Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
75 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 75

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: 5-year-old Jersey City boy shot..
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I found out from a neighbor that a pregnant woman was murdered by her former boyfriend at 135 Montgomery St. about 4 years ago, but it never made the papers. The unborn child did survive.

This aligns pretty well with your fact checking skills...

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2009/12/post_49.html

Posted on: 2014/6/10 16:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:

It's a bit harder to find crime stats specific to DTJC over the past five years. I've been here for about 5 years, and I definetly find the neighborhood safer. Maybe I'm just more used some of the seedier areas.

DTJC stats are under "East" in the COMPSTAT numbers. There is a strong downward trend over the years, but I don't know how this compares to local, state and national averages.

http://www.njjcpd.org/node/5

Posted on: 2014/6/9 3:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I found out from a neighbor that a pregnant woman was murdered by her former boyfriend at 135 Montgomery St. about 4 years ago, but it never made the papers. The unborn child did survive.

Posted on: 2014/6/9 2:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Teenager charged in shooting of Jersey City 5-year-old: officials
By Patrick Villanova/The Jersey Journal
on June 06, 2014 at 12:51 PM, updated June 06, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Jersey City Police arrested a teenager this morning and charged him with shooting a 5-year-old boy in the abdomen at Martin Luther King Drive and Union Street earlier this week, the city announced.

The 16-year-old Grant Avenue resident was arrested shortly after 10 a.m. today and charged with aggravated assault, possession of a weapon by minors, possession of a weapon for unlawful purpose and unlawful possession of weapons, the city said in a press release.

Jaden -- the 5-year-old victim -- was left in critical condition after he was shot near the Salem Lafayette housing complex at around 3:30 p.m. on Wednesday. Salem Lafayette residents said Jaden ran into the complex and collapsed on the sidewalk after being struck by a bullet.

The gunman fired at least four shots during a large fight, according to one resident, who said she was in her car at the time of the shooting.

The boy was taken to Jersey City Medical Center, where he was treated by the hospital's trauma team and was in surgery by 5 p.m. Jaden was kept at the hospital overnight last night, but a JCMC spokesman said that he was in "excellent" condition yesterday.

?The Police Department worked aggressively and relentlessly to develop leads in this case and arrest the individual responsible,? Mayor Steve Fulop said in the release. ?Anyone who commits this type of senseless crime will be subject to the full force of our police department and will be arrested and prosecuted.?

As part of the investigation into the shooting, police organized a series of high visibility patrols with 90 officers fanning out in both the South and West Districts yesterday and the Special Investigations Unit, the Street Crimes Unit, as well as the CeaseFire Unit, all conducting investigations in the area of the shooting.

CeaseFire and Street Crimes Detectives gathered information that led to the identification of the shooter and a warrant for his arrest late last night. Officers attempted to arrest the shooter at his home last night, but he was not present.

The suspect turned himself into the Criminal Warrants and Major Case Squad with his parents this morning.

Link

Posted on: 2014/6/6 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
I have lived in DTJC since 2003 and do not remember the violent street crime of last 3 months being this bad, even 5 years ago... B&Es? my building has been broken into a couple times but that comes with any neighborhood. Usually it is a purse / ipod snatching. But Guns, crowbars and box cutters in the middle of the night, no that stuff didn't happen 5 years ago. I was out late a lot more then.

You aren't sure which neighborhoods are safer??? LOL, You didn't know DTJC is safer than other JC neighborhoods?

DTJC had murders last year, and the year before. That doesn't mean it's not MUCH safer than most parts of this city. Also, yes the "new norm" today, is better than the "norm" 5 years ago.
[/quote]

It's a bit harder to find crime stats specific to DTJC over the past five years. I've been here for about 5 years, and I definetly find the neighborhood safer. Maybe I'm just more used some of the seedier areas.

Anyway, back to my original point, DTJC is safer than most JC neighborhoods. The crime rate between neighborhoods varies vastly:

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nj/jersey-city/crime/

Posted on: 2014/6/6 1:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
I have lived in DTJC since 2003 and do not remember the violent street crime of last 3 months being this bad, even 5 years ago... B&Es? my building has been broken into a couple times but that comes with any neighborhood. Usually it is a purse / ipod snatching. But Guns, crowbars and box cutters in the middle of the night, no that stuff didn't happen 5 years ago. I was out late a lot more then.

You aren't sure which neighborhoods are safer??? LOL, You didn't know DTJC is safer than other JC neighborhoods?

DTJC had murders last year, and the year before. That doesn't mean it's not MUCH safer than most parts of this city. Also, yes the "new norm" today, is better than the "norm" 5 years ago.
[/quote]

Posted on: 2014/6/6 1:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
And, why are people moving to JC? It is so scary all this violence.

It really depends on the neighborhood. I don't feel the Heights is scary at all.

In NYC, 2 kids were stabbed in Brooklyn in an elevator, one of the kids died. Where - in a housing project; the Times divulged the statistic that in NYC 20% of crimes occur in housing projects, which are home to 5% of the population. Awful, but as little Jaden learned the hard way, even if you can't explain "location, location, location" it has a big impact on your life. If, on the other hand, you don't live in or near a JC housing project, you can probably be forgiven for thinking there is no crime issue.

On a happier note - Jaden is on the mend, yay!

Posted on: 2014/6/6 0:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Glad to hear he's ok!

Posted on: 2014/6/5 20:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Not sure which neighborhoods... in DTJC we have had a murder, sexual assault and at least 2 reported attacks by youths... not sure if this is the "new norm"?

Wow you can count them on one hand with a finger left over.

Posted on: 2014/6/5 17:28
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
(Thank goodness this little boy survived...and will be home soon.)

5-year-old Jersey City shooting victim could be released from hospital today: official

LINK TO STORY

The 5-year-old Jersey City boy who was shot in the abdomen yesterday is now in "excellent" condition and will be released from the hospital either today or tomorrow, Jersey City Medical Center spokesman Mark Rabson said.

The boy, Jaden, was initially listed in critical condition before he went into surgery yesterday afternoon.

Yesterday at around 3:30 p.m. in the area of Union Street and Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, a gunman fired at least four shots during a large fight, according to a Jersey City resident who said she was in her car at the time of the shooting.

Jaden was struck by a bullet, but made it into the nearby Lafayette Gardens housing complex, entered the gate on Union Street and collapsed a short time later, residents said.

"I saw him running slow and when he got near the door he just dropped," said Britney Lockett, a friend of the boy's family. "I was shocked. My heart aches and I am just praying for him."

Emergency medical technicians from the JCMC arrived just after 3:30 p.m. and found the boy had been shot in the abdomen. He was rushed to the JCMC, treated by a trauma team and was in surgery by 5 p.m.

By 6:30 p.m., Jaden was out of surgery and stable, a hospital official said.

When asked this morning if any arrests have been made in connection to the shooting, Jersey City spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said that the police investigation into the incident is ongoing and that no comment can be made at this time.

Councilman Daniel Rivera, who said he spoke to Jaden's mother and grandmother yesterday evening, called the shooting of Jaden "senseless" and "absolutely unacceptable."

"I'm going to be very proactive to make sure that the corners of the west side and south side that are being flooded with gang activity, drug dealers -- I'm going to make sure we address that as soon as possible," he said. "We, as a city, need to come together to protect everybody, but especially our youth."

Jersey City public schools spokeswoman Maryann Dickar said today that the school district is "greatly saddened by the shooting of one of our youngest students near his home and wishes him a speedy and full recovery."

Jaden's aunt told The Jersey Journal yesterday that Jaden attends School 14 and described him as a "happy boy."

Dickar said that support personnel have been sent to Jaden's school to help students and staff, and that the district has reached out to Jaden's family to see how it can support them.

Posted on: 2014/6/5 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
You would think that the nation (western - 1st world, which is us) with the highest gun ownership in the WORLD would be the safest place in the WORLD, yet we have the highest gun related crimes in the WORLD ... it all doesn't make sense !

Since you seem very confused, I will help you. The truth is gun homicides are down dramatically in America. It used to be much much worse.

But since the media tells us about every shooting now, this creates the false perception that things are a lot worse than they really are.

http://m.kltv.com/#!/newsDetail/25635541

Posted on: 2014/6/5 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
It's terrible, but this is one of the trade offs of lliving in a city. These things also happen everyday in every part of NYC for instance, all we can really do is put pressure on the gov for a stronger police presence. ESPECIALLY in the summer, we all know that's when things tend to get the most out of hand.

Posted on: 2014/6/5 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
You would think that the nation (western - 1st world, which is us) with the highest gun ownership in the WORLD would be the safest place in the WORLD, yet we have the highest gun related crimes in the WORLD ... it all doesn't make sense !

Posted on: 2014/6/5 15:38
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Not sure which neighborhoods... in DTJC we have had a murder, sexual assault and at least 2 reported attacks by youths... not sure if this is the "new norm"?

Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:

Because some neighborhoods are safer than others

Posted on: 2014/6/5 13:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/6/5 10:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
?The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.?

Posted on: 2014/6/5 8:17
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/6/5 3:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
A man was shot and (I heard) later died on Van Horne between Communipaw and Bramhall the other day-never made it to nj.com. Gang related supposedly.

Posted on: 2014/6/5 0:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/18 1:42
From Botswana
Group:
Registered Users
Aw Man, say it ain't so...

Posted on: 2014/6/4 23:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/6/4 22:41

5-year-old Jersey City boy shot..
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/6/4 22:37

[Advanced Search]