Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
57 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 57

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 »

Re: Jersey City considers turning Newark Avenue into pedestrian plaza
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
So I guess we will continue to ignore the traffic jam that happens every day on Newark Avenue, even when the street is open. We will ignore the evidence because it doesn't suit our theory. We will ignore the constant traffic jam from Newark Avenue on Jersey Avenue down to the Medical Center and pretend that doesn't happen too. We will not request a traffic study because it might tell us things we don't want to hear. We will continue to live in ignorance because it suits our theory.

For this reason alone, change is necessary and the status quo is not an answer - A total review of the changing needs is being assessed and the pedestrian mall has merit, as the need to re-route the bottle neck traffic from the area.

So where do you put the traffic? Saying it needs to be re-routed does not answer the question. More development is slated for that area which means more people and more cars. Yes, in the year 2014, people do have cars.

What traffic?

Posted on: 2014/7/9 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
why even waste money on a traffic study.i hardly ever see cars on thhat stretch of newark. there was much more traffic on that stretch before grove square came into being

Posted on: 2014/7/9 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
I actually agree that we can't wish cars away. But this is hardly a case of that. This removes very few spots on a minorly trafficked block.

I am known for sticking up cars all the time on this board- and I support this. Just don't expect me to heckle the hipsters who ride on the bicycle path, or the charge a billion to park brigade- this is barely a blip on the radar of the JC driver.

Posted on: 2014/7/9 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
You can live in NYC without a car, but where is the subway or bus service in JC?

In the case of Newark Avenue? Right next to it.

Quote:
By the way, I don't see any public official giving up their cars, are they taking public transit? I doubt it.

The Ward E councilwoman commutes to work by PATH.

Posted on: 2014/7/9 13:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
You can live in NYC without a car, but where is the subway or bus service in JC? The lite rail only serves some areas of JC and the bus system has been eliminating routes. Thankfully, the jitneys have made life easier but I doubt if those buses can pass an inspection. By the way, I don't see any public official giving up their cars, are they taking public transit? I doubt it.

Posted on: 2014/7/9 12:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
You are not giving answers but as usual making attacks.

Yvonne look into the mirror and read your own quote - NY are in the process of reducing vehicles in manhattan - tolls are being discussed with increased on road parking fees and reduced on road parking spots.

Society has progressed from the dependance of (golden age) the car - We are reinstating light-rails, trams and trains when they were once removed to make way for the car.

It would seem you are living in 50's car culture.

You really need to do some homework / research Yvonne before commenting and 'shooting from the hip' if you ever intend to enter local government politics or be taken seriously ... at the moment I'd rather vote for a homeless mentally challenged alcoholic then you.

Posted on: 2014/7/9 7:28
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
You are not giving answers but as usual making attacks. People are not giving up their cars because you think they should. You cannot wish cars away.

Yvonne, if you didn't bark at everything that moved or changed, and were a little more open-minded, you might have some credibility. Why do you think your anecdotal evidence of traffic snarl-ups in VVP counts as any kind of traffic study? Given some of your previous statements on Newark Ave traffic flow, I doubt you've even traveled on that stretch for a very long time - perhaps not since you lived in VVP?

Posted on: 2014/7/9 6:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You are not giving answers but as usual making attacks. People are not giving up their cars because you think they should. You cannot wish cars away.

Posted on: 2014/7/9 4:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
i was on newark this morning and afternoon....mostly gypsy vans....

Posted on: 2014/7/9 2:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
So I guess we will continue to ignore the traffic jam that happens every day on Newark Avenue, even when the street is open. We will ignore the evidence because it doesn't suit our theory. We will ignore the constant traffic jam from Newark Avenue on Jersey Avenue down to the Medical Center and pretend that doesn't happen too. We will not request a traffic study because it might tell us things we don't want to hear. We will continue to live in ignorance because it suits our theory.

For this reason alone, change is necessary and the status quo is not an answer - A total review of the changing needs is being assessed and the pedestrian mall has merit, as the need to re-route the bottle neck traffic from the area.

So where do you put the traffic? Saying it needs to be re-routed does not answer the question. More development is slated for that area which means more people and more cars. Yes, in the year 2014, people do have cars.

Neither you Yvonne, or I are town planners or traffic engineer and its quite obvious there is a problem with greater pedestrian and vehicle traffic in the area - but nothing so serious the world we come to an end as you seem to what to fear monger about - A bypass prior to this location should resolve to build-up.

I don't believe cityhall is going in 'half-cocked' to make change, as you want everyone to believe with your (at time) spiteful rant.

Personally not having a dinosaur mentality to solely meet the needs of the car culture, JC is well overdue to enlighten itself with more modern aspects of planning infrastructure .... putting pedestrians first and the needs of cyclists is a good thing, as is improved public transport.

I'd like JC to take California's lead with alternative energy sources and be the east coast leaders in solar and wind.

Posted on: 2014/7/8 23:11
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/8 22:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
People already avoid that stretch of Newark due to all the jackasses double parking on the westbound side, or pulled up and stopped in the lane on the eastbound, sometimes partially on the sidewalk. Often you will get a double parked car and one stopped on the opposite side at the same time. So, it it's that bad anyway, why NOT make it pedestrian only?

Posted on: 2014/7/8 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/8 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
If #8 is true, then why do so many pedestrian-friendly initiatives get mothballed?
53 Things About Jersey City
(I'm looking at YOU, extra-wide and island-free Columbus Ave)

Because it is only 41% which is less than half, and the majority always wins.

Posted on: 2014/7/8 13:30
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
If #8 is true, then why do so many pedestrian-friendly initiatives get mothballed?

That "article" was written by a real estate brokerage. I'd take everything it says with a massive pillar of salt.

A pillar of salt, and someone should give the "author" a basic lesson on "its" vs. "it's". Here's a GREAT place to start!

Posted on: 2014/7/8 3:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:

That "article" was written by a real estate brokerage. I'd take everything it says with a massive pillar of salt.

Posted on: 2014/7/8 3:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/8 2:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
I was in Santa Monica a couple of weeks back. They have a beautiful street-turned-pedestrian-mall too, but:
- they have year-round good weather
- the mall is mostly national retail chains (like...a mall). I don't think any of us wants that.

But yeah, something on a limited scale could be nice.

Posted on: 2014/7/2 16:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:

maybeMoving, I'm from Miami and love Lincoln Road, too, but it's a tourist draw in a tourism-based city. If Lincoln Road had to survive on the locals' business, it would be a ghost town.

I agree that nothing on the scale of Lincoln Road would work here but perhaps one nice block turned into a true pedestrian plaza would be well used. It won't draw tourists but would give the people of JC who use Newark as a commerical destination anyways a nice public space.

Of course the cynic in me just sees it turning into a place for Paco and Taco to yell at passersby.

Posted on: 2014/7/2 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
I normally get off at Newport, but yesterday I had to pick up some cat food at Fussy Friends. Unfortunately I left my phone at home yesterday or I would have taped the astounding lack of traffic on Newark Ave at 6:30pm. I actually walked the entire block without having a single car drive the street in either direction.

Lots of cars on Grove, some cars making the turn on to Erie. Not a single vehicle driving that stretch of Newark.

Funny you should say this, moobycow. I had a similar experience yesterday at 4:15 PM. I was driving back from work, and did make the turn onto Newark from Grove, and was immediately struck by the COMPLETE and UTTER lack of traffic on Newark. Not a single car moving on that stretch besides mine. I thought about coming on here to point that out, as well, but then remembered/realized that the people clamoring against this change will not listen to any voice or reason. Even when confronted with proof of something, she will refuse to believe it. If I had the time and inclination, I would park myself on the corner of Grove and Newark, and count (and video tape) the traffic flow. I am sure it is VERY, VERY little. Alas, I have a job (and, a life) and can't be bothered.

The city should just hire two or three people to do car counts (and, possibly record their flow) at that corner, over the span of several days. I am sure the results will back up what we are saying.

Posted on: 2014/7/2 12:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
I normally get off at Newport, but yesterday I had to pick up some cat food at Fussy Friends. Unfortunately I left my phone at home yesterday or I would have taped the astounding lack of traffic on Newark Ave at 6:30pm. I actually walked the entire block without having a single car drive the street in either direction.

Lots of cars on Grove, some cars making the turn on to Erie. Not a single vehicle driving that stretch of Newark.

Posted on: 2014/7/2 11:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Poncho11 wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

maybeMoving wrote:
I don't think I've ever seen a traffic jam on the stretch of Newark they're planning on closing down.

This. It's actually very little used. The fact is it's NOT considered a through street by any locals I know. If I'm going from HP to the post office, I don't make a left from Jersey on Newark, I make it on Columbus, because I know how clunky the lights for the zigzag at Grove are. No one makes a right from Grove onto Newark who isn't planning on trying to find a parking spot to shop on those blocks, otherwise they'd have made the right onto 2nd or Bay. The ONLY time I ever drive Newark to Grove is to pick someone up at the PATH, and I can easily take 1st to Grove to do it if Newark is closed. The traffic argument is complete bullshit. The merchant are just afraid of change, just like Yvonne.

Talk about Bullshit. it is all about you, isn't it.

Was that supposed to be a coherent argument refuting my first hand examples of why there little traffic there anyway?

Posted on: 2014/7/1 20:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
That makes sense to me, too (maybe adding one evening a week for the farmers market). The city is unlikely to invest in a major transformation to a pedestrian plaza when there are lots of pressing needs in other parts of the city. This approach addresses the needs of the businesses on Newark AND allows for fun, lively events.

maybeMoving, I'm from Miami and love Lincoln Road, too, but it's a tourist draw in a tourism-based city. If Lincoln Road had to survive on the locals' business, it would be a ghost town.

Posted on: 2014/7/1 20:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Considering all the comments; the streets should be able to close to down to traffic from 5 pm onward on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from mid May to end of Sep.

The doc offices should be done by then, the rush hour traffic isn't going to be that much (maybe on a Friday, but it's small sacrifice) and we get our pedestrian plaza.

Win win?

Posted on: 2014/7/1 19:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/30 13:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

maybeMoving wrote:
I don't think I've ever seen a traffic jam on the stretch of Newark they're planning on closing down.

This. It's actually very little used. The fact is it's NOT considered a through street by any locals I know. If I'm going from HP to the post office, I don't make a left from Jersey on Newark, I make it on Columbus, because I know how clunky the lights for the zigzag at Grove are. No one makes a right from Grove onto Newark who isn't planning on trying to find a parking spot to shop on those blocks, otherwise they'd have made the right onto 2nd or Bay. The ONLY time I ever drive Newark to Grove is to pick someone up at the PATH, and I can easily take 1st to Grove to do it if Newark is closed. The traffic argument is complete bullshit. The merchant are just afraid of change, just like Yvonne.

Talk about Bullshit. it is all about you, isn't it.

Posted on: 2014/7/1 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Bring all the nail salons, Pizzerias, and Pet stores to the street? Resized Image

Pedestrian Plaza Jersey City Style...

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/7/1 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
I'm as anti-car as you can be, and I love the idea of pedestrian-friendly spaces. At the same time, I get that doctors' offices and Fussy Friends (a good store, btw) will have some disruptions to their business that should be minimized in creative ways. AND...has anyone thought about what all this open space will actually be used for? Is it going to have tables and chairs like the weirdness that's now Times Square? I mean, do I really want to sit in the middle of Newark Avenue at 4 pm on a Tuesday?

Maybe not 4pm on a Tuesday, but I wouldn't mind sitting out there at 7pm on Tuesday having dinner at one of the restaurants. I would guess the primary use of the increased space will be for more outdoor seating & maybe sidewalk sales if we ever get any decent retail on the block.

Maybe they setup the Farmer's market on Newark with increased space instead on jamming it all into the plaza.

We can mock the look of Times Sq, and it is kind of ugly, but there was a significant increase in business there as well as most of the other places New York decided to close the streets.

Posted on: 2014/7/1 19:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
That's the thing. I don't entirely trust that Jersey City would do something tasteful with the space, to be honest. If done properly, it can be beautiful (the key is planting trees).

I am all for this happening, but it needs to be done creatively and thoughtfully.

That's the issue I have too. Without just committing to making it a real pedestrian plaza I just picture it being an ill utilized stretch of pavement with a few folding chairs baking in the sun. I'd love to see them commit to the idea and make it a fully integrated pedestrian streetscape like Lincoln Road in Miami with trees, tables, benches, etc.

Unfortunately a select few are hellbent on holding back any progress to protect a few parking spots and stop imaginary traffic jams.

Posted on: 2014/7/1 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
That's the thing. I don't entirely trust that Jersey City would do something tasteful with the space, to be honest. If done properly, it can be beautiful (the key is planting trees).

I am all for this happening, but it needs to be done creatively and thoughtfully.

Posted on: 2014/7/1 18:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm as anti-car as you can be, and I love the idea of pedestrian-friendly spaces. At the same time, I get that doctors' offices and Fussy Friends (a good store, btw) will have some disruptions to their business that should be minimized in creative ways. AND...has anyone thought about what all this open space will actually be used for? Is it going to have tables and chairs like the weirdness that's now Times Square? I mean, do I really want to sit in the middle of Newark Avenue at 4 pm on a Tuesday?

Posted on: 2014/7/1 17:37

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017