Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
139 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 139

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Jersey City school board, mayor at odds over boosting pre-K classrooms
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/23 19:32
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Please sign this petition and cross post. http://chn.ge/1jTXrb0

Current demographic studies show a growing demand for preK and elementary school classrooms across Jersey City with more than half of the need concentrated downtown. The PS37/Cordero Annex in downtown Jersey City currently provides educational space for sixty 3-year-old and 4-year-old students with the potential to serve hundreds more. The city administration is evicting the public school from the building as of September 2014.

If the city evicts the preK students, 3-year-old and 4-year-old children will be bused to other schools in the district. Some will be housed in trailers on the grounds of those schools due to their own capacity constraints. Other schools will fill to capacity leaving fewer classroom seats for the children living in those neighborhoods.

The PS37/Cordero Annex, a well-functioning school building, will sit empty for the 2014-2015 school year unless it is leased to a private or charter school, or it is sold to a developer and demolished for private development.

For the good of Jersey City, this school building should remain a public school for the city?s children.

To:
Steven Fulop, Mayor of Jersey City
Council President Rolando Lavarro, Jersey City Municipal Council President
Councilwoman Joyce Watterman, Jersey City At-Large Councilwoman
Councilman Frank Gajewski, Ward ?A? Councilman, Jersey City
Councilman Khemraj ?Chico? Ramchal, Ward ?B? Councilman, Jersey City
Councilman Rich Boggiano, Ward ?C? Councilman, Jersey City
Councilman Michael Yun, Ward ?D? Councilman, Jersey City
Councilwoman Candice Osborne, Ward ?E? Councilwoman, Jersey CIty
Councilwoman Diane Coleman, Ward ?F? Councilwoman, Jersey City
Councilman Daniel Rivera, At-Large Councilman, Jersey City

Mayor Fulop,

Please don't close our public school. Jersey City families deserve better. Public schools should be available wherever there is a need and we need you and the Council Members to be the leaders we elected you to be.

Please make available the PS37/Cordero Annex to the Jersey City Board of Education for next year and subsequent years at a price that will not take needed money from our children's classrooms, teachers, and libraries.

Your city will be better for it.
Sincerely,
[Your name]

Posted on: 2014/3/28 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you Monroe, I am well aware of my options.
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
The result of the Abbott court ruling in 1985 determined that the Jersey City School District qualified as a unconstitutionally substandard school district and as such was entitled to have state cover all costs for school building and renovation projects in these districts under the supervision of the New Jersey Schools Development Authority.

NOTE: It DID NOT say all areas EXCEPT DOWNTOWN

If the city does not want to have equal treatment throughout then I would call for Downtown to make a motion to separate from the whole resulting in a new municipality that would not receive the Abbott distinction.

Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

hamiltonpkmom wrote:
I don?t think there is any need to undermine current parents? hardship nor concerns about their children. It?s getting harder and harder to raise family in one income and pension are thing of the past for majority of us.

It's not a hardship to bus your kids to free preK. It's an inconvenience at worst. The City doesn't owe you, because life was somehow easier for previous generations. Wouldn't the City's $750k/year would be better spent directly to help families living in real poverty in the City?

There is a relationship between wasteful spending, higher taxes, and the middle classes ability to make ends meet. The middle class squeeze isn't simply a tale of demons from Wall Street.

There isn't a constitutional right to have an preK school within walking distance of your home. If you don't want your kids to take a bus, you have the option of paying for private preK or driving them to the school yourself-car pool maybe?

Posted on: 2014/3/24 11:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
The result of the Abbott court ruling in 1985 determined that the Jersey City School District qualified as a unconstitutionally substandard school district and as such was entitled to have state cover all costs for school building and renovation projects in these districts under the supervision of the New Jersey Schools Development Authority.

If the city does not want to have equal treatment throughout then I would call for Downtown to make a motion to separate from the whole resulting in a new municipality that would not receive the Abbott distinction.

Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

hamiltonpkmom wrote:
I don?t think there is any need to undermine current parents? hardship nor concerns about their children. It?s getting harder and harder to raise family in one income and pension are thing of the past for majority of us.

It's not a hardship to bus your kids to free preK. It's an inconvenience at worst. The City doesn't owe you, because life was somehow easier for previous generations. Wouldn't the City's $750k/year would be better spent directly to help families living in real poverty in the City?

There is a relationship between wasteful spending, higher taxes, and the middle classes ability to make ends meet. The middle class squeeze isn't simply a tale of demons from Wall Street.

There isn't a constitutional right to have an preK school within walking distance of your home. If you don't want your kids to take a bus, you have the option of paying for private preK or driving them to the school yourself-car pool maybe?

Posted on: 2014/3/24 10:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

hamiltonpkmom wrote:

Posted on: 2014/3/24 2:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hamiltonpkmom wrote:

Posted on: 2014/3/23 10:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/17 0:57
Group:
Registered Users
Dtjcview: that?s so commendable as a single mom, your mom was able to raise 7 of you with the limitations you listed. My father had similar background as well and came out quite remarkable thanks to his diligence and education after losing his father when he was 4. Had your family been offered Prek3 programs through Abott at the time, it?s something that might have been welcomed by your family. I don?t think there is any need to undermine current parents? hardship nor concerns about their children. It?s getting harder and harder to raise family in one income and pension are thing of the past for majority of us.

La-Verdad: Many who live in JC don?t have a car. We rely on public transportations, one of the many reasons why we choose to live in JC because it?s walk able. So to send a kid to nearby private schools in DTJC, there is very limited spaces and full time schools range do start $15K and up to over 20K. And it?s only getting higher every year. I am not sure where you are getting your number from but it just doesn't reflect current private school costs in DTJC, and even at that crazy expensive amount which I do agree is very high, there is long waiting list. And when you have multiple children, it?s just not option for many working or middle class families even at 10K you are quoting.

What I find ironic we are bickering about something that in 2005, ?New Jersey?s Supreme Court mandated a universal preschool system be created by court order to serve all 3- and 4-year olds who wished to participate?. And when the Seattle Mayor came to study Jersey City in early March, our very own Mayor who is so critical of JCBOE and who will be responsible for closing of public school if Cordero Annex loses it?s space this fall, was right there to take photo op credit at our public school.

Some can argue we shouldn?t be subsidizing Cordero Annex. Then should be we subsidizing private developers to build spaces for PreK spaces with handsomely abated properties and lock in the lease paid for by the tax payers with above market rent for long term with no demographic study done at that area instead? It seems like pay to play and it will also cost taxpayers another $1100 to bus the 3 and 4 year olds across town. I think what makes sense is to use the property that was built as learning center to keep continue to house our 3 and 4 year olds until there is better option that can transition the school seamlessly without needing a closure.

Posted on: 2014/3/23 4:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcdd wrote:
Guess what folks -- this is not the 1970s anymore. It is a colder, crueler world than the one you grew up in.

My father died when I was 9 as a result of injuries sustained in war. My mother raised 7 of us from a very young age. Set up her own small business to supplement a meager pension, fed and clothed us. We didn't get free preK nor free school lunches.

Colder and crueler today? Get over yourself.

Posted on: 2014/3/23 2:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:
1. Everyone thinks they are middle class.
2. Move to Maplewood. You can pay $20,000 a year in property taxes. $8,000 is nothing.
3. I'm sure you can find a pre-K that costs $20,000, but you'd be a fool to pay it. You can go to a quality private high school for a good bit less than that. I'm sure story time and naps at the $10k 3-year old "school" are just as rewarding as at the Harvard of daycare.

Yes, to point 2, Maplewood pays for $.85/dollar of their own school costs, which are only $18,100/student. They get little state aid, because most gets sent to districts like JC, subsidizing JC taxpayers. Hence their high taxes in comparison to JC.

Posted on: 2014/3/23 2:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
1. Everyone thinks they are middle class.
2. Move to Maplewood. You can pay $20,000 a year in property taxes. $8,000 is nothing.
3. I'm sure you can find a pre-K that costs $20,000, but you'd be a fool to pay it. You can go to a quality private high school for a good bit less than that. I'm sure story time and naps at the $10k 3-year old "school" are just as rewarding as at the Harvard of daycare.

Posted on: 2014/3/23 2:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcdd wrote:
Quote:
So I'm supposed to pay my $8000 property taxes, then send my 3 year old to a private PreK for $10,000 near where I live? Thats absurd. Believe it or not, there are many more middle class families downtown than wealthy ones. These folks including myself should have an option near where we reside, not be forced to put a 3 year old on a bus. If our taxes were minimal I'd have no problem going private, but public education options should be a no brainer given the outrageous taxes we're forced to pay here

If you can find a private preK for 10,000K a year, please spill the details. It is really more like 20K (and up). Yes, ridiculous. Many of these objectors probably grew up in families where mom stayed home with them. Guess what folks -- this is not the 1970s anymore. It is a colder, crueler world than the one you grew up in. Most of us downtown "yuppies" have to have two working parents in the household just to keep afloat. Us working moms are generally not out there working 50 hours a week because we want to - it is because we have to.

Sounds like we need a means-tested, state-subsidized nanny system, instead of this expensive failed Abbott experiment.

Posted on: 2014/3/23 0:54

Edited by dtjcview on 2014/3/23 1:19:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
Quote:
So I'm supposed to pay my $8000 property taxes, then send my 3 year old to a private PreK for $10,000 near where I live? Thats absurd. Believe it or not, there are many more middle class families downtown than wealthy ones. These folks including myself should have an option near where we reside, not be forced to put a 3 year old on a bus. If our taxes were minimal I'd have no problem going private, but public education options should be a no brainer given the outrageous taxes we're forced to pay here

If you can find a private preK for 10,000K a year, please spill the details. It is really more like 20K (and up). Yes, ridiculous. Many of these objectors probably grew up in families where mom stayed home with them. Guess what folks -- this is not the 1970s anymore. It is a colder, crueler world than the one you grew up in. Most of us downtown "yuppies" have to have two working parents in the household just to keep afloat. Us working moms are generally not out there working 50 hours a week because we want to - it is because we have to.

Posted on: 2014/3/23 0:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ceo3west wrote:
Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:
I live downtown. I'm not trying to pit anybody against anyone. Just a little tired of the entitled and/or NIMBY bitching. I agree that the city isn't going to fully turn the corner (and even become an "above-average Mid-sized city") until families can stay, but I don't see how subsidizing Pre-K for folks who can comfortably afford it has anything to do with that.

So I'm supposed to pay my $8000 property taxes, then send my 3 year old to a private PreK for $10,000 near where I live? Thats absurd. Believe it or not, there are many more middle class families downtown than wealthy ones. These folks including myself should have an option near where we reside, not be forced to put a 3 year old on a bus. If our taxes were minimal I'd have no problem going private, but public education options should be a no brainer given the outrageous taxes we're forced to pay here.

You're getting off cheap, because other NJ taxpayers are paying over 75% of the cost of public schools cost in JC-and JC spends about $5,000/student more than the state average too! Add in Federal support, and JC taxpayers pay $.16/dollar of school costs. A freaking bargain for JC taxpayers. And your $8,000/year in taxes is just almost exactly the state average, btw.

http://www.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/educat ... dist_code2390&maxhits=650

Summary of Vital Statistics (Definition)
2011-12 Total Spending Per Pupil: $22,260
Revenue Sources, State: 76.2%
Revenue Sources, Local Taxes: 16.2%
Revenue Sources, Federal: 7.6%
Revenue Sources, Tuition: 0%
Revenue Sources, Use of Fund Balance: 0%
Revenue Sources, Other: 0%
Fall 2011 Certified Staff:
Student/Teacher Ratio: 10.7
Student/Support Ratio: 70.9
Student/Administrator Ratio: 161.1
10/15/11 % of Classified Students to Total Students: 10.3%

Posted on: 2014/3/23 0:07

Edited by Monroe on 2014/3/23 0:28:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/29 18:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:

Yes, something could/should be done in terms of developer contributions to education - but that is a different issue. The amount of entitlement downtown is shocking. The micro units was a great example. This is another one.

Developers are at the heart of this issue. Fulop's offer for the PS37 Annex was contingent upon the BOE first agreeing to enter into overpriced, long term lease agreements with developers for space that the BOE was not asking for. The Annex was made available this year for PreK partially because the land that the micro units is to be built was being used by PS3 for PreK. The land was sold by the City to a developer displacing the trailers that were used for PreK classes.

Posted on: 2014/3/22 23:58

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/5 14:23
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:
I live downtown. I'm not trying to pit anybody against anyone. Just a little tired of the entitled and/or NIMBY bitching. I agree that the city isn't going to fully turn the corner (and even become an "above-average Mid-sized city") until families can stay, but I don't see how subsidizing Pre-K for folks who can comfortably afford it has anything to do with that.

So I'm supposed to pay my $8000 property taxes, then send my 3 year old to a private PreK for $10,000 near where I live? Thats absurd. Believe it or not, there are many more middle class families downtown than wealthy ones. These folks including myself should have an option near where we reside, not be forced to put a 3 year old on a bus. If our taxes were minimal I'd have no problem going private, but public education options should be a no brainer given the outrageous taxes we're forced to pay here.

Posted on: 2014/3/22 23:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Parents fill out forms for lunch which is not check. I would not believe that 40% figure. http://educationnext.org/fraud-in-the-lunchroom/

Posted on: 2014/3/22 23:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You can call it entitlement and tiring argument. I will argue differently as us parents fighting for our kids to stay local and attend school on our zone and not close already existing school at Cordero Annex. And as Matt Schapiro had already illustrated, "Of the 723 students enrolled at PS37/Cordero in Hamilton Park, 314 students are eligible for free lunch which means their annual household income must be under $30,615 for a family of four."
Unfortunately, not majority of folks have above $100K income as you would like to assume comfortably.

Posted on: 2014/3/22 23:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/22 23:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I see it as our right to education for our children where we reside. I see a town that fosters education and enables family to stay and grow as socially responsible. This separatist argument about DTJC vs. other wards as non-issue other than the talking points planted by our mayor. This isn't about pitting one ward against the other, simply filling in needs where it's needed. I also see 10% allocation for the lease of a facility as not financial foolishness but rather being financially responsible so that money allocated per child is being used to cover teachers, materials, and overheads.

Posted on: 2014/3/22 23:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hamiltonpkmom wrote:

If one feels it's an entitlement for 3 year olds to go to Prek3 in downtown, the way the law is written, they are legally entitled to go to school no matter what their family income, no matter where in the city they live. Children should use the the building that was built as an education center and currently serving the growing need in the zone. Bussing children will cost tax payers $1100 per student and opens up for liable such as this that just happened in JC.

It is the law. The law should be changed. Of course not everyone who lives in downtown is wealthy - but those who are doing well (look at median household incomes for the HP, VVP, Liberty Harbor and Newport census tracts - well over $100k per household and at or near the top 5% in the nation threshold) should be paying their way. Yes, something could/should be done in terms of developer contributions to education - but that is a different issue. The amount of entitlement downtown is shocking. The micro units was a great example. This is another one.

Posted on: 2014/3/22 22:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hamiltonpkmom wrote:
... and there is no way the state will approve what the mayor's proposing, over 30% vs. 10% of the per student's yearly allocation.

Financial foolishness. Of course 10% is less than 30%, because 10% is ALL the BOE offered - the cost to the City is closer to 100%. They might as well have offered the same amount to rent the entire Goldman Sachs building. Not only is the JC BOE failing to educate our kids, but their financial idiocy never fails to amaze me.

Posted on: 2014/3/22 21:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You are correct, I am mixing up the issues only because everything is intertwined and it's complicated issues.

You are also correct to point out JCBOE's budget is bigger than the city's budget. But as per Abbot Program/ Early Childhood, JCBOE must get state's approval on their facilities lease/ purchase and there is no way the state will approve what the mayor's proposing, over 30% vs. 10% of the per student's yearly allocation.

This lease fee mayor is negotiated on behalf of Pennrose which is on Westside not just DTJC's JCRA is just very disappointing to say the least.

Posted on: 2014/3/22 18:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
HPM - you are mixing issues - but it points to the right resolution. Developers should contribute more to the BOE, either in direct financing or in facilities, given most of the BOE projected downtown increase is down to new development.

The BOE has a bigger budget than the City. It's time they stopped their financial foolishness, and not land City taxpayers with their bills.

Posted on: 2014/3/22 16:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Based on the JCBOE's district's study and the growing population of PreK students and especially in DTJC and as a tax payer, yes, I feel entitled to have a PreK facility that is readily available in my school district which is PS37, Cordero. Especially when abatements are given out by the administrations to developers that takes money away from the school funding into their budget.
It's an eminent problem with 2014-2015 school year with Annex's possible closure. This isn't an argument for me for a separate school district. I already have one, PS37, we just want a school that's currently open from closing with no option available in the area.

Posted on: 2014/3/22 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hamiltonpkmom wrote:
If one feels it's an entitlement for 3 year olds to go to Prek3 in downtown, the way the law is written, they are legally entitled to go to school no matter what their family income, no matter where in the city they live.

At the moment JC kids are entitled to preK3 in JC, not specifically where the parents decide is convenient. Are downtown parents entitled to an additional $12.5k per student per year of City funding, and parents in other parts of the City not entitled to the same? If transport across the JC district is impractical, why not lobby for a separate downtown school district? Or is it convenient to be part of JC when it suits, and inconvenient when it doesn't?

Posted on: 2014/3/22 15:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
PS37, Cordero being largest school zone in DTJC, covers many low income housing areas. You only need to speak with Principal Stryner to realize the urgent need for more spaces.

PS5, over 70% of students qualify for free lunch same at PS3. So unlike the administration's assumption somehow all those that reside in DTJC are somehow wealthy, it is still very much mixed with different income brackets.

The private schools averages about $16-$20K for full time students at the Bridge level. So sending kids to a private institute is not an option to many families especially there is multiple children in the family.

I for one will always side with not bussing the 3 year olds. Anyone that thinks it will only take a few minute ride to be bussed from zone to zone will change their mind when they have to deal with the morning traffic this April. Bussing children will cost tax payers $1100 per student and opens up for liable such as this that just happened in JC...
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... pre-k_maryann_dickar.html

If one feels it's an entitlement for 3 year olds to go to Prek3 in downtown, the way the law is written, they are legally entitled to go to school no matter what their family income, no matter where in the city they live. Children should use the the building that was built as an education center and currently serving the growing need in the zone. Bussing children will cost tax payers $1100 per student and opens up for liable such as this that just happened in JC.

It's a universal feeling with all parents to want a safe school environment for our children at all times. For many 3 year olds, prek3 is their first experience of extended time away from home. Not many parents are comfortable with bussing their child to an unknown facility in the areas of the city they are not familiar with.

Posted on: 2014/3/22 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MattSchapiro wrote:
Quote:
by dtjcview on 2014/3/22 1:06:12
The Abbott funding was originally earmarked for impoverished families. Not many of those live in Hamilton Park these days.

Of the 723 students enrolled at PS37/Cordero in Hamilton Park, 314 students are eligible for free lunch which means their annual household income must be under $30,615 for a family of four.

Abbott funding is not means tested. If one lives in an Abbott district, one is legally entitled to public preK.

Even in an area perceived as one of Jersey City's wealthiest, the data shows precisely why we are given the Abbott designation.

How many of those kids are bused to Cordero from outside HP? You think if Ward E was a school district, it would qualify for Abbott, given Cordero fails the 60% free-lunch threshold? Being entitled to preK in a district, doesn't mean being entitled to an additional $12k/year from the City to pay for what seems be parental convenience.

http://www.state.nj.us/education/arch ... gs/criteria/criteria2.htm
Quote:

The district must be DFG A and satisfy the following criteria. DFG B districts that also meet the following criteria may be classified as Abbott if they demonstrate additional substantial economic hardship:

The district must have a low-income concentration (as measured by eligibility for free lunch under the United States Department of Agriculture free/reduced lunch program) of at least 40 percent;

If the district has a low-income concentration less than 60 percent, then it must have an equalized value per capita at least 3 percent below the state average and equalized tax rate at least 30 percent greater than the state average;

If the low-income concentration is at least 60 percent, then the equalized value per capita must be at least 3 percent below the state average; the equalized tax rate does not factor into the eligibility requirement for these districts; and

The district must be included in the NJRA eligible list.

Posted on: 2014/3/22 11:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/25 7:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
by dtjcview on 2014/3/22 1:06:12
The Abbott funding was originally earmarked for impoverished families. Not many of those live in Hamilton Park these days.

Of the 723 students enrolled at PS37/Cordero in Hamilton Park, 314 students are eligible for free lunch which means their annual household income must be under $30,615 for a family of four.

Abbott funding is not means tested. If one lives in an Abbott district, one is legally entitled to public preK.

Even in an area perceived as one of Jersey City's wealthiest, the data shows precisely why we are given the Abbott designation.

Posted on: 2014/3/22 6:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hamiltonpkmom wrote:
dtjcview, the budget for 2014-2015 school year per allocation per child for PreK is $12, 842 not over $20K. The information can be found here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzPMO9 ... W5TUUpYNzdSSGs/edit?pli=1

?We are talking about early childhood meaning 3 and 4 year olds. With all the developments going on through generous abatements by the administration while the tax dollars are being routed away from the school funds, do we then bus all the 3 and 4 year olds across other wards?

?With the closure of Bayonne Bridge for next two years which will clog up the streets of JC, how long will it take for the 3 and 4 year olds to get to school in school bus in rush hour?

?The Mayor's office gave generous 30% raise to their office for 2014 budget while JCRA facility which is built for community center and school and learning and currently being used for much needed school might evict our students?

Much about this action or I should say inaction is truly shameful by the Mayor.

Here is more light to shed on our mayor: http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ey_city.html#incart_river

I think a short bus ride across town, to save parents $10k/year in private pre-K education, isn't such a bad deal. The Abbott funding was originally earmarked for impoverished families. Not many of those live in Hamilton Park these days.

Asking the City to stump up an additional $12.5k/year for each kid, on top of Abbott funding, just smells to me of entitlement.

Posted on: 2014/3/22 5:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
And how soon we forget, just a few years ago former Superintedent Epps shut down P.S. 9, on the ground that there was excess capacity that could be handled by 3 and 5! The real issue I think is that the lack of high school space citywide is even more acute than the lack or Pre K spaces downtown. I believe Ferris HS needs all that space now. Because otherwise we would have another obvious solution!

As it turns out, the JCBOE just came out with their projected capacity study, and I stand corrected. Dickinson is the only high school that can be considered overcrowded. Ferris is actually way undercapacity.

Which gives rise to the possibility of consolidating Ferris back in the old building and reopening P.S. 9.

Posted on: 2014/3/22 4:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
dtjcview, the budget for 2014-2015 school year per allocation per child for PreK is $12, 842 not over $20K. The information can be found here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzPMO9 ... W5TUUpYNzdSSGs/edit?pli=1

?We are talking about early childhood meaning 3 and 4 year olds. With all the developments going on through generous abatements by the administration while the tax dollars are being routed away from the school funds, do we then bus all the 3 and 4 year olds across other wards?

?With the closure of Bayonne Bridge for next two years which will clog up the streets of JC, how long will it take for the 3 and 4 year olds to get to school in school bus in rush hour?

?The Mayor's office gave generous 30% raise to their office for 2014 budget while JCRA facility which is built for community center and school and learning and currently being used for much needed school might evict our students?

Much about this action or I should say inaction is truly shameful by the Mayor.

Here is more light to shed on our mayor: http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ey_city.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2014/3/22 3:59

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017