Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 10 »

Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
I've actually been impressed with the amount FOL has accomplished, within the limitations imposed by their landlord (the city). That said, I only know about it because of the recent posts on their website detailing their renovation work, which has only been actively updated since this whole Fulop RFP situation.

When I talk to people involved in the art scene in JC, and lots of downtown residents, few have any idea who FOL is or what they do. ESPECIALLY the younger contingent (under 40) who are very politically active and largely voted for Fulop. If FOL had the kind of social media engagement they have now, but starting 5 years ago, they would have had potentially 10K+ supporters comprised of the most politically active citizens of JC instead of the ~2K signing their petition. A real missed opportunity.

I think my stance at this point is that the FOL are technically correct about their lease, but too much public perception is that they are ineffectual and disorganized or people have no idea who they are. And many of those people who have no opinion or a negative opinion of them are siding with Fulop because he has a history of supporting the arts in downtown (judging the 4th st arts cook offs, etc.).

The FOL has been at this for 10+ years. When they started they had a decent sized volunteer group which has dwindled down to a handful. You never find more than a couple of people there at any given time. It is sad but if the Loew's is to attain any type of status, the big dogs have to be brought in.

And there were a heck of a lot less than 50 events they say they hold a year.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 11:24

Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
so "we're going to give even MORE money to somebody else."

What money is the city promising AEG?

Posted on: 2014/7/29 1:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

If FOL had the kind of social media engagement they have now, but starting 5 years ago, they would have had potentially 10K+ supporters comprised of the most politically active citizens of JC instead of the ~2K signing their petition. A real missed opportunity.

It a bit more than that. There's been no buzz around the events held at Loews. No marketing - grassroots or otherwise. Case in point - I don't think I've ever seen anything on JCList, in the calendar, nor on topics, giving what's happening at Loews. Or perhaps simply nothing has caught my attention. I've seen more events advertised for Harsimus Cemetary - that speaks volumes.

A renovated theater is all well and good. But it might as well be a museum without better event marketing.

it really kills me that the city, after saying for years "we're not going to give you the money you need to properly run this theater" can now turn around and claim that the theater was not properly run, so "we're going to give even MORE money to somebody else."

Posted on: 2014/7/29 1:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

If FOL had the kind of social media engagement they have now, but starting 5 years ago, they would have had potentially 10K+ supporters comprised of the most politically active citizens of JC instead of the ~2K signing their petition. A real missed opportunity.

It a bit more than that. There's been no buzz around the events held at Loews. No marketing - grassroots or otherwise. Case in point - I don't think I've ever seen anything on JCList, in the calendar, nor on topics, giving what's happening at Loews. Or perhaps simply nothing has caught my attention. I've seen more events advertised for Harsimus Cemetary - that speaks volumes.

A renovated theater is all well and good. But it might as well be a museum without better event marketing.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
I've actually been impressed with the amount FOL has accomplished, within the limitations imposed by their landlord (the city). That said, I only know about it because of the recent posts on their website detailing their renovation work, which has only been actively updated since this whole Fulop RFP situation.

When I talk to people involved in the art scene in JC, and lots of downtown residents, few have any idea who FOL is or what they do. ESPECIALLY the younger contingent (under 40) who are very politically active and largely voted for Fulop. If FOL had the kind of social media engagement they have now, but starting 5 years ago, they would have had potentially 10K+ supporters comprised of the most politically active citizens of JC instead of the ~2K signing their petition. A real missed opportunity.

I think my stance at this point is that the FOL are technically correct about their lease, but too much public perception is that they are ineffectual and disorganized or people have no idea who they are. And many of those people who have no opinion or a negative opinion of them are siding with Fulop because he has a history of supporting the arts in downtown (judging the 4th st arts cook offs, etc.).

Posted on: 2014/7/28 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I think I've only ever stepped inside Loews once in the 16 years I've lived in JC, and that was for a volunteer opportunities event - and that frankly could have been held in any community center.

Given it's accessibility, there's no reason Loews can't be on the off-Broadway map. I'd love to see shows like Stomp, De La Guarda, Blue Man Group there. As well as cutting-edge theater productions - like overseas imports - a proving ground for Broadway.

All I can see is a pretty bare events calendar:

http://www.loewsjersey.org/eventsched ... nth.calendar/2014/08/28/-

Posted on: 2014/7/28 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
"lucrative jobs" hahahahaha
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
imo, fol really needs to step aside and let the area progress...it is clear ad has been clear for the past 10 years that fol can not make this venue successful.

what exactlt is fol proposing to make this public-ly owned asset a success! i feel like boycotting the movies at the theater now.

The FOL suffers from a lack of manpower more than anything. Something that sadly affects all volunteer efforts on many fronts. It is time to let another entity come in and get things moving. But the FOL is not to be left out in the cold from my understanding. Once the theater is restored the FOL will be given access to 50 days for community based shows which is more than we have seen in the past and with double the capacity.

If it's true that FOL will still get 50 days a year, then I guess I can accept what's going on. I just really want to make sure we still get things like movies with the organist, film fests, and other events. 50 days a year is pretty good, and about what they do right now.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 15:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/20 20:36
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
So for FOL, is this really about;

Doing what's best for Journal Square, the theater and its restoration?

Keeping their lucrative jobs?

Not hurting their pride and ego?

Posted on: 2014/7/28 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
imo, fol really needs to step aside and let the area progress...it is clear ad has been clear for the past 10 years that fol can not make this venue successful.

what exactlt is fol proposing to make this public-ly owned asset a success! i feel like boycotting the movies at the theater now.

The FOL suffers from a lack of manpower more than anything. Something that sadly affects all volunteer efforts on many fronts. It is time to let another entity come in and get things moving. But the FOL is not to be left out in the cold from my understanding. Once the theater is restored the FOL will be given access to 50 days for community based shows which is more than we have seen in the past and with double the capacity.

Posted on: 2014/7/27 20:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/27 19:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Any sympathy or respect I had for the FOL is now gone with this hiring.

Are you referring to Tarkan? Why?

I would tell you on these pages but she would sue me for damaging her reputation.

Posted on: 2014/7/27 18:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:

Are you referring to Tarkan? Why?

Posted on: 2014/7/27 18:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Judge overrules himself, puts lawsuit filed by Jersey City Loew's group back on track

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on July 25, 2014 at 5:15 PM, updated July 25, 2014 at 6:33 PM

The nonprofit group that manages Jersey City's Landmark Loew's Jersey Theatre is celebrating a surprising court victory today, one that could put the brakes on Mayor Steve Fulop's plan to have concert promoter AEG Live take over management of the former movie palace.

Working with a new attorney, Friends of the Loew's (FOL) convinced Hudson County Superior Court Judge Hector Velazquez that it may indeed have a valid lease with Jersey City that would prevent AEG from taking over.

Only last month, Velazquez tossed the suit, ruling that the lease was not valid. After today's decision, the lawsuit is back on.

"The judge said, 'I was wrong,'" said Roberta Tarkan, FOL's new attorney. "We're back to square one."

According to Tarkan, Velazquez changed his mind after seeing a 2009 ordinance adopted by the City Council that "everyone just overlooked." The judge did not issue an order keeping the city from moving ahead with the AEG takeover.

Fulop has said that the restoration of the 85-year-old Loew's is a vital component to revitalizing Journal Square. Under a proposal approved last month, AEG, one of the world's biggest concert promoters, would pay $350,000 annually to rent the theater for 30 years and contribute $3.5 million toward its renovation.

FOL, which is opposed to Fulop's plan for the Loew's, saying it will turn the theater into a commercial concert venue instead of an arts center, argues that its five-year lease with the city, which was finalized in 2004, gave it two 5-year extension options.

Jersey City has argued that since the city never ratified FOL's request for a lease extension, the lease is null and void.

Colin Egan, who runs FOL, is thrilled about today's development.

"It's just another step and there's a lot more steps to go, but we're certainly pleased that the judge will hear more information," he told The Jersey Journal.

In a statement, city spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill sounded confident that today's decision will not ultimately harm the city's plans to bring in AEG.

"This is nothing more than a procedural step and will unfortunately add time until we can open a renovated theater for Jersey City residents," Morrill said. "In the long term, it doesn't change one thing about the direction we are going other than this being an attempt to use the courts to try and run out the clock."

Fulop has said that FOL was asked to participate in the city's plan to transform the Loew's. AEG has pledged to commit to allowing FOL to host at least 20 events per year at the theater.partner with New Jersey City University and Mana Contemporary to offer 40 community events annually.

JJ Link

Posted on: 2014/7/27 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Judge overrules himself, puts lawsuit filed by Jersey City Loew's group back on track

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on July 25, 2014 at 5:15 PM, updated July 25, 2014 at 6:33 PM

The nonprofit group that manages Jersey City's Landmark Loew's Jersey Theatre is celebrating a surprising court victory today, one that could put the brakes on Mayor Steve Fulop's plan to have concert promoter AEG Live take over management of the former movie palace.

Working with a new attorney, Friends of the Loew's (FOL) convinced Hudson County Superior Court Judge Hector Velazquez that it may indeed have a valid lease with Jersey City that would prevent AEG from taking over.

Only last month, Velazquez tossed the suit, ruling that the lease was not valid. After today's decision, the lawsuit is back on.

"The judge said, 'I was wrong,'" said Roberta Tarkan, FOL's new attorney. "We're back to square one."

According to Tarkan, Velazquez changed his mind after seeing a 2009 ordinance adopted by the City Council that "everyone just overlooked." The judge did not issue an order keeping the city from moving ahead with the AEG takeover.

Fulop has said that the restoration of the 85-year-old Loew's is a vital component to revitalizing Journal Square. Under a proposal approved last month, AEG, one of the world's biggest concert promoters, would pay $350,000 annually to rent the theater for 30 years and contribute $3.5 million toward its renovation.

FOL, which is opposed to Fulop's plan for the Loew's, saying it will turn the theater into a commercial concert venue instead of an arts center, argues that its five-year lease with the city, which was finalized in 2004, gave it two 5-year extension options.

Jersey City has argued that since the city never ratified FOL's request for a lease extension, the lease is null and void.

Colin Egan, who runs FOL, is thrilled about today's development.

"It's just another step and there's a lot more steps to go, but we're certainly pleased that the judge will hear more information," he told The Jersey Journal.

In a statement, city spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill sounded confident that today's decision will not ultimately harm the city's plans to bring in AEG.

"This is nothing more than a procedural step and will unfortunately add time until we can open a renovated theater for Jersey City residents," Morrill said. "In the long term, it doesn't change one thing about the direction we are going other than this being an attempt to use the courts to try and run out the clock."

Fulop has said that FOL was asked to participate in the city's plan to transform the Loew's. AEG has pledged to commit to allowing FOL to host at least 20 events per year at the theater.partner with New Jersey City University and Mana Contemporary to offer 40 community events annually.

JJ Link

Posted on: 2014/7/27 1:33

Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
You entire posting history and username are not 100% devoted to a single issue, supporting a politician who has made several sell outs of the public good in favor of expediency, and you are probably not a sock puppet.

Posted on: 2014/7/8 19:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FOLfax wrote:
This is at least the third time that you are accusing me of shilling for the Mayor.

I've never met the man and don't know anybody within his administration.

However, I am acutely aware of FOL and their inadequacies.

After spending eleven years on a project, you learn a lot. How many years have you worked with FOL?

Don't sweat it, dude. Here in JCList, I have been accused of:
- shilling for local restaurants (after posting positive and/or glowing reviews)
- being a ghetto hater (when pointing out some local issue in my neighborhood, which is commonly considered by most outsiders as a ghetto)
- being an asshole (because I ride a motorcycle)
- being clueless about bicycling and the related concerns/issues (despite being a daily commuter, in the past, and a once or twice per week commuter presently)
- a non supporter of local businesses (when I pointed out that charging for BYOB is illegal in NJ)
- being a shill for FiOS (because I spoke highly of their service)

And, I am sure I am missing many more. What can I say? Any positive remarks/feedback in JCList is instantely welcomed as a fake or shill.

Posted on: 2014/7/8 19:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/2/24 0:49
Group:
Registered Users
We want to check in and clarify additional points being discussed in this message forum.

Please see our blog post which addresses the following concerns:

- Does FOL Do Everything With Just Two People? The answer is very much NO.

- ?Professional? vs. ?Paid?: To begin with, ?volunteer? doesn?t equate to ?amateur?. ?Experienced? doesn?t necessarily mean ?commercial?. And ?professional? isn?t just a synonym for ?highly paid?.

- The Truth About FOL's Grants: There?s been some confusion about the grants Friends of the Loew?s won from the Hudson County Open Space Trust Fund: wrong dates, inaccurate descriptions and disjointed histories. We want to clear that up, so here?s detailed information.

- FOL, Garden State Theatre Organ Society and The Loew?s Organ: A recent post implying that Friends of the Loew?s claims credit for the restoration of the magnificent Wonder Morton Pipe Organ in the Loew?s is wrong? and frankly dishonors the close working relationship FOL has with our sister non-profit organization the Garden State Theatre Organ Society.

- FOL Over The Years: A few posts show confusion about what FOL has done at different times in the course of the Loew?s project, and why. FOL literally came into being, and has since been shaped by the need to deal with the extraordinary short-sightedness of successive Jersey City governments in regard to the Loew?s.

Throughout its history, FOL has mobilized to overcome the various effects of City neglect, inaction or sometimes even hostility to the Loew?s and FOL.

But what will happen if the City FINALLY keeps it commitment? We?ll be able to increase the size and number of shows. From a practical standpoint, that will require more paid staff. But the additional income from the shows will make that possible. The critical code-related work the City will fund will have to be done by contractors. In fact, a lot of the additional work the Theatre eventually needs will have to be done by contractors either because of its complexity or scale ? such as scaffolding the entire auditorium to repair and repaint the high ceilings. FOL will have to fundraise and seek grant for this ? but that will be possible if the city has finally kept its commitments, since we will finally be in a position to credibly explain to other funders why they should consider supporting the Loew?s. But in such a major undertaking and big building, there will always be the need for volunteer construction projects. And since the Loew?s has such a successful volunteer usher and show staff program, FOL would be foolish not to continue it for some programs, at least, as the Loew?s grows. FOL?s volunteer program may have begun as the only available means to try to accomplish our goal for the Loew?s, but it?s become an important way for FOL to keep the Loew?s connected to its community.

We invite you to learn more about the Friends of the Loew's and our initiative. As always, please do not hesitate to e-mail us at loewsjersey@gmail.com or call us at (201) 798-6055 if we can answer any questions or concerns directly.

How You Can Help:
- Sign this petition to share your support of FOL
- Get the word out by sharing our Facebook updates via FOL
- Follow us on Twitter: @loewsjersey
- Follow us on Instagram: @loewsjersey

(Edited to include link to Grant History)

Posted on: 2014/7/8 19:35

Edited by LoewsAtJSQ on 2014/7/8 20:02:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
The original core group of volunteers (who did the dirty work and heavy lifting to open the theater) and Board members recognized a decade ago that experienced management needed to come in to move the project forward.

It's frustrating that it's taken this long for it to happen but we couldn't be more pleased.

Posted on: 2014/7/8 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Moving forward... How is AEG, which currently runs the Prudential Center in Newark, going to be directing the events that it books? Here is a list of artists that AEG has under contract and can plug in to their venues.

Looking back... I feel as though I've been very fortunate to have had several occasions to venture inside the Loew's and am quite impressed with the work done and some of the events they try to put on. I recognize the hurt feelings that come into play here given the years of effort and hard work. However, look at the list of artists that AEG can pull from. FOL just doesn't have that in their back pocket.

Posted on: 2014/7/8 13:33
Dos A Cero

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/26 22:57
Group:
Registered Users
I've worked with FOL, recognize their issues, and still am very, very opposed with this AEG deal that the taxpayers will wind up paying for.

Posted on: 2014/7/8 12:27

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
This is at least the third time that you are accusing me of shilling for the Mayor.

I've never met the man and don't know anybody within his administration.

However, I am acutely aware of FOL and their inadequacies.

After spending eleven years on a project, you learn a lot. How many years have you worked with FOL?

Posted on: 2014/7/8 11:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
What is the matter with that? It's a fandom event. If you're going to shill for the mayor, try to do a little better.

Posted on: 2014/7/8 3:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
No offense to the Bronies but if this is the kind of show that FOL brings to the table...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqpWKpLYOUI

Posted on: 2014/7/8 2:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/3 4:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/2/24 0:49
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you to those who have voiced their support here on JCList. We will do our best to check in and address questions and comments to this post, but the best way to reach us is to e-mail loewsjersey@gmail.com or call 201-798-6055.

If you already know about the struggle Friends of the Loew?s is waging to uphold our vision of the Landmark Loew?s Jersey Theater as an arts center that?s rooted in our community while also serving our region, we?d like to ask you to consider signing our petition: http://goo.gl/GX67wN

If you?d like to learn more about FOL and the Loew?s, please visit our friendsofloews.org website or read our summary within the petition.

Status of Legal Proceedings:

Friends of the Loew?s has decided to continue the legal defense of our Lease of the Loew?s from Jersey City because not to do so would allow the City Administration to turn away from Jersey City?s long-standing commitment and take the Loew?s in a different direction that is neither acceptable nor necessary.

So FOL?s attorney will be asking the Court to review a recent decision that threatened our Lease and the future of the Loew?s.

We posted an update as to last night's meeting with AEG, Ace Theatrical, and the JCRA: http://friendsofloews.com/update-on-aeg-friends-of-the-loews/

And to answer some of the most concerned calls we've gotten: Last night's meeting certainly does NOT mean that the City's attempt to oust FOL is a done deal. All that was done at the meeting was to approve the process to negotiate contracts with ACE and AEG. The contracts have NOT been written, and certainly have not been executed. It would be reckless for JCRA or the City to try to sign contracts as our legal process continues. And we are continuing that process by appealing the Court's decision.

A Regional Arts Center With Local Roots:
The Loew?s Jersey Theatre was saved by a grassroots effort that understood the Loew?s importance not just as an iconic local landmark but also as a place where a wide variety of programming would create a special destination for our community and region: A place for major concerts as well as local arts, film, community service, and more; some expensive shows mingled with more affordable programs.

The idea was to combine the best aspects of historic theatres-turned arts centers around the country, from the Count Basie in Red Bank, New Jersey; to the Fox in Atlanta, Georgia; to Proctor?s in Schenectady, New York, and add a spin unique to our area by building local management rooted in our community.

A Plan Is In Place:
Ten years ago, Friends of the Loew?s and the City of Jersey City committed to working together in a public/non-profit partnership with a detailed plan to fulfill this vision. You can read the Lease in its entirety here: http://friendsofloews.com/landmarkloewslease/

Unfortunately, the City has simply not kept most of the commitments it made ? specifically, to find the fairly modest funding for the most important remaining repairs the Loew?s needs to host bigger, income-generating shows and also for independent, expert planning to assure the best programming and successful fundraising. This money, it should be noted, was to be paid back to the City through a ticket surcharge.

Despite the City?s failure, FOL has kept its commitment by keeping the Loew?s open and growing for ten years. In just the last year we hosted over 80 events that ranged from a major pop concert to local arts to free community events. While the repairs the City is supposed to pay for go unfunded, the Loew's can't operate on a regular, self-sustaining basis such as other theatres can. But we've been able to achieve so much thanks in large part to our use of our corp of volunteers to help run shows as well as carry out more repairs and maintenance work. Obviously, we would have done much more had our partner the City kept its part of the plan.

The Current Challenges:
What the Jersey City Administration is trying to do now is to use the limitations that the City?s own failure to keep its commitments has caused to justify a claim that the vision for the Loew?s can?t be achieved. But this is just not the case:
What FOL has done WITHOUT the City?s help is proof that much more is, at the very least, possible if not likely with the promised help.

When FOL asked Jersey City?s Mayor point blank why, since he campaigned on a promise of fixing mistakes made by the previous Administration, he wasn?t willing to keep the City?s commitment and try to achieve the longstanding goal for the Loew?s, he said simply he didn?t want to have to wait to see if it would work.

Instead, the Administration is pushing its own idea that it thinks sounds faster and easier: to turn the Theatre over to a consortium led by commercial promoters, and give this group far more public funding than the City ever committed (but never delivered) in its partnership with FOL. At best, the result of this would be to reduce the Loew?s to being just another commercial concert venue as for profit management strives to maximize its income and possibly struggles to make large loan payments. But there really is no guarantee even as to how much programming that arrangement will bring. Across the U.S., commercial managements come and go from venues when they fail to meet their own business plans.

The Bottom Line:
If the City Administration gets its way, the result will be a far diminished resource than what the Loew?s can and should be for Jersey City ? and the region. And if the City can get away with incorrectly diminishing and dismissing what civic spirit and activism has already accomplished with so little at the Loew?s, it will be a rebuke of the kind of grass roots, civic activism that has led not just the effort to save, restore and operate the Loew?s but also many other important civic projects in Jersey City. And it would be a slap in the face to all those who have donated funds or given more than 122,000 volunteer hours to FOL in pursuit of the goal of the Loew?s as a true, community arts center.

It?s for these reasons that Friends of the Loew?s will continue the defense of the better plan for the Loew?s Jersey Theatre.
Arts centers are part business, for sure. But they are also missions driven by the even more important imperative to serve their communities. So the Loew?s needs to keep its locally-rooted stewardship intact.

How You Can Help:
- Sign this petition to share your support of FOL
- Get the word out by sharing our Facebook updates via FOL
- Follow us on Twitter: @loewsjersey
- Follow us on Instagram: @loewsjersey

Posted on: 2014/7/2 21:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
i am grateful to fol for all their efforts, but fol can not take the theater to the next level. i don't have a problem with fulop using city money to help this project (other cities do this all the time),but fol should be allocated some dates for their own programming

Posted on: 2014/6/30 3:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
I saw some language on here earlier to the effect that pouring money into the Loews and allowing a for profit company to run it will somehow spur development of the area. Wouldn't it make more sense for the city to directly put some energy and money into fixing the crumbling infrastructure in Journal Square first? Instead of adopting some kind of wishful thinking policy that city money handed over to a private company will result in an improvement, why not spend some of that money directly on fixing things in the square? It would employ locals and DIRECTLY and unambiguously improve the quality of life of those of us in the neighborhood. Isn't that what city governments are supposed to do? Rather than bullying our local grass roots cultural organization the FOL, who have done more to keep things civilized in Journal Square than anyone else, maybe the city could acknowledge they have been letting things slide in Journal Square for a very long time and announce an intention to take responsibility and get back to work on the problems.

Posted on: 2014/6/29 13:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/22 22:59
Group:
Registered Users
The article I read said Fulop was giving 30M towards the rehab of the theater not to the management company but words can be twisted. Not on any side but at least something is finally getting done and only time can tell what will happen.

Posted on: 2014/6/29 12:15

Re: Replace FOL
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:
The mayor just promised $30MM to a private company to let THEM profit from it. As a native resident, I consider it another mark against the weasel in the mayor's office.

With every passing week, I grow more embarrassed about all the FULOP signs I had displayed on my house last year.

Posted on: 2014/6/29 5:22

Re: Replace FOL
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
The Trust Fund and UEZ money was never paid, and that was also when the city lost UEZ funds because they sat on them.

The $5.000 is a joke since replacing the railign and fire doors would cost six figures.

I am not a member of the FoL, but they are the ones documenting the promises and transactions over the last twenty years. The mayor just promised $30MM to a private company to let THEM profit from it. As a native resident, I consider it another mark against the weasel in the mayor's office.

Posted on: 2014/6/29 5:03

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017