Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Jersey City restarting process to select ambulance provider
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Can someone explain to how pay to play doesn't preclude McCabe from getting in on this?

I thought it was anyone who wanted to do business with the city, not just real estate developers.

Posted on: 2014/6/19 17:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

murican wrote:
I really don't understand the reason for the RFPs for an ambulance provider for JC. I don't understand why if we have a current provider who provides service without complaints why we should change now.

I was discussing this with one of my health care providers and was told that McCabe is awful, they over-bill and steer patients to their affiliates, charges that have been aired here as well.

If this is such a well known situation, why is this whole charade being pursued, with an effect that may be detrimental to the health and economic well being of our residents?

What is the official reason for the need for this change?

Follow the money.

Posted on: 2014/6/19 16:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

murican wrote:
I really don't understand the reason for the RFPs for an ambulance provider for JC. I don't understand why if we have a current provider who provides service without complaints why we should change now.

I was discussing this with one of my health care providers and was told that McCabe is awful, they over-bill and steer patients to their affiliates, charges that have been aired here as well.

If this is such a well known situation, why is this whole charade being pursued, with an effect that may be detrimental to the health and economic well being of our residents?

McCabe and affiliates donated to Fulop's mayor campaign (and I bet he's thinking of his governor campaign as well).

Not sure of the official reason though.

Posted on: 2014/6/19 16:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
Opinion: CarePoint Health and Jersey City Medical Center should share ambulance contract

Economic considerations should never, under any circumstances, influence the decision as to where a patient is transported for emergency care. An independent monitor, as originally proposed by CarePoint, should also be required by the City to be put in place to ensure that federal regulations are followed and the best interests of the health and safety of the City's residents are protected. Quality and safety must always come first in dealing with an emergency. Responding to the scene rapidly and transporting patients quickly to an Emergency Room is paramount. The safety of the sick and elderly of our City must be our highest priority. Emergency Medical Services should be provided at no cost to the City.

I totally disagree. Patient choice MUST come first. Even in an emergency, and if that means signing a waiver in advance, so be it. Under no circumstances would I ever want to be taken to BMC or Christ ahead of JCMC. I'd rather risk the few extra minutes in the ambulance. CarePoint are simply banking on this lack of choice in emergencies to feed patients and profits into their hospitals, and that's pretty despicable.

And Emergency Medical Services shouldn't be provided at no cost to the City, at the expense of financially raping the patients. I hope that's part of the RFP consideration.

Posted on: 2014/6/19 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/6/19 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/6/18 23:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
In fact, since my doctor is affiliated with Christ Hospital, I have been kind of looking around for a physician affiliated with the MC. ...

If you are looking for a good internist, highly recommend Dr Flores. You get your parking validated at the MC, no problem making appointments, and he knows his stuff.

http://www.vitals.com/doctors/Dr_David_Flores.html

Thanks.

Posted on: 2014/5/31 16:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
These questions are still valid:
http://www.jerseycitypac.org/more_questions.html

Posted on: 2014/5/31 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
more regulation is required...obamacare can be improved. ambulances should be required to take patients to the low cost place

Posted on: 2014/5/31 14:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
wtf....20K bill...that is ridiculous

McCabe is simply part of the Care Point business plan to feed patients into their hospitals and rape them with 6-12 times the cost of other hospitals.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/17/bus ... es.html?pagewanted=2&_r=0

Still, many other large insurance companies, including Cigna, United Healthcare and Aetna, remain out of network at Bayonne and are paying the higher bills.

?Their model is to charge exorbitant rates, particularly for emergency room services, and if the insurance companies don?t pay them, they threaten to go after the member for the balance of billing,? said Carl King, head of national networks for Aetna, whose in-network contract was also ended by Bayonne in 2008.

Like Horizon, Aetna said its bills from Bayonne Medical soared, and it also filed a lawsuit in 2011. The suit was dismissed.

Aetna?s internal data showed that Bayonne Medical?s emergency room charges jumped again in 2012 and are running 6 to 12 times as high as those of surrounding hospitals. Last fall, Mr. Garipalli bought the designer Tory Burch?s oceanside home in Southampton for $11 million, according to public records.

After purchasing Bayonne Medical, the investor group went on a buying spree, acquiring Hoboken University Medical Center in 2011 and the bankrupt Christ Hospital in Jersey City last year.

?This hospital is clearly pursuing an out-of-network strategy with a profit motive in mind and taking advantage of members who seek emergency services at their facility,? Mr. King said.

Posted on: 2014/5/31 13:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
wtf....20K bill...that is ridiculous

Posted on: 2014/5/31 13:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
In fact, since my doctor is affiliated with Christ Hospital, I have been kind of looking around for a physician affiliated with the MC. ...

If you are looking for a good internist, highly recommend Dr Flores. You get your parking validated at the MC, no problem making appointments, and he knows his stuff.

http://www.vitals.com/doctors/Dr_David_Flores.html

Posted on: 2014/5/31 13:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
McCabe's ambulance rides are out of network for all insurance plans, with such rides typically costing between $1,500 - $2,000 a ride. They are associated with the CarePoint hospital network, who operates a hospital in Bayonne that the NYT named most expensive hospital in the country.

They also donated to Fulop's campaign and I'm sure he's thinking of campaign contributions for his governor run.

Under the prior RFP that Fulop accepted (and tried to rush through), all patients with life threatening conditions would be automatically diverted to CarePoint Hospitals. The only reason that deal got held up was because it was illegal.

This is round 2. I hope JCMC puts forth a competitive offer so JC residents will not be held hostage in ripoff CarePoint hospitals and stuck footing a $2,000 ambulance bill.

Here's the real kicker. I know both JCMC and BMC are out-of-network for my insurance provider AETNA. If I make a non-emergency visit to either hospital, I eat the full cost of the ride plus treatment. McCabe knows this is true for a huge percentage of patients, and is banking on it - most calls will be for emergency, and they get to decide hospital.

If I make an emergency visit to BMC, AETNA will cover, but even the simplest of treatment may eat my full year's co-pay and deductible in one visit - upwards of $10k.

I believe a deal with McCabe will end up financially raping a lot of JC residents.

I had heard that McCabe is so cock sure he is gettting this contract that 5 locations around Jersey City have been bought/leased to house ambulances. Also remember that McCabe sold 70% of the business to Care Point & we all know that Care Point's bottom line is money.

In fact, since my doctor is affiliated with Christ Hospital, I have been kind of looking around for a physician affiliated with the MC. I consider Christ Hospital nothing but a sub standard butcher shop. Years ago, they had a patient (high on PCP) on the same floor with patients that were ill &/or just out of surgery because "we don't have any room in the psych ward". I wound up in the emergency room in horrible pain (from kidney stones that were passing). These incompetent tools were making arrangements to have my kidney removed. (Thank God I had sense enough to crawl out of there) And finally, after being taken to their emergency room & being told by her physician to stabilize her then transport her to Bayonne, my mother was sent home with me only to die about 12 hours later. I have no love for that place.

Finally, to show you that Christ Hosp/Care Point is all about the money - my brother, who is 100% disabled & on Medicaid had to have his gallbladder removed. He was in at 9 & out by 5. He was hit with a $20k bill & that was after Medicaide paid.

Ladies & Gentlemen be warned.

Posted on: 2014/5/31 12:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I often see ambulance drivers with their sirens on...i hope they are not on just so that they can vdrive around vogueing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMDZyy ... ature=em-share_video_user

Posted on: 2014/5/31 11:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
McCabe's ambulance rides are out of network for all insurance plans, with such rides typically costing between $1,500 - $2,000 a ride. They are associated with the CarePoint hospital network, who operates a hospital in Bayonne that the NYT named most expensive hospital in the country.

They also donated to Fulop's campaign and I'm sure he's thinking of campaign contributions for his governor run.

Under the prior RFP that Fulop accepted (and tried to rush through), all patients with life threatening conditions would be automatically diverted to CarePoint Hospitals. The only reason that deal got held up was because it was illegal.

This is round 2. I hope JCMC puts forth a competitive offer so JC residents will not be held hostage in ripoff CarePoint hospitals and stuck footing a $2,000 ambulance bill.

Here's the real kicker. I know both JCMC and BMC are out-of-network for my insurance provider AETNA. If I make a non-emergency visit to either hospital, I eat the full cost of the ride plus treatment. McCabe knows this is true for a huge percentage of patients, and is banking on it - most calls will be for emergency, and they get to decide hospital.

If I make an emergency visit to BMC, AETNA will cover, but even the simplest of treatment may eat my full year's co-pay and deductible in one visit - upwards of $10k.

I believe a deal with McCabe will end up financially raping a lot of JC residents.

Posted on: 2014/5/31 11:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/29 18:51
Group:
Registered Users
Will we get a honest RFP from the City or a honest selection based on the proposals?

The OIG is investigating the legality of the contract and more specific, the violation of Anti-Kickback law.

THE REIMBURSEMENT

From the original RFP, section 5.21

5.21 Revenue Sharing Proposal
Respondents may opt to propose a revenue sharing program based on the population estimates and patient volumes supplied in Section 4. Revenue proposal should be calculated on an annual basis as:
$ Shared Amount per Transport = $ Reimbursement per Transport x % Remitted to City
Should a revenue sharing proposal be implemented, the City will expect payment on a quarterly basis except during the start up period of the first contract year.

This was a clear violation of Anti-Kickback law.

So the RFP was then changed in Addenda #4
5.21 Reimbursement for City's First Responder Services
Respondents may opt to offer to reimburse the City for any portion of the costs associated with first responder calls. Reimbursement should be calculated on an annual basis. The annual costs associated with the first responder calls are:
TOTAL ANNUAL 1ST RESPONDER COSTS - $2,663,245.91

This is what is currently being investigated as a violation of Anti-Kickback law.

------------

THE FIRST RESPONDER

Under section 1.8 Definitions "First Responder" the original RFP stated that "The Jersey City Fire Department will continue to provide First Responder Services during the term of the contract."

Addenda #4 also changed section 1.8
"The Jersey City Fire Department currently provides First Responder Services. Respondents must agree to provide First Responder Services or reimburse the City for First Responder Services during the term of the contract."

The CarePoint proposal chose to reimburse the City for First Responder Services. JCMC proposed to "provide a dedicated First Responder program and relieve the city from its responsibilities thereof." The cost to the city would be the same? $0 for "First Responder" services.

Posted on: 2014/5/31 4:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Quote:

Why did Fulop only say patients get a choice of hospitals in such a circumstance? Hmm, I wonder what Fulop is not telling us?

Because when it is of a life threatening nature, the ambulance must take the patient to the nearest facility.

When it is not, then it is the choice of the patient.

You keep saying that but you don't support it with anything. Why do you think it's true? The first article I posted wouldn't make sense if you were right.

Posted on: 2014/5/31 4:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Quote:

Why did Fulop only say patients get a choice of hospitals in such a circumstance? Hmm, I wonder what Fulop is not telling us?

Because when it is of a life threatening nature, the ambulance must take the patient to the nearest facility.

Wonder how much of JC that puts into Bayonne MC's orbit? Do I need to carry a card saying NEVER take me to BMC? And if they take me to BMC against my wishes, isn't that as illegal as say, forcing me to have a blood transfusion when I expressly forbid it?

Posted on: 2014/5/31 3:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2014/5/31 3:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
As someone who in the last six months was faced twice with colleagues/neighbors with medical emergencies and had to use JCMC ambulances (once during a blizzard/icestorm), I was amazed by their professionalism, quality care, and ability to transport us to our hospital of choice.

My feeling is if it ain't broke. leave it alone.

As a long time user of Christ Hospital, I am not too happy with their policies and services under Carepoint's administration.

My $.02

Will our mayor and council members listen to citizen input?

Posted on: 2014/5/31 2:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
JPhurst, unfortunately you are mistaken. I was careful to phrase my comment the way I did.

First, this exact issue is what much of the controversy is over.

"Ambulance carriers are simply a conduit to transport patients from point A to point B. Why this issue has ignited such a firestorm in Jersey City is not so much which ambulance service provides the best service (even though there?s dispute there as well), but more so which hospital ends up being the point B that actually admits those patients."

http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... e-of-show-me-the-money-2/

Here is a quote from Fulop himself, trumpeting McCabe's accepted bid.

?The winning ambulance provider will do both ? by reimbursing the city its costs to provide first responder services and by offering patients the option to choose the hospital they want to be transported to when their issue is of a non-life threatening nature.?

http://hudsonreporter.com/view/full_s ... h-from-JCMC-to-CarePoint-

Now do you think you will be calling an ambulance for an issue of a "non-life threatening nature?" What percentage of the time could this account for? Why did Fulop only say patients get a choice of hospitals in such a circumstance? Hmm, I wonder what Fulop is not telling us?

Posted on: 2014/5/30 21:59

Edited by JCMan8 on 2014/5/30 22:18:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

An ambulance provider has to take the patient to the hospital of their choice, unless it is an absolute emergency in which case they have to take the patient to the closest hospital.

There is no provision in the bid that required "automatic diversion to CarePoint Hospitals." And no ambulance provider is allowed to do that.

Posted on: 2014/5/30 21:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/30 21:15

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/27 1:30
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Let the games begin!

Posted on: 2014/5/30 21:02

Jersey City restarting process to select ambulance provider
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City restarting process to select ambulance provider

By Terrence T. McDonald
The Jersey Journal

Jersey City is hitting reset on the controversial process of awarding its ambulance contract, The Jersey Journal has learned.

The news comes five months after the city set in motion a plan to award the ambulance contract to hospital chain CarePoint Health and McCabe Ambulance over the Jersey City Medical Center. The switch has been on hold since December as federal officials review the deal.

Senior hospital management has been notified that the city will issue a new request for proposal (RFP), city spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill confirmed.

"The RFP is similar to last time and provides for flexibility," Morrill said in an email, adding that the RFP hasn't been finalized yet.

READ MORE

Posted on: 2014/5/30 20:08

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017