Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
82 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 82

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 10 »

Re: Jersey City considers turning Newark Avenue into pedestrian plaza
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Just a thought I had recently ... what better street to rename than Newark Ave? The street itself has nothing to do with Newark,...

Really?
There's a place for you on that rebranding commission. ROFL

Posted on: 2014/8/17 12:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Just to be clear, it says on Saturdays and Sundays the closure will last from 12 a.m. to midnight. 12 a.m. is midnight. Will the closure be in effect 24 hours on Saturdays and Sundays (closes Friday afternoon, reopens Monday) or did they really mean 12 p.m. (noon) to midnight on Saturdays and Sundays?

Quote:

hamhock wrote:
Pedestrian plaza begins on Tuesday, August 19:

From the City's Facebook page:

Quote:
Beginning Tuesday, August 19, 2014, Newark Avenue from Grove Street to Barrow Street
and Erie Street from Newark Avenue to Bay Street will be closed from 3 p.m. to midnight, Monday through Friday and between 12 a.m. and midnight, Saturday and Sunday for the preservation of the public?s safety and welfare at the newly created pedestrian plaza.

?We are excited for the creation of the new pedestrian plaza at Newark Avenue as this will provide our residents more opportunities to enjoy the great restaurants and cafes in the area and take in music and culture, while contributing to a sense of community,? said Mayor Fulop. ?The City has worked with the businesses in the area on the street closures and we will continue to monitor the pilot program to measure the impacts and benefits, but we view this is a largely positive addition to the area.?

Posted on: 2014/8/17 1:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Just a thought I had recently ... with Jersey City's fetish for renaming streets (Columbus Dr, Manila Street, Marin Blvd) ... what better street to rename than Newark Ave? The street itself has nothing to do with Newark, no individual person would get upset because it's not named after somebody's last name, and it's not the best practice to be associated in any way with the city of Newark, is it?

Maybe with the rejuvenation of Newark Ave, and the pedestrianization of it, it's time for a "rebranding" of Newark Ave. It is kind of a depressing name for a street, particularly your city's main commercial drag.

Posted on: 2014/8/16 23:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/16 3:34

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Pedestrian plaza begins on Tuesday, August 19:

From the City's Facebook page:

Quote:
Beginning Tuesday, August 19, 2014, Newark Avenue from Grove Street to Barrow Street
and Erie Street from Newark Avenue to Bay Street will be closed from 3 p.m. to midnight, Monday through Friday and between 12 a.m. and midnight, Saturday and Sunday for the preservation of the public?s safety and welfare at the newly created pedestrian plaza.

?We are excited for the creation of the new pedestrian plaza at Newark Avenue as this will provide our residents more opportunities to enjoy the great restaurants and cafes in the area and take in music and culture, while contributing to a sense of community,? said Mayor Fulop. ?The City has worked with the businesses in the area on the street closures and we will continue to monitor the pilot program to measure the impacts and benefits, but we view this is a largely positive addition to the area.?

Posted on: 2014/8/15 20:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
please don't pick on yvonne. society needs people like her to give a different opinion even if she is only right one in a 1,000 times.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 5:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
It passed by a unanimous vote. I don't know when it will get implemented.

Have we had a final word from Yvonne ?

She's still outside looking for parking.

Posted on: 2014/7/17 12:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:

Have we had a final word from Yvonne ?

Posted on: 2014/7/17 11:18
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 12:43
Group:
Registered Users
The sooner, the better.

Posted on: 2014/7/17 10:30
The All Knowing and All Powerful Joe Has Spoken!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/17 9:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
City Hall. Meeting should start at 6-6:30 but comments probably won't be heard until closer to 8pm.

Posted on: 2014/7/16 19:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
It is coming up for a vote again tonight. Please go and speak in favor if you can. Unfortunately I can't make it tonight.

Where and at what time is it on tonight? Thanks.

Posted on: 2014/7/16 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
It is coming up for a vote again tonight. Please go and speak in favor if you can. Unfortunately I can't make it tonight.

Posted on: 2014/7/16 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Binky wrote:
Rather than concentrating on making car use more difficult, I'd rather see initiatives making the public transit alternatives easier, cheaper and more wide spread.

+ 1 million

Good luck getting from JC to anywhere not on a PATH/HBLR line via PT, particularly on a weekend or off hour.

You can take a taxi if you think riding without a meter on through white knuckled terror is your thing.

Posted on: 2014/7/11 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

slim26 wrote:
There are literally 20 different methods to get around this "bottleneck".

WE'LL BE STUCK FOREVER!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47rQkTPWW2I

Posted on: 2014/7/11 3:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/23 20:19
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
Yeah.. it is pretty funny.. was the poster that posted the photo serious or joking?

There are literally 20 different methods to get around this "bottleneck".

I'm really trying to think of why I would ever need to drive this stretch of road, and I can't think of 1. I suppose every piece of legislation needs to have some opposition (ie. Yvonne), no matter how stupid it is.

Posted on: 2014/7/11 2:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FGJCNJ1970 wrote:
As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Walking this particular block this very evening at 7:15 or so, and well... traffic from Grove St. all the way to Erie St.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi ... 214885137894&l=cfe4c829c0

This will be very bad if all of this traffic winds up in Harsimus Cove. And the loss of all the parking on this block. Crazy.

This has been tried before and failed.

All you folks saying there are no cars? And if you close this street off to vehicular traffic, be prepared to see more stores close.

FG

Ha ha ha! What a loser. So, you snap a picture right after a red light turns to green, and you attempt to portray that as a backup on Newark Avenue. Let's examine the facts, as evidenced by your picture:
- 6 cars (one police cruiser, two taxis, three regular cars)
- ALL cars heading East
- Wesbound lane EMPTY

If that is your PROOF that closing Newark Avenue would lead to some major issues, you have FAILED miserably. The fact is that the stretch of Newark being considered for a pedestrian plaza sees very little traffic. Try again.

Posted on: 2014/7/11 2:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FGJCNJ1970 wrote:

All you folks saying there are no cars? And if you close this street off to vehicular traffic, be prepared to see more stores close.

FG

When was this tried?

There will be increased pedestrian traffic for businesses. Either way, this is a trial period, if a business can't survive a trial period, they're probably doomed anyway.

Cry me a river about parking, there are parking garages in Grove Point, and Christopher Columbus, park there and get some exercise. We are talking about maybe 10 parking spaces. Sheesh. It's no wonder neither you or Yvonne can get elected.

Posted on: 2014/7/11 1:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
lol. how many cars are there. one police and two or three taxis. i really think the taxi drivers would be smart enough to drive down columbus plus there is the farmers market.

why not try the pedestrian plaza instead of warning of gloom and doom

Posted on: 2014/7/11 1:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Walking this particular block this very evening at 7:15 or so, and well... traffic from Grove St. all the way to Erie St.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi ... 214885137894&l=cfe4c829c0

This will be very bad if all of this traffic winds up in Harsimus Cove. And the loss of all the parking on this block. Crazy.

FG

Posted on: 2014/7/11 1:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/23 20:19
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
Amazing that it takes 5 pages for the whole community to try to get some actual logic through Yvonne's thick skull. There really is absolutely no traffic in this half block. In my 11 years of living downtown, I'm not sure I ever had a need to drive over there.

Posted on: 2014/7/11 0:19

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 16:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kimmygo wrote:
Quote:

Binky wrote:
Rather than concentrating on making car use more difficult, I'd rather see initiatives making the public transit alternatives easier, cheaper and more wide spread.

Couldn't agree more. I moved to Jersey City 2 years ago without a car and now we're at a point where we don't want a car, but really need a car as our lives have become less manhattan-centric without any public transportation to get us around the area.

Definitely. NJ Transit bus service needs to improve. I don't use my car much as it is, but I'd probably never use my car within JC if the buses ran more frequently and were more reliable.

Posted on: 2014/7/10 23:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/16 18:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Binky wrote:

Couldn't agree more. I moved to Jersey City 2 years ago without a car and now we're at a point where we don't want a car, but really need a car as our lives have become less manhattan-centric without any public transportation to get us around the area.

Posted on: 2014/7/10 19:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I do feel that a lot of residents who live in Jersey City try to squeeze a suburban (car) lifestyle into a truly urban environment. And to be fair, Jersey City has allowed it, with absolutely huge car-centric retail developments like Target, Best Buy, Shop Rite/Metro Plaza area.

To illustrate how density-inappropriate such retail developments are, just stand in the parking lot at Target, with the seemingly miles of parking lot, shopping carts rolling around, and plastic bags blowing around like tumbleweeds ... and gaze across at the Empire State Building and the rest of Manhattan, so close you can touch it. Doesn't that just look and feel kind of ...off? Surely there is a better use for that acreage of land?

It's astonishing how few of the new skyscrapers being built have sidewalk facing retail. And how many of these buildings have hundreds of parking spaces included, in ugly structures no less.

It's detrimental and it is absolutely affecting the landscape of Jersey City as it continues to develop. I hope sooner rather than later people will wake up and embrace density and all of the POSITIVES that it brings, and I hope that new buildings start reflecting that. It does bring mostly positives.

Do we want to have the look and feel of Cleveland/Charlotte/Tulsa/Columbus etc or do we want to have the look and feel (and street vibrancy) of some of the country's and world's finest cities?

This really is not rocket science!

Back to the topic ... it's just so discouraging that such a small step (turning an underused road in the heart of a city into a pedestrian plaza) has to jump over so many hurdles from people who, amazingly, oppose this.

Posted on: 2014/7/10 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/10 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
You are not giving answers but as usual making attacks. People are not giving up their cars because you think they should. You cannot wish cars away.

This isn't complicated. If infrastructure is made car-friendly, people will use cars more. If infrastructure is made less car-friendly, people will use cars less.

So yeah, people will give up their cars if commuting via car is painful enough. This is also why adding lanes of highways doesn't solve traffic in the long-term. If more highway space is opened up, people will drive on highways more.

This, exactly.

Posted on: 2014/7/10 18:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 18:29
Group:
Registered Users
The whole point of living in an urban environment is so you can live car free. More walking and biking leads to better health, neighbor interaction encourages safer streets, strolling and shopping are good for businesses.

As far as Newark goes, while I was getting frozen yoghurt the other night there were all of two cars driving down the street.

Posted on: 2014/7/10 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07 ... cid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063

Not sure what you would call this - ecological theology, maybe. I think that when religious leaders and philosophers join with scientists and tree huggers planners and pols have to listen harder.

Posted on: 2014/7/10 17:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
You are not giving answers but as usual making attacks. People are not giving up their cars because you think they should. You cannot wish cars away.

This isn't complicated. If infrastructure is made car-friendly, people will use cars more. If infrastructure is made less car-friendly, people will use cars less.

So yeah, people will give up their cars if commuting via car is painful enough. This is also why adding lanes of highways doesn't solve traffic in the long-term. If more highway space is opened up, people will drive on highways more.

Posted on: 2014/7/10 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote: So where do you put the traffic? Saying it needs to be re-routed does not answer the question. More development is slated for that area which means more people and more cars. Yes, in the year 2014, people do have cars.

People may have cars, but that does not mean Jersey City and it's urban planners need to accommodate them. Many studies have shown that reducing the use of cars is necessary for the environmental health and viability of urban areas, and in fact auto use is declining in US largest cities.

Carving out pedestrian ways and bike paths is a good start; but JC needs to look to successful models in the US and Europe, and actively discourage the use of cars http://www.scientificamerican.com/art ... arking-cut-auto-emission/ The city should not be requiring park as part of development; if you insist on using a car in urban areas in 2014 finding places to park it, and navigating traffic, should be your problem and not JC city planners who should have their eye on a more viable, sustainable future.

Posted on: 2014/7/10 17:13

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017