Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Fight at Dickinson HS
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
16 Kids internally "disciplined". New "Climate and Culture" task force set up to solicit student input...

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... _dickin.html#incart_river

Some kids didn't get the memo...

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _fracas.html#incart_river

Internal "discipline" appears to be a joke to the kids.

Posted on: 2014/4/5 16:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
my two older kids went to McNair and even though I've heard some of their classmates being jumped by kids from other high schools, i have not heard of a mass brawl or incident among McNair kids. there was one incident during a dance where kids from other schools were invited.

I blame the parents on this one
I remember Dickinson when I went there would purposely hold parent teacher night at 3pm or 4pm to have a low turn out since most parents were at work at that time. It was also supposedly to cator to the lazy teachers that lived in South Jersey that didn't want to deal with parents or be at work too late. I was told this by some of the good teachers that wouldn't of minded staying late for a better turn out.

What ever happened to the "zero tolerence policy" program JC had in the 90's? It had a clear punishment for every offense and the kids that were violent, had weapons, dealt drugs or just behavior problems would be suspended but still forced to go to school in the boys and girls club in classrooms with cops in them. It pulled the problem kids out of regular classrooms and didnt simply give them a few days off of school to cause trouble after school or in the streets.

Posted on: 2014/4/3 23:20

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/2 14:03
Group:
Registered Users
I am so saddened by this video but I am glad it has finally opened a dialog about violence in our schools. Marcia Lyles has completely ignored this elephant in our classrooms and instead has chosen to focus on the educational issues du jour of high stakes testing, privatization, data collection, etc. What good is raising test scores if kids aren't safe?

Her dedication to children's safety is summed up in the JJ article by the official district spokesperson MaryAnne Dickar "no comment".

On the flip side the teachers and administration who she is demonizing through a thin veil risk their personal safety and jobs by breaking up these fights everyday. Why do they do this when all they are required to do is call security? Because they genuinely care about the kids and can't watch them hurt each other until the cops or enough security guards eventually get there. The student's are much more than data points to them.

That Principal was brave. She did something cops don't even have the guts to do. She got directly in the mix with some violent teens with out any weapon AND she looks skinny as a twig.

How about our new super-duper superintendent Marcia Lyles make children's safety her first priority and try and fix that problem instead of doing the bidding of billionaires like Broad, Gates, and the Koch brothers who are so narcissistic that they think they should be the boss of everything?

Posted on: 2014/4/3 13:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... d_melee.html#incart_river
What is a principal doing getting involved in fight and gang control especially an acting principal. Leave the involvement to the security that is hired along withthe police department. I guess now their health insurance will go up fo being a rick factor. Actually those (staff/students) that did not interact with these gang members before and during the melee never have problems they go about their concerns and pass through with excellence. Well at least the brawlers will get an A for entertainment.

Posted on: 2014/4/3 11:03
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
A head in the sand approach doesn't work. I've seen examples of DHS students listed on school sports teams one year, then a year or two later up for robbery, attempted murder and worse. The majority of the kids there want to learn. But the principal is failing these kids if there isn't a near zero tolerance policy for violence at the school. Both failing to educate the kids AND permitting this kind of violence is simply inexcusable.

Posted on: 2014/4/3 0:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
my two older kids went to McNair and even though I've heard some of their classmates being jumped by kids from other high schools, i have not heard of a mass brawl or incident among McNair kids. there was one incident during a dance where kids from other schools were invited.

I blame the parents on this one

Posted on: 2014/4/3 0:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:

If you read the actual comments of the students in the comment section it says it wasnt a "gang" fight. It is more the Jersey Journal putting the gang spin on it. Common sense will tell you "The Heights" isn't a gang since it is a section of the city. The kid in the comment section states AOS is just a group of kids that collect sneakers. It is just two groups fighting.

Why not simply report it to the police and let them do their job, instead of sweeping it under the carpet and hoping it goes away, like the DHS principal?
I blame that on the BOE the schools hide incidents to make things like this look less common then they are and to the public. Police generally dont treat HS fights as a crime unless serious injury or weapons are involved. I went to to DHS as a kid even large brawls in front of police rarely ended in an arrest. Believe it or not that school has become less violent it just the media reports these things more now. You have to remember that is the second most populated HS in the state so while fights/brawls may be more common then other schools percentage wise their are far more good kids then bad compared to Snyder, Lincoln, and Ferris.

Posted on: 2014/4/2 23:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:

If you read the actual comments of the students in the comment section it says it wasnt a "gang" fight. It is more the Jersey Journal putting the gang spin on it. Common sense will tell you "The Heights" isn't a gang since it is a section of the city. The kid in the comment section states AOS is just a group of kids that collect sneakers. It is just two groups fighting.

Why not simply report it to the police and let them do their job, instead of sweeping it under the carpet and hoping it goes away, like the DHS principal?

Posted on: 2014/4/2 23:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Seems to confirm it was gang-related.

The principal was in the middle of it but didn't report it to the police...

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _ground.html#incart_river

and parents left in the dark...

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ullying.html#incart_river

The principal is basically hiding the problem, the police have no report to act on, and the family are left with little recourse. Gangs can operate and recruit with impunity with this situation - JC schools seem little more than gang incubators.

Posted on: 2014/4/2 22:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I never saw a fight in high school and I am a child of sixties. We were afraid of the adults not the students. I went to high school in Hoboken. Today, people accept bad behavior as normal.

Fear of adults aint exactly the way to go, either.

Posted on: 2014/4/2 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Seems to confirm it was gang-related.

The principal was in the middle of it but didn't report it to the police...

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _ground.html#incart_river

and parents left in the dark...

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ullying.html#incart_river

The principal is basically hiding the problem, the police have no report to act on, and the family are left with little recourse. Gangs can operate and recruit with impunity with this situation - JC schools seem little more than gang incubators.

Posted on: 2014/4/2 22:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I never saw a fight in high school and I am a child of sixties. We were afraid of the adults not the students. I went to high school in Hoboken. Today, people accept bad behavior as normal.

Posted on: 2014/4/2 20:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
I went to Dickinson all 4 years of High school. THere is always a fight. How is this news?

If you just moved to JC from some place no one ever heard of with population of 3, 000 or went to H.S. in the 1950's this would be news.

Posted on: 2014/4/2 17:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
I went to Dickinson all 4 years of High school. THere is always a fight. How is this news?

Posted on: 2014/4/2 17:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You need only read the constant stream of press reports of robberies, shootings and assaults committed by JC school kids and recent alumni, to figure the only education the kids seem to get is a gang initiation.

This fight is likely is a symptom of a much bigger problem than simple "bullying" and adolescent hormones.

Posted on: 2014/4/2 17:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/24 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
There were fights like this all the time - at least once a month -- in my school. Was it normal? Yes. Was it ok? No, of course not. But that was reality. I didn't live in a city, I lived in a relatively small town on the west coast, and this was over 20 years ago. I'm not saying nothing should be done about it or that it's acceptable or sane, but it is reality for a lot of us and not all that shocking.

Posted on: 2014/4/2 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I witnessed fights similar to this in H.S. which would happen at least every six months. I went to H.S. in BK when inner city kids and kids from Bensonhurst were bused out to the same school and a fight would break out quite frequently. So no, I am not surprised. Seen it close up and personal.

Posted on: 2014/4/2 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Wow. I am surprised (and, saddened) that some people think that is normal for a high school. Maybe I *am* naive, but that's truly a shame if such a fight is a common occurrence at Dickinson HS. I can't recall a melee, or large fight, ever breaking out when I was in HS, nor do I think it is sane or acceptable. I think anyone that thinks this is normal and OK is part of the problem; we should expect and demand better from our schools. I can't imagine paying NJ/JC taxes and have to send a kid to school here.

Posted on: 2014/4/2 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
never had a fight like that at my school, kids be learnin' and shit.

Posted on: 2014/4/2 14:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Lol, unless there were weapons involved this is not news worthy. It's high school, kids fight.

Posted on: 2014/4/2 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Yvonne I cannot access this video was the fight recent, anything news worthy ?

I cannot say it is newsworthy, but it is something that happens frequently at Dickinson HS.

Posted on: 2014/4/2 14:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Classic, Jersey City Schools on a good day. No guns were used just fist and a unruly crowd.

Posted on: 2014/4/2 13:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne I cannot access this video was the fight recent, anything news worthy ?

Posted on: 2014/4/2 13:31
Get on your bikes and ride !

Fight at Dickinson HS
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/4/2 13:00

[Advanced Search]