Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 »

Re: Jersey City considers turning Newark Avenue into pedestrian plaza

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/11 23:53
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Something like this. The avenue could be paved as a pedestrian plaza, with bike-lane style lines painted in the center for one-way vehicle access.

http://goodspeedupdate.com/category/pedestrian-space

This is exactly the street I was thinking of when I was reading the concerns of the business owners. There's no reason that there can't be exceptions for deliveries, handicapped persons, etc, as they do on this street in Boston. It would just be understood that it's not a through-road at certain hours, and that during those hours pedestrians have right-of-way.

The traffic arguments are outdated. All cannot be sacrificed to ensure the best level of service to cars on all streets. The plaza at Grove has become such a focal point of community activity downtown that I feel the benefits far outweigh the occasional traffic backups. I feel the same would likely be true for the closing of Newark Ave. I'm in full support of a pilot.

Posted on: 2014/6/29 12:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
The traffic heading west between Grove and Erie is all turning from Manilla/Grove. They could just as easily make the turn at Bay St.

But none of us are traffic experts - it would be pretty simple to shut the section for a period and assess the impact.

Posted on: 2014/6/28 1:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Newark Avenue has two way traffic, it is not a passive street. The traffic actually got worse when the city closed the street where the Grove station sits. There has been times returning home I have been stuck on Newark Avenue in traffic for over 10 minutes on one block and the street is not closed.

Posted on: 2014/6/28 1:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Newark Avenue has two lanes of traffic running east and west. Where do you get this special lane? Newark Avenue is narrow compared to NYC.

Hi Squeaky wheel, ever been to lower manhattan?

Posted on: 2014/6/28 1:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Something like this. The avenue could be paved as a pedestrian plaza, with bike-lane style lines painted in the center for one-way vehicle access.

http://goodspeedupdate.com/category/pedestrian-space

Posted on: 2014/6/28 1:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Newark Avenue has two lanes of traffic running east and west. Where do you get this special lane? Newark Avenue is narrow compared to NYC.

Virtually nothing runs west from Grove since they closed the turn from Columbus. A simple one-way running east would work.

Posted on: 2014/6/28 0:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/6/27 23:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Poncho11 wrote:
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
I personally support this proposal but I will say that in my mother's later years any walk beyond the car to the door was almost impossible. She cancelled more doctors appointments than she kept because of her mobility. (No, doctors don't make house calls. And this is not the place for that discussion.)

Ditto !

Simple solution. Have a single-lane, 10mph speed limit, through the plaza open to Jitneys, cabs, handicapped accessible vans and anyone with a disability sticker, with full right of way to pedestrians - and no stopping or standing posted.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 22:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The issue is not closing the street, it is closing the street next to the PATH station on Newark Avenue, the rest of the city uses the jitney buses to get to the PATH. Not everyone lives downtown and are able to walk to the PATH. I realize this ordinance changes the hours, but the return trip home would be a nightmare.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 22:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/30 13:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
I personally support this proposal but I will say that in my mother's later years any walk beyond the car to the door was almost impossible. She cancelled more doctors appointments than she kept because of her mobility. (No, doctors don't make house calls. And this is not the place for that discussion.)

Ditto !

Posted on: 2014/6/27 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/6/27 17:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
What I find amusing is that Dr. Chinai spoke about his patients while opposing this. In my volunteer work with recovering addicts at JCMC his "practice" is the most cited as being an easy pill spot. I don't know any local that I worked with there who has not gone to him regularly for whatever they were addicted to. He knows that he has supplied pain killers to addicts for years (have confronted him about it many times) yet he does nothing to change his ways and is very well trained in writing scripts.

Regardless, it really is just the old guard who oppose this, and generally oppose any change. Thus this may have to wait for them to die off/move away, but I am confident this will happen.

Does he write all the script for methodone ?

Posted on: 2014/6/27 15:33
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
What I find amusing is that Dr. Chinai spoke about his patients while opposing this. In my volunteer work with recovering addicts at JCMC his "practice" is the most cited as being an easy pill spot. I don't know any local that I worked with there who has not gone to him regularly for whatever they were addicted to. He knows that he has supplied pain killers to addicts for years (have confronted him about it many times) yet he does nothing to change his ways and is very well trained in writing scripts.

Regardless, it really is just the old guard who oppose this, and generally oppose any change. Thus this may have to wait for them to die off/move away, but I am confident this will happen.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Unbelievable. It's hard to move this city forward.

Sometimes but maybe the city finally came to their senses concerning liability.

This could be closer to the truth !

http://volumeone.org/street/a/article14

Maybe we can learn from Virginia about street and pedestrian safety ?

http://www.urbanstreet.info/2nd_sym_p ... dings/Volume%202/Case.pdf

Posted on: 2014/6/27 15:13

Edited by fat-ass-bike on 2014/6/27 15:30:32
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Sometimes but maybe the city finally came to their senses concerning liability.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 15:02
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Seems to me that the people who did not want this all showed up at the council meeting to make their voices heard.

Those in favor of the plan just bitched on this message board.

Hmm, I wonder why the decision turned out the way it did?

Posted on: 2014/6/27 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/24 17:22
Group:
Registered Users

The ordinance states 24 hour closure on Sat and Sun.

Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

CatsnDogs wrote:
The closure to vehicular traffic on Sundays will be a hardship to me and my 501c3 non profit, Companion Animal Trust. Companion Animal Trust provides a free service to the City of Jersey City by rescuing, fostering,providing medical care, and rehoming stray cats.

We do cat adoptions every Sunday at Fussy Friends at 148 Newark Avenue from 11 am - 5pm. Since we started our partnership with Fussy Friends in 2012 we have adopted out 163 cats.

Each Sunday we drive the cats and our equipment to the store, unload and then find appropriate parking. If the street is closed to us, will someone from the Harsimus Cove Association step up and carry these heavy items for us?

The owners of Fussy Friends do not support this closure either. Customers purchase heavy bags of litter and food almost weekly and use their cars to transport it home. If they cannot bring their cars onto Newark Avenue Fussy Friends will lose these customers.

"modified the hours to not start until later (3pm)"

Posted on: 2014/6/27 14:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatsnDogs wrote:
The closure to vehicular traffic on Sundays will be a hardship to me and my 501c3 non profit, Companion Animal Trust. Companion Animal Trust provides a free service to the City of Jersey City by rescuing, fostering,providing medical care, and rehoming stray cats.

We do cat adoptions every Sunday at Fussy Friends at 148 Newark Avenue from 11 am - 5pm. Since we started our partnership with Fussy Friends in 2012 we have adopted out 163 cats.

Each Sunday we drive the cats and our equipment to the store, unload and then find appropriate parking. If the street is closed to us, will someone from the Harsimus Cove Association step up and carry these heavy items for us?

The owners of Fussy Friends do not support this closure either. Customers purchase heavy bags of litter and food almost weekly and use their cars to transport it home. If they cannot bring their cars onto Newark Avenue Fussy Friends will lose these customers.

"modified the hours to not start until later (3pm)"

Posted on: 2014/6/27 14:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Poncho11 wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
If the good Doctor has so many patients with a disability that are unable to use a wheel chair or arrange to be pushed, then maybe the good Doctor could do house calls and provide that special care they truly need, then force them to come to him!

The good Doctor put his foot in his mouth when he pointed out another valid reason for change; high vehicular traffic all the time in a shopping strip that also has to accommodate high pedestrian traffic (highlighting that he has older and disabled clients mixed with that vehicular and pedestrian traffic).

You would think a pedestrian plaza would make it safer for them with a more open area and chairs to rest at !

I saw earlier where you said you own a business, is it in this area being contested. I thought that you would have a more courteous attitude towards their objections. Also both he & Seigel could not be better . more considerate, people.

I am thinking of the benefits to businesses and not relying on myths, personal opinions, unfounded fear or silly excuses.

This link might help understand what the benefits are with pedestrian malls or plaza

http://volumeone.org/street/a/article8 If you do a google search, it makes for interesting reading

Posted on: 2014/6/27 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/30 13:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
If the good Doctor has so many patients with a disability that are unable to use a wheel chair or arrange to be pushed, then maybe the good Doctor could do house calls and provide that special care they truly need, then force them to come to him!

The good Doctor put his foot in his mouth when he pointed out another valid reason for change; high vehicular traffic all the time in a shopping strip that also has to accommodate high pedestrian traffic (highlighting that he has older and disabled clients mixed with that vehicular and pedestrian traffic).

You would think a pedestrian plaza would make it safer for them with a more open area and chairs to rest at !

I saw earlier where you said you own a business, is it in this area being contested. I thought that you would have a more courteous attitude towards their objections. Also both he & Seigel could not be better . more considerate, people.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/24 17:22
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/6/27 13:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not buying it, how do these same people with disabilities that visit the good Doctor go to any store, visit friends or venture out at all ? If their disability was so severe, house calls would be the only safe option for them.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 13:24

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
I'm glad they're making accommodations for folks. If your mobility is severely impaired, 100 ft is a LONG way, no matter what kind of assistive device you're using. The difference between being dropped off in front of the door vs. walking/rolling 100ft can be a deal breaker for some.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 12:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
"You're going to put patients' lives at risk," Chinai said of his patients, some handicapped and elderly, who will have to walk several blocks to reach his practice because they would not longer be dropped off in front."

Wouldn't those patients already have a cane, walker, wheelchair or other mobility aid, if the difference between a few yards and a single city block is too much for them??? This just strikes me as alarmist...

Posted on: 2014/6/27 12:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
From a facebook post:

Candice Osborne It should have been passed and I was surprised it didn't. The reason it was tabled was something if already solved for and communicated, but it appears it wasn't fully understood. The (valid) concern is for disabled patients and being in compliance with ADA. For this we already 4 things: 1) put handicapped parking spots on either end 2) put an unloading zone on either end 3) modified the hours to not start until later (3pm) and 4) wrote into the ordinance that accommodation must be made for ADA (which gives city flexibility to make additional changes during the pilot period if the above 3 are not sufficient)

So the people who really, really need to get to the DRs office and can't make it the 100 feet from Grove could simply make an appointment during the week before 3pm.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 12:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
It's not even a full block, not even close. The good DR is 3 buildings from Grove, about 100 feet or so from where they can be dropped off, or less than any optometrist in a mall, less than many suburban strip malls, less than the WalMart optometrists.

If they're coming from JC (and they likely are) there's a good chance they had to walk farther to get to their car to drive over than they will to have to get to his office when they are dropped off.

Anyway Candace has said she's still pretty optimistic it will pass.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 12:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users

They are only closing from Erie to grove. So the farthest those patients have to walk is 1 block to 135 Newark. Are they that debilitated and infirm? Come on. I guess we will have to wait til the opponents move on....

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/6/27 9:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/6/27 6:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

"I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly (of Newark Avenue)," said Savoy who started his practice in 1946 after World War II. "I've spent too many years building it up to see it go by the waste side."

Is this article saying Dr. Savoy has been working at this location for 70 years? How could that possibly be true? He'd have to be in his 90s.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 5:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/6/27 4:28

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017