Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: What kind of renovation work requires a building permit?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/13 1:38
Group:
Registered Users
We have been waiting for almost a month now...

Posted on: 2015/4/19 23:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Des anyone know how long it takes for permits to be issued for a kitchen renovation? These are for plumbing and electrical work.
TIA

Posted on: 2015/4/19 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
itsabraq - it doesn't sound like you require a permit for your work; replacing finish flooring, fixtures and fittings, and appliances does not require a building permit.

Robin.

Posted on: 2014/4/5 12:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Re cabinets: I was told that replacing existing cabs did NOT require a permit, but hanging new ones where one did not exist before does.

The sheet rock rule is not absolute. There is a threshold percentage. Several times I've had ceilings down in part of an apartment, and electrical work done, all under permits, but they did NOT force me to take down ALL the ceilings and replace ALL the electric.

Doing your kitchen it's important to upgrade the electric if you can. A good electrician can be very clever about running cable with minimal wall damage, especially if you're in a top or bottom floor with crawl access. The DW, fridge and counter outlets should all get their own circuits, actually by code there should be 2 circuits for the counters. Most old JC kitchens share 1 circuit with half the apartment!

In some of these old houses it seems like the whole place is on one circuit.

Posted on: 2014/4/5 11:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 12:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

JoeGee wrote:
Next... Do not let an inspector in your house until you are finished, and if they ask, You did not remove or add, or rip off and put new sheet rock to any walls. Once you do this they can force you to bring the whole place to code.

Why would you have to be "forced" I would think you would want it to be "up to code" This is what the OP is trying to achieve isn't it ?

Some of the code is ridiculous.. I am all for GFI next to the sink, however being told that my hallway needs a receptacle is out of control.

Posted on: 2014/4/4 18:31
The All Knowing and All Powerful Joe Has Spoken!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Re cabinets: I was told that replacing existing cabs did NOT require a permit, but hanging new ones where one did not exist before does.

The sheet rock rule is not absolute. There is a threshold percentage. Several times I've had ceilings down in part of an apartment, and electrical work done, all under permits, but they did NOT force me to take down ALL the ceilings and replace ALL the electric.

Doing your kitchen it's important to upgrade the electric if you can. A good electrician can be very clever about running cable with minimal wall damage, especially if you're in a top or bottom floor with crawl access. The DW, fridge and counter outlets should all get their own circuits, actually by code there should be 2 circuits for the counters. Most old JC kitchens share 1 circuit with half the apartment!

Posted on: 2014/4/4 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
Basic repairs don't need permits.
If you are swapping out a range, you don't need a permit.

The best source is to call the NJ Dept. of Community Affairs Code Enforcement Division. They oversee ALL the Building Department in the state of NJ. What they say is the law. I have always found them polite and professional. To protect yourself, submit your questions in writing and they will respond in kind.

I wish I could say about our building department here in Jersey City but I can't. It is infamous. Assuming you get someone to talk to you, they may give you the wrong answer, or change decisions when you are 2/3rds though a project (this happened to me).

Posted on: 2014/4/4 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JoeGee wrote:
Next... Do not let an inspector in your house until you are finished, and if they ask, You did not remove or add, or rip off and put new sheet rock to any walls. Once you do this they can force you to bring the whole place to code.

Why would you have to be "forced" I would think you would want it to be "up to code" This is what the OP is trying to achieve isn't it ?

Posted on: 2014/4/4 14:29
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

istabraq wrote:
Thanks Joe, I was on that page, but thought it was for businesses only so didn't read far enough to see the permit info.
I'm still not totally clear on what constitutes a "renovation to existing property," but I'll cal them to find out.

It's a shame in this day & age you have to call for information that should be on their website. I guess they wing it as you go along.

Posted on: 2014/4/4 14:28
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
In seriousness though, cosmetic things like changing fixtures or replacing appliances won't need a permit. Not sure about cabinetry, but I don't think so.

Posted on: 2014/4/4 14:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Before you proceed, you'll first have to apply to the Historic Dept for a "thinking about about your house" review and then the Buildings Dept for a permit to measure items in your house.

Posted on: 2014/4/4 14:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/4/4 13:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/4 17:41
From Lincoln Park/McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks Joe, I was on that page, but thought it was for businesses only so didn't read far enough to see the permit info.
I'm still not totally clear on what constitutes a "renovation to existing property," but I'll call them to find out.

Posted on: 2014/4/4 13:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You are right about one thing. If it is going to make noise, chances are someone will rat you out for one of many reasons. Knowing this situation, when having my roof done I made sure to have all the paper work in place. I live in one of the historic districts and had to place two permits a general work done in Jersey City Permit and a Permit with the Historic Permit Department. The Roofing Company in the area had done work in the area before and was familiar with the protocol and did all the paper work for me, however after a month of waiting, I had to pay a visit to the office and push the paper work along... In saying that, all the info that you will need if you intend to do it yourself can be found on this site:

http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/hedc.aspx?id=10764

Posted on: 2014/4/4 12:54

What kind of renovation work requires a building permit?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/4 17:41
From Lincoln Park/McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
I'm planning to redo my kitchen soon, and I can't seem to find anything useful on the JC website about what kind of work requires a building permit from the city.
It's basically a cosmetic job - not moving/adding/changing any plumbing or electrical, just installing new fixtures and appliances in the same locations as the old (along with new floor, countertop etc).
Obviously I'd rather not bother with a permit if I don't have to, but if it's required I'd just as soon deal with it up front. There seem to be a lot of people around who will rat you out for doing work w/o a permit, and I imagine the penalties are severe.
So I'm not trying to get away with anything. . .does anyone who has experience with home renovations know?

Thanks everybody!

Posted on: 2014/4/4 12:15

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017