Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
132 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: World Cup in JC...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Fun fact: The USA could feature a starting lineup that contains 4 players from New Jersey. Tim Howard, Jozy Altidore, Michael Bradley and Alejandro Bedoya.

If you can't root for your country, you can lat least root for your state!

Posted on: 2014/6/11 19:28
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/25 1:51
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/

I think the USA are the highest they've ever been in the FIFA world rankings going into the World Cup - at 13th they're above the Netherlands and France for example. They're capable of providing a few shock results against other nations. Plus doing well - say reaching the semis - would be a huge boost for the sport in this country in terms of support, finance and TV coverage.

I love watching the artistry and individual brilliance in teams like Brazil, Spain and Argentina. And I tend to cheer on teams that field players from international clubs I support during the regular season. But perhaps this year I'll support the USA all the way. It would be awesome if they won.

Before the 2006 World Cup, the US was ranked #5, behind only Brazil, Mexico, the Czechs, and Netherlands. They also finished at the bottom of the group that year.

Posted on: 2014/6/11 19:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
[/quote]
Italy will be stronger than believed... They have 2 of the best strikers in the tournament... Hopefully they will not have to shift to a two striker formation throughout the tournament, but it would be exciting if they did. [/quote]

imho, defense wins games, just like in previous WCs

Posted on: 2014/6/11 19:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
As long as you don't root for another country in a war, it's totally irrelevant.

Funny you should say that. The World Cup is one of the few opportunities for citizens of participating countries to engage in a mostly harmless expression of national pride, something that?s obviously notorious for causing more harm than good. We certainly don?t have to treat the World Cup that way, but how many opportunities are there to wave the Stars and Stripes at other countries without racking up a body count or screwing people over in the process?

Posted on: 2014/6/11 18:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/8 23:34
From The Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
Trying to bring this thread back on track, check out this article in NJ.com:

World Cup 2014 TV schedule: Game times, channels, announcers, live streaming and more
http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/06/post.html

Posted on: 2014/6/11 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Actually we were ranked #4 going into the 06 cup, but those rankings are largely meaningless. Our team has looked as good as I've ever seen this qualification cycle and I expect us to advance.

Posted on: 2014/6/11 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/

I think the USA are the highest they've ever been in the FIFA world rankings going into the World Cup - at 13th they're above the Netherlands and France for example. They're capable of providing a few shock results against other nations. Plus doing well - say reaching the semis - would be a huge boost for the sport in this country in terms of support, finance and TV coverage.

I love watching the artistry and individual brilliance in teams like Brazil, Spain and Argentina. And I tend to cheer on teams that field players from international clubs I support during the regular season. But perhaps this year I'll support the USA all the way. It would be awesome if they won.

Posted on: 2014/6/11 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
I'm third generation Italian-American and I'm going to root for Brazil just because I recently visited there and thought it was awesome.

It's silly to say you have to root for the US...how many of us avoid buying American cars, electronics, going on vacations abroad instead of here...does that makes us any less American?

Italians in particular are all over the world, have one of the biggest diasporas, you are likely American by accident. You could have easily been Brazilian or Argentinian- as most Italians went to those places. Or if you're one of the many Italians who went to Canada, should you not root at all because Canada isn't in the cup?

As long as you don't root for another country in a war, it's totally irrelevant.

I bet you are huge cowobys, lakers, duke basketball, and alabama football fan.

Posted on: 2014/6/11 17:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 12:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

JoeGee wrote:
USA will not get out of round a... their group is to strong.

FORZA AZZURRI!!!

The group strength is undeniable, but saying the USA won?t get out is far too pessimistic. It wouldn?t surprise me if they don?t, but I think they certainly can get out.

Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:
Unless you are born in Italy any American rooting for another country is a jerk off.

You beat me to it. After all, the number of people in Italy who cheer for France could probably share a table for lunch.

I have a lot of respect for my Italian heritage, but those azzurro prima donnas take a spill and cry foul if the wind blows their hair out of place. Considering what it says on my passport, it?s USA win or lose.

As much as I?m a complete homer for the USA and wish Rossi had chosen his birth nation? I can?t agree. There are various reasons for rooting on other nations and just because Joe is rooting on Italy, it doesn?t necessarily mean that he wants the USA to lose.

Quote:

JoeGee wrote:
Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:
Unless you are born in Italy any American rooting for another country is a jerk off.

My Dad lives in Italy, every direct cousin on my fathers side is in Italy... I have been to Italy about 10 times... My mom is an American who happened to meet my dad while she was on vacation. Why I am explaining myself is beyond me but you guys can sip the d.

USA is in a "Group of Death" that might beat Ghana. Sure I would like to see the States do well, I do not know what I would do if they played the Azzurri since soccer means a lot more to my family in Italy than 99% of the Americans I know, all I am saying is that the US is in trouble this year...

Your just another person with JCList message board muscles that assumes you know a persons culture before speaking.

And all of that makes sense. Unfortunately, Italy is in a rather tough group as well and don?t have the strongest team. I happen to think they?ll win the group, but they could just as easily bomb out early due to their typical slow start.

Quote:

Asif wrote:

I enjoy soccer and have rooted for France in the world cups. And yes for those who care, i hope America loses. I know, so terrible of me. :(

Hope they lose...? Harsh!

Italy will be stronger than believed... They have 2 of the best strikers in the tournament... Hopefully they will not have to shift to a two striker formation throughout the tournament, but it would be exciting if they did.

Posted on: 2014/6/11 17:41
The All Knowing and All Powerful Joe Has Spoken!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
I'm third generation Italian-American and I'm going to root for Brazil just because I recently visited there and thought it was awesome.

It's silly to say you have to root for the US...how many of us avoid buying American cars, electronics, going on vacations abroad instead of here...does that makes us any less American?

Italians in particular are all over the world, have one of the biggest diasporas, you are likely American by accident. You could have easily been Brazilian or Argentinian- as most Italians went to those places. Or if you're one of the many Italians who went to Canada, should you not root at all because Canada isn't in the cup?

Posted on: 2014/6/11 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Sip the d?? Is that an Italian expression, JoeGee? Is that what Materazzi said to Zidane?

My father was born in Italy, but that doesn?t make me Italian no matter how many times I visit. Besides, there?s nobody better to take it to than our brothers.

I consider myself an Italian-American. My Father is Italian my mother is an American. Sip the d is an expression I used to tell you how I feel without getting the webmaster to yank my post. As for Materazzi's comment, I believe it had something to do with Zidane's mom.

Posted on: 2014/6/11 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Sip the d?? Is that an Italian expression, JoeGee? Is that what Materazzi said to Zidane?

My father was born in Italy, but that doesn?t make me Italian no matter how many times I visit. Besides, there?s nobody better to take it to than our brothers.

Posted on: 2014/6/11 15:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JoeGee wrote:

FORZA AZZURRI!!!

The group strength is undeniable, but saying the USA won?t get out is far too pessimistic. It wouldn?t surprise me if they don?t, but I think they certainly can get out.

Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:

You beat me to it. After all, the number of people in Italy who cheer for France could probably share a table for lunch.

I have a lot of respect for my Italian heritage, but those azzurro prima donnas take a spill and cry foul if the wind blows their hair out of place. Considering what it says on my passport, it?s USA win or lose.

As much as I?m a complete homer for the USA and wish Rossi had chosen his birth nation? I can?t agree. There are various reasons for rooting on other nations and just because Joe is rooting on Italy, it doesn?t necessarily mean that he wants the USA to lose.

Quote:

JoeGee wrote:
Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:

My Dad lives in Italy, every direct cousin on my fathers side is in Italy... I have been to Italy about 10 times... My mom is an American who happened to meet my dad while she was on vacation. Why I am explaining myself is beyond me but you guys can sip the d.

USA is in a "Group of Death" that might beat Ghana. Sure I would like to see the States do well, I do not know what I would do if they played the Azzurri since soccer means a lot more to my family in Italy than 99% of the Americans I know, all I am saying is that the US is in trouble this year...

Your just another person with JCList message board muscles that assumes you know a persons culture before speaking.

And all of that makes sense. Unfortunately, Italy is in a rather tough group as well and don?t have the strongest team. I happen to think they?ll win the group, but they could just as easily bomb out early due to their typical slow start.

Quote:

Asif wrote:

I enjoy soccer and have rooted for France in the world cups. And yes for those who care, i hope America loses. I know, so terrible of me. :(

Hope they lose...? Harsh!

Posted on: 2014/6/11 14:59
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JoeGee wrote:
Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:

Hey if you primarily identify as Italian feel free to root for them, but that would be pretty strange for someone who has only been on vacation there. The idea of international competition is that you support YOUR country. This isn't pro sports. Your issue seems to be the relative strength of each side, but let me remind you it wasn't the Italians that came out in top the last time the two countries met.

Posted on: 2014/6/11 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/6/11 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:

Posted on: 2014/6/11 14:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:

Posted on: 2014/6/11 14:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/6/11 14:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

FORZA AZZURRI!!!

Posted on: 2014/6/11 13:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Looks like it's going to be Zeppelin Hall for USA/Ghana on Monday. So I'll be there pretty much all day since the early games matter...

Posted on: 2014/6/11 13:27
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
During the last World Cup, I remember catching a few games at Zeppelin and having a great time. People got really into it. Not sure if I would call it a Team USA soccer bar, but I think any bar showing USNMT matches will have a lively turnout.

Posted on: 2014/6/10 14:38

World Cup in JC...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
I'm looking to see which bars will cater to USA fans the most. Is it Zeppelin Hall with their monstrous screens? Is it Hopsscotch with all of their screens?

Much like what was asked about the bar having sound for the Stanley Cup Finals, I'm looking for places that are going all out for these games...with a bias towards USA.

Posted on: 2014/6/10 13:44
Dos A Cero

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017