Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Bathroom undermount sink - questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Also, anyone has opinion about "cultured marble"? I've read some articles online, most of which say they're easy to maintain / great for the price point, durable and can last a long time, etc.

Just want to hear if anyone has personal experience / feedback, would much appreciate it!

Cultured marble is durable and does last a long time it is used in lots of hotel bathrooms. If you want to switch to an over-mount sink you should go to Amazon and look for an over-mount sink that will fit in the opening of your vanity counter.

Posted on: 2014/7/19 23:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Also, anyone has opinion about "cultured marble"? I've read some articles online, most of which say they're easy to maintain / great for the price point, durable and can last a long time, etc.

Just want to hear if anyone has personal experience / feedback, would much appreciate it!

Posted on: 2014/7/19 20:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Good point about seeing it in person! THe one I linked below is the cheapest one that I found on Home Depot's website (and Lowes has one with a similar price point as well) and is currently in stock in store. However, all the higher end (more expensive) models listed on their websites are not in stock in the stores.

Does anyone know where would be a good place to check out higher end "integrated top + sink" units - definitely want to see and feel the difference in person.

We own our place, and definitely want to add something nice, and something that can last a long time. We just don't want to get another undermount sink - I'm tramatized by our current fallen sink, and just don't ever want to deal with another falling sink again.

TIA.

Posted on: 2014/7/19 20:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Hi everyone - while doing my research, I found these "integrated top + bowl" thingies, like this one. I was thinking maybe we'll rip out the exiting vanity top with the old sink, and just plug in one of these!

Our existing cabinet is a standard 31" x 22" - so I should be able to put in one of these integrated top with the existing vanity cabinet bottom, right?

Any advice / suggestions much appreciated! You guys are great!

You should go to HD and see it, you might change you mind. If you own you should spend a bit more money and get materials of better quality, this won't add value to your property unless you intend to be there forever then it doesn't matter.

Posted on: 2014/7/19 11:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hi everyone - while doing my research, I found these "integrated top + bowl" thingies, like this one. I was thinking maybe we'll rip out the exiting vanity top with the old sink, and just plug in one of these!

Our existing cabinet is a standard 31" x 22" - so I should be able to put in one of these integrated top with the existing vanity cabinet bottom, right?

Any advice / suggestions much appreciated! You guys are great!

Posted on: 2014/7/19 0:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tern wrote:
With these tiny sinks you end up with water all over the floor.

Many restaraunts have ridiculously small sinks and soaking wet floors.

Robin.
if that is in reference to the sink I showed, its bowl is not small at all, it's just a smaller footprint cabinet which makes the room seem a little bigger.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 23:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
With these tiny sinks you end up with water all over the floor.

Many restaraunts have ridiculously small sinks and soaking wet floors.

Robin.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I guess it depends on the condition and quality of the cabinet. If you're hiring someone, (I recommend homeowners learn to DIY this kind of basic plumbing, you won't regret it) I would do both at this point. Since all my baths both rental and my own are small, I've been putting in these narrow depth sinks, they come in various widths, but the tops are vitreous china, not that crappy "cultured marble":

Resized Image

Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Alright - coming back to this...

After doing some research, we're also considering replacing the vanity top with a new sink (the current sink is kinda old).

Is this something common and easy to do - just ripping out the existing vanity top and getting a new one, while keeping the vanity "bottom" (the cabinet underneath)? Or should we just replace the whole thing while we're at it?

If so, can you folks recommend:
1. where we can go to get a new vanity top with sink? We were thinking about Home Depot or Lowes. Are there better places (more choices, and/or better prices)?

2. A plumber who can help us do this? We're not very handy, so if it doesn't cost too much, we're thinking getting someone to do it for us (around $200? More? Less?). We'd get all the parts, so this guy would just do the actual installation (countertop, faucuet, etc).

TIA!

Posted on: 2014/7/18 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Alright - coming back to this...

After doing some research, we're also considering replacing the vanity top with a new sink (the current sink is kinda old).

Is this something common and easy to do - just ripping out the existing vanity top and getting a new one, while keeping the vanity "bottom" (the cabinet underneath)? Or should we just replace the whole thing while we're at it?

If so, can you folks recommend:
1. where we can go to get a new vanity top with sink? We were thinking about Home Depot or Lowes. Are there better places (more choices, and/or better prices)?

2. A plumber who can help us do this? We're not very handy, so if it doesn't cost too much, we're thinking getting someone to do it for us (around $200? More? Less?). We'd get all the parts, so this guy would just do the actual installation (countertop, faucuet, etc).

TIA!

Posted on: 2014/7/18 1:59

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/12 3:28
Group:
Registered Users
When I was shopping for countertops for my place and my rentals I went back to Brooklyn. I use L & T Modern Kitchens. No complaints. Best prices, installation time and selections. HD and Loews were charging more than double. Good busnesses rate my recomendations. Their website is not the greatest but the trip to Brooklyn is.
http://www.ltmodernkitchen.net/

Posted on: 2014/7/1 18:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
@ricky241 - sorry, haven't done it yet, been trying to do more research (such as a youtube vib) on more detailed instructions. But with the kiddies home for summer, it's been impossible!!! But it's on the top of my to-do list. If you try it first, please kindly let me know how it works (and share some tips), if you don't mind!

Thanks @penumbra for all the info!!!

Posted on: 2014/7/1 0:11

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/3 15:29
Group:
Registered Users
Missed the question. 5200 will outlast us all. It's commonly used on boats when you want two things to never come apart.

It's banned from my boat for that reason, but has its purposes.

If you want something with less adhesive but similar flex, 3M 4200 is a good fit. Sikaflex is another brand of high quality goo with different flavors of open time, flex and adhesion. 3M is more easily found, though.

Jamestown Distributors is where I normally get such things from, although Defender and Hamilton Marine are sometimes cheaper.

Posted on: 2014/6/30 14:57

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/18 4:10
Group:
Registered Users
Hey SRhia - How did it finally work out for you ? Did you have to replace the sink & countertop or were you able to set the existing sink in place again using caulk ? I am in a similar situation as my undermount bathroom sink slid down over 6 inches.

Posted on: 2014/6/30 13:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The 3M 5200 sounds interesting - will it really last a long time (like 5 years, 10 years, or even more)?

That would save me tons of money!!! My contractor quoted me $200+ just to install the new counter top + sink (in addition to getting the actual sink and countertop at Home Depot).

Posted on: 2014/6/24 22:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Do these big box stores have the best prices, selections and service?

No, but likely you'll have to pick 2 of those 3 wherever you go. There's small kitchen & bath design stores, and Tsigonia Paint is great for a certain pricepoint. For my rentals I get cabs from Tsigonia but Euro bowfront porcelain sinks from Lowes.

Posted on: 2014/6/24 22:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Are there any other places other that HD and Lowe's to get bathroom countertops and sinks? Do these big box stores have the best prices, selections and service?

Posted on: 2014/6/24 21:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

penumbra wrote:
I've done these sorts of things quite a few times. It's completely doable on your own.

Get a razor blade to take off the old caulking, use 3M 5200 and it will never come loose again. Ever. Get some rags and paint thinner or acetone to clean up the excess.

Nice saturday morning project

Agreed. There's also a trick for clamping it in place while the glue sets. take off the drain so you have a hole, get a piece of wood that can bridge the sink opening in the counter, and use a bar clamp to pull it up and hold it after you've glued. If you cant get a clamp into the drain hole just use a circle of rope through and a stick below to give you a loop above for the clamp.

Must have been a crappy job, usually it's the glue not the clips holding it up.

Posted on: 2014/6/24 17:59

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/3 15:29
Group:
Registered Users
I've done these sorts of things quite a few times. It's completely doable on your own.

Get a razor blade to take off the old caulking, use 3M 5200 and it will never come loose again. Ever. Get some rags and paint thinner or acetone to clean up the excess.

Nice saturday morning project

Posted on: 2014/6/24 17:51

Bathroom undermount sink - questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So - my 8+ year old undermount bathroom is finally about to give up. I noticed the other day that one of the clips has fallen off, and the sink is now tilted: there's a visible crack on one side (where it's detached from the counter), and it's being held up by the remaining 3 clips. All the clips seemed to have been glued on to the underside of the counter (no nails used, and I assume it was done in a special way, not with "regular" glue).

I just got a contractor here to take a look, and he suggested:
1. Replace the sink and counter. I should go to home depot to buy both a new sink, and new counter top, where they'll special-glue them together (along with the clips), and my contractor will install the new "set" afterwards;

2. Take my existing counter top + sink to a marble place and see if they can special-glue them together (after doing a proper clean up and all that). And my contractor would help take it off / putting it back on for me;

I'm wondering if someone else has done something similar, and can provide some recommendations? Also, are the above my only options? Has anyone done it with Home Depot that way?

Also, can I buy a sink from somewhere else and have Home Depot special glue it to a counter top? Does anyone know if HD does that?

I thought this would be a simple job (put the clip back, apply some new caulk, and voila!), but looks like not!!! Guess should have known by now - nothing is easy when it comes to home ownership!!!

TIA!

Posted on: 2014/6/24 17:22

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017