Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
65 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 65

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 »

Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Quote:
I do believe the FOLs know the theater better than anyone at this point....

Why?

Again, they haven't shown the ability to fund-raise, their programming skills are decidedly unimpressive, and they think they can sue their way into control of the theater. Nothing about their recent track record makes me say "yeah, those guys know how to make the most out of a 3000 seat theater."

This is not to detract from their efforts to save the theater in the first place. I just don't see any evidence that they are the ones to make the most of it.

I mean in terms of the restoration efforts. They literally know the place inside and out. I think their talent lies in historical preservation. They have basically worked miracles. It seems inefficient to bring in a new group to learn from scratch when there is already an experienced group who probably just need better funding/staffing/etc.

It is not reasonable for 2 full time staffers to serve as managers of a multi-million dollar restoration AND run a fully operational theater. I do think the city has held up the restoration process, not them.

But I also think it was short sighted of them to focus primarily on restoration at the detriment of their community engagement. It has led to ambiguity and even malice towards them because people don't see what they do all day and why they're getting paid to do it. Stuff like movies not being advertised until a week before. Lack of visibility has hurt them and led to the news pieces that minimize or downplay their efforts.

It's telling that they do not have a dedicated communications director, program manager, etc. (or even a team of 2-3 volunteers each fulfilling part of these roles). And that until the last few weeks, their facebook page was sporadically updated as was their website. I have very rarely seen flyers or posters for any Loews events downtown (stagefest being one exception).

Posted on: 2014/5/2 15:05

Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
While I don't agree with everthing FOL puts forth or the way they have conducted themselves in all aspects of this process, this is absolutely spot on with the issue many of us live events professionals have been trying to get the Mayor to consider as written out below.

I have to ask, which arts professionals have been lobbying Fulop, and in which contexts? What are they pushing? What are their credentials?

I also don't see anything wrong with using an RFP. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's fairly routine when it comes to cities that want to put in a new PAC. Do we really need to do a collective Google search? ;)

Quote:
I hope you all are ready to buy $50-$80 show tickets on a very frequent basis to keep these doors open, cuz that's all that will get produced.

Yeah, that's kind of how it works, unless you want it to just be a movie theater.

Keep in mind it's a huge theater -- 3000 seats. If you don't do big draws, the place will be empty and it's going to look like crap. Plus, it will take millions to renovate, and that will not be easy to recoup.

Quote:
The most successful art centers around the country are typically founded by non-profits that grew with the venue and took careful consideration as to how the venue expanded with its community?s needs....

That's not really an option in this case; the theater already exists, and FOL certainly didn't "grow the venue." There are also lots of for-profit theaters that still do well; the Beacon comes to mind.

Quote:
For the Loew?s, the RFP process would result in a for-profit company taking control, but that is not the way to maintain and grow community arts and other varied programming.

Neither is handing over control of the theater to a group of well-meaning amateurs who lack fundraising, programming and organizational skills.

Quote:
FOL won?t participate in a process that?s not the best for the FOL.

FTFY ;)

Sorry to be cynical, but I am really not impressed by their behavior in the past few months. Their own statements reveal that they want to run the theater, they feel entitled to run the theater, and are not interested in demonstrating their fitness to do so.

Quote:
OK so my next question then is, does the RFP require the bids come from for-profit organizations?

Nope.

Quote:
I do believe the FOLs know the theater better than anyone at this point....

Why?

Again, they haven't shown the ability to fund-raise, their programming skills are decidedly unimpressive, and they think they can sue their way into control of the theater. Nothing about their recent track record makes me say "yeah, those guys know how to make the most out of a 3000 seat theater."

This is not to detract from their efforts to save the theater in the first place. I just don't see any evidence that they are the ones to make the most of it.

Posted on: 2014/5/2 2:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
I am still not clear why they didn't submit an RFP themselves or with another group...

My guess is: They're a group of amateur preservationists who don't know anything about running a theater, don't have connections with arts organizations, and believe that their role in saving the theater entitles them to run it.

Posted on: 2014/5/2 1:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
What bothers me about the friends of the loews is the salary they pay themselves. Egan and friends did a great job saving the theatre from destruction and he/they deserve recognition but if you want to call yourself a volunteer...should you be receiving compensation? I'm pretty sure that by definition, volunteers don't receive a salary.

what specifically bothers me about the fol during this process is thirty stubbornness. Entrepreneurs routinely handover the companies they started to managers that know how to take the business to the next level. If the friends of the loews really want to see the loews fully restored and operating, their started goal, then it's time to recognize that it's time for a handoff. Personally I'd love to see mana/njpac or the other non-profit win out.

Posted on: 2014/5/2 1:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
While I don't agree with everthing FOL puts forth or the way they have conducted themselves in all aspects of this process, this is absolutely spot on with the issue many of us live events professionals have been trying to get the Mayor to consider as written out below. I'm sorry, but Fulop is misguided and egotistical on this whole process. And in he won't listen to anyone else on it, especially not to concerned resident live events professionals with no monetary horse in the race, and who should be the very people he should listen to and trust so that we all don't get taken for a Live Nation swindle on this rare gem of an asset. All he sees is dollar signs. We've tried, and clearly independently of the FOL. I hope you all are ready to buy $50-$80 show tickets on a very frequent basis to keep these doors open, cuz that's all that will get produced.

While on paper the amount of community programming looks good, there are no stipulations about how they are scheduled and spread throughout the year. So I can see FOL and community groups being relegated to the undesirable/non profitable time slots...ie., Wednesday afternoons, Weekends in July and Aug., etc. A for-profit entity which most of these applicants are, will not ever give up a potentially profitable night, like the weekends when most local based groups have the volunteers free to produce event and when the audience can actually attend. Also, no mention of how much a professional operator will CHARGE these groups to produce there, cuz believe me - there will be a substantial charge. They dont' open the doors for free ever.

Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Well, ask and ye shall receive! From the Loew's facebook:

"Q: ?Why doesn?t Friends of the Loew?s just respond to the Request for Proposal that the Mayor called for??

A: The RFP process is not the best way to build an arts center to serve our community and region. The most successful art centers around the country are typically founded by non-profits that grew with the venue and took careful consideration as to how the venue expanded with its community?s needs. The RFP process is how governments solicit bids for supplies and routine services, not develop a unique resource such as an arts center. It?s true that some cities that weren?t fortunate to have a non-profit in the picture tried the RFP route, often with mixed results that led to turn-over in theatre management and inconsistent programming.

For the Loew?s, the RFP process would result in a for-profit company taking control, but that is not the way to maintain and grow community arts and other varied programming. It?s also not the best way to safeguard the well-being and future of one of our most iconic landmark. Remember, it was for-profit management that led to the Loew?s decline and closing in the first place.

FOL won?t participate in a process that?s not the best for the Loew?s. And the RFP process is just not necessary for the Loew?s. FOL is in the picture and has proven both our dedication and ability. We?ve demonstrated that we can work with major promoters at the same time that we are civically minded and care about how the Loew?s serves it community and the impact it has on nurturing community relationships. We are committed to the plan to move forward with the Loew?s that is clearly outlined in our lease dating back to 2004."

OK so my next question then is, does the RFP require the bids come from for-profit organizations? The statement says the RFP "would result in a for-profit company taking control" - so why not form Friends of the Loews LLC as the for-profit arm of their organization?

I do believe the FOLs know the theater better than anyone at this point, and conceivably could then propose the most informed RFP. I stick by my original suggestion that Fulop should have hired 2-3 full time staffers to work on things like grant writing, fund raising, project management of upgrades, and programming at Loews and give them a fixed amount of time, like a year, to meet certain benchmarks. Of course this would need to be paired with the city not holding up the funding for projects as they apparently have done.

Posted on: 2014/5/1 23:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well, ask and ye shall receive! From the Loew's facebook:

"Q: ?Why doesn?t Friends of the Loew?s just respond to the Request for Proposal that the Mayor called for??

A: The RFP process is not the best way to build an arts center to serve our community and region. The most successful art centers around the country are typically founded by non-profits that grew with the venue and took careful consideration as to how the venue expanded with its community?s needs. The RFP process is how governments solicit bids for supplies and routine services, not develop a unique resource such as an arts center. It?s true that some cities that weren?t fortunate to have a non-profit in the picture tried the RFP route, often with mixed results that led to turn-over in theatre management and inconsistent programming.

For the Loew?s, the RFP process would result in a for-profit company taking control, but that is not the way to maintain and grow community arts and other varied programming. It?s also not the best way to safeguard the well-being and future of one of our most iconic landmark. Remember, it was for-profit management that led to the Loew?s decline and closing in the first place.

FOL won?t participate in a process that?s not the best for the Loew?s. And the RFP process is just not necessary for the Loew?s. FOL is in the picture and has proven both our dedication and ability. We?ve demonstrated that we can work with major promoters at the same time that we are civically minded and care about how the Loew?s serves it community and the impact it has on nurturing community relationships. We are committed to the plan to move forward with the Loew?s that is clearly outlined in our lease dating back to 2004."

OK so my next question then is, does the RFP require the bids come from for-profit organizations? The statement says the RFP "would result in a for-profit company taking control" - so why not form Friends of the Loews LLC as the for-profit arm of their organization?

I do believe the FOLs know the theater better than anyone at this point, and conceivably could then propose the most informed RFP. I stick by my original suggestion that Fulop should have hired 2-3 full time staffers to work on things like grant writing, fund raising, project management of upgrades, and programming at Loews and give them a fixed amount of time, like a year, to meet certain benchmarks. Of course this would need to be paired with the city not holding up the funding for projects as they apparently have done.

Posted on: 2014/5/1 22:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, very different tone coming from FOL vs. Fulop. If you follow the FOL facebook they have basically launched a PR campaign to raise awareness of the scope of the renovations they've done (good) but also criticize the City's RFP process (maybe ill advised). I am still not clear why they didn't submit an RFP themselves or with another group - do they not have relationships with groups like Mana, NJCU, or other non-profits like Art House Productions to submit something together? They have voiced many of their objections to their portrayal in the media, etc., but I'm still not clear what about the actual process they object to.

Posted on: 2014/5/1 21:01

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 16:51
Group:
Registered Users
the RFP has some pretty positive requirements / stipulations for community events and events sponsored/produced by the FOL:

1) At least thirty (30) community/local performances/events (sponsored and/or produced by local community groups or other City residents), which include but are not limited to school/youth programs, programs for senior citizens, performances from local artists, lectures or other academic programs, or cultural celebrations

2) At least twenty (20) musical performances by nationally recognized artists

3) At least ten (10) theatrical or other stage performances

4) At least ten (10) comedy performances

5) At least twenty (20) other performances/events (may include event types listed above)

6) Allowance for twenty (20) events to be sponsored and produced privately by the Friends of the Loew?s Inc. community group

7) Allowance for private event booking only during times in which the facility is not reserved for any of the types of events listed above

Posted on: 2014/5/1 20:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
Twice the article claims Friends of the Loews only screen "silent movies" which shows a misunderstanding of what the Friends do.

Posted on: 2014/5/1 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Press release today on the Loews:

JERSEY CITY ? Mayor Steven M. Fulop and the Jersey City Redevelopment Agency today announced that a total of four bids were received for the restoration and management of the historic Loew?s Jersey Theatre in Journal Square.

The respondents included:

AEG Live/Mana Fine Arts/NJCU
Ace Theatrical group/ NJPAC/ NJCU
Catch Holdings LLC
Live Nation/Jones Lang LaSalle

Live Nation and AEG are the two largest music venue management companies in the world, ACE Theatrical Group is currently designated by the City of New York restoring the Loew?s Kings Theatre in Brooklyn and is a nationally-renowned theatrical management and development firm, while NJ Performance Arts Center in Newark, Mana Fine Arts in Jersey City, and NJCU in Jersey City have all responded for the community programming component of the RFP. Each respondent provided in addition 20 designated performance days to be administered by the Friends of the Loew?s in Jersey City

Additionally, the Mayor and the JCRA announced the formation of an RFP Review Committee that includes members of the community to analyze the proposals.

?The RFP process is proceeding exactly as we had hoped with world renowned companies responding while partnering with terrific community organizations to make sure that Jersey City residents have a top notch facility for everyone.? said Mayor Fulop. ?The restoration of the Loew?s Theatre is one of the most important projects we are undertaking as an administration, as it is both central to the revitalization of Journal Square and the expansion of our cultural arts community.?

The renovations to the Jersey City Loew?s will restore the aesthetic and historic appeal while also allowing the maximum operating capacity and acceptable level of safety for all patrons.

First opened in 1929, the Loew?s seats 3,021 and features an ornate lobby. In 1986, the theatre was closed and sold to a developer who planned to demolish the building, however local preservationists led by the Friends of the Loews ultimately saved the theatre, which is listed on the National Historic Register. The City of Jersey City purchased the Loew?s Theatre in 1993 and the Friends of the Loew?s was granted the task of restoring the theater. Currently, the Friends of the Loew?s shows a few dozen events annually which includes mostly silent film screenings and other private events.

Earlier this year, the JCRA announced a public, fair and open solicitation of proposals for companies for the management and restoration of the facility, with RFP submissions being due April 9, 2014. The JCRA and the administration have formed a committee that will represent the interests of the City and the community.

The seven-member committee includes two JCRA representatives, two city officials, and three community members. The committee members are: Chris Fiore, Acting Director of the Jersey City Redevelopment Agency, Diane Coleman, Ward F Councilwoman and JCRA Board Member, Brian Platt, Policy Analyst to the Mayor, Bob Sommer, Senior Advisor to the Mayor and former Prudential Center executive, Mike McNamara, President of Fourth Street Arts, Heidi Turko, a teaching artist in the Jersey City Public Schools, and Romana Jaroff, a Jersey City resident and Senior Vice President with IMG Artists.

?We are excited to advance this project and are committed to an open and transparent process that engages the community,? said Mayor Fulop. ?The committee we have comprised includes community stakeholders with both an understanding of Jersey City and the arts, culture and entertainment industry.?

The committee will begin reviewing the paper proposals this week and will then arrange for all qualified respondents to provide an in-person presentation and question and answer session in order to gather all necessary information from each qualified respondent. The committee hopes to complete the analysis of all proposals and submit a recommendation to the JCRA Board by the end of May.

The City of Jersey City?s is aligned with the mission of the Friends of the Loew?s which is to complete a full historic restoration of the facility and return the energy, excitement, and glory to the Theatre and Journal Square. The City will maintain ownership of the theatre, but lease the facility and the respondent designated as the redeveloper for the facility would complete the full historic restoration.

The RFP calls for the expansion of the current community programming lineup to include a higher volume and greater diversity of programming such as national and international touring music, theater, comedy, dance, and other stage performances.

?We hope to maintain a relationship with the Friends of the Loew?s so they can continue the community programming they have provided, such as the silent film screenings and local community performances,? said Mayor Fulop. ?We commend the Friends of the Loews for the work they have done to date to save the theatre from imminent demolition and for their countless volunteer hours, recognizing their work for the facility and the community.?

Posted on: 2014/5/1 17:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/4/30 23:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
I think the leadership of the FOL should have a say in the future of Loews. They saved it when no one else wanted it and now the city wants to bid out the contract? Doesn't seem fair.

Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
This article filled in a lot of gaps in the story:

http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... e-faces-uncertain-future/

Does anyone know why the FOL has not submitted a plan under the RFP?

Posted on: 2014/3/28 15:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This article filled in a lot of gaps in the story:

http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... e-faces-uncertain-future/

Does anyone know why the FOL has not submitted a plan under the RFP?

Posted on: 2014/3/28 15:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Meanwhile in Philly....

http://articles.philly.com/2014-03-16 ... r-howard-haas-live-nation

I understand that Live Nation has expressed interest in the Loews.

To the extent Jersey City goes with another operator for the theater, it is important that any contract ensures that the operator keeps the interior of the theater intact.

Posted on: 2014/3/18 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City can continue seeking new management for Loew's as lawsuit proceeds, judge rules

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
on March 10, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Jersey City won an initial victory in its court battle with the Friends of the Loew?s, the nonprofit that operates the city-owned Landmark Loew?s Jersey Theatre, when a Hudson County judge today denied the nonprofit?s bid to have the city immediately restrained from moving on with its attempt to find a new management team to run the former movie palace.

JJ piece...

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... e_rules.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2014/3/11 11:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Building a management staff structure is an option that this RFP doesn't allow for. Instead they seek to have an already constructed group come in. This is related to the point I made earlier about the RFP's model of a "professional management company" not really allowing or even requiring for new job creation within the walls of the Loews.

Posted on: 2014/3/10 14:19

Re: Loew's Jersey Theatre Project. An Insider's View.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
Volunteers are great but they tend to start to believe that their opinions outweigh the opinions of the people managing them by virtue of the fact that their hearts are in the right place and they work for free.

When volunteers feel they are not being taken seriously as contenders for management, they very often factionalize and add a negative political facet to the volunteer experience, which is always disruptive and divisive and wastes volunteer energy.

This is a good point. The response from FOL's is as if the city had seized property they owned via eminent domain. But the city owns the property and is their landlord and has therefore had a controlling interest all along, they just haven't asserted it until now.

I was also remembering that Healy pledged to entirely defund the Loew's if he was reelected and it was Fulop who advocated to continue funding. Either way, the writing was on the wall re: changes to Loews and I'm surprised that they didn't strategize for different contingencies (their responses read as very defensive to me, not planned out in advance).

I also would like to see what the FOL's alternative plan is for the theater, other than hiring a management company. "Come to me with solutions, not problems" is the line that comes to mind.

Posted on: 2014/3/9 16:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
I wanted to put in my two cents on an issue new user JC1948 raised concerning volunteerism. I have the greatest respect for volunteers and I truly believe that there is very little worthwhile in our culture that can happen unless volunteers are making it happen. That said I don?t share the view JC1948 seams to be espousing that volunteers can be self governing or that they necessarily can assume a roll in management on projects they volunteer on. Volunteers are great but they tend to start to believe that their opinions outweigh the opinions of the people managing them by virtue of the fact that their hearts are in the right place and they work for free. On the surface this seams a fair and reasonable opinion but in actual practice you can?t have a self appointed body of part time enthusiasts step in and make decisions on any important project they take in interest in. Volunteers tend to have an arc in which they have great enthusiasm and attendance at the start of their involvement but they peak early and burn out fast. They are nearly always armatures with little or no experience in the field when they begin to volunteer, they always require training and guidance. At some point they may begin to consider themselves experts at what they are doing, but they tend to put that label on themselves before they are really ready. There ARE volunteers who become deeply engrossed in a project and these people often do step into management after they show they are capable. But there is not and there should not be any AUTOMATIC mechanism to allow volunteers to become managers simply by showing up enough times. When volunteers feel they are not being taken seriously as contenders for management, they very often factionalize and add a negative political facet to the volunteer experience, which is always disruptive and divisive and wastes volunteer energy. And I think we see a little bit of this in JC1948?s post. I?m worried what I have written will be misunderstood so I will add again that I think it was the Volunteers who saved the Loews and I would like to see the Volunteers play a roll in the future of the Loews. I just know from many years of experience with volunteering (on the volunteer side and on the managing side) that volunteers NEED someone in charge directing their efforts, and should NOT be allowed to apply their energy without having that energy being contained and focused by management.

Posted on: 2014/3/9 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
I don't know how I feel about this lawsuit. Nor do I want to insert myself in it with an opinion.

I know how I feel: It sucks, it's petty, it's vengeful, it's BS.

Most of all, it seems amateurish and unprofessional. They should have seen a requirement for real management coming a mile away, developed a real organization with experienced professionals, and prepared a real proposal for managing the theater. Instead, they act like they are entitled to run the place. Screw that.

I also expect the city will remove the offer of allowing FOL to program 20 events a year. Hopefully, that will go to some other local arts organization.

Quote:
if it at least gets this whole project a little more time and more willingness from the Mayor for a more thoughtful, integrated, strategic approach, that will be a win for the citizens as a whole.

I do think the submission period for the RFP's should be longer, but:
a) I don't think this lawsuit will extend the deadline
b) that clearly is not the goal of the lawsuit, which basically is looking for cash
c) the possible-but-unlikely-consequences don't justify the means

So while I'd like a little more time, I can't agree with your position here.

Posted on: 2014/3/9 14:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
why aren't there any metro area nonprofit theaters that would be interested in expanding their empires? What are the situations of NJPAC or BAM?

Non-profits are having a tough time right now.

Governments are cutting back funding, and private donations can't keep up. I don't know the theater world very well, but I do know that City Opera collapsed in part due to an inability to raise funds.

That said, we don't know who is applying, so it's premature to assume that LiveNation already has a lock on a contract. The RFP does not specify that it's a non-profit, so any organization in the area that has been looking for space can submit a proposal.

Posted on: 2014/3/9 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jctheatre wrote:
Where's YOUR name on your comments?

Really? 1st post and that's as constructive as you can be? But I guess you're just sock puppet anyway.

Posted on: 2014/3/9 3:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/8 22:26
Group:
Registered Users
Where's YOUR name on your comments?

Posted on: 2014/3/8 22:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Here's a question for the industry insiders: Since the FOL model as it's been has failed (for whatever reasons) and getting a completely new 501c(3) off the ground to make a serious proposal is quite a steep road, why aren't there any metro area nonprofit theaters that would be interested in expanding their empires? What are the situations of NJPAC or BAM? Are there others? This would clearly be a great opportunity for the right .org to expand their reach and platform. And they have all the senior staff in place for fundraising and management. Are they themselves struggling?

I don't know who's applying, and there's no language preventing another non-profit performing arts center from putting in their proposal and billing themselves as a "professional management company". I'd be interested in seeing what a current non-profit would propose. And that might be a great compromise/ direction to go, if in fact those sorts of groups are applying. This is why I want to see the Mayor acknowledge that he needs to start including a few non-RFP affiliated live events professionals to his advisory and RFP review group on this, at the very least. To ensure we get the very best model for both the short and long-term: for the JSQ revitalization, for profile raising purposes and most of all, for job-creation WITHIN the Loews, and for what the over-arching diverse community needs and wants.

From the financials outlined in the RFP, this will takes upwards of $25 million to renovate it alone. And we absolutely acknowledge this is no small chunk of change. But it also states the applicants should outline the type and amount of financial investment that they want the city to put in towards the renovations. Obviously, the Mayor wants to put in as little $ as possible, but the city should definitely be prepared to pony up some of this cash if they want to maintain ownership of the property (RFP says offers to out-right buy the property are off the table).

They also state the respondents should outline the profit structure/sharing that the city gets on the bookings once its up and running. Yet the administration has not said a peep about how they plan to allocate this revenue. Will 100% just go back into the coffers, or can we the citizens push for a more strategic earmarking of these funds (ie., a % towards cultural affairs to be used to help co-market smaller arts/culture groups city-wide, a % towards a JSQ rehabilitation fund, a % to go towards arts education or even a % to go to the FOL for their screening events and to community groups who wish to put on programming at the Loews)?

None of the professionals I've talked to - myself included - want the status quo, and we're all pro-redevelopment and expanded programming at the Loews. But we want it done right, and that starts with dialogue which thus far we've been denied. A 30+ year lease is no joke, and no small contract to rush into.

I don't know how I feel about this lawsuit. Nor do I want to insert myself in it with an opinion. But if it at least gets this whole project a little more time and more willingness from the Mayor for a more thoughtful, integrated, strategic approach, that will be a win for the citizens as a whole.

Posted on: 2014/3/8 19:11

Edited by OneSkirt on 2014/3/8 19:26:56
Edited by OneSkirt on 2014/3/8 19:27:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Here's a question for the industry insiders: Since the FOL model as it's been has failed (for whatever reasons) and getting a completely new 501c(3) off the ground to make a serious proposal is quite a steep road, why aren't there any metro area nonprofit theaters that would be interested in expanding their empires? What are the situations of NJPAC or BAM? Are there others? This would clearly be a great opportunity for the right .org to expand their reach and platform. And they have all the senior staff in place for fundraising and management. Are they themselves struggling?

Posted on: 2014/3/8 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Correct, this is the very type of model I am suggesting be explored. Its a hybrid wherein professionals with industry specific experience are hired (normally by a board) and yet partnerships can be forged with larger entities (like a Live Nation) to book some of the shows. This gives a great balance between raising the quality of shows, and keeping community programming operating or even expanding.

I should note I have zero affiliation with FOL, nor do I feel they should solely run the place. And the Mayor has hardly been transparent on this. He has refused meetings with concerned residents who are professionals in this field, yet who have no financial stake in the RFP outcome. He also seems to have no people from these industries advising him on the pros and cons of various operational models. This is troubling. You would hardly hire an accounting firm for the city without seeking advice from those in the industry or who have worked with accounting firms as partners or employers, for a hypothetical example.

The United Palace Theatre (which is a sister Loews theatre of the 8 Wonder Theatres) is a beautiful example of what I'd like to see done with our Loews. They host national music acts (Bob Dylan, lots of indie acts, etc.) in partnership with for-profit promoters, yet they are also a community focussed performing arts & cultural center with movie screenings, community based programming, performing arts AND education programs (our Loew's RFP has zero concession for education programs, btw). Its really thte best of both worlds. IMHO.

Quote:

JC1948 wrote:
You're right - the "Loew's Board" is actually the FOL Board of Trustees.
And, yes, a non-profit organization could certainly operate
the theatre - if it had the industry specific business expertise
to manage a facility the size of the Loew's. Frankly, I would
prefer this kind of arrangement. Just because an operating
entity is a registered 'non-profit' doesn't mean that it cannot
hire paid staff (i.e. bring jobs to local JC residents). Such a
model would do more to bring jobs to the area than an
outside / out-of-state conglomerate which would likely move
in its own employees to run the theatre.
The great irony here is that FOL's original "business plan" was
for FOL to complete the theatre's renovation, then maintain
the facility and oversee its operation via a paid 'operating
company' which had the requisite entertainment industry
knowhow and connections.

Posted on: 2014/3/8 17:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slander_of_title

If I'm reading this right, they are basically suing Fulop for shit talking leading to loss of income ,correct? Aren't all the untrue allegations they have an issue with ones published in articles by journalists, not words from Fulop himself?

I was taught that you will never win a suit against someone whose pockets are much deeper than yours.

Posted on: 2014/3/8 14:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Or his or her name. ...

Posted on: 2014/3/8 3:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/8 3:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stupidseven wrote:
Never trust insider info unless the person is willing to put there name on it.

Likewise, never accept criticism from someone unwilling to
put their name on it.

Posted on: 2014/3/8 3:05

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/8 3:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
You're right - the "Loew's Board" is actually the FOL Board of Trustees.
And, yes, a non-profit organization could certainly operate
the theatre - if it had the industry specific business expertise
to manage a facility the size of the Loew's. Frankly, I would
prefer this kind of arrangement. Just because an operating
entity is a registered 'non-profit' doesn't mean that it cannot
hire paid staff (i.e. bring jobs to local JC residents). Such a
model would do more to bring jobs to the area than an
outside / out-of-state conglomerate which would likely move
in its own employees to run the theatre.
The great irony here is that FOL's original "business plan" was
for FOL to complete the theatre's renovation, then maintain
the facility and oversee its operation via a paid 'operating
company' which had the requisite entertainment industry
knowhow and connections.

Posted on: 2014/3/8 2:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Because if this get turned over to a management conglomerate like Live Nation (who is in the running), they will bring in existing staff &/or run it out of NYC. That's how they work.

So again, does that mean that any arts or entertainment venue in NYC should refuse to hire someone who lives outside of NYC?

Quote:
I also find it very troubling that the city is looking at a MINIMUM of a 30 YEAR LEASE to the chosen company. So if we don't like what they are doing (we being the community), tough.

If you don't like what the management is doing, then you don't patronize the venue. Regardless of whether they are for-profit or non-profit, if they can't get people in the seats, then they will not wind up controlling the venue for long.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 22:08

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017