Thanks!

Posted on: 2014/8/2 13:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
This happened to me at 5th & Brunswick. So I know it is real -- my doors were unlocked on my Ford -- and I know I had locked them. Seems like some type of electronic device that grabs the code from your smart key and then somehow uses it later!

Posted on: 2014/8/1 14:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

RoxxxyMusic1979 wrote:
My car was broken into in my driveway a while back, driver side window smashed during the overnight. They took change, an old PalmPilot (Outmoded bit of tech but had data useful only to me), don't know what else. Called JCPD, South Precinct. Officer was prompt to respond, inspected the damage, and turned to leave. I asked "Aren't you going to write up a report?" He answered: "Why?"

Why, indeed...

Well then that cop is stupid. The point of a report is to have a record of stolen property. If someone had been caught soon after and they had a bag full of GPS units or whatever but there were no reports of stolen property/burglaries then the cops who could only hold the suspect for a limited time. Every victim should insist that a record is made. I actually know people who got stolen property back, bicycles, an antique etc. because they made a record of the crime and property taken.

Posted on: 2014/8/1 14:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/2 2:24
Group:
Registered Users
My car was broken into in my driveway a while back, driver side window smashed during the overnight. They took change, an old PalmPilot (Outmoded bit of tech but had data useful only to me), don't know what else. Called JCPD, South Precinct. Officer was prompt to respond, inspected the damage, and turned to leave. I asked "Aren't you going to write up a report?" He answered: "Why?"

Why, indeed...

Posted on: 2014/8/1 14:19

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/26 13:02
Group:
Registered Users
This makes me feel slightly less insane. A few weeks ago I was parked (on 5th between Coles and Monmouth) and when I went to my car everything was out of my center console and on the passenger seat. At first I thought it was my BF's passive aggressive way of telling me to clean out the center console, but he didn't do it. When I looked, the only thing that was missing was (maybe) a gps. I say maybe because I haven't used it in years and it may be lost on it's own. The stranger part was that there was some money ($5 or so) left untouched in another area. Same thing with other cars, no damage, which is why I wasn't even sure anyone had actually broken in or if maybe I was going a little crazy.

Posted on: 2014/8/1 13:23

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/5 19:42
Group:
Registered Users
This happened to me when I was living on Jersey and 5th a few years ago. I got in my car and it stunk like cigarettes (I don't smoke), then I noticed my GPS was gone and all of the change I keep in my car. I could have sworn it was locked, but had no idea how they go in as no windows were broke.

A few weeks back I saw a suspicious looking guy (wraggly clothes, something just looked off) standing out side of my apartment, around 1st and Erie, pressed up against the chain link fence starring at that new building that was going up. I was waiting for my girlfriend just standing outside and I see this guy going around car to car, he had a bag and was pulling out what looked to be like remote car keys or something. It seemed like he was using them to try and unlock cars as he went around to a few. I called the cops and gave them a full description but I had to leave at that point so I'm not sure what came to be of it.

Ever since then I had wondered maybe someone used some kind of remote to get into my car, no holes under the locks or anything was found.

Posted on: 2014/7/31 19:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
For example, I know cars like Mercs and Audis used to be susceptible to having a small hole punched with a screwdriver just beneath the drivers handle

Method below with photo. Not a legend. Happened to both my brother and a close friend.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/crime/a/Hole-Under-Door-Lock.htm

Posted on: 2014/7/31 18:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Would anyone mind saying what kind of car they have to see if there's a pattern? Perhaps someone is going around with a universal remote locking device that targets a specific make/model of car.

Posted on: 2014/7/31 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dts wrote:
Our car was broken into on 2nd Street last week. I assumed that we had left it unlocked since there was no damage or broken windows, but maybe not?! I didn't bother with the police since I figured it was our fault.

Very stupid not to call the police tho. Even if u left your door locks open, no one has the right to remove your property inside.

Posted on: 2014/7/31 16:29

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/9 18:21
Group:
Registered Users
Our car was broken into on 2nd Street last week. I assumed that we had left it unlocked since there was no damage or broken windows, but maybe not?! I didn't bother with the police since I figured it was our fault.

Posted on: 2014/7/31 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jctexan wrote:
My husband's car has been broken into several times, but we've never heard the alarm go off. They've only stolen sunglasses, coin change and possibly a gps. How are they getting in without setting off the alarm? We're dumbfounded.

Call the cops, they should know what technique the perps are using. Probably the same addicts keep coming back till they are caught or get nervous. But Yes, Call the cops!

Posted on: 2014/7/31 15:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
My car was broken into while it sat in a downtown garage. No damage was done to the car.

I was told in all likelihood the thief used an electronic gadget to unlock the car and disable the alarm.

I found this:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/natio ... -report-article-1.1363627

Posted on: 2014/7/31 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

denised wrote:
I think we need more details about the break-ins. I used to live in Astoria and had this happen to my car. If this is happening here I will not be happy. Did they break a window or break the locks? And did you have stuff sitting out in the car that would attract someone to it? And has it happened to other cars on your street or just yours? I'm really sorry to hear about this and I know how much of an inconvenience this causes.

Search the forums - think you will find examples. Doesn't seem to be a frequent as it used to be - but perhaps that's just my perception of it.

Posted on: 2014/7/31 14:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/4 10:26
Group:
Registered Users
I think we need more details about the break-ins. I used to live in Astoria and had this happen to my car. If this is happening here I will not be happy. Did they break a window or break the locks? And did you have stuff sitting out in the car that would attract someone to it? And has it happened to other cars on your street or just yours? I'm really sorry to hear about this and I know how much of an inconvenience this causes.

Posted on: 2014/7/31 12:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Google your make and model - you might find tricks used to break-in. For example, I know cars like Mercs and Audis used to be susceptible to having a small hole punched with a screwdriver just beneath the drivers handle. It would trigger a "fail open" - the car would think it was in a crash, unlock doors and wind down windows.

Posted on: 2014/7/31 11:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Do you have the alarm that came from the factory? Are they breaking a window to get in? Most of the time the factory alarms only go off if a door is open or the engine is started.

Posted on: 2014/7/31 9:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
I hope you are calling this into The JCPD so they know there's a problem in the area.

Posted on: 2014/7/31 9:33

Downtown JC car break-ins (5th Street)
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/2/23 1:38
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
My husband's car has been broken into several times, but we've never heard the alarm go off. They've only stolen sunglasses, coin change and possibly a gps. How are they getting in without setting off the alarm? We're dumbfounded.

Posted on: 2014/7/31 5:22

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017