Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
83 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 83

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: A carousel in Liberty State Park wuld be nice
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Why take the jewel of a space and turn it into an amusement park? If you want funnel cakes, cotton candy, and more trash feel free to go to Six Flags or something. Why cheapen the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and the rail terminal building with a neon monstrosity?

I like the idea of something akin to the London Eye, because an unobstructed 360-degree view from high atop the western bank of the Hudson would be truly monumental, and it would almost certainly benefit northern New Jersey tourism, but I do have mixed feelings about the concept for exactly the reasons you mentioned.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 21:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
(anyone remember this ingenious idea?)

LIBERTY STATE PARK'S WATERPARK

Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 2:39:07 PM by Calpernia

The NJDEP Public Meeting on January 27, 2001 at Liberty State Park was the culmination of the battle against Mayor Bret Schundler's and the park's Development Corporation's proposal for a commercial, privatized Waterpark at Liberty State Park. The vast majority of over 600 people at the public meeting (and of the thousands of communications to Trenton) opposed the Waterpark. Many elected officials and mayoral candidates opposed the Waterpark.

It wasn't a good day for Bret, not for a man running for Governor. Though he had retreated from Waterpark support only 3 days before the public meeting because of the writing on the wall (the 37 letters to the editor), he was vehemently booed by the crowd for his double-talk and distortions about his position on the plans.

More?..

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/1410347/posts

Posted on: 2014/5/29 21:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Thinking out loud... I do like the idea of a Ferris wheel of record-breaking size or a tethered helium balloon with a large observation platform, but open green spaces and open skies are so rare that we should probably leave the park alone. And I?m pretty sure they would also have to serve as enormous billboards for the commercial advertising that would be needed to pay for them.

The giant ferris wheel proposed for Staten Island would really make a lot more sense for Jersey City, though I guess it would have to go in LSP.

Why take the jewel of a space and turn it into an amusement park? If you want funnel cakes, cotton candy, and more trash feel free to go to Six Flags or something. Why cheapen the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and the rail terminal building with a neon monstrosity?

Didn't say it should go there. There's also all that unused space between LSC and the developed part of LSP that, let's be realistic, is never going to be turned into parkland.

It's unused because they haven't been able to afford to remediate the toxic waste. Look at how much it's cost to make Berry Lane park soil safe in today's dollars, and that's a much smaller area.

But again-do we want an amusement park in the area? No. Let's keep it to passive recreation, not turn it over to a for-profit carney group.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 20:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Thinking out loud... I do like the idea of a Ferris wheel of record-breaking size or a tethered helium balloon with a large observation platform, but open green spaces and open skies are so rare that we should probably leave the park alone. And I?m pretty sure they would also have to serve as enormous billboards for the commercial advertising that would be needed to pay for them.

The giant ferris wheel proposed for Staten Island would really make a lot more sense for Jersey City, though I guess it would have to go in LSP.

Didn't say it should go there. There's also all that unused space between LSC and the developed part of LSP that, let's be realistic, is never going to be turned into parkland.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 20:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

+1. The Friends of Liberty State Park have always promoted the mantra "Free and Green." Although I am not universally opposed to allowing some commercial concessions in the park, I see very little value in adding Playland Lite.

The park has playground space, trails, the stunning waterfront, the fitness course, the interpretive center, picnic space, the Liberty Science Center, and it can also be used for large scale events when necessary. We are very fortunate to have this space in our, or as our, backyard.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 18:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:

Posted on: 2014/5/29 18:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:

Posted on: 2014/5/29 17:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Newport Green is an incredible asset. There are always people there. And its existence was repeatedly publicized by the Jersey Journal.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Here you go?.I think the city should force the owners of the Journal Square scab lot to buy the AP carousel and erect it on their empty ugly lot until they are ready to build. The lot that Healy promised would be developed for the last 10 years (right before each election). Does anyone know what is going on with the lawsuit forcing the owners to build or sell? PS ? this is not the KRE JS2 3 tower project lot next to PATH.

Asbury Park's Palace carousel for sale on eBay

May 10, 2014
Written by
Jean Mikle

Available for sale on eBay: An 1888 Charles Looff carousel, complete with 72 (replacement) fiberglass animals. Being sold as is. Buyer must pick up at an undisclosed location in New Jersey. Price: $250,000.

For those who love Asbury Park history, the eBay advertisement brings back a flood of fond memories, of warm summer nights just off the boardwalk, with the smell of cotton candy in the air and a chance to ride the carousel and grab a brass ring, which entitled the bearer to a free spin on the merry-go-round. The spinning carousel, with its prancing horses and menagerie of more exotic animals, including giraffes, camels, goats and deer, was the centerpiece of the old Palace Amusements for more than 100 years. Three band organs played music to lure customers to come inside.

Full APP piece?

http://archive.app.com/article/201405 ... Palace-carousel-sale-eBay

Posted on: 2014/5/29 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:
There's a carousel in Newport?

It was very popular last year, it brought in lots of parents with young kids. It has been renovated and set up now for the summer season.

I guess this is not well publicized perhaps better communication with the other wards of the city can bring in more pedestrian traffic and less cars. If you do not use it, you lose it.

Just because you didn't know about it doesn't mean it wasn't well publicized. There were multiple articles about the opening of the park, there was a ribbon cutting ceremony and park is crowded all the time.

I wouldn't think too many people would make the trip from other wards all the way to the park just to ride on a small carousel (that you do have to pay for), but maybe they would.

Anyway, there is no danger of it being lost for lack of use.

There were many people bringing their children from other wards. Many came in cars, the metered parking spaces were at a premium, This is the best way to bring several small children and keep them under control. They didn't have a issue paying the small fee for their children to ride the carousel.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 14:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Strict no dogs allowed policy, thankfully. No worries about dog doo in the beach area! Uniformed security isn't shy to keep people following Newport Green rules and regulations. As a result, the place is very clean and neat.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 14:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:

It was very popular last year, it brought in lots of parents with young kids. It has been renovated and set up now for the summer season.

I guess this is not well publicized perhaps better communication with the other wards of the city can bring in more pedestrian traffic and less cars. If you do not use it, you lose it.

Just because you didn't know about it doesn't mean it wasn't well publicized. There were multiple articles about the opening of the park, there was a ribbon cutting ceremony and park is crowded all the time.

I wouldn't think too many people would make the trip from other wards all the way to the park just to ride on a small carousel (that you do have to pay for), but maybe they would.

Anyway, there is no danger of it being lost for lack of use.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 13:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:

Posted on: 2014/5/29 13:10
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
I have noticed several in NYC and was thinking that one would be nice in LSP. They could get rod of that 911 memorial monstrosity if space is an issue; i'd donate money or even help tear it down

Ouch. I knew Frederic Schwartz, who was a very creative and talented man - sad when he died, he was the architect of a number of public 'spaces' that were elegant and engaging (his best know work is the Staten Island Ferry Terminal in Manhattan).

The southern-most end is over-run by picnicers, I would vote for there. It would give a reason to bike all the way down there! It's been years since I snagged a brass ring.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 2:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Why not in Berry lane park or Lincoln park? Not everything has to be downtown.

I believe it is privately funded by the LeFrak group, not city money.

Posted on: 2014/5/28 23:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Why not in Berry lane park or Lincoln park? Not everything has to be downtown.

Posted on: 2014/5/28 23:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
There is one at Newport and it hasn't caused any problems. What's the big deal?

The outdoor ping pong table is nice, bring paddles and a ball. Get there early on a weekend if you want a chair on the beach, they fill up fast.

Posted on: 2014/5/28 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

Posted on: 2014/5/28 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.njplaygrounds.com/7219/newport-green-jersey-city-nj/

There is a Newport Green Facebook page with a video of the carousel, btw.

When the guards are patrolling they can be strict about enforcing the rules; no bikes or strollers in the beach area, for one.

Posted on: 2014/5/28 20:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

You haven't noticed the stream of ambulances ferrying the broken bodies of children back to the hospital ;) It's in Newport Green, over by Target.

Posted on: 2014/5/28 20:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

Posted on: 2014/5/28 20:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/28 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

Likewise the carousel in Brooklyn Bridge Park has been a great addition to the park. However, knowing the audience here, a cure for cancer would elicit negative responses and complaints.

Posted on: 2014/5/28 20:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/28 17:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, I dunno. Carousels are nice, but I don't think it really suits Liberty State Park. We need more open space, not more stuff.

Posted on: 2014/5/28 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well, it would be a job creator for a) whoever ends up with the JC emergency services contract and b) personal injury lawyers.

Posted on: 2014/5/28 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
I have noticed several in NYC and was thinking that one would be nice in LSP. They could get rod of that 911 memorial monstrosity if space is an issue; i'd donate money or even help tear it down

How about neither. If anything a monument towards an oppressed group that has been liberated.

Posted on: 2014/5/28 12:50
Get on your bikes and ride !

A carousel in Liberty State Park wuld be nice
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/28 12:48

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017