Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
101 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: how much does it cost for a 2br apt in downtown JC ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmcee wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Don't want to sound elitist but trump is at the bottom of luxury buildings in JC. No unit that has a washer and dryer in the kitchen is remotely luxurious.

You don't know what you are talking about, not all units in Trump have washer/dryers in the kitchen. The 08 and 02 lines have nice stacked Bosch units in a closet outside the bathroom and are really nice layouts with incredible views. I lived in both an 08 and 02 unit myself for several years and it was pretty amazing despite the Trump name (he is a clown).

I didn't say that all units had washer and dryers in the kitchen. Some do which is ridiculous in my book. Also, all units have those window a/c units which is also far from "luxurious"

Again, few condos in JC are truly luxurious. See my earlier post for all those that can truly be categorized as a luxury condo.

I await for someone in Greenville to say that there are 20 people to a 1 br in crystal point.

Posted on: 2014/7/7 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Don't want to sound elitist but trump is at the bottom of luxury buildings in JC. No unit that has a washer and dryer in the kitchen is remotely luxurious.

You don't know what you are talking about, not all units in Trump have washer/dryers in the kitchen. The 08 and 02 lines have nice stacked Bosch units in a closet outside the bathroom and are really nice layouts with incredible views. I lived in both an 08 and 02 unit myself for several years and it was pretty amazing despite the Trump name (he is a clown).

Posted on: 2014/7/7 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

To the discerning individual who is looking for luxury condo living, there are few options. In terms of mainstream luxury, there is 77 hudson and crystal point. if you want the top of the line luxury, you are looking at sugarhouse which many of you probably have never even heard of....

I'm sorry but to say trump is a luxury condo is like saying "you should buy a fine suit..you know from express" ....

Posted on: 2014/7/5 21:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/6 6:42
Group:
Registered Users
5K? Really? What are you guys smoking?

A 2bed/2bath rents for about 3200 in Exchange Place area.
Here is the first result I got for a search on craigslist for "Grove St".
http://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/abo/4545632520.html

Granted I did not try to open more results.

Posted on: 2014/7/5 19:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Depending on location, I guess a 1 bedroom, or a small 2 bedroom? The point is that if I have 5K to spare every month on rent, why do I want to do it in JC? I understand that family needs space, but again with 5K, even a family can live comfortably in the city - whether renting or buying (and yes, i know many families that do that).

In regards to Avalon Cove, I lived there in the early 2000's. And by the time we leave, it was started to feel old and dated. But what was nice back then was that Mandalay Bay was called "avalon Towers", and residents from both complexes can use each other's pool. The pool at Avalon Cove (really nice!) was always filled with kids on the weekends, but the Avalon Towers pool was usually empty, and it's bigger too.
I also think that Avalon Cove updated all the kitchen a year or two ago, so perhaps they look better now?

Quote:

Lima17 wrote:

What do you think a 5K month mortgage gets you in manhattan???

Posted on: 2014/7/4 15:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Take somewhere like Avalon Cove downtown with prices starting at $3600 for a 2 Br. If the community facilities are not luxury, I don't know what is:

- On-Site ZipCar
- Newly Refinished Outdoor Heated Swimming Pool
- All new kid's room with flatscreen TV's and Kitchenette
- Two Lighted Tennis Courts
- Private Garages
- Gated Entrance/Controlled Access
- 24-hour maintenance response
- WiFi available in common areas
- Landscaped BBQ and Picnic Area
- Brand New State-of-the-Art Fitness Center w/Life Fitness Equipment
- Clubroom with Billiards
- Indoor Racquetball Court and Half-Court Basketball
- On-Site Storage Units Available

http://www.avaloncommunities.com/new- ... -cove/features-amenities/

Um, wasn't Avalon Cove one of the worst buildings for bedbug infestations in JC several years ago? There were complaints galore. I don't know if there's still a bedbug situation over there, but every time I go by there I get the heebie jeebies. No amount of "luxury" is going to make up for that.

Posted on: 2014/7/4 13:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/7/4 3:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Wow! I never understood why people still rent if they can afford to pay so much in rent!!! Why can't they:

1. Buy and get a mortgage? For $5000 in monthly mortgage, I can buy a really nice place, even in NYC!!!

2. Rent instead in NYC. With $5000, I can get a decent 2 bedroom there! Why would I pay that much for a place JC?

Don't get me wrong, I love JC and is a home owner here, but those prices just blows my mind!!!

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
$4,995

That rent is for 2BR + home office (read: 3BR where one bedroom has no windows, but your baby doesn't care) or 3BR.

But, the reason people rent rather than buy is that the NYC area is the only place in the country where buying a given apartment is nearly always more expensive than renting the same apartment, unless you plan to live there for a really long time. The typical horizon for comparison is 7 years. In NYC and immediate environs, including JC, you'd need to live in the same place about 15 years to break even on buying vs. renting.

Also, re: dtjcview's post, if you've ever been inside Avalon Cove, it's not luxurious at all. It's really dated (was built in the mid 90s, I think, and it shows), with very cheap finishes (because back then JC was cheap). You'll find much nicer apartments in a lot of older brownstones. Part of the reason they can charge high prices is that often immigrant families (especially Indian families) and unrelated singles will cram more people into the same space--so that 2BR might be home to four recent-immigrant roommates or a family of five. The Trump building's much nicer, though I wouldn't call it extraordinarily luxurious.

Posted on: 2014/7/4 2:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Excuse me, but most of these "luxury buildings" are over-rated. Nowadays, anything with walls and a bathroom are called luxury. I don't know what other amenities the Art House has (besides the "concierge"), but I know the Trump building is also called "luxury". Well, enough said there!

Just because the builder calls it "luxury", doesn't mean it's really "luxury".

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

This misconception needs to stop. The art house, like most downtown mid rises and high rises are luxury buildings with concierge service.

To live in the same quality in Manhattan, doubling that rent would not afford you even a one bedroom, unless you live in the outer boroughs - Bronx, Queens, etc. Even in brooklyn, DTJC is cheaper for same quality.

And yes, you can buy in Manhattan and pay 5k a month for a mortgage, IT WILL NOT BE A FULL SERVICE BUILDING and if you can afford the down payment for a condo, good luck living in that 1br, 550 square feet.

What do you think a 5K month mortgage gets you in manhattan???

Posted on: 2014/7/4 2:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Take somewhere like Avalon Cove downtown with prices starting at $3600 for a 2 Br. If the community facilities are not luxury, I don't know what is:

- On-Site ZipCar
- Newly Refinished Outdoor Heated Swimming Pool
- All new kid's room with flatscreen TV's and Kitchenette
- Two Lighted Tennis Courts
- Private Garages
- Gated Entrance/Controlled Access
- 24-hour maintenance response
- WiFi available in common areas
- Landscaped BBQ and Picnic Area
- Brand New State-of-the-Art Fitness Center w/Life Fitness Equipment
- Clubroom with Billiards
- Indoor Racquetball Court and Half-Court Basketball
- On-Site Storage Units Available

http://www.avaloncommunities.com/new- ... -cove/features-amenities/

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Excuse me, but most of these "luxury buildings" are over-rated. Nowadays, anything with walls and a bathroom are called luxury. I don't know what other amenities the Art House has (besides the "concierge"), but I know the Trump building is also called "luxury". Well, enough said there!

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

This misconception needs to stop. The art house, like most downtown mid rises and high rises are luxury buildings with concierge service.

To live in the same quality in Manhattan, doubling that rent would not afford you even a one bedroom, unless you live in the outer boroughs - Bronx, Queens, etc. Even in brooklyn, DTJC is cheaper for same quality.

And yes, you can buy in Manhattan and pay 5k a month for a mortgage, IT WILL NOT BE A FULL SERVICE BUILDING and if you can afford the down payment for a condo, good luck living in that 1br, 550 square feet.

The description said the art house has a rooftop pool. Seems pretty luxurious to me.

Posted on: 2014/7/3 23:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
The "luxury" topic is a good one. My wife and I debate this from time to time. We've come to the conclusion that "luxury" means, essentially, stainless steel appliances and marble, where appropriate. A very loose (and low) standard.

A rooftop pool is inviting - and the Trump building has tremendous amenities, but then you have the wall unit heating and cooling, like at the Econo Lodge. Some people don't mind that, but for me that would be a deal breaker - so is "luxury" in the eye of the beholder?

Posted on: 2014/7/3 23:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

The description said the art house has a rooftop pool. Seems pretty luxurious to me.

Posted on: 2014/7/3 22:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/3 22:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Wow! I never understood why people still rent if they can afford to pay so much in rent!!! Why can't they:

1. Buy and get a mortgage? For $5000 in monthly mortgage, I can buy a really nice place, even in NYC!!!

2. Rent instead in NYC. With $5000, I can get a decent 2 bedroom there! Why would I pay that much for a place JC?

Don't get me wrong, I love JC and is a home owner here, but those prices just blows my mind!!!

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
$4,995

Most people dtjc share apartments, they live in some sort of room mate situation. With a roommate it is very affordable. Especially if you are sharing a 2 bedroom with two couples.

To those who do not live in dtjc like user, yes there are 10 people to a 1 br or 2br in jc and that is how we afford our rents.

From someone who actually lives in a luxury high rise, most of the homeowners living in 2 brs I know are single familes who have a child and the 1 brs are single individuals or a couple. Most work in Manhattan and make at least 70k, which for a Manhattanite is a poor man's salary.

User can have his "opinions" about downtown residents though. Just like every downtown person thinks GV has the highest homocide rate in all of JC, oh wait, that is not an opinion.

Posted on: 2014/7/3 20:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
$4,995

Posted on: 2014/7/3 20:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Not to mention that if you are renting, the total monthly rent is your total monthly expense. If you were to pull out a mortgage that equals $4,000 (or, $5,000) per month, you are talking about a property that is close to 1 million dollars, for which you are likely to pay another $20,000 in property taxes. That bumps the total monthly costs another $1,500. Add to that the requisite property insurance, and the regular costs associated with owning a property, and you can see how the math is simply not that simple. If the property is a condo, you must also factor in the HOA and maintenance costs. Before you know it, your $5,000 mortgage translates into a monthly outlay of about $8,000, maybe more.

Posted on: 2014/7/3 20:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
$4,995

Most people dtjc share apartments, they live in some sort of room mate situation. With a roommate it is very affordable. Especially if you are sharing a 2 bedroom with two couples.

Posted on: 2014/7/3 18:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
$4,995

Posted on: 2014/7/3 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/3 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jcpaddy wrote:
Zillow.com?
You've go to be kidding me.

Zillow is soley a property value estimator...a Zestimate.
It's listed values are educated guesses based on public records and previous sales.

I don't think you know how to use Zillow.com, or have ever actually used it. As others just pointed out, Zillow.com displays its "Zestimates" alongside the published listed prices (for both rentals, and sales).

Posted on: 2014/6/30 23:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Jcpaddy wrote:
Zillow.com?

It's listed values are educated guesses based on public records and previous sales.

Zillow can easily be used to find recent sales rather than just looking at "zestimates". Assuming the OP meant buying rather than renting. For rentals Rentometer.com is fascinating. It's data is very localized, often within 1/10 mile if there's enough comps.

Posted on: 2014/6/30 18:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/20 18:54
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Everything you say below is true, but Zillow does have prices of currently listed homes, which are usually a good starting point in terms of value. Sure, many people probably list their homes for more than they are really worth, but a good broker will help you get to the right price if you find something you are interested in.

Quote:

Jcpaddy wrote:
Zillow.com?

Zillow has no idea if the house/apt has been updated.
Did you put in a new kitchen? Update your bathrooms? Finish your basement?
Add Central Air and Heat? Put in a new water heater? Update your back garden?
Zillow has no idea of any of this.

It can be really accurate in a neighborhood of really homogenous houses. But when you get in a situation where house are all different (like Jersey City), it can be way off.

I live in the Heights. Does Zillow take into consideration that I'm one minute to Hoboken, 4 minutes to the Holland Tunnel and 9 minutes to downtown Manhattan? That I live on one of the nicest streets up here? It has no idea.

Example:
Friend of mine just sold his one family brownstone in the Heights on Webster Ave.
Zillow estimate: $320,000
Sold it for $540,000 after a bidding war.
(God bless the Heights!)

Check your real estate websites (Coldwell, Weichert are both big in JC) to get a real feel for what things cost.
Craigs list will give you a good start as well.
But don't ever, ever go by what is listed on Zillow.
Good luck with your apt hunting.

Posted on: 2014/6/30 18:53

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/1 15:38
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Zillow.com?

Zillow has no idea if the house/apt has been updated.
Did you put in a new kitchen? Update your bathrooms? Finish your basement?
Add Central Air and Heat? Put in a new water heater? Update your back garden?
Zillow has no idea of any of this.

It can be really accurate in a neighborhood of really homogenous houses. But when you get in a situation where house are all different (like Jersey City), it can be way off.

I live in the Heights. Does Zillow take into consideration that I'm one minute to Hoboken, 4 minutes to the Holland Tunnel and 9 minutes to downtown Manhattan? That I live on one of the nicest streets up here? It has no idea.

Example:
Friend of mine just sold his one family brownstone in the Heights on Webster Ave.
Zillow estimate: $320,000
Sold it for $540,000 after a bidding war.
(God bless the Heights!)

Check your real estate websites (Coldwell, Weichert are both big in JC) to get a real feel for what things cost.
Craigs list will give you a good start as well.
But don't ever, ever go by what is listed on Zillow.
Good luck with your apt hunting.

Posted on: 2014/6/30 18:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/12 19:50
Group:
Registered Users
From $400k to over $1 mil.

Posted on: 2014/6/30 16:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Zillow.com

Posted on: 2014/6/30 14:45

how much does it cost for a 2br apt in downtown JC ?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/30 14:34
Group:
Registered Users
how much does it cost for a 2br apt in downtown JC ?

Posted on: 2014/6/30 14:36

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017