Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Jersey City police chief: Fulop devised 'illegal' operation to snarl traffic at Holland Tunnel
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
I think what's often left out in this discussion is that the Fulop administration admitted from day 1 that they ordered the traffic stops. And they found violations on lots of vehicles that they stopped. The PANYNJ craps all over Jersey City, and the impact of commercial vehicles, some unsafe, is part of that. So while it was symbolic, it was part of an operation that is within the powers of the City.

The timing and symbolism of the stops was undoubtedly a shot across the bow of the Port Authority, but it was a legitimate operation, even if it was motivated in part to send a message to the PANYNJ. That is in contrast to the GW Bridge closure (I will not add the "gate" suffix to any political scandal until someone explains what water had to do with Watergate) which was purely punitive in nature.

Of course it was purely punitive and political-the two actions were directed solely at Port Authority targets, and the explanation that it was a safety initiative is nonsense-as they haven't done another action since, despite the claims it would be an ongoing program.

And while the Chief of Police in Jersey City has directly accused Fulop of orchestrating these two dirty tricks operations, no one has done so with Christie. Nor has there been a single email, text, phone message, PM to support the accusations towards him despite millions and millions of dollars spent by Whizzy and Whiny.

Posted on: 2014/7/16 11:08

Re: Jersey City police chief: Fulop devised 'illegal' operation to snarl traffic at Holland Tunnel
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I think what's often left out in this discussion is that the Fulop administration admitted from day 1 that they ordered the traffic stops. And they found violations on lots of vehicles that they stopped. The PANYNJ craps all over Jersey City, and the impact of commercial vehicles, some unsafe, is part of that. So while it was symbolic, it was part of an operation that is within the powers of the City.

The timing and symbolism of the stops was undoubtedly a shot across the bow of the Port Authority, but it was a legitimate operation, even if it was motivated in part to send a message to the PANYNJ. That is in contrast to the GW Bridge closure (I will not add the "gate" suffix to any political scandal until someone explains what water had to do with Watergate) which was purely punitive in nature.

Posted on: 2014/7/16 4:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
This sounds like a load of steamy horse shit. There is no way this is true.

Posted on: 2014/7/16 2:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

Yahoo wrote:
FULOPGATE moves into high gear. Cant wait to see this play out and blow up in pajama boy fulops face!

"Pajama Boy"? That's a new one. Never heard that before. In any case, why would Fulop want to snarl traffic by the Holland Tunnel? Assuming his own constituents (i.e. Jersey City voters) are in the snarled traffic, wouldn't that just make them angry at Fulop? The Bridgegate scandal was pretty far fetched too, but at least it alleged a politician from a higher office trying to screw over a local politician he didn't like, which makes some sense in theory. Fulop would only be screwing himself over by snarling Holland Tunnel traffic.

He then did it to the truckers exiting a Port Authority leased facility . . . why not stop all trucks say, on 440, rather than leaving one specific location? Because it was directed at the Port Authority, that's why.

But again, no one has stated that Christie ordered the traffic jam.
The highest law enforcement officer in the city, the JC Police Chief has stated that Fulop ordered both the Port Authority traffic jams, and backed down on only one.

Right...so has David Wildstein changed his name to "no one"? Must have been all that embarrassment about the social studies teacher shaming.

And I'm sure the phone record showing a call from Christie to Cuomo when Pat Foye cried foul was just to talk football.

And please tell me Wildstein lacks credibility- because both he and Cowan were fired. The difference is that Wildstein was a Christie fanboy the entire time. Just like you, except he saw the light eventually.

I must have missed the part where Wildstein has stated that Christie had anything to do with the traffic jam, have I? Or produced an email, text, or note suggesting or approving such actions.

Unlike the JC Chief of freaking police who HAS stated that Fulop has ordered retaliatory Port Authority actions. Is there a difference? Of course there is.

Did you not read the 1M sham report we paid for?

?It will apparently be Wildstein?s contention ? as he alleged in early December 2013 to Drewniak ? that he mentioned the traffic issue to the governor on that occasion,? the report said, referring to the memorial ceremony, which was held at ground zero.

Yeah so I guess you believe a fired police chief over a fired BFF appointed to a fake position and 1M sham reported authored by your party's defense fund?

So Wildstein mentioned the traffic jam to the Governor-somehow you take this to mean the Governor knew that someone set it up as a political dirty trick in advance?

That's quite the looney left leap.

With over a quarter million emails, texts, phone messages being examined-and throw in the Governors personal email and phone, which he volunteered to hand over-not one single shred of evidence has emerged showing he had knowledge of the traffic jam until it took place. Nor has anyone said he did know about it, ordered it, or had anything to do with it.

It's a big contrast from an acting Chief of Police saying that Fulop ordered him to shut down the Holland Tunnel with phony 'safety' examinations, to punish the Port Authority.

You are delusional even for a Republican. So Christie knew about a shutdown, but did nothing to stop it despite knowing its illegalties is somehow superior to this baseless allegation?

Not to mention that Dawn Zimmer alleges Guadagno told her to push a development the gov wanted- but I guess a fired director is somehow more believable than her diary?

And I guess all the reports saying Fishman is going indict Kelly and Wildstein to get Christie is just politics? Perhaps it's MSNBC or Obama behind it?

Who's delusional? You're making stuff up. Christie was told there was a traffic jam going on, not that it was ordered to punish (allegedly) a local mayor. Zimmer's allegations are delusional as well-she first said under oath she doesn't keep notes or a diary, then claims she noted the conversation-in a diary!

Actually, I haven't seen anything other than the Star Ledger Christie haters talking about Kelly and Wildstein being indicted. Frankly, I'd love to see it, it will only exonerate Christie. But what is Fishman waiting for?

Again, the difference in Tunnelgate vs Bridgegate is twofold-one, Fulop's press agent admitted the proposal was looked at. And second, the person he told to do it has stated it was designed to punish the Port Authority. The Port Authority first claimed the shutdown of the local lanes was for a traffic study. Fulop has said the rejected Holland Tunnel plan, and the followup Global truck shutdown, were for 'safety' reasons, and were part of a broader effort. (Note that no other 'safety' initiatives have occurred since). And two 'safety' stops-what a coincidence they're at a targeted Port Authority site! What a coinkydinkee!

Unlike Tunnelgate no one has come forth to say Christie had anything to do with Bridgegate, despite many millions spent on the Whizzy and Whiny dog and pony show. Not one piece of evidence to the contrary has appeared.

Posted on: 2014/7/15 20:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

Yahoo wrote:
FULOPGATE moves into high gear. Cant wait to see this play out and blow up in pajama boy fulops face!

"Pajama Boy"? That's a new one. Never heard that before. In any case, why would Fulop want to snarl traffic by the Holland Tunnel? Assuming his own constituents (i.e. Jersey City voters) are in the snarled traffic, wouldn't that just make them angry at Fulop? The Bridgegate scandal was pretty far fetched too, but at least it alleged a politician from a higher office trying to screw over a local politician he didn't like, which makes some sense in theory. Fulop would only be screwing himself over by snarling Holland Tunnel traffic.

He then did it to the truckers exiting a Port Authority leased facility . . . why not stop all trucks say, on 440, rather than leaving one specific location? Because it was directed at the Port Authority, that's why.

The highest law enforcement officer in the city, the JC Police Chief has stated that Fulop ordered both the Port Authority traffic jams, and backed down on only one.

Right...so has David Wildstein changed his name to "no one"? Must have been all that embarrassment about the social studies teacher shaming.

And I'm sure the phone record showing a call from Christie to Cuomo when Pat Foye cried foul was just to talk football.

And please tell me Wildstein lacks credibility- because both he and Cowan were fired. The difference is that Wildstein was a Christie fanboy the entire time. Just like you, except he saw the light eventually.

I must have missed the part where Wildstein has stated that Christie had anything to do with the traffic jam, have I? Or produced an email, text, or note suggesting or approving such actions.

Unlike the JC Chief of freaking police who HAS stated that Fulop has ordered retaliatory Port Authority actions. Is there a difference? Of course there is.

?It will apparently be Wildstein?s contention ? as he alleged in early December 2013 to Drewniak ? that he mentioned the traffic issue to the governor on that occasion,? the report said, referring to the memorial ceremony, which was held at ground zero.

Yeah so I guess you believe a fired police chief over a fired BFF appointed to a fake position and 1M sham reported authored by your party's defense fund?

So Wildstein mentioned the traffic jam to the Governor-somehow you take this to mean the Governor knew that someone set it up as a political dirty trick in advance?

With over a quarter million emails, texts, phone messages being examined-and throw in the Governors personal email and phone, which he volunteered to hand over-not one single shred of evidence has emerged showing he had knowledge of the traffic jam until it took place. Nor has anyone said he did know about it, ordered it, or had anything to do with it.

It's a big contrast from an acting Chief of Police saying that Fulop ordered him to shut down the Holland Tunnel with phony 'safety' examinations, to punish the Port Authority.

You are delusional even for a Republican. So Christie knew about a shutdown, but did nothing to stop it despite knowing its illegalties is somehow superior to this baseless allegation?

Not to mention that Dawn Zimmer alleges Guadagno told her to push a development the gov wanted- but I guess a fired director is somehow more believable than her diary?

And I guess all the reports saying Fishman is going indict Kelly and Wildstein to get Christie is just politics? Perhaps it's MSNBC or Obama behind it?

Posted on: 2014/7/15 20:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, there sure is a lot of name-calling and bashing of public figures and wild conspiracy going on in this thread. When the Christie thing broke, my first thoughts were "that sounds absurd, why would he do that?" and once the evidence came out, I changed my tune. Why don't you all just calm the F down and wait to see if there is actually anything to this accusation?

I personally can't see any point in causing traffic jams at a tunnel where there are constant traffic jams anyway. Especially since its in his own city. And since the JCPD has no control over that area (it's patrolled and enforced by PAPD). But I'm willing to listen to any evidence that comes up. Right now there's nothing.

Posted on: 2014/7/15 17:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

Yahoo wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/15 17:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/12 21:19
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
So thats why there was traffic at the Holland Tunnel. I knew it.

Posted on: 2014/7/15 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

Yahoo wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/15 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

Yahoo wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/14 21:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
The police chief just misses Healy. He and all those former council members that kowtowed to Healy all the time should get together for a circle-jerk, while reminiscing about how great things were during the Healy days.

The police chief was appointed by Fulop so I think you are sorely mistaken...

My mistake. Not a very loyal appointee. In any case, the possibility of the traffic being deliberately snarled by the Holland Tunnel is just preposterous in any case. Even if it is meant to make the Port Authority look bad, what can anybody do about it? Nobody at the Port Authority is elected. This is as dumb as the Bridgegate allegations, probably even dumber.

Posted on: 2014/7/14 21:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
The police chief just misses Healy. He and all those former council members that kowtowed to Healy all the time should get together for a circle-jerk, while reminiscing about how great things were during the Healy days.

The police chief was appointed by Fulop so I think you are sorely mistaken...

Posted on: 2014/7/14 21:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
A Republican state legislator is calling for an investigation into the Jersey City police chief's allegations that Democratic Mayor Steve Fulop ordered traffic stops outside the Holland Tunnel as a way to antagonize the Port Authority.

More

Posted on: 2014/7/14 20:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

Yahoo wrote:

But again, no one has stated that Christie ordered the traffic jam. The highest law enforcement officer in the city, the JC Police Chief has stated that Fulop ordered both the Port Authority traffic jams, and backed down on only one.

There are more than just trucks that enter the Holland Tunnel. Did you notice that? There are a lot of different types of cars that go along that street into the tunnel every day. I am not seeing what Fulop gains by snarling the traffic there, and see it the same way with Christie and the George Washington Bridge. It is all just one big load of crap.

Posted on: 2014/7/14 20:48

Edited by caj11 on 2014/7/14 21:11:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

Yahoo wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/14 20:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/1 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
The fact is the Chief has provided the "smoking gun" here. Remember it was the Boy King that jumped on the Gov right from the start on Bridgegate. The hypocrisy is just amazing ! We have shooting all over the city, and the Boy King is stoping trucks to get back at the PA. You can't make this stuff up.

Posted on: 2014/7/14 20:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sam112 wrote:
I'm sure more will come out of this as time goes on. However, I will say that I have been going to Captain's meetings for several years. Cowan is the only Police Chief that ever showed up and he actually showed up twice during the first half of 2014. I will commend him for this and for listening to residents directly in an informal setting. I'll add that I did vote for Fulop but am starting to actually miss good old Jeremiah !

Cowan did get paid to attend and was only the Police Chief for a VERY short time !

Posted on: 2014/7/14 2:25
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/2 2:11
Group:
Registered Users
I'm sure more will come out of this as time goes on. However, I will say that I have been going to Captain's meetings for several years. Cowan is the only Police Chief that ever showed up and he actually showed up twice during the first half of 2014. I will commend him for this and for listening to residents directly in an informal setting. I'll add that I did vote for Fulop but am starting to actually miss good old Jeremiah !

Posted on: 2014/7/13 20:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

Yahoo wrote:

But again, no one has stated that Christie ordered the traffic jam. The highest law enforcement officer in the city, the JC Police Chief has stated that Fulop ordered both the Port Authority traffic jams, and backed down on only one.

Posted on: 2014/7/13 20:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yahoo wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/13 20:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LoraJ wrote:
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
Since when does JCPD patrol traffic at the Holland Tunnel? That's PAPD territory.

Good point. My guess is that I know the neighborhood associations don't like commuters using Jersey City local streets to bypass tunnel traffic. With the closure of the Pulaski Skyway inbound I would think residents feared this would get worse. I know in the past there had been talks of redirecting traffic to prevent this. (This was years ago). I see other towns closing roads or making certain roads one way to prevent commuters from using local streets by schools to avoid traffic. Maybe this is something similar. I doubt it is anything like bridgegate.

It is different from Bridgegate. No one has said they had a conversation or order from Christie to begin a politically pointed traffic jam. In this case a leading law enforcement officer has accused Fulop for doing exactly that, and being fired for refusing. In Bridgegate Christie fired people for doing what Fulop fired someone for not doing!

As regards the 'explanation' that the 'safety' check was discussed but then not done, consider the shaky reasoning. JC would be so concerned with cars exiting the Holland Tunnel for safety reasons?? Just how much time do those cars spend in JC, about a minute before they hit the Turnpike or 1 & 9? Maybe a safety check on Marin would be useful, but then that wouldn't back up traffic in the Tunnel-which was the whole point, to screw the Port Authority.

Somehow 'let's have a traffic jam on Newark Avenue' would have zero effect on the Port Authority-which is why the Holland Tunnel exit was proposed.

Posted on: 2014/7/13 20:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/4 1:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
Since when does JCPD patrol traffic at the Holland Tunnel? That's PAPD territory.

Good point. My guess is that I know the neighborhood associations don't like commuters using Jersey City local streets to bypass tunnel traffic. With the closure of the Pulaski Skyway inbound I would think residents feared this would get worse. I know in the past there had been talks of redirecting traffic to prevent this. (This was years ago). I see other towns closing roads or making certain roads one way to prevent commuters from using local streets by schools to avoid traffic. Maybe this is something similar. I doubt it is anything like bridgegate.

Posted on: 2014/7/13 12:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/13 0:46
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Holy Hudson County politics, I head down the beach for the weekend and all this comes out?

Internecine bloodbath between the Mayor and one of his top supporter/political appointees/top city official the Chief of Police-both Democrats?

Over the Chief refusing to shut down a Port Authority Hudson River crossing with a traffic jam (but later causing a massive traffic jam with an illegal truck stop scheme at yet a second Port Authority controlled site)?

You can't even equate this with Bridgegate, since Christie fired his staffers who were involved with the traffic jam, and Fulop fired his Chief of Police for NOT starting one of two traffic jams AT HIS ORDER.

Steve slept well last night-Steve Sweeney, that is.

Posted on: 2014/7/12 18:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
don't you think Fulop also has a responsibility to identify what the directions were that Cowan failed to follow?

I absolutely agree with you. Don't get me wrong - I'm not taking sides here. I think there's more than enough "fishy" here - from both sides. But if Cowan wants us to believe he's the good cop that he purports to be, he better have a lot more documentation/evidence to show his allegations are true - even if said evidence shows his corroboration in these incidents. You can't go halfway out there, accuse someone of some serious wrong-doing, then back off your allegations because exposure will taint your reputation (or cancel your pension).

Another fishy to ponder: Why did Cowan's union not come to his defense, but instead, quickly sided with the Mayor? Hmmm.

Posted on: 2014/7/12 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:
Or he could have simply refused to do it, which is what he did. That is why he was fired.

Okay - but if he was given orders by his direct superior (the Mayor), that were contradictory to written laws and/or were an imminent danger to the public, don't you think he had a legal (if not moral) responsibility to speak up? He is now only speaking up because he was demoted? With all the sound and fury, I hope he also has more documentation than a personal diary if he wants to maintain the credibility he so passionately writes about.

I agree with your post but don't you think Fulop also has a responsibility to identify what the directions were that Cowan failed to follow? Seems fishy to fire someone for not taking orders and then neglect to mention what these orders were.

Posted on: 2014/7/12 17:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Or he could have simply refused to do it, which is what he did. That is why he was fired.

Okay - but if he was given orders by his direct superior (the Mayor), that were contradictory to written laws and/or were an imminent danger to the public, don't you think he had a legal (if not moral) responsibility to speak up? He is now only speaking up because he was demoted? With all the sound and fury, I hope he also has more documentation than a personal diary if he wants to maintain the credibility he so passionately writes about.

Posted on: 2014/7/12 17:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/12 15:39
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/12 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
For the same reason Dawn Zimmer did not speak about pushing the development for the Rockefeller Group. She felt she was up against a powerful governor and I am sure Cowan felt similar about Fulop.

My dear Irish grandmother used to say, "In for a penny, in for a pound." If you're doing deeds at the behest of your boss - and you knowingly commit an illegal offense (or simply play dirty to keep your boss placated), you are just as culpable. Particularly if you have keen knowledge of the law - which, if one places first on the Chief's test, they would likely have.

Cowan does not strike me as the kind of person that would be afraid. Protecting his own butt and pension, more likely.

Any employee has a choice - and Cowan had a choice. If he didn't like what the Mayor was allegedly telling him to do, he could have documented and reported the alleged "bad faith" acts to any number of government oversight agencies. As another poster wisely pointed out, he would be considered a whistle-blower and would have been protected by the law.

Why was Cowan completely silent up until the time he was demoted? Is Cowan's letter the first tame shot of a more aggressive offensive? Does he have documentation that would substantiate his extremely serious claims?

Only time will tell.

Either way, the 14th murder of the year was committed this week on Jewett Avenue. Another young man was senselessly gunned down in our city. And that's what our good leaders and police officials should be focusing upon.

Posted on: 2014/7/12 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yahoo wrote:
To this day we dont know what these best practices are. Stand by while they fabricate some.

I hope there are diaries here too! Lord have mercy!

Posted on: 2014/7/12 15:18

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017