Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Campaign to raise funds for 275 bike racks in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

What percentage is going downtown? And what pitiful "yearly income donate to charity" slice is going to other neighborhoods?

Why the obsession with making sure ALL neighborhoods get equal treatment of EVERYTHING?? It wouldn't make any sense to put bike racks all over the place in neighborhoods where people are not going to on bikes!

It's obvious that you've never ventured beyond the confines of the Turnpike extension. It's also obvious you don't cycle very often, otherwise you'd see plenty of riders who ride within their own neighborhood and are stuck tying up to a street cleaning sign post, a la Central Ave.

Not every destination is downtown, and not all residents of Jersey City flock to downtown. Broaden your horizons a bit.

Posted on: 2014/7/3 11:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

denised wrote:

I am not a biker and I was thinking about donating because I love my community so I believe in supporting it, until I read your last paragraph. I now feel judged and that you are taking shots at people who don't own bikes. Not exactly the way to gain support.

Sorry! I certainly didn't mean it that way!

I'm sure the other things you do for the community all have their own specific benefits; biking has several well-established advantages for communities, so if you support those benefits, then please support biking, whether you do it or not.

We get lots of support from non-bikers; e.g., advocates for pedestrian safety recognize that having more bikers on the streets calms motor traffic and ultimately makes walkers safer. Local businesses know that a cycling customer is one who's less inclined to drive out of town to a suburban mall. And so on.

Of course, another reason non-bikers support us is that they all know someone who does bike, whether it's a neighbor's child who bikes to school, or their fitness-freak friend who trains for triathlons at dawn on weekends, or that part-time restaurant worker who brings them food deliveries in nasty weather.

Anyway. Yay, biking! Please support the bike rack fund! Click here to help at least one cyclist you know.

Posted on: 2014/7/3 3:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Think of it as a campaign contribution for Fulop, because he'll add this to his accomplishments if it gets done.

Yes. Let's stall all progress so that Fulop looks bad. That is clearly the sensible thing to do.

I like Monroe's quote VA whay on earth would you want to make the mayore look bad ?

Posted on: 2014/7/2 18:37
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Think of it as a campaign contribution for Fulop, because he'll add this to his accomplishments if it gets done.

Yes. Let's stall all progress so that Fulop looks bad. That is clearly the sensible thing to do.

Hey, give all you want if it floats your boat.

Then again, if you think this will save the planet you don't realize that the half life of a bicycle chained to a rack almost anywhere in Chilltown is about an hour and a half. And probably less outside of downtown.

Posted on: 2014/7/2 18:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/2 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Please add a picture of Shirin Vazir's superior winning design to the fundraising page as well, so people can see BOTH options. It will help raise more funds as that rack can hold more bikes and its pretty creative. The current image is not doing much on the creativity front.

Posted on: 2014/7/2 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/2 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
So basicaly what Elsquid is saying to all a youse...
..."put your money where your mouth is"

Posted on: 2014/7/2 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting points about bike rack placement, but for this project, that's up to y'all!

Donate $150 and you can determine placement of one rack that fits two bikes. Donate any amount and you get to vote on placements; votes will create a heat map to show peak demand areas. (All placements naturally are subject to reasonable legal, safety and engineering limits.)

So, want lots of racks in your nabe? Donate and vote and ask your neighbors to do the same! Customers of a business, ask the business to sponsor a couple of racks and ask other customers to donate. You get the idea!

Click to be The Decider (or one of them, anyway)

Posted on: 2014/7/2 15:19

Edited by elsquid on 2014/7/2 15:37:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Commerce districts are in dire need of racks. Put some on Central Ave. preferably in the middle near the post office.

Posted on: 2014/7/2 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

What percentage is going downtown? And what pitiful "yearly income donate to charity" slice is going to other neighborhoods?

Why the obsession with making sure ALL neighborhoods get equal treatment of EVERYTHING?? It wouldn't make any sense to put bike racks all over the place in neighborhoods where people are not going to on bikes!

In my mind, it makes sense to put bike racks where people are going. That is downtown business areas, the vicinity of PATH stations, and over by the commercial/restaurant areas. Over in the Heights, by JSQ and whatever other business districts that would warrant them. But, honestly, why would I want a bike rack in BeLa? No one is riding bikes around here to get to businesses in enough numbers to warrant their placement all over town. No one is commuting to BeLa in significant numbers. And, before you discount me as a ghetto hater, I will tell you I live in the neighborhood, for almost 8 years now. Most of the people I see on bikes around here are heading to downtown, or to the city, and come home after work/errands. Bike racks around here would go unused and would likely get vandalized.

Posted on: 2014/7/2 13:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/2 11:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/28 4:29
Group:
Registered Users
Elsquid, thanks for bumping this - I'm in.

Posted on: 2014/7/2 1:34

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/4 10:26
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
fundraising lunacy - If we need bike racks then the city should budget it and install them and not seek hand-outs.

next we'll have a funds raising campaign to fix pot-holes too.

We agree that governments should generally fund bike improvements, just as they fund roads and other transportation. The half-million-plus dollars JC is currently spending on bike lanes is a good example.

And for this MUCH smaller program, the city is contributing $16,000, and will also be installing the racks.

But by raising the remaining funds through a broad base of cycling, neighborhood, environmental and other community groups, we hope to do more than just add money to the pot. We have a chance to vote with our wallets, to show with every donation that cycling has a constituency -- something we can and will bring up in the future when we ask governments, sponsors, grant-making groups, et al to fund more improvements, change laws, and otherwise aid biking.

That's part of the appeal of all public-private-community partnerships.

(Next thing you know we'll be raising funds to find cures for diseases, or clean up Central Park, or buy uniforms for kids' sports teams, or ...)

OK, all you "lunatics" who love biking (or love having less air pollution, or lower carbon emissions, or safer streets, or less disease of inactivity ...): can you spare $20 bucks? $10? $5? Please put at least the cost of a fancy coffee in the online jar, put your name on our donors page, and show everyone we mean business.

Click here for more things to lock our bikes to that aren't trees.

I am not a biker and I was thinking about donating because I love my community so I believe in supporting it, until I read your last paragraph. I now feel judged and that you are taking shots at people who don't own bikes. Not exactly the way to gain support.

Posted on: 2014/7/1 22:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
fundraising lunacy - If we need bike racks then the city should budget it and install them and not seek hand-outs.

We agree that governments should generally fund bike improvements, just as they fund roads and other transportation. The half-million-plus dollars JC is currently spending on bike lanes is a good example.

And for this MUCH smaller program, the city is contributing $16,000, and will also be installing the racks.

But by raising the remaining funds through a broad base of cycling, neighborhood, environmental and other community groups, we hope to do more than just add money to the pot. We have a chance to vote with our wallets, to show with every donation that cycling has a constituency -- something we can and will bring up in the future when we ask governments, sponsors, grant-making groups, et al to fund more improvements, change laws, and otherwise aid biking.

That's part of the appeal of all public-private-community partnerships.

(Next thing you know we'll be raising funds to find cures for diseases, or clean up Central Park, or buy uniforms for kids' sports teams, or ...)

OK, all you "lunatics" who love biking (or love having less air pollution, or lower carbon emissions, or safer streets, or less disease of inactivity ...): can you spare $20 bucks? $10? $5? Please put at least the cost of a fancy coffee in the online jar, put your name on our donors page, and show everyone we mean business.

Click here for more things to lock our bikes to that aren't trees.

Posted on: 2014/7/1 14:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/1 11:43
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Bike bump!

If you want to bring more bike parking to JC, and show how much biking means to you, please donate to this bike rack fund!

JC bike rack fund

BTW, I'm with Bike JC, and we will be turning over $1,500 to this fund, our collections from two earlier fundraisers we held for these bike racks. So if you came to the Iron Monkey or Barcade and put money in a bucket at some point, don't worry, we haven't forgotten!

But we still want to raise a lot more by our deadline of July 31. Even if you can only give $5, please do it, and put your name on our online list of donors. Like the racks themselves, it's a visible symbol of the growing support for biking in this city.

Click here to donate or learn more.

Posted on: 2014/7/1 10:50

Campaign to raise funds for 275 bike racks in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
The Jersey City Mayor's Office and other community groups have launched a five-week "JC Bike Rack" fundraising campaign in hopes of purchasing approximately 275 new bike racks throughout the city.

With the help of the Jersey City Art School, BikeJC and the crowd resourcing site ioby.org, the campaign kicked off Sunday and runs until July 31. The goal is to raise $20,000 for the purchase and placement of bike racks throughout the city.

Jersey City will also be contributing $16,000 toward the bike rack campaign.
Artists Noa Younse and Shirin Terhune Vazir were the winners of a city-wide competition to design the bike racks. The racks are expected to be installed by the end of September.

Full-cost sponsorship is available for placement of the racks in neighborhoods across the city. Upon making a contribution, donors can vote on the area they want to see a bike rack placed.

Sustainable Jersey City is a collaborative network of green community groups and individuals within Jersey City who strive to move the city toward a more sustainable future.

To donate, go to https://ioby.org/project/jersey-city-bike-racks

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... o_raise_funds_for_27.html

Posted on: 2014/6/10 19:05

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact