Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Fire at Dixon Mills Apartments

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/5 13:59
Group:
Registered Users
thank you so much. I hope the injured tenant recovers.

Posted on: 2014/4/4 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Two points:

There is realistically no such thing as a ?fireproof? building. While concrete, masonry, glass, and steel are not combustible materials, most of the contents of a building are. While there are varying degrees of fire resistance, and comprehensive measures are taken in the design and construction of a building to prevent the spread of fire and smoke, fireproof is an imaginary concept. Is true however, that in modern high-rise buildings?which are fully sprinklered and usually have active smoke-control systems?yes, it is safer to stay in the building in the event of a fire on another floor.

Most of the new residential high-rise construction in this region does use reinforced concrete, and not because of its fire resistance, but strictly because it?s ultimately cheaper than building with steel. Reinforced concrete tends to be a more expensive building material, but it facilitates shorter construction schedules and cheaper labor. After all, minimizing first cost is paramount in the choice of construction methods for residential projects, especially given the poplar trend of enticing uneducated consumers with expensive ?luxury? amenities.

Posted on: 2014/4/4 12:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

old88dog wrote:
I live on the floor where the fire occurred. The alarms went off immediately. The person who reported this to the press didn't hear them. I did, as did many others.

Glad you're ok!

Posted on: 2014/4/3 21:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/5 13:59
Group:
Registered Users
I live on the floor where the fire occurred. The alarms went off immediately. The person who reported this to the press didn't hear them. I did, as did many others.

Posted on: 2014/4/3 18:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
New construction in Jersey City is rarely concrete. It's steel I beams with "fire retardant" material between between floors (and walls). In NYC (and even Hoboken) the code is much more stringent. Concrete between floors. Look at the newest Silverman Building in the former parking lot of Park Hamilton Condos. No poured concrete used there. This type of construction is much less expensive and also has poor sound insulation properties compared to concrete.

Quote:

Maise wrote:
In the newer, Fireproof buildings (ie buildings with sprinklers and fireproof doors / concrete walls) it is best for residents to stay in their apartments, especially if the fire is nearby or on the same floor. I know that sounds crazy, but the danger is more from smoke inhalation that the fire itself (unless the fire is in your apartment, in which case you should get the hell out asap).

Earlier in the year, someone died in a NYC high rise for just this reason - http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/h ... r-strip-article-1.1567795 - From the article: "?In fireproof residential buildings, 99.9% of the time you?re safer in your fireproof apartment,? said Esposito. ?If you do smell some smoke coming underneath your door, put some wet towels down and call the Fire Department.?

I'm not saying I would stay in my apartment if I knew there was a fire in the building, that's just how the code works.

Posted on: 2014/4/3 16:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/20 18:54
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
In the newer, Fireproof buildings (ie buildings with sprinklers and fireproof doors / concrete walls) it is best for residents to stay in their apartments, especially if the fire is nearby or on the same floor. I know that sounds crazy, but the danger is more from smoke inhalation that the fire itself (unless the fire is in your apartment, in which case you should get the hell out asap).

Earlier in the year, someone died in a NYC high rise for just this reason - http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/h ... r-strip-article-1.1567795 - From the article: "?In fireproof residential buildings, 99.9% of the time you?re safer in your fireproof apartment,? said Esposito. ?If you do smell some smoke coming underneath your door, put some wet towels down and call the Fire Department.?

I'm not saying I would stay in my apartment if I knew there was a fire in the building, that's just how the code works.

Posted on: 2014/4/3 14:05

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/5 17:35
Group:
Registered Users
An interesting angle for this story is that according to a report from the property manager, the complex recently completed their fire inspections and was/is up to code. What are the implications for the code? This is not reported in the JJ story.

Posted on: 2014/4/3 13:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

7thstreeter wrote:
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... ffers_s.html#incart_river
Jersey City woman suffers severe burns in early morning fire

That's pretty horrible that the fire alarms weren't initially set off by the blaze itself. 3:30am? If that fire had gotten out of control a lot of people would be dead this morning.

I know several people who have apartments in that building and I just confirmed that the alarms sounded right away. Some people didn't wake up, but building supers were running all over the building, banging on doors and emergency calls were sent out to cell phones.

A good time to remind everyone to check their smoke alarm batteries and to keep a fire extinguisher handy in the home.

Good to know that wasn't the case. Hopefully, JJ amends their story. A friend of mine lives in a building downtown, and one evening he heard sirens, looked outside his window, and saw three firetrucks and firemen hooking up a hose to a hydrant. He went out into the hallway only to see flashing strobes. Turns out a neighbor had a kitchen fire and had pulled the fire alarm. There was no audible alarm at all!

Posted on: 2014/4/3 13:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:

That's pretty horrible that the fire alarms weren't initially set off by the blaze itself. 3:30am? If that fire had gotten out of control a lot of people would be dead this morning.

I know several people who have apartments in that building and I just confirmed that the alarms sounded right away. Some people didn't wake up, but building supers were running all over the building, banging on doors and emergency calls were sent out to cell phones.

A good time to remind everyone to check their smoke alarm batteries and to keep a fire extinguisher handy in the home.

Posted on: 2014/4/3 13:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:

Posted on: 2014/4/3 12:49

Fire at Dixon Mills Apartments
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users