Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
101 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: music restrictions for Exchange Place to be introduced by city council
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Once again, either all of your reading comprehension is so poor you can't understand what is happening, or you're willfully ignoring it and overreacting (as per usual on here), so I will reiterate:

What is happening:

Changing the end time for festivals on weekends and weekdays:
Closing hour of permitted festivals changed from 12am to 10pm on Friday and Saturday.

Closing hour of permitted festivals changed from 11pm to 8pm on Sunday through Thursday

What is NOT happening:

- No one is limiting the number of festivals
- No one is limiting the volume of festivals
- No one is eroding the multi-cultural fabric of JC

So let's just all relax here. Considering these things can begin by noon (correct me if I am wrong), and most trail off around 8/9 on weekends, this is not a big deal at all. Let's just relax and tone down the rhetoric a little.

Posted on: 2014/3/21 19:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
For me that is not true, I lived on Van Vorst Park for 40 plus years. There was the annual Puerto Rican parade, and that was it. But under the Schundler Administration, he expanded parades and festivals. We even gave start up money for these festivals. At one point we give $5,000 for each festival. I believe those funds have been cut out. Personally, it is not fair to young children, when they become adults, they might have ?ringing in the ear.? There is a place for this activity, Liberty State Park, it is wide enough to accommodate festivals plus it has parking.

Really, before moving to JC I grew up in BK, and then later moved to Bleeker st in west village and HK in NYC and there were parades and events all the time and my ears are fine. I think most people who object to these sort of things just live in the wrong city. The only parade that I witnessed that was chaotic was the St. Patty parade due to all the alcoholics... other than that get over yourselves.

It's a city so enjoy stepping in my dog's shit.

Posted on: 2014/3/21 19:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
The city has an obligation to monitor the sound level. By the way you do not know if your hearing is fine unless it has been tested. Besides, children do not have the ability to move on their own.

Posted on: 2014/3/21 19:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
For me that is not true, I lived on Van Vorst Park for 40 plus years. There was the annual Puerto Rican parade, and that was it. But under the Schundler Administration, he expanded parades and festivals. We even gave start up money for these festivals. At one point we give $5,000 for each festival. I believe those funds have been cut out. Personally, it is not fair to young children, when they become adults, they might have ?ringing in the ear.? There is a place for this activity, Liberty State Park, it is wide enough to accommodate festivals plus it has parking.

Really, before moving to JC I grew up in BK, and then later moved to Bleeker st in west village and HK in NYC and there were parades and events all the time and my ears are fine. I think most people who object to these sort of things just live in the wrong city. The only parade that I witnessed that was chaotic was the St. Patty parade due to all the alcoholics... other than that get over yourselves.

Posted on: 2014/3/21 18:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/21 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Totally agree. JC is a multi-ethnic city, why are we in such a rush to turn it into Paramus? As someone noted below, the Bolivian parade is flat-out amazing. A little noise for a few hours is a small price to pay.

Maybe everyone down there is a senior citizen? No one really hangs out down there anyway, I find it the most non exciting place in the entire city, its like a ghost town.

Okay? It's quiet? People live there so maybe that's why they live there? All you A-Holes are so pro-noise until it's right outside your window every friggin' weekend. Yeah, I know, you don't mind, you like it. See how long that lasts. Idiots.

I love culture, and not oppose to parades. If I am idiot because I don't mind a little city life so be it. I left dtjc for a reason because idiots think its the suburbs and its not. If people down there want to raise hell about parades more power to them, its lame down there anyway.

Posted on: 2014/3/21 18:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Totally agree. JC is a multi-ethnic city, why are we in such a rush to turn it into Paramus? As someone noted below, the Bolivian parade is flat-out amazing. A little noise for a few hours is a small price to pay.

Maybe everyone down there is a senior citizen? No one really hangs out down there anyway, I find it the most non exciting place in the entire city, its like a ghost town.

Okay? It's quiet? People live there so maybe that's why they live there? All you A-Holes are so pro-noise until it's right outside your window every friggin' weekend. Yeah, I know, you don't mind, you like it. See how long that lasts. Idiots.

Posted on: 2014/3/21 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The city does a poor job monitoring sounds from festival and parades. The high volume sound does damage to children. I strongly believe this activity should be at LSP. There is no respect for the people who live near parades or festivals.http://www.epa.gov/air/noise/ochp_noise_fs_rev1.pdf

Posted on: 2014/3/21 17:29

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/24 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
There is a community meeting TONIGHT with some members (Danny Rivera, Candice Osborne, Chico Ramchal) of city council, festival organizers, and the community to discuss the Exchange Place festivals, their impact on the community with regards to noise, and what can be done to alleviate it.

Tonight, 7pm, Council Chambers, City Hall

This is not a vote on the proposed ordinance amendment. Rather, it is an open meeting for discussion among the parties listed above, including the community.

If you are concerned about noise from these festivals, this is your chance to be heard.

Posted on: 2014/3/21 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
proposed ordinance tabled.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 17:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/18 2:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

janda wrote:
Most downtown residents support the festivals. The festivals are not just for a few hours, they are 12 hrs, most weekends both days. The problem is the level of noise. When you are on the street the noise from the festival is one thing but when you choose to go home you need for the music to not be deafening in your home. We want to have the festivals at Exchange Place, but the festivals must take the quality of life of the people that live in the area into consideration. I would support any other area in JC to enjoy their time at home as well.

This ^^

No one wants to shut down festivals by Exc Pl but to lower the volume to healthy levels. If you can't imagine what it feels like to be bombarded by extremely high music levels and DJ announcements constantly then come to one of these this summer and stay for 12 hrs. Next day come again and spend 10 hrs plus. Come every weekend for entire summer... now you get the picture what it feels like for local residents in the area.(No I do not hear this noise from my apt and live in DT) No one wants high levels of noise in their backyard.

Posted on: 2014/3/4 21:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/22 20:25
Group:
Registered Users
Most downtown residents support the festivals. The festivals are not just for a few hours, they are 12 hrs, most weekends both days. The problem is the level of noise. When you are on the street the noise from the festival is one thing but when you choose to go home you need for the music to not be deafening in your home. We want to have the festivals at Exchange Place, but the festivals must take the quality of life of the people that live in the area into consideration. I would support any other area in JC to enjoy their time at home as well.

Posted on: 2014/3/4 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
When I was living on Van Vorst Park there was only the annual Puerto Day Parade but under Schundler Administration, parades became every weekend sometimes there was a parade on Saturday and Sunday. Residents could not use their cars. JC is a community with families and babies, I do remember trying to take care of a sick child who was trying to sleep during one of these parades. Parades organizers are private corporations. I have often suggestion these affairs take place at Liberty State Park but was informed the park does not allow alcohol, so the loud noise, broken beer bottles on the ground, and the smell of urine is what people have to deal with so private organizations can make a profit.

Posted on: 2014/3/4 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:

Posted on: 2014/3/4 16:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCishome wrote:

Either you guys aren't reading what's actually being proposed, or you don't care.

What is happening:

Purely changing the end time for festivals on weekends and weekdays:
Closing hour of permitted festivals changed from 12am to 10pm on Friday and Saturday.

Closing hour of permitted festivals changed from 11pm to 8pm on Sunday through Thursday

What is NOT happening:

- No one is limiting the number of festivals
- No one is limiting the volume of festivals
- No one is eroding the multi-cultural fabric of JC

So let's just all relax here. Considering these things can begin by noon (correct me if I am wrong), and most trail off around 8/9 on weekends, this is not a big deal at all. Let's just relax and tone down the rhetoric a little.

Posted on: 2014/3/4 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/4 16:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I understand the problems with loud music. I endure the parades that marched down Montgomery Street passing Van Vorst Park. I still remember in the late 1990s when the music was so loud it set off the car alarms as they passed by. If you are visiting, you can always leave if things become too loud, but if you live near the scene of action, then you are a captive audience every weekend.

Yes, but a captive audience for maybe 30 minutes during parades, and it?s often such an amazingly loud cacophony of battling PA systems that I can?t help but be amused. And then it?s over.

On the other hand, on a nice day when I want to leave the windows open, it's not unusual that I have to endure boring, whitewashed music with no soul, hour after hour, because some people decided that VVP isn?t nice enough without young singer/songwriters pouring their little suburban hearts out over a PA system. Occasionally we get lucky with jazz or somebody with real chops, but most of the time?good heavens.

Posted on: 2014/3/4 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I understand the problems with loud music. I endure the parades that marched down Montgomery Street passing Van Vorst Park. I still remember in the late 1990s when the music was so loud it set off the car alarms as they passed by. If you are visiting, you can always leave if things become too loud, but if you live near the scene of action, then you are a captive audience every weekend.

Posted on: 2014/3/4 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

It's simply a poorly thought-out ordinance, irrespective of it's laudable goals to solve a local issue. What next? A Morris Canal park dog poop ordinance? A smoking ban at bus stops on Montgomery?

Come up with ordinances that work city-wide. They may be tougher to formulate, but JC residents deserve that consistency.

My understanding is that Exchange Place is being targeted for this because a significant number of people in surrounding residences complained about it. Why enact an ordinance city-wide for a problem that is very acute and localized?

Let's say they move festival destinations to the waterfront, or the pier, or Grove Street, or Morris Canal park, or Journal Square? Or wherever. Should we enact a new ordinance every time it becomes an issue?

Doesn't the City issue licenses for festivals and block parties? Why not just limit them to say 2 late night licenses per year per block/plaza/park?

Posted on: 2014/3/4 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

It's simply a poorly thought-out ordinance, irrespective of it's laudable goals to solve a local issue. What next? A Morris Canal park dog poop ordinance? A smoking ban at bus stops on Montgomery?

Come up with ordinances that work city-wide. They may be tougher to formulate, but JC residents deserve that consistency.

My understanding is that Exchange Place is being targeted for this because a significant number of people in surrounding residences complained about it. Why enact an ordinance city-wide for a problem that is very acute and localized?

Posted on: 2014/3/4 13:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
DTJC, just to clarify, the poop ordinance is already in existence, city wide as is the leash laws. Significantly increased enforcement is next on the agenda. Since dog owners refuse to regulate themselves, well, the city is just going to have to help out a little in the reeducation on this matter. And they will.

The excuse of "sorry officer I didn't know" isn't going to cut it either.

Yep - perhaps Morris Canal park wasn't the best example. I was trying to point out the dangers of writing an ordinance specific to location. What is to stop similar, but different ordinances, being created across the city, so that we end up with a patchwork quilt of them? It's tough enough to get the city-wide ones enforced, never mind location-specific ones. Also what's to stop the Exchange Place festivals simply switching to say Grove Street?

The proposed ordinance sets a bad precedent, and affords residents living near Exchange Place a protection denied to other parts of the city. I'd recommend putting a bit of work into it, and coming up with a better ordinance that works city-wide.

Posted on: 2014/3/4 5:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
DTJC, just to clarify, the poop ordinance is already in existence, city wide as is the leash laws. Significantly increased enforcement is next on the agenda. Since dog owners refuse to regulate themselves, well, the city is just going to have to help out a little in the reeducation on this matter. And they will.

The excuse of "sorry officer I didn't know" isn't going to cut it either.

Posted on: 2014/3/4 5:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

frankm wrote:
Quote:

DanL wrote:
just to clarify - the proposed ordinance pushes Friday and Saturday nights back to 10pm and Sunday thru Thursday back to 8pm, music (and alcohol) pushed back an hour further to 9pm on weekends and 7pm weekdays including Sunday evening. If it becomes a trend, it would impact Groove on Grove and other Grove St. events, Diwali and numerous other ethnic festivals and feasts throughout the city. I guess in my mind Exchange Place is a commercial/mixed use area with a 25 plus year history of hosting events and festivals.

Hopefully, there is further discussion and compromise. Either way, for me its disappointing that the ordinance went on the council agenda before any public discussion (beyond perhaps the local neighborhood assocation.)

The councilperson who initiated the ordinance has been oddly silent here, and most everywhere else including absent from the council meeting when it was introduced this past week.

The councilperson, Candice Osborne, is not silent on this and she was present at the meeting when it was introduced last week.

She's answering questions on this proposed ordinance on her facebook page. I recommend you take a look there and it may clear up the many misperceptions posted here.
https://www.facebook.com/candice.osborne

She's also posted a link that explains more detail about the proposed change.
http://candiceosborne.com/updates/wee ... to-the-festival-ordinance

The bottom line: This focuses only on Exchange Place and it's goal it to strike a balance for the residents in that area while keeping the festivals alive and well. This does not affect Groove on Grove, Diwali, and the many other festivals throughout other parts of the city.

Many of the residents I've spoken with in the Exchange Place/Paulus Hook area (I live there too), attend these festivals as a form of entertainment, want them to continue (which they will), but also would like for them to quiet down at a reasonable hour on an evening when they they have to get up early for work the next morning.

Posted on: 2014/3/4 4:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the link. A direct link to the proposal:

I'd say it makes a lot of sense, and is much more narrow than some people suggest. E.g. it won't affect other festivals in the city, it doesn't restrict the number of festivals at Exchange Place. It just shortens them by a couple of hours.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 23:35

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/24 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
just to clarify - the proposed ordinance pushes Friday and Saturday nights back to 10pm and Sunday thru Thursday back to 8pm, music (and alcohol) pushed back an hour further to 9pm on weekends and 7pm weekdays including Sunday evening. If it becomes a trend, it would impact Groove on Grove and other Grove St. events, Diwali and numerous other ethnic festivals and feasts throughout the city. I guess in my mind Exchange Place is a commercial/mixed use area with a 25 plus year history of hosting events and festivals.

Hopefully, there is further discussion and compromise. Either way, for me its disappointing that the ordinance went on the council agenda before any public discussion (beyond perhaps the local neighborhood assocation.)

The councilperson who initiated the ordinance has been oddly silent here, and most everywhere else including absent from the council meeting when it was introduced this past week.

The councilperson, Candice Osborne, is not silent on this and she was present at the meeting when it was introduced last week.

She's answering questions on this proposed ordinance on her facebook page. I recommend you take a look there and it may clear up the many misperceptions posted here.
https://www.facebook.com/candice.osborne

She's also posted a link that explains more detail about the proposed change.

The bottom line: This focuses only on Exchange Place and it's goal it to strike a balance for the residents in that area while keeping the festivals alive and well. This does not affect Groove on Grove, Diwali, and the many other festivals throughout other parts of the city.

Many of the residents I've spoken with in the Exchange Place/Paulus Hook area (I live there too), attend these festivals as a form of entertainment, want them to continue (which they will), but also would like for them to quiet down at a reasonable hour on an evening when they they have to get up early for work the next morning.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 21:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
+1!!! This is ridiculous.

Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Why are so many people bent on turning JC into a quiet suburb? I live within hearing range of the Exchange Place festivals. Sure, it gets a little thumpy with that loud bass the youngsters seem to like, but it's just temporary, and it's kind of a fun sound of summer.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Why are so many people bent on turning JC into a quiet suburb? I live within hearing range of the Exchange Place festivals. Sure, it gets a little thumpy with that loud bass the youngsters seem to like, but it's just temporary, and it's kind of a fun sound of summer.

Didn't you hear? Jersey City is being rebranded as the city of people with gigantic sticks up their asses.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/3 17:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:

How will this impact the annual Catholic and Italian street fairs that occur on the weekends during the summer months ? They have live bands playing from beggining to end of each day of their feasts and festivals.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 16:22
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/3 15:23

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017