Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Ben Crump, Trayvon Martin family lawyer to speak at NJCU
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Should this not be explored, right here in NJ? Two thug teens kill a church going, union welder? I'd say this is even more outrageous than the Martin/Zimmerman case.

http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/ ... html#incart_river_default

It is a very good thing that man didn't have a gun to defend himself with. And if he shot those poor misunderstood kids he should have gone to prison. In any event, as it stands events don't bother VV, and she will undoubtedly suggest that if we want to reduce incidents like these that we should spend more money on those kids, because the real culprit here is inequality. People shouldn't protect themselves at all, they should have a DIALOGUE across communities.

Ah, yes... kind of like, Bernie Goetz shouldn't have shot those four guys coming after him with screwdrivers, he should have said something like, "Young man, crime isn't the answer, let me give you directions to a food pantry". Of course!

Exactly. Or offered them a job, but only if they felt like working and didn't find the concept oppressive. If they did he should just have offered them his wallet. Instead he offered them bullets because he is an evil racist conservative.

But seriously, liberals are insane.

Posted on: 2014/3/14 11:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Should this not be explored, right here in NJ? Two thug teens kill a church going, union welder? I'd say this is even more outrageous than the Martin/Zimmerman case.

It is a very good thing that man didn't have a gun to defend himself with. And if he shot those poor misunderstood kids he should have gone to prison. In any event, as it stands events don't bother VV, and she will undoubtedly suggest that if we want to reduce incidents like these that we should spend more money on those kids, because the real culprit here is inequality. People shouldn't protect themselves at all, they should have a DIALOGUE across communities.

Ah, yes... kind of like, Bernie Goetz shouldn't have shot those four guys coming after him with screwdrivers, he should have said something like, "Young man, crime isn't the answer, let me give you directions to a food pantry". Of course!

Posted on: 2014/3/14 4:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2014/3/14 1:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/13 23:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
If that's the case then I still don't agree with her at all but I'd retroactively tone down my sarcasm.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 19:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
This is the tower of Babel, you clearly don't understand what I'm saying with inane comments like this and devoid of perspective and nuance. "He was too white for your tastes" ... In no way did I say that and I don't even know what that means. His brother passes for white (when I said constructively white added with their dad and surname) and it's no secret that the family doesn't like black people per the article which is really about families absorbing anti-black views -- an intrinsic facet of this country since its inception. And nice race baiting on your part (he's not lily white but Hispanic for affirmative action purposes and job applications). When you lament the deplorable state of race relations in this country, do realize you're part of the problem. http://alumni.berkeley.edu/california ... tles-berkeley-prof-blasts

http://www.democracynow.org/2014/1/14 ... itics_how_politicians_use

Oh, Democracy Now, now that's a reputable organization that presents issues in an unbiased forum. Aren't they the same idiots who are constantly touting Mumia Abu Jamal's innocence? Mumia had more evidence against him than O.J. Simpson and thankfully is in prison where he belongs.

In any case, you previously mentioned that George Zimmerman could "at least be made penniless in a civil trial". Trayvon Martin's parents already settled with the homeowners' association for a reported $1 million.

Furthermore, Zimmerman is already relying on others to pay his own attorneys and I doubt has much to sue for anyway. On top of that, even if Zimmerman owns his home, Florida laws would prevent him from losing it in a civil suit (O.J. Simpson moved to Florida for that very reason during the civil trial).

This lawyer reminds me of Ron Kuby, the guy who filed a lawsuit against Bernie Goetz for his shooting of Darrell Cabey and won a $40 million judgment against him, despite Bernie being found not guilty on the grounds of self-defense in the ciminal trial. How much of that judgment has been collected since it was decided in 1996? Exactly zero. Bernie already spent everything on his own lawyers by the time the lawsuit was over. Darrell got nothing, Bernie ended up with nothing, but Ron Kuby got plenty of free publicity for his law practice and still enjoys a "celebrity lawyer" status today. I cringe every time I see him on TV or hear him on the radio.

This is the same crap that Mr. Crump is pulling because he knows full well a civil suit against Zimmerman is a waste of time and court resources.

WRONG! This is about Justice! To say anything otherwise makes you a racist devil! I won't listen! (and yes, in VanVorster's last post he said those who don't want Zimmerman in jail are "devils")

To be fair to her, I believe she was simply shortening my name.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 19:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
This is the tower of Babel, you clearly don't understand what I'm saying with inane comments like this and devoid of perspective and nuance. "He was too white for your tastes" ... In no way did I say that and I don't even know what that means. His brother passes for white (when I said constructively white added with their dad and surname) and it's no secret that the family doesn't like black people per the article which is really about families absorbing anti-black views -- an intrinsic facet of this country since its inception. And nice race baiting on your part (he's not lily white but Hispanic for affirmative action purposes and job applications). When you lament the deplorable state of race relations in this country, do realize you're part of the problem. http://alumni.berkeley.edu/california ... tles-berkeley-prof-blasts

Oh, Democracy Now, now that's a reputable organization that presents issues in an unbiased forum. Aren't they the same idiots who are constantly touting Mumia Abu Jamal's innocence? Mumia had more evidence against him than O.J. Simpson and thankfully is in prison where he belongs.

In any case, you previously mentioned that George Zimmerman could "at least be made penniless in a civil trial". Trayvon Martin's parents already settled with the homeowners' association for a reported $1 million.

Furthermore, Zimmerman is already relying on others to pay his own attorneys and I doubt has much to sue for anyway. On top of that, even if Zimmerman owns his home, Florida laws would prevent him from losing it in a civil suit (O.J. Simpson moved to Florida for that very reason during the civil trial).

This lawyer reminds me of Ron Kuby, the guy who filed a lawsuit against Bernie Goetz for his shooting of Darrell Cabey and won a $40 million judgment against him, despite Bernie being found not guilty on the grounds of self-defense in the ciminal trial. How much of that judgment has been collected since it was decided in 1996? Exactly zero. Bernie already spent everything on his own lawyers by the time the lawsuit was over. Darrell got nothing, Bernie ended up with nothing, but Ron Kuby got plenty of free publicity for his law practice and still enjoys a "celebrity lawyer" status today. I cringe every time I see him on TV or hear him on the radio.

This is the same crap that Mr. Crump is pulling because he knows full well a civil suit against Zimmerman is a waste of time and court resources.

WRONG! This is about Justice! To say anything otherwise makes you a racist devil! I won't listen! (and yes, in VanVorster's last post he said those who don't want Zimmerman in jail are "devils")

Posted on: 2014/3/13 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:

Posted on: 2014/3/13 18:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
JCMan you say Devilsadvocate using lynching was inflammatory but then you back pedal and equivocate and say "well I sort of get his point." The fact is Zimmerman is alive and well and most recently a cause celebre at a gun show in Orlando and selling his trifling art. Yes, there were angry people (not a large segment) upset spouting nonsense about his death but nothing has happened to him and people were rightfully angry -- there were no riots after the Martin trial as predicted or any melees after Renisha McBride, Jonathan Farrell or Jordan Davis. You like Devils are devoid of empathy and any understanding and it's quite pathetic and sad and a sad commentary on your humanity or lack thereof. Devils brought up Zimmerman being Hispanic (and threw in Affirmative Action for good measure as a dog whistle) ostensibly to switch from the traditional black/white paradigm and that as a Hispanic he would have shot a white person too. I said that other racial groups (Hispanics, Asians, etc) can emulate and absorb the inherent racist anti-black views in this country (sounds like his mother certainly did); and moreover, that George's brother (Robert) could conceivably identify as white/constructively white and not have any affinity with being a minority in this country or particularly empathizing with black people.

http://www.timwise.org/2012/03/trayvo ... -of-blackness-in-america/

I did say "attempted" lynching, not actual. The posting of his address by celebs (and others) to encourage vigilante violence is, in fact, behavior to drive harm to Zimmerman. The fact that nothing happened (likely because he went into hiding and they were posting incorrect addresses) doesn't absolve those who worked to ensure he was a victim of mob violence up to and including death.

I brought up his race because race is stupidly front and center here. He isn't some lily white, KKK member and this is a relevant detail. In fact, he lived in a heavily mixed neighborhood. His black neighbors generally supported him and could have easily signed his death warrant by corroborating the prosecution's version of events. Nevertheless, some race baiters (you, to be clear) continue on this path regardless. And it is the ONLY reason you give a flying crap. But no, you'll continue to spout nonsense about how he can STILL be racist because we can paint him as constructively white [insert further critical race theory BS here].

Seriously, stop with the nonsense. Trayvon attacked someone who defended themselves, got shot, and now you're pissed because of the races of those involved. If Trayvon had killed Zimmerman then I 100% guarantee you that you would have shrugged and not cared. And I further guarantee you that if Zimmerman was black and Trayvon was white, then you would throw a fit if Zimmerman was even put on trial. That's your worldview, and it is disgusting.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 17:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users
JCMan you say Devilsadvocate using lynching was inflammatory but then you back pedal and equivocate and say "well I sort of get his point." The fact is Zimmerman is alive and well and most recently a cause celebre at a gun show in Orlando and selling his trifling art. Yes, there were angry people (not a large segment) upset spouting nonsense about his death but nothing has happened to him and people were rightfully angry -- there were no riots after the Martin trial as predicted or any melees after Renisha McBride, Jonathan Farrell or Jordan Davis. You like Devils are devoid of empathy and any understanding and it's quite pathetic and sad and a sad commentary on your humanity or lack thereof. Devils brought up Zimmerman being Hispanic (and threw in Affirmative Action for good measure as a dog whistle) ostensibly to switch from the traditional black/white paradigm and that as a Hispanic he would have shot a white person too. I said that other racial groups (Hispanics, Asians, etc) can emulate and absorb the inherent racist anti-black views in this country (sounds like his mother certainly did); and moreover, that George's brother (Robert) could conceivably identify as white/constructively white and not have any affinity with being a minority in this country or particularly empathizing with black people.

http://www.timwise.org/2012/03/trayvo ... -of-blackness-in-america/

Posted on: 2014/3/13 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
How is constructively white (i.e. passing) offensive or remotely equivalent to saying Zimmerman is being lynched? You never heard of the term "passing" or saw actual lynching photos in the US?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passing_(racial_identity)

Sounds like you both need better education on the history of this country. http://www.nj.com/gloucester-county/i ... erty_law_center_says.html

Adhere to No 5. in the Rules (be polite, on topic and CONSTRUCTIVE with the content of your posts).

Oh I understood what the term meant. I just reject the entire perspective of society that accepts such terminology, along with the academic departments that proliferate the inherently divisive ideology behind it while being funded with taxpayer dollars.

By the way, folks, if you want to get really pissed off I suggest you check out what comes out of African American Studies, Women Studies and other identity based faculties. You're getting just a small taste right here in this thread. And remember, as you're reading their offensive nonsense, that you're paying for it with your tax dollars which are being distributed to the University under the guise of educating our youth.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
How is constructively white (i.e. passing) offensive or remotely equivalent to saying Zimmerman is being lynched? You never heard of the term "passing" or saw actual lynching photos in the US?

Sounds like you both need better education on the history of this country. http://www.nj.com/gloucester-county/i ... erty_law_center_says.html

Adhere to No 5. in the Rules (be polite, on topic and CONSTRUCTIVE with the content of your posts).

I think he was being unnecessarily inflammatory by using the term "lynched" but I get his point. The result many Zimmerman haters want is the same as the old-school lynchers: Zimmerman's death.

I don't understand your use of "constructively white" at all. It seems like a ridiculous term. What is your point, that because he was "constructively white" this means what he did is somehow worse? You weren't very familiar with the facts as discussed at trial and there was substantial evidence to suggest Martin jumped Zimmerman. Sorry, he had no right to do that.

I also agree with the sentiment that had Zimmerman been black, you and many others wouldn't give two shits about Treyvon or this case.

Speaking of the old school version of lynching, you had a bunch of Trayvon supporters trying to tweet Zimmerman's location to encourage someone to actually show up and kill him.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
lynching them? and the troll award goes to you.

Thank you. I'd like to say that I worked hard to earn this award but it would be a lie. I certainly believe that your "constructively white" line deserves a runner up award, and possibly really should take the prize as it was far more subtle trolling than anything I could muster.

But seriously, you guys want Zimmerman dead. I have seen actual arguments from people along the lines of "I am generally against the death penalty but I'd like to make an exception here." Why? Because Trayvon was black and Zimmerman "constructively white." Stop and reflect on this for a moment and you will see the problem I'm highlighting. Or at least you would if you were intellectually honest and not a race baiting real life troll that was working really hard to further ruin what remains of this country.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:

I think he was being unnecessarily inflammatory by using the term "lynched" but I get his point. The result many Zimmerman haters want is the same as the old-school lynchers: Zimmerman's death.

I don't understand your use of "constructively white" at all. It seems like a ridiculous term. What is your point, that because he was "constructively white" this means what he did is somehow worse? You weren't very familiar with the facts as discussed at trial and there was substantial evidence to suggest Martin jumped Zimmerman. Sorry, he had no right to do that.

I also agree with the sentiment that had Zimmerman been black, you and many others wouldn't give two shits about Treyvon or this case.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/13 16:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:

constructively white? and the troll award goes to you.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/13 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:

Yeah, so "they are constructively white with the dad and their surname" essentially means "we can label them as white and continue our attempt at lynching them." I also appreciate your cites to various liberal propaganda sites. Very nice, I certainly am convinced. The ones coming out academia are far more depressing, and I really hope that certain departments see their budgets cut in favor of legitimate programs, such as STEM related fields.

By the way, the reason we have terrible race relations isn't me, it is you. I have no interest in ever hearing about race or thinking about race. The facts are all that matter, and I basically think race-based anything should be absolutely banished. Yes, that includes things like affirmative action. You, on the other hand, want to inject race into everything. The reason Trayvon/Zimmerman is a problem is because of people like you insisting it is all about race. Full stop.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 0:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/12 21:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
I said I wasn't fearful at all as I've only felt unsafe once in the two decades being here and I don't understand why anyone else needs a gun or knife, pepper spray I get. As to Zimmerman being Hispanic, that's irrelevant. Hispanics and other minorities can exhibit anti-black animus and judging by his brother's statements, they likely feel their being Hispanic is incidental, completely assimilated and that they are constructively white with the dad and their surname. http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/07 ... -of-the-Zimmerman-Family#

Plenty of blacks hate whites (and Hispanics and Asians) as well. Not sure what your point here is. Should we start painting every black on white/Hispanic/Asian incident as some indication or racism as well? Let me repeat: the race baiting here is absolutely blatant and absurd. And had Zimmerman been black you wouldn't be here crying. Unfortunately, he was "too white" for your tastes, which is problematic, in my book. It shouldn't matter at all.

As to your feelings of safety or lack thereof, they are yours. I do not share them. One of the reason for that is the proliferation of Trayvon Martins and people who defend/enable them. Note that I don't limit that to people of color. I mean that of generally shady people. No, shady doesn't have anything to do with color in this context.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I said I wasn't fearful at all as I've only felt unsafe once in the two decades being here and I don't understand why anyone else needs a gun or knife, pepper spray I get. As to Zimmerman being Hispanic, that's irrelevant. Hispanics and other minorities can exhibit anti-black animus and judging by his brother's statements, they likely feel their being Hispanic is incidental, completely assimilated and that they are constructively white with the dad and their surname. http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/07 ... -of-the-Zimmerman-Family#

Posted on: 2014/3/12 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
Yes it's patently obvious you don't have an issue with the Zimmerman verdict from what you've written; and when Trayvon Martin is dead and you blithely laud Zimmerman by saying "he was actually doing something good and making things better" well, we see how that worked out for Trayvon. He pursued someone who was coming back from a convenience store buying skittles; and yes, public pressure caused him to be arrested and in that time for him to concoct his questionable story ("tonight you die" his injuries didn't look fatal or serious on police screens). He presumed that Travyon was up to no good just because he was black and saying "they always get away." Again had he NOT had a gun, I don't think he would have gotten out of his car. Even though there had been a spate of break-ins, he was obsessed and called the police 50 or so times when seeing someone he deemed suspicious, hypervigilant much. As a person of color, I do not want to be hesitant about my movements, go-abouts, gestures or what I am wearing out simply in the aim of appeasing the sensibilities of someone like a Zimmerman or you for that matter. I've lived in downtown Jersey City for 20 years and only once have I felt unsafe and it was because I was walking from Harsimus Cove back to my house at 3 AM from a friend's place. 1 time in 20 years for me doesn't warrant a gun or knife and me having to prep for when thugs attack. I had an incident where a woman clutched her purse on my bldg's elevator (she was visiting a resident) and I sort of had to chuckle at how preposterous. http://kirwaninstitute.osu.edu/implic ... merman-trial-and-verdict/

I like how you make it sound that Zimmerman just attacked out of the blue, even though that is highly unlikely. In fact, what is the most likely thing is that Trayvon attacked, at which point he took the risk of getting shot. That's why you shouldn't attack people, and if that is the broader social message that comes out of this then I'm very happy with that. The racial aspect is totally unnecessary here, I'm pretty sure Zimmerman (who would be seen as Hispanic on any college or job application), would have happily shot a white person attacking him as well. Which, I would similarly applaud. Oh, and Zimmerman didn't need to be mortally wounded before shooting his attacker. Simply being attacked and that attack being capable of causing grave bodily harm is good enough. And that is smart policy.

By the way, I note you haven't been keeping up with the Zimmerman case. You've said a bunch of stuff here that is just wrong. For one, he didn't think Trayvon was a criminal because he was black. A huge portion of that community was black, so that wasn't special. Trayvon was looking into various windows to see if he could identify crap worth stealing. There was a bunch of crime in Zimmerman's community.

As to you being a person of color and somehow reading into this that maybe you should be afraid, that is both strange and baffling. Do you plan on attacking people? If not then I don't see why you have cause for concern.

As to you not feeling the need for a knife or a gun - great. Those are choices you can make regardless of CCW or SYG.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 16:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yes it's patently obvious you don't have an issue with the Zimmerman verdict from what you've written; and when Trayvon Martin is dead and you blithely laud Zimmerman by saying "he was actually doing something good and making things better" well, we see how that worked out for Trayvon. He pursued someone who was coming back from a convenience store buying skittles; and yes, public pressure caused him to be arrested and in that time for him to concoct his questionable story ("tonight you die" his injuries didn't look fatal or serious on police screens). He presumed that Travyon was up to no good just because he was black and saying "they always get away." Again had he NOT had a gun, I don't think he would have gotten out of his car. Even though there had been a spate of break-ins, he was obsessed and called the police 50 or so times when seeing someone he deemed suspicious, hypervigilant much. As a person of color, I do not want to be hesitant about my movements, go-abouts, gestures or what I am wearing out simply in the aim of appeasing the sensibilities of someone like a Zimmerman or you for that matter. I've lived in downtown Jersey City for 20 years and only once have I felt unsafe and it was because I was walking from Harsimus Cove back to my house at 3 AM from a friend's place. 1 time in 20 years for me doesn't warrant a gun or knife and me having to prep for when thugs attack. I had an incident where a woman clutched her purse on my bldg's elevator (she was visiting a resident) and I sort of had to chuckle at how preposterous. http://kirwaninstitute.osu.edu/implic ... merman-trial-and-verdict/

Posted on: 2014/3/12 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
Both Zimmerman and Dunn felt bravado and machismo because they had guns. Plain and simple. In the former, Zimmerman got out go his car and pursued Trayvon who was on the phone saying someone was following him. In the latter, Dunn approached kids in a car to tell them to turn down their music while he went into a convenience store parking lot. Query if they would have been so bold without guns. They were champing at the bit to have an excuse to use it. You said earlier you wished or hoped they had SYG in NJ, do you live in a crime ridden area? Crime has been going down for years and I've never felt the need to have a gun wherever I've lived. And congratulations for going to elite schools, so did I and it's irrelevant for purposes of this discussion.

Again, lumping Zimmerman and Dunn together is stupid. For one, I don't have an issue with what happened with Zimmerman. Zimmerman was attacked, he defended himself, that's fine by me. In fact, I would argue that the system worked as intended here. Would I have done what Zimmerman did? No, but then again I have done nothing to make my area safer. Really, absolutely nothing. Zimmerman was actually trying to make things better, got attacked during that, and defended himself. The only reason the police even bothered arresting him after hearing the facts was political pressure.

Dunn was pissed off because he heard loud music, so he shot up a car full of what he interpreted as disrespectful teens. That's an illegal act, and he'll go to prison for life for that. His SYG defense was a bolt on because it was his only chance at escaping, and again the system appropriately shot down his attempt.

Crime has gone down nationwide. That said, I would like the ability to protect myself from whatever thugs decide to attack me. Hopefully, that would never happen. But if it did then I want CCW and SYG. How would CCW and SYG change my actions? Can't imagine they would. I carry a knife now and it doesn't have an impact. Of course, with CCW and SYG you're free NOT to purchase a gun.

The reason I mentioned the elite schools is to highlight that colleges are really not an open forum of ideas. They just are not. Even our nation's best have low tolerance for "unacceptable viewpoints." Those who have graduated from these institutions often joke about the various liberal speak we have learned, including about "repressive ideologies", microaggressions and other assorted nonsense.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Both Zimmerman and Dunn felt bravado and machismo because they had guns. Plain and simple. In the former, Zimmerman got out go his car and pursued Trayvon who was on the phone saying someone was following him. In the latter, Dunn approached kids in a car to tell them to turn down their music while he went into a convenience store parking lot. Query if they would have been so bold without guns. They were champing at the bit to have an excuse to use it. You said earlier you wished or hoped they had SYG in NJ, do you live in a crime ridden area? Crime has been going down for years and I've never felt the need to have a gun wherever I've lived. And congratulations for going to elite schools, so did I and it's irrelevant for purposes of this discussion.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 0:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
NJCU is a very special place, and a diversity of opinion is welcomed and respected.
Please come.
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

murican wrote:
The program takes place on a university campus where a diversity of opinions is expected and encouraged, that is how we exchange ideas, learn and grow.
Please attend!

Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
[quote]

Have fun. I realize that my opinions, though supported by the court, should not be stated publicly.

Good one. I have multiple degrees from elite institutions and I always had a good understanding that espousing any viewpoint that could be perceived as politically incorrect is a massive liability. I have seen it actually happen to really good people.

Posted on: 2014/3/11 20:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

murican wrote:
The program takes place on a university campus where a diversity of opinions is expected and encouraged, that is how we exchange ideas, learn and grow.
Please attend!

Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
[quote]

Have fun. I realize that my opinions, though supported by the court, should not be stated publicly.

Good one. I have multiple degrees from elite institutions and I always had a good understanding that espousing any viewpoint that could be perceived as politically incorrect is a massive liability. I have seen it actually happen to really good people.

Posted on: 2014/3/11 20:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
You're entitled to your opinions like everyone else and I'm entitled to vehemently disagree with them. Implicitly, not expressly by the 4 corners of the statute, SYG can mean "be trigger happy, shoot first and ask questions later." There's no duty to retreat when one has a lawful right to be some place and you're entitled to use force, including deadly force, if you're in imminent fear of your life, even when that fear is irrational. I don't trust Zimmerman's story and Trayvon isn't here to refute it. I think Zimmerman got his ass kicked and didn't like it and shot the kid ("Tonight you die!" is what he said Trayvon said to him, not believing it). Likewise the cop in the movie theater shot the dad and Michael Dunn said he THOUGHT he saw a gun in the car of the kids in the convenience store parking lot. All these cases emanate from the South where people are zealots about their guns/second amendment rights and want to be dirty harry. And implicitly this deals with race when you juxtapose these cases with Melissa Alexander (the domestic violence case where NO ONE was actually shot and she's still in jail) and not being able to fathom black people being exonerated for shooting white kids out of fear.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum ... play-role-zimmerman-trial

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2 ... -zimmerman-trayvon-martin

Duty to retreat is a silly idea when one is attacked. And again, it wasn't even used in the Zimmerman trial. He had no duty to retreat even without SYG because while on the ground getting his head pounded against the pavement he had no ability to retreat.

In terms of your suspicions, realize that you have to prove items beyond a reasonable doubt. Your theories about Zimmerman are not substantiated by a single reliable witness. Except, I do note that if he was "getting his ass kicked", insofar as being attacked (a victim of assault and battery), then of course he had the right to shoot. Why would you expect otherwise? If you mean he started the fight, then you need to submit evidence, as that's how our criminal justice system works. There was none.

Dunn was quite different. The SYG defense was, according to his own fiance, created far later. There were witnesses, and pretty much everyone corroborated a story that indicated his guilt. You shouldn't feel too sad about that particular case, because he will spend the rest of his life in prison. So in what way are you not satisfied?

From what I've glanced in the Melissa Alexander case (and admittedly, it wasn't much), the outcome seems strange. But I hate to discuss cases without all the details.

Posted on: 2014/3/11 20:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
um, the actual text was.

Implicitly, not expressly by the 4 corners of the statute, SYG can mean "be trigger happy, shoot first and ask questions later."

Posted on: 2014/3/11 19:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users

SYG can mean "be trigger happy, shoot first and ask questions later."

No it doesn't. Copy of the Florida Castle Doctrine (which has been amended to include SYG) is below. PA has a similar law but requires the one threatening bodily harm to have a weapon. Mind you, if he assaults you without a weapon (say just using fists) SYG does not apply as it is now a case of self defense.

[b]Florida's Castle Doctrine[/b]

776.012?Use of force in defense of person.?A person is justified in using force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other?s imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat if:
(1)?He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony; or
(2)?Under those circumstances permitted pursuant to s. 776.013.
History.?s. 13, ch. 74-383; s. 1188, ch. 97-102; s. 2, ch. 2005-27.

776.013?Home protection; use of deadly force; presumption of fear of death or great bodily harm.?
(1)?A person is presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another when using defensive force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to another if:
(a)?The person against whom the defensive force was used was in the process of unlawfully and forcefully entering, or had unlawfully and forcibly entered, a dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle, or if that person had removed or was attempting to remove another against that person?s will from the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle; and
(b)?The person who uses defensive force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry or unlawful and forcible act was occurring or had occurred.
(2)?The presumption set forth in subsection (1) does not apply if:
(a)?The person against whom the defensive force is used has the right to be in or is a lawful resident of the dwelling, residence, or vehicle, such as an owner, lessee, or titleholder, and there is not an injunction for protection from domestic violence or a written pretrial supervision order of no contact against that person; or
(b)?The person or persons sought to be removed is a child or grandchild, or is otherwise in the lawful custody or under the lawful guardianship of, the person against whom the defensive force is used; or
(c)?The person who uses defensive force is engaged in an unlawful activity or is using the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle to further an unlawful activity; or
(d)?The person against whom the defensive force is used is a law enforcement officer, as defined in s. 943.10(14), who enters or attempts to enter a dwelling, residence, or vehicle in the performance of his or her official duties and the officer identified himself or herself in accordance with any applicable law or the person using force knew or reasonably should have known that the person entering or attempting to enter was a law enforcement officer.
(3)?A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.
(4)?A person who unlawfully and by force enters or attempts to enter a person?s dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle is presumed to be doing so with the intent to commit an unlawful act involving force or violence.
(5)?As used in this section, the term:
(a)??Dwelling? means a building or conveyance of any kind, including any attached porch, whether the building or conveyance is temporary or permanent, mobile or immobile, which has a roof over it, including a tent, and is designed to be occupied by people lodging therein at night.
(b)??Residence? means a dwelling in which a person resides either temporarily or permanently or is visiting as an invited guest.
(c)??Vehicle? means a conveyance of any kind, whether or not motorized, which is designed to transport people or property.
History.?s. 1, ch. 2005-27.

776.031?Use of force in defense of others.?A person is justified in the use of force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to prevent or terminate the other?s trespass on, or other tortious or criminal interference with, either real property other than a dwelling or personal property, lawfully in his or her possession or in the possession of another who is a member of his or her immediate family or household or of a person whose property he or she has a legal duty to protect. However, the person is justified in the use of deadly force only if he or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony. A person does not have a duty to retreat if the person is in a place where he or she has a right to be.
History.?s. 13, ch. 74-383; s. 1189, ch. 97-102; s. 3, ch. 2005-27.

Posted on: 2014/3/11 19:00

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017